Safeway Reviews

Reset

1,639 Employee Reviews

1. Pharmacy

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

Nice place to work as a pharmacy tech

Cons

there is nothing to describe

Experiences coffee making

Former Employee - Safeway - Starbucks Barista in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Safeway - Starbucks Barista in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Safeway part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers and a very good kiosk manager. Also nice and fast paced.

Cons

Low pay, takes a lon time to get any raises whatsoever. Though the union recently lifted the company ban on tips for Starbucks kiosks

Advice to Management

Kiosk manager couldn't be better. Can't say much about the store managers. Didn't deal with them much.

3. Nice company

I worked at Safeway

Pros

Good people-want to do their best

Cons

BIG and can be set in their ways

5. Pharmacist

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

Great so far, diversity, great coworkers, opportunity for advancement, profitable company

Cons

computer system needs upgrade, could be messy and disorganized at times

6. clerk

Former Employee - Food Clerk in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Food Clerk in San Jose, CA

I worked at Safeway

Pros

Steady Job some benefits only way to get fired really is stealing time, money or items

Cons

no steady shifts unless you've been there 20 plus years and sometimes you still get bad shifts

Advice to Management

quit leaning on your good workers to make up for the bad ones .. just get rid of the bad ones

Pharmacist

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Pendleton, OR
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Pendleton, OR

I have been working at Safeway full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pay is very good. Getting paid every week is great. Most of the other employees are fun to work with. The customers are mostly friendly and appreciative. The company has always been fairly stable. Retirement plan is modest, but at least they still have one, as opposed to most other companies. Working inside in a climate-controlled environment is wonderful.

Cons

Before the merger, Safeway was able to respond to staffing issues much better. Last year (2014), as Safeway prepared to be bought out by Cerberus, they cut technician and clerk help in the pharmacies, and refused to allow any extra hours for increased work-load due to flu shots, etc. I suspect this was to increase or maintain profits so the merger would not fail. This was extremely hard on pharmacists and technicians, and resulted in poorer customer service. Many pharmacists and technicians quit Safeway to go elsewhere where working conditions were not equivalent to a "sweat shop".

Advice to Management

Management needs to provide enough help (technicians and clerks) in the pharmacy to get the job done and provide superior customer service, or they will continue to lose good employees. If pharmacy staff are forced to work at a break-neck pace, mistakes will be made, lawsuits will result, customers will continue to be short-changed, and Safeway's pharmacies will go downhill.

8. Decent part time, Not an excellent career option

Former Employee - Food Clerk in Arlington, WA
    Former Employee - Food Clerk in Arlington, WA

I worked at Safeway

Pros

Flexible hours, Many departments to move around in and diversify experience.

During my time with Safeway I was able to move from Washington, to Alaska, and back to Washington without interrupting my benefits or employment history. Major plus for someone in a military family.

If you're looking for a first job, flexible hours, or somewhere to get hired and coast- Safeway is a great option.

Cons

Sadly, as I'm sitting to write this many of my thoughts are negative. Although I made the most of every opportunity Safeway had to offer it's still true that Safeway has been a frustrating path for much of my career. If you work here, the phrase you will hear most often from people who have worked there for a long time is, "Get out while you can."

I was with Safeway for 7+ years and moved around the departments to diversify my experience (from Deli, Customer Service, Video, Checking, Floral, Floral Management, Fuel Station Management). Unfortunately, because not all of those positions are protected under the union contract with Safeway, almost 8 years of experience did not qualify me for journeyman pay. I fully understand that this is not a gripe with Safeway, more a gripe with the union (which has a long standing reputation as highly ineffective). Just understand that if you ever want to make any decent money with Safeway you will have to limit the reaches of how far you can expand your experience. If you want to learn a department or two and then coast for the rest of your life-- this is an ideal situation. If you crave new experiences and new challenges-- this is not a good place for you to grow into a career.

I reached a place where I could coast or make the attempt to join our store management or corporate management teams. Having worked in close proximity with our upper management the answer to the idea of working closer with them was a resounding no.

So much of your experience with Safeway will be dictated by your direct store management and their ability to deal with the unreasonable expectations of upper management. I've worked under the full spectrum of awesome managers who know how to prioritize the upper management demands and the paranoid/vindictive managers who will blame their workforce for any lapse in communication or output.

When it finally came down to it the option was to go stagnant or start looking for a new career option and I was fortunate enough to move on.

Advice to Management

When the company was run by people who were; hired from within, had a background in grocery, cared about the common man, and put forth reasonable expectations-- it thrived! So many of Safeway positive qualities have tanked in the recent decade as the company is run by someone who has no grocery background, and that attitude has trickled down to the lowest levels. As I was leaving I heard positive feed back about Cerberus and the effect they have had on Albetsons, but waiting for the trickle-down of those effects could take another decade.

9. Phamacy Technician

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in San Jose, CA

I worked at Safeway

Pros

You work in a grocery store so plenty of lunch options. If you're just looking for a fast hire to learn the ropes in a retail environment and make some local pharmacy contacts then its a good place to work. Decent starting wage for retail pharmacy, all the hours you can handle if you're willing to float.

Cons

Pretty much the worst retail pharmacy setup in the bay area. Oldest procedures, no investment in modern equipment, and management made a bad miscalculation in their redesign of the pharmacies for vaccinations via the care rooms (poor utilization while taking away too much space), PDX is on its last legs, and while they're not at as metric driven as CVS or Rite Aid the only response corporate has to falling script count or service problems is to cut hours.

Advice to Management

Just think things through a little... falling script count is due to service problems. This will not improve with reductions in manpower. Technology is woefully out of date and behind ALL major competitors. Also, streamline and promote home delivery options, its pretty much the only service advantage Safeway has.

10. Didnt give 100% effort

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Safeway

Pros

I don't think there are any pros.

Cons

Low Pay
    Crapy Work
    Low hours

That's it.

Advice to Management

Raise the pay to at least 9$ an hour. And give benefits.

11. I loved working at Safeway. They really took care of employees.

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Investigator in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Investigator in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Safeway (Less than a year)

Pros

The short time I worked for Safeway, it was one of the best companies I worked at. They gave you all the tools and materials you needed to do your job.

Cons

Need to invest more money into their people and lose the union. The union is only hurting the employees in the pockets.

Advice to Management

Nothing, I loved working there.

Showing 1,639 of 1,658 reviews