Safeway Reviews

2.7
1,162 Reviews

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards
Robert Edwards

Pros
  • Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days (in 46 reviews)

• Nice people, they promote from within, offer good benefits for mgmt (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is really off considering your schedule changes drastically every week (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models (in 53 reviews)

More Highlights

I don't recommend working at safeway.

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

The management pay is good and leading people is empowering.

Cons

They don't appreciate employees, over work the good employees and don't set the same standard for everyone in the store. There is a lot of favoritism. They hire people off the street to be assistant store managers and store manager and most of them are horrible and don't know what they are doing so there's a lack of leadership in a lot of stores. I have worked in two states and at 8 stores and some run better than others but overall I feel like they don't have people properly managing the stores.

If you hire a external asm or sm train them better. Put more hours into all of the stores so they run more efficiently. Stop letting your store managers play favorites and treat everyone equally

Safeway is not the company it use to be. The culture has changed.

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You feel like you've contributed to the company even if you don't get the acknowledgment or credit from senior management.

Cons

Poor communication. Many in upper management lack personality, don't say "hello" or even acknowledge you. It's losing it's pride as a company that was diverse.

Need management with people skills to encourage and support their teams. People will work harder for you if you treat them right.

Competing with WalMart and the likes....

Current Employee - Management in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Redding, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

None that come to mind.

Cons

Where to start? Corporate is out of touch. Any interaction with corporate or Arizona staff gets you treated like a retarded stepchild or an incompetent pion when all levels of corporate have either never worked in a store or are so far removed from the store, that they literally have no clue how dealing with the "end user" actually works.

Let your managers have a work life balance. Give a consistent schedule. Quit scheduling people for 4 hour shifts to avoid overtime. If you schedule someone five 4 hour shifts, you can't call them in on the sixth day because of overtime. Schedule three 8 hours shifts and you create flexibility with the crew. Reward the people who stay more than a year.

Steer Clear of Applying to work for Safeway.

Current Employee - Food/Produce Clerk in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Food/Produce Clerk in Portland, OR

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

After 20 years with this lousy company can't think of any. They don't promote from within so anyone can apply for a management position

Cons

Inconsistency on all levels..... Unrealistic goals always cutting help at store level but adding another Senior Vice President of something.

Why they don't listen or care they only care about their compensation, time-off and bonus...

1 Yr + Deli clerk - started 7/13

Current Employee - Deli Clerk/Cashier in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk/Cashier in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Safeway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome customers, great coworkers, and fun job once you get the swing of things. It is orgasmic when you get to the point of knowing where almost everything is located throughout the store and know your department so well that you can help the customer w/ any request that they may have.

Cons

Irate/ignorant/harassing management that informed me on 9/21/14 that whoever sells the most product within their shift will get more hours and promised for the 3rd time that they want to promote me to either deli supervisor or produce manager by 10/14. I've told my boss, "We're your teammates, you can't treat us like this." And was told, "Well, you're not very good teammates, because there is still work to be done." I told my boss that constant negative reinforcement drains my energy levels, which in turn makes me less productive. He mocked me by saying,"Well, how would YOU run this place if this was YOUR business? You need to take the bad with the good." My team has to deal with the question,"What did you do yesterday? The other deli person says you are the one who did a bad job on my windows. You really aren't going above and beyond your job duties; therefore, you don't deserve a raise or promotion." My entire store works through their breaks and lunches - and off the clock - when we get a rush of customers.

Inhumane treatment of human beings will be your downfall. Ignorance, verbal abuse, belittling, and slander are NOT healthy workplace practices. Please destroy whatever manual instructs you to behave this way.

Hostile work environment; Poor leadership; No autonomy; Old fashioned company

Former Employee - Claims Examiner III in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Claims Examiner III in Denver, CO

I worked at Safeway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

steady paycheck, decent medical benefits, good office location.

Cons

Manager was extremely micro-managing and failed to exhibit any critical thinking skills. She was constantly worried about file audits. She was unable to get along with most of her staff as well as her superiors and employees on her same level. Upper management was oblivious to this or just did not care. She was extremely insecure and oftentimes defensive if challenged in any way. She did a good job of pitting employees against one another. Very autocratic style of management! Any suggestions on how to improve procedures was met with resistance and even contempt by the manager.

Consider a more up-to-date way of evaluating employees. The current Performance Appraisal system is antiquated. Give more autonomy to employees and LISTEN when ideas are exchanged. Don't be defensive and when there is a conflict, please get over it! As the song lyrics in "Frozen" sing, LET IT GO!!

A terrible work environment. Negative reinforcement used as a constant as opposed to intelligent input.

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Northlake, IL
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Northlake, IL

I worked at Safeway full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Money was decent considering responsibility.

Cons

Dealing with incompetent management on a regular basis.

Listen to your customers and employees. Your generic business philosophy did not work in the Chicago area, and was illustrated almost immediately. Give the customer choices. That's al any shopper wants and needs.

Not... that bad?

I have been working at Safeway part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly people, have never had issues with customers. Pretty stable environment, even though we're perpetually understaffed. The management takes safety very seriously.

Cons

People don't use safety equipment properly, are lazy and have the mentality that "someone will do it later". Everyone talks poorly about everyone else. Always understaffed. Twice people have told me "never ask for days off".

You should probably work on not belittling your employees and understand that mistakes happen but pointing fingers isn't the way to get any sort of loyalty. Yelling at someone for something they didn't do when they weren't even on the clock is probably a waste of time.

Typical big corporation, left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing! Hope the buyout changes things

Current Employee - Head Clerk in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Head Clerk in Denver, CO

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The moneys OK, the insurance is good, the fellow employees are great!

Cons

No sick time, 2 paid holidays a year, want you to schedule your life around their needs! Upper level management has no idea what it's like at store level! Stores are run on skeleton crews with hours being cut, but same amount of work is expected to get done. I work at a store that has million dollar homes a block away, yet we are chewed out every week because we don't sell enough "$5 Friday" Items. Do you really think our customers look at the pricing?? If they did, they wouldn't be shopping there in the first place!

Quit letting the buyers and warehouse send you unwanted and unneeded product! I personally saw over $50,000 worth of product get donated out right before our last inventory, some of it we had in our backroom for almost 2 years! And yes, they were shipping us more of it! Let the employees do their job.

Too big of a workload, not enough time or compensation.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Safeway full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ok pay. Decent benefits. Fair amount of pto.

Cons

Huge workload. Slow promotion process. Upper-management is big on favoritism.