Safeway

2.8
1,216 Reviews

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards
Robert Edwards

Pros
  • Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days (in 47 reviews)

• Good benefits, strong union, nearly impossible to get fired (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is really off considering your schedule changes drastically every week (in 38 reviews)

• Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

80s corporate mentality and efficiency.

Current Employee - IT in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - IT in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good work life balance. people are generally not too bad. the core values are good and down to earth, but it's been sort of offset by lack of leadership. it's easy if you just want to "get by".

Cons

Lack of leadership and empowerment. Decisions are made up top by management that live in a bubble. The system is very inefficient. This causes us to waste our resources and make dumb mistakes.

don't be afraid and hide behind your mediocrity. Get out and say hello sometimes. open up to listen. get a reality check on what's going on and empower your people to do the right things for the company rather than for politics.

Great people.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good folks. Fair treatment. Decent benefits.

Cons

The work load and the pace are sometimes challenging.

Safeway was just ok

Former Employee - Bakery Assistant in Mount Airy, MD
    Former Employee - Bakery Assistant in Mount Airy, MD

I worked at Safeway part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I got a lot of hours, which was nice, but they did seem to want to work me to death. It wasn't the worst ever, but it definitely wasn't the best.

Cons

No discount on food, get schedules only a week ahead of time, poor management, not considerate of when you want days off, wanted to work people to death, UNDERSTAFFED, and over-worked.

For the love of everything good in the world, give people a schedule a month ahead of time so they can schedule things and have a life outside of work. How do you expect anyone to go to family gatherings when you get a schedule a week in advance? Completely ridiculous.

Excellent

Former Employee - PC Technician in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - PC Technician in Chicago, IL

I worked at Safeway full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A good place to work. Great benefits. Opportunity to learn from lots of online training modules. Great potential to move up the ladder.

Cons

Managing style should have some kind of a standard; not from standard to extreme.

Overall not bad, but store management was non-existent

Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Spokane Valley, WA
    Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Spokane Valley, WA

I worked at Safeway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loved my job and the hours for the position were perfect.

Cons

Minimum wage, mandatory union (dues are high for the wages you make), management was very uninvolved which left a lot of issues unresolved and employees feeling frustrated and undervalued. They were constantly pushing for more production, but didn't acknowledge the huge boost I had given the department compared to the last person in my position.

Get involved with your store and your associates, notice the people that make a difference. Even a simple, "(Department) is looking good this morning" as you walk through would go a long way.

Good opportunity initially however company is now under a merger

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Experience a variety of projects and always busy

Cons

Too political and management is not always interested in new ideas to better processes

Take time to listen to your employees they may have some relevant idea

Great company with great people!

Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm in my second stint with Safeway, leaving the first time due to immaturity. I've ALWAYS worked with great people. Everybody here is so professional and you don't deal with the drama I hear goes on at other companies. I've learned SOOO much here and the skills are definitely transferable. Clean and state of the art gym is a plus (for perm employees)!

Cons

office politics but that goes on at every company! Pay is good starting out, but may not be up to par when comparing to other companies.

Dynamic

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time

Pros

Flexible work environment. Given opportunities to grow. Learned many new things. Made good friends.

Cons

It would be great to enhance the benefits package.

Advice to new Albertson's management: Communication is key to maintaining employee trust. Especially during an acquisition.

I'm sure there are worse places to work.

Former Employee - Starbucks Barista
    Former Employee - Starbucks Barista

I worked at Safeway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The general work environment was well-structured. You knew what was expected and you did it.
    They give proper training. Not that it's a hard job, but you didnt have to figure it out on your own.
    Accessible management. There was always someone in management around to help in a pinch.

Cons

Ridiculous rules. My store had a rule where you had to say "hello, can I help you?" or something like that to every customer you make eye contact with. So, of course, every employee on the floor would purposefully walk quickly and ignore every customer. And that was just one of the rules they had that negatively impacted how you'd interact with customers.
    Working as a barista at Starbucks, they wouldnt let us accept tips. At least 3 times a day I got in a tiff with a customer just to get them to keep their money.
    Union dues were expensive. Working 15 hours a week, I had to pay 45 dollars per month for a bunch of benifits that hardly applied to my city.
    Little room to be promoted. Most people worked for years and years before seeing a pay raise, and even then only once they got promoted to something different.
    They posted the schedule only two days before it came into effect. It was hard to plan anything without having to ask for it off several weeks in advance.

Pay attention to how your rules impact customer service. Just because something sounds good in theory doesnt make it a good idea.

Great place if you're looking to settle for longer term, have family/kids/other priorities

I worked at Safeway

Pros

Great work/life balance - most people are gone by 4-5pm, and even earlier sometimes on Fridays.
    Jeans day on Friday, Jersey days...more relaxed than other corporate environments

Cons

As with any big companies, there is bureaucracy. Work can get boring, esp at the lower levels. Cubicles, artificial lighting are depressing at times in the main building but the other buildings are more 'cheerful'