Safeway Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1,822 Employee Reviews

1. Barista

Pros

Competitive benefits, good hours, and great management.

Cons

No tips because franchised by Safeway

Advice to Management

None. Karen Britton was a great manager.

2. Vice President

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Great leadership team that values contributions. Provides leadership training and mentoring. Can rely on teammates and leadership to provide great opportunities. Very open to innovation, feedback and truly cares for employees. One of the greatest places to work ever. Grew career here and had many opportunities to advance.

Cons

Dental benefits are low. Marketing / advertising too deeply structured for on the go changing needs. Prefer just for you offers to be available for all offers with one click.

Advice to Management

Great leadership momentum, thank you for helping so many loyal employees build a great life around all of the opportunities provided. Sad to see the merger come through with Albertsons as their values are low.

3. courtesy clerk

Pros

customers don't really expect a whole of you aside from bagging their groceries so you never have to worry about them getting upset.

Cons

extremely monotonous. get carts, bag groceries, check bathrooms, repeat. only things that ever really broke up the pacing was when someone decided to make a mess which you have to clean up or if you have to do another department's dirty work

5. My Second Job: I Don't Have Anywhere Better...

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Milwaukie, OR
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Milwaukie, OR

I have been working at Safeway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love many of my store co-workers. There are some good deals as an employee. You get off your shift and are already at the store if you need groceries. I have created many delicious sandwiches. I am paid 20 cents above minimum wage.

Cons

There have been people working here for more than 15, FIFTEEN, YEARS WITHOUT A PAY RAISE. Many of my co-workers are distraught about the unfair conditions like lack of proper cleaning supplies, and expectations given to us. When I was hired the first video they had me watch was a welcome to Safeway video. They ephasized the importance of the customers and then of their shareholders. It made me feel like more of a capitalist slave than I should have. The television in the breakroom plays a loop of Safeway video propaganda with a very conservatively passive aggressive news reel at the bottom. You get off your shift and are already at the store. Impulse buying could get nurtured this way. We are forced to do an unsatisfactory job cleaning in order to appease the hours we are assigned, but forced to help any customer if they see us no matter what. This includes time after the deli closes, which is vital to cleaning. The morning clerks can get very busy leaving their dishes for the evening sometimes. We are not allowed overtime to clean and would be written up if we were to get overtime. I have only worked there for about half a year but my department co workers do not work as hard as I do. We turn over a large number of workers as 2/3 of my crew has been replaced while working there. I believe we are given realistic expectation for a perfect scenario (experienced workers, cleaning throughout the day, no customer interaction after department hours), though these expectations are ridiculous. The customers can be rude (as with any service job). If they don't like something we must go above and beyond to keep their loyalty as a shopper. No matter how we are feeling, we are explicitly contracted to positively greet any customer that asks us how we are and if we even make eye contact with someone we must say hello and offer assistance. While some workers may not have issuers with this, I am a severely depressed individual and having to contrive such a fake amount of emotion leaves me extremely exhausted and empty after my shift. We are hounded by management to tell our customers to fill out surveys with an incentive of a free lunch ($6 credit) but the customer must give us perfect 10's for us to earn that. We are not allowed to take breaks if we are busy which leaves us to postpone breaks towards the end if we are unable to fit one in before our rush (which happens too often). Breaks stress me out for this reason because it's time that we are legally not allowed to work, while still expected to finish up on time. We are forced to throw away pounds of food every night. Homelessness is a large problem where I live. Nonetheless my company would rather throw away good food they can't profit from than let starving people eat it. I steal food from my employer and tragically feel no remorse from the illegality. I used to feel that way, but this job has consumed my morale. Why should I play by their rules when they do not allow me to perform my job by their rules. I just finished writing feedback about this in particular to see if we can donate our "waste".

Advice to Management

Please don't sacrifice your profit to give any of us decent or fair working conditions. That could reduce revenue and also reduce a lot of the constant sorrow and dissatisfaction I am constantly surrounded with.

6. Manager

Former Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Safeway full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits Life Balance Decent Pat

Cons

Merger Not many internal opportunities unless you know the right people

Advice to Management

None

7. The Family that I Still Love

Former Employee - GM Clerk in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - GM Clerk in Seattle, WA

I worked at Safeway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You'll be praised when you do great. Career Opportunities were abundant. Managers work with you on advancing. Safeway could be the family you looked forward to seeing.

Cons

Carrying the slack of coworkers not willing to work.

Advice to Management

I love you guys. Keep doing what you are doing. Only advice I give is please please please visit the stores and see the unseen greatness of some of the employees. You would be proud!

8. Good

Former Employee - Cashier in Milton, WA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Milton, WA

I worked at Safeway part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Im just doing this to unlock full access, I personally think it is stupid that in order to see jobs i have to have had a job previously

Cons

Safeway is cool i guess

Advice to Management

Nothing

Challenging work and excellent training for future career growth

Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture (values diversity), and a good team atmosphere. Promotes career growth, and is good at developing skills. Also in a good location.

Cons

Low pay, and poor executive level management. Decisions that change the direction of a company tend to be made on a whim, and will still be pushed even if the decision doesn't pencil out.

Advice to Management

Listen to the doers and not to the talkers

10. Not worth it

Former Employee - Checker in Puyallup, WA
    Former Employee - Checker in Puyallup, WA

I worked at Safeway part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had great co workers and got to be moderately physically active in my position. I accepted additional responsibilities (with no raise) to get more experience for my resume which was beneficial when I was searching for my next job. My location was 10 minutes from my house so the commute was soooo easy. If someone didn't show up for their shift management might ask me to stay in which case I would probably make overtime. Overtime = any day over 8 hours or any week over 40 hours. They say flexible schedules are a plus but for me it just meant that I never had a consistent day off except for the days I had my internship and when that ended I didn't bother to tell management so that I could have those as my days off. Weekly paychecks.

Cons

Even with the union, in WA they start your wage at 10 cents above minimum. This may not be a problem if you're 16 and only working weekends for fun but if you're and adult trying to support yourself and your family, you're going to wish you had started when you were 16. Salaries are almost entirely dictated by how many hours you work. You don't get a raise until you have worked 1000 hours and even then its a few cents. In my 9 months with the company on a part time basis, I never hit that threshold. You will earn a little paid vacation after one year. I would really only recommend this company to young people who are looking for a job in high school and college. If you're a good worker your manager will work to help you transfer to a different store for school. If you decide you like it you could stay and move up if you choose to. However, if you're inbetween jobs and just really need a job for a few months, 1) don't tell your interviewer that fact, 2) dress up for the interview, 3) submit an online application for multiple stores and call to follow up within a week--after that only call once a week, do not call every day, 4) even if it's not true say on your online app that you have completely open availability to get you in the door. Employee discount was only 10% off safeway products--lame. Some days I had 4, 6, or 8 hr schedules. In my position I could work anytime from 5am--1am depending on the day. Most lunch breaks are 30 min but sometimes they give you an hour to make sure there's coverage for your department. dumb.

Advice to Management

Make sure your store management team and all department managers are on point--otherwise all the other regular employees will not care to do a good job! If you have a driven, hard working employee who is doing great work for your store, REWARD THEM! Make them feel appreciated as they do their job. My direct manager was good about giving feedback and telling me how I was doing and saying thank you but my store manager was always just asking me to constantly do things, never said thank you, never asked me what I needed, never offered me a raise for my additional responsibilities (that a previous store manager had promised, but whatever, I knew I wouldn't be there long).

11. Operations Specialist

Pros

Good Pay, fluid location, variety of duties

Cons

Long hours, little chance for advancement, male dominated

Showing 1,822 of 1,840 reviews