Safeway Reviews

2.7
1,114 Reviews

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards
Robert Edwards

Pros
  • Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days (in 42 reviews)

• Nice people, they promote from within, offer good benefits for mgmt (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is below most retail mgmt, requires ALL of your time no work life balance (in 28 reviews)

• Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Busy grocery store.

Former Employee - Bookkeeper At Dominick's  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Bookkeeper At Dominick's in Chicago, IL

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Busy and employees are great to work with. Most customers made you feel like you were old friends.

Cons

When something broke down , it took a long time to fix it.

Management was great - it just takes a long time to get promoted.

Accountant

Current Employee - Accountant  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Accountant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Safeway full-time for more than a year

Pros

Worked with good people and good managers

Cons

Didn't have much chance to learn other side of operation

Average place to work. Nothing special.

Former Employee - Bakery/Deli/Cashier/Courtesy  in  Arcata, CA
    Former Employee - Bakery/Deli/Cashier/Courtesy in Arcata, CA

I worked at Safeway full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you need flexible hours, they can be fairly accommodating. Having the Union is a big plus.

Cons

I did not like being shuffled around several departments all the time. I worked in the Bakery and Deli departments, as a Cashier and a Courtesy Clerk. I never knew where I was going to go and when.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice place to work.

I have been working at Safeway full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working full time, gaining experience, unionized so no worries. Willing to train and management is helpful. Easy to move up.

Cons

Customers can be rude. Safeway has an old school way of thinking when it comes to promotions, customers and even employees.

Listen to your customers and employees.

Completely untruthful

Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager  in  Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time

Pros

There is nothing good about the company as a manager

Cons

I was told the type of schedule I would have and was very clear that my family comes first. I get my schedule and they are all 11 hour days. I left a job making the same amount of money and only working 40 hours a week. To not being able to see my family at all...I work 4am-3 pm one day and the next day I work from 2 pm-1am then I have to be there from 7-6 or 10-9

Don't lie to future managers, be upfront....You wasted my time, your time and I turned down another job because of the lies you told me. Now I'm looking for another job!!!!

Depending on store, Management is bad, lack of teamwork in the environment.

Current Employee - Deli Clerk  in  Morgan Hill, CA
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Morgan Hill, CA

I have been working at Safeway part-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of employees were fun to work with and easy to get along with, occasionally you got that one customer that would just make your day and make you feel like you are doing a great job.

Cons

We had a horrible department manager who would send our female employees to store managers crying at least a couple times a week and they never fired her. Our ovens and fryers in our department would malfunction weekly and our vents were broken so constantly breathing in smoke.

Learn to work with employees and get rid of the problem aka bad department managers

Very corporate driven environment

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Safeway part-time

Pros

It's a pretty stable job. The products are good (partially because it is a grocery store).

Cons

There is a lot of pressure to work as much as possible. The management tends to be slightly overbearing.

Good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Safeway full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good company to work for, great benefits, room for growth. Employees get a 10% discount on corporate brand items, which are all very good.

Cons

Sometimes hard to move up, very often it's all in who you know or who likes you; some locations are worse than others. Right now they're going through a merger (2014) and not a lot is known as to the security of some positions. Depending on where you work, there can be very high expectations in exchange for "ok" pay.

Upper management should stop promoting people just because they're a favorite. They should start looking closer to the job other's do around them, and what their qualifications are.

Great Job, if you don't mind dealing with people

Current Employee - Grocery Checker  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Grocery Checker in Portland, OR

I have been working at Safeway full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Being a checker has it's advantages, you are face to face with customers all day long. So if that is what you like apply! There are openings all over. Ok that is all I have to say.

Cons

Cons, You have to deal with customers. Depending on what part of town you work in can change your opinion about the job. You may need to deal with scum, rich snobs or maybe you can get lucky and have wonderful customers all day. Haha.

Listen to the employees that can good ideas. Don't just sit there! Look at what is going on around you. Don't ignore us
    Help us help you.

Not what i was led to believe job was.

I worked at Safeway

Pros

the hours are consistant and great. Employees very friendly, willing to help..

Cons

Do not give proper time for proper training. To much drama and gossping for my taste.

Spend the time and labor to train employees properly. Give them the knowledge to succeed. Given proper training you would have less turn around. It costs more to train a new employee than to retain them. Customers like to see familiar happy faces.

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!