Safeway Reviews

Cannot Recommend an IT Position at Safeway to Anyway

Former Employee - IT Technical Staff in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - IT Technical Staff in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Safeway

Pros

- For IT jobs, the salaries are relatively competitive.
    - I was able to work on some market leading technology for customer loyalty applications
    - Generally nice people to work with (on the IT side) -- I didn't have a lot of contact with other areas

Cons

- The health benefits were horribly cheap. High deductibles (up to $1500 per person per year with no family deductible) and after you paid that, the plans still pay only about 80%. My out of pocket medical expenses ran over $10,000 my first year there.
    - Ancient business applications and they seem to have at least one copy of everything, and with no cohesive plan to get out from under the crush of all the legacy software.
    - The trend seems to be to move everything to Phoenix (I was offered a job in Phoenix at a 10% reduction in salary, so I chose to be laid off and stay in the Bay Area).
    - In general, the only training I could get was if it was free.

2. Run!!!

Former Employee - Food Cleark in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Food Cleark in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Safeway

Pros

Benefits at only 24 hours a week, and that's a relief because you wont get more hours then that!

Cons

Low Pay, Low hours, Bitter Co-workers, Bad Store Manager, snitches, aggressive selling, having to card people for alcohol that look beyond 30

Stop micromanaging your employees, give employees full time hours that desperately need them, put employees where they will use skills to the best of abilities instead of firing them.

3. Booth Clerk/Bookkeeper

I worked at Safeway

Pros

Good experience. not that hard

Cons

customers are rude. usually left by yourself especially during peak hours

have more than one booth clerks

The company has really gone downhill in the 17 years I have worked there, and in so may ways.

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk

I have been working at Safeway part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

On the plus side, the job is easy and it's nice talking with people most of the day.

Cons

Management is a joke. Training and communication is limited. Pay has dropped significantly.

You need to get real feedback from employees that are not managers. I see lots of room for improvement. It feels like managers don't pay any attention to their employees. There is very little communication anymore, so people are not on the same page.

6. Safeway is strict and often times unfair. However, it is a good first job. If you can work there you can work anywhere!

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Grants Pass, OR
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Grants Pass, OR

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

Safeway offers flexibility with ones schedule.

Cons

Safeway's managers are not required to attend college to hold their management position. As a result, safeway's managers may not conduct business with as much professionalism as someone who has obtained a business degree.

7. Working for this company has been very helpful for me to learn new skills.

Current Employee - Safeway Starbucks Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Safeway Starbucks Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best reasons to work for Safeway is because there is always opportunity.

Cons

One of the cons of working at Safeway is it is difficult to move up in positions because of lack of communication.

What I have learned in management is beyond what I knew as a regular employee. I have learned how to take advantage of newly learned skills and apply them to your leadership skills. It can be a lot of help. So my advice is to take advantage of learning.

8. Project Manager

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Safeway full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good company to work. Salary was competitive and the benefit were reasonable. Health insurance twas above average. UPPer management were reasonable and listened to options of getting things accomplished

Cons

Did not promote to a higher position. Was not much for training and challenging a person to move up the ladder. Have to do it all on your own.

Listen to the workers below them. Once in a while they have a good idea.

9. It's a job

Current Employee - Pharmacist
    Current Employee - Pharmacist

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

Pros include close working relationship with management, pay is fairly competitive, decent health care plans

Cons

Vacation benefits are lacking, difficult to navigate the upper corporate structure, with the merger there are a lot of things in flux, so it's difficult to get anything done on a corporate level, job security is a concern

Remember that employees are people, too. Happy employees make for good customer service scores. They wonder why customer ratings are poor - it's because employees are always overworked, understaffed, and get nothing but criticism from management - never praise for a job well done.

10. Enjoyed working with flowers and that's it.

I worked at Safeway

Pros

Geographically desirable (close to home).
    Enjoyed the creative aspect of working in the floral department.
    Enjoyed helping customers.
    Busy.
    Decent training.
    Career growth possibilities.

Cons

No guaranteed hours so no guaranteed benefits. If employees work less than 20 hours per week they do not qualify for benefits like health insurance, and they have no control over the hours worked.

Management's main objective is to keep employee hours as low as possible.

Punitive, fear based culture. Management uses fear tactics to ensure compliance, i.e. Fear of being written up for the smallest infraction (like your shirttail coming out, or working over your schedule even if you are helping customers); fear of loss of benefits; fear of loss of job; constant reminders that you are being watched at all times; huge department and store penalties if an accident occurs that requires an accident report; etc.

Low pay for skilled labor. Floral Clerks have the same job responsibilities and required skills as Floral Designers, plus cash, customer service, inventory, merchandizing, stock control, product and department maintenance responsibilities, but they are paid only slightly over minimum wage, with no guaranteed hours or guaranteed benefits.

Management has conflicting priorities; priorities change daily and they are not well communicated.

Written communications between employees and department managers are forbidden to ensure that there is no paper trail for complaints or suggestions.

Low employee morale.

Favoritism and nepotism abound when it comes to scheduling, hours and task allocation.

No regular schedule - shifts can change daily.

Poor inventory control and discounting practices.

Higher prices than the competition (and there is less competition as a result of the recent merger).

Customers are highly valued, but employees are not. Management does not seem to realize that employees are customers too.

Realize that employees are customers too, and treat them with the same respect and consideration.
    Increase the pay rate for skilled labor.
    Provide health insurance benefits for all employees, regardless of number of hours worked.
    Provide better communications and management training for department managers. Allocate hours and tasks fairly, based on competence, work ethic, skill, attitude and results, not favoritism or nepotism.
    Improve inventory control and pricing.
    Change the punitive, fear-based culture.

11. Great Co-Workers not so great work

I have been working at Safeway part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome co-workers
    Great Work life balance

Cons

Very inconsistent scheduling
    Not treated very well