Safeway Reviews

2.7
1,094 Reviews

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards
Robert Edwards

Pros
  • Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days (in 42 reviews)

• Nice people, they promote from within, offer good benefits for mgmt (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is below most retail mgmt, requires ALL of your time no work life balance (in 28 reviews)

• Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Worked with great people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Missoula, MT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Missoula, MT

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best reason to work here are the people you work with. Genuinely great people who are team players. The health benefits are wonderful. Being paid weekly was great as well.

Cons

Being understaffed. Seeing people and more people come and go. You try to stick it out and hope that things get better, that people will get hired so that you're not just one person doing the work of three people and only getting paid for doing the job of one.

Give people who work hard an incentive to continue to work hard.

Nice first job for me.

Former Employee - Bookkeeper/Boothclerk  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Bookkeeper/Boothclerk in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Safeway full-time for less than a year

Pros

Got to meet different people and different personality. There are some people that are great to work with.

Cons

Low salary, making you work as a clerk even if you are the bookkeeper.

More training.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Bookkeeper  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Bookkeeper in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Safeway full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible with scheduling, fast promotions, and easy work. The management is really nice and as long as you do your work there should be no problem.

Cons

If you've been employed for Safeway for many years there is only so much they can pay you. The only way to get raises is if the cost of living goes up or get promoted to a manager.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Behind the Times

I have been working at Safeway full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Many good people work at Safeway.

Cons

I have absolutely no faith in the senior leadership. The company is top heavy with "VP's" who have great salaries and perks. The benefits and salaries for all others are horrible. There is no diversity at Safeway and more importantly they don't value diversity of thought. Deserving people are routinely passed over for promotions.

Gut management and start again

Mixed, a few years back excellent environment, currently seems to be unstable.

Former Employee - Pharmacy Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Sound off is to take care of patients, medical therapy management, superior customer service.

Cons

Staffing and labor model don't quantify with what corporate wants to achieve

Review Labor Model

Mixed feelings about Safeway

Current Employee - Corporate  in  Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are some really good people at Safeway. There is a good work/life balance. They have a great fitness center. They recently relaxed the dress code to include jeans. The opportunity to grow is about average. A lot of what you will experience is dependent on what department you work in.

Cons

There are also some really old school, power hungry people that can make your life miserable. The healthcare policies are way to invasive and personal.

Be more open with your employees and try not to tell them how to run their personal lives.

Loved working for them, started as cart clerk, within 1.5 yrs was mgr. of the floral dept!!

Former Employee - FTD Floral Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - FTD Floral Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company was always great to me, they supported me and pushed me hard through the ranks. They saw my potential and stood behind me and was always helping me to get the training I needed to accomplish what I needed to do. The management put me into all areas of the store I was interested in working in and let me test out if I liked it and if I was good at them. Keep in mind I was a VERY good people person and had already proven to be a hard worker and had passed the customer service tests over and over with 10's and positive comments so there was nothing to be lost by trying to elevate me to a higher position. People in the store naturally listened and followed me anyways. When I tried the floral department I immediately showed a talent of arranging flowers and had an eye for design, so they had the FTD florist train me as their "helper" I worked there for about 6 mths and was moved to another store close by part time as an assistant manager by the regional rep. and stayed part-time at my original store the rest of the time. Two months later I was managing my own store. There are very few companies that treat their employees that well and give them those types of opportunities that fast!! I will always be thankful for that, i would not have ever left except that I started my family. I also had excellent benefits!!!

Cons

I did not like that some positions required being part of a union. I had nothing but bad experiences with the union!! Some loved the union, but they screwed me over a few times and I was happy that as a mgr. I did not have to be in it anymore! The pay was also not as much as I thought it should be, there were many others that were making more in the store, and I know other florists at other companies that were making much more.

I would raise pay and regulate hours better for those not in control.

Large Centralized Corporate structure

Current Employee - Maintenance Management  in  El Monte, CA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Management in El Monte, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people, good place to learn and grow

Cons

Too many Chiefs, not enough Indians

Streamline the chain of command

Underpaid, overworked, and unappreciated.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Safeway full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I love my fellow employees who dedicated years of their lives to this company where loyalty used to be valued.

Cons

They will promote an employee from the union protected store, to management positions, even if they know that position will be eliminated within months or even weeks. Even worse, they publicly admit doing this.

When an employee and friend dies on the job, upper management cares more about covering themselves from a lawsuit than common courtesy and condolences to the fellow co-workers left behind mourning their friend.

You work long hours to achieve nearly impossible targets and when you finish on top they reward you by taking away your bonus eligibility.

This is not the company that it was 20+ years ago. It is now just another American corporation that pays it's CEO ridiculously out of proportion to the poverty level it pays it's store level employees.

You get what you pay for. All the good help is rapidly leaving or being laid off so that you can get cheap labor. The store employees have fewer and fewer backstage people that they can turn to for help which makes them feel defeated. The cheap help with poor moral has no loyalty to the company so they are justifying stealing more than ever before and the inventory losses definitely reflect this.

You are promoting managers that only qualify because they have a pulse, show up everyday, and sign up because it's their only shot to make more than minimum wage inside of a decade. No one respects a manager that hasn't put in their time to lead by example. So too rapid of ascention through management due to lack of truly qualified candidates only breeds resentment among union employees.

You promised a 3 day team building trip for backstage and management 2 years in a row. We pick out roommates and activities and get all excited that the company cares enough to finally do something nice, and they cancel it 2 years in a row citing cost savings (even though they have now wasted the $250,000 deposit TWICE)

You do not listen to the people you have been paying to identify opportunities in the stores and help them. You have no coordination with corporate marketing and space planning. One arm has no idea what the other is doing.

You allow people at corporate who have likely never worked a day in a store make horrible and costly decisions by rolling out programs destined to fail and ignore all the people at store and district level that try to proactively warn about these things. The arrogance of not listening to your store teams and unreasonable expectations has led to why the company is floundering and being sold.

Bad

Current Employee - Checker, Floral Manager, Dairy, File Maintenance, Night Stocker  in  Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Checker, Floral Manager, Dairy, File Maintenance, Night Stocker in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Safeway part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Convenient, close to home, versatile, good fellow employee relationship, Union

Cons

Poor leadership, violate EEOC laws, promotions are usually pretty quick but hours are bad and work is hard for what you are getting paid.

Create a pleasnt work environment, be competitive with pay for work done, Follow State and Federal laws in accordance with breaks leave time , EEOC reward employee loyalty and production frequent review develop a work plan for future growth. Allow full time work for employees so they are above poverty level and don't have to be on assistance to work here

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!