Safeway

2.8
1,216 Reviews

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards
Robert Edwards

Pros
  • Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days (in 47 reviews)

• Nice people, they promote from within, offer good benefits for mgmt (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is really off considering your schedule changes drastically every week (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models (in 55 reviews)

More Highlights

They overwork you due to unrealistic staffing cuts. There is a high expectation on standards and measurable goals that are difficult to make with little to no help.

I worked at Safeway full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They are a leader when it comes to training. If there is a family emergency they are very supportive in your time of need.

Cons

The salary sounds good on paper until you find put you need to live for the job. Work life balance a a big ZERO. If you needed an accommodation for the work life balance( I have 2 young kids) they offered a demotion. They have management cut help so much to make a profit that you the salaried employee is expected to work unreasonable hours to achieve results.

Get your act together corporate. Every store is not the same. The way you treat your salaried employees is illegal and unethical.

Uncertainty.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free coffee. Nice cafeterias for employees. Heath challenge activities.

Cons

Lots of uncertainty now due to the pending merger. No job security.

Good company but think before applying

Current Employee - Category Analyst in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lifework balance good people okay benefits okay pay love the gym

Cons

Everyone at corporate is going to have to reapply for their positions there will be layoffs since we are merging with Albertson's is going to be a very lean matrix pay scale will change less jobs and lots of positions are going away

If you're thinking about applying for a position I would wait until after the merger to see what positions will be available the new structure is going to be a very lean matrix which means less jobs might be lower payand I don't think the company is going to be as diverse as it is

Company used to be a good employer.

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Safeway part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are opportunities for advancement with no degree required. Health insurance is adequate once you reach third level and have full benefits (dental, eye and health/welfare).

Cons

Upper management is hostile to workforce and tends to "rule the kingdom" by intimidation. It is quite common to see or hear management berate employees on the sales floor in front of customers. Management ignores time off requests even those for doctor/dental appointments. I've been dropped by my primary physician because I had to cancel too many appointments due to scheduling. Company has created a hostile environment by setting high standards and then slashing the workforce to the point where these standards are unobtainable and then threatening employees with write ups for failure. Company claims to provide an equal opportunity workplace for women and minorities but the reality is that the farther away you get from the immediate division/district office area the less likely this is to occur, especially in the rural areas where there is a definite "good old boy" attitude.

Company needs to open it's eyes to what is really going on in the stores and realize that customers can feel the bad atmosphere that is being created and will shop elsewhere. The desire to suppress wage and compensation has led to a revolving door where we are constantly training (or attempting to train) new hires that through no fault of their own have no clue regarding their job. Many of the programs that have been implemented would work if we had a well trained experienced crew. It's sad to see a once vibrant company slowly destroying itself...

Okay part-time

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Walla Walla, WA
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Walla Walla, WA

I worked at Safeway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Part-time work with little experience

Cons

Pay is poor compared to industry

Decent for a Teen Starter Job

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Reston, VA

I have been working at Safeway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a 10% employee discount on Safeway Brand products. It is good to gain a little work experience

Cons

Borderline minimum wage. The back room for employees only is quite repulsive. Everyone hates their job, no matter the position. The management, they are hypocrites who are lazy in what they do, some are even rude. They can be demeaning.

If you want to be respected as a manager, show respect to your employees. This will not cause for insubordination, this will just ensure a steady working environment; An environment in which each individual will adhere to your request without distaste for yourself or the job in which they currently hold. Show them that you not only give orders, but that you yourself also does what is necessary in order to maintain a clean, well-polished, well-reputed, efficient store.

Category Analyst

Current Employee - Category Analyst in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I very much enjoy my team. The work is challenging and i work long hours but the experience is well worth it.

Cons

Some of upper management have a few things to learn about managing people. Pay could also be a little better.

Please consider your people more of an asset then just people that work in the same building

Its ok was terminated after more 9 years with the company without any considerations of my dedication.

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Insurance is good but over the years got expensive
    Vision
    Medical
    Dental
    Respect senority

Cons

salary raise is bases on hours
    Union contract
    No promotion soon
    Shift

good

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Safeway full-time

Pros

Great Benefits and good pay

Cons

good vacation, opportunities to move up, long hours, must be a team player

none

they were decent

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

The managers are nice and cool, they joke around with you and help you with stuff

Cons

they try to extend your hours a lot. they call you in on your days off and the schedules arent set and they are unorganized