Safeway

Safeway Reviews in Santa Rosa, CA

Updated May 27, 2014

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards

Robert Edwards

Pros
  • Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days (in 42 reviews)

• Nice people, they promote from within, offer good benefits for mgmt (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is below most retail mgmt, requires ALL of your time no work life balance (in 28 reviews)

• Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights
3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Highly stressful

Deli Clerk (Former Employee) Santa Rosa, CA

ProsI enjoyed the interaction with the customers, and some of my co-workers were helpful and pleasant.

ConsPoor management, very poor training, and unrealistic expectations for new employees. In the break room, all I heard were people complaining about their jobs. Also, I had to pay union dues from day #2, was let go on day #75 and the union was of no help to me, basically just took my money. Some policies and procedures were over the top,I was written up for clocking in 2 minutes early and I didn't even know that policy existed because I was never given a handbook. How can you follow a policy, if you don't know it exists?

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your workers as people, NOT widgets. Treat your new people with respect.

The absolute worst job I have ever had

Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) Santa Rosa, CA

ProsStore was very organized co-worker were pretty nice. You were paid weekly and the benefits were not that bad.

ConsI never actually encountered one person who actually enjoyed their job. Most of the people I worked with were miserable and hated their jobs but stuck around because the benefits were good and the workers were unionized Management was strict and very harsh with their employees. I started around Christmas time and received very little on the floor training and was expected to do my job perfectly. I was consistently reprimanded for not doing things the way my anal retentive managers expected me to. I have had a lot of bad jobs in my day but I have never before been so miserable at a job. Most of the employees called the company 'Slaveway' and were incredibly resentful towards the management.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind some humanity. Treat your employees with some respect and common decency so they don't go home at the end of the day feeling dead inside.

Worst Company I've Ever (30+ years) Worked For

Journeyman Food Clerk (Former Employee) Santa Rosa, CA

ProsMy fellow "non-Management" employees were always helpful (watching each other's backs) & supportive; some very "decent" customers who didn't treat you like you were subservient to them just because you worked in a grocery store!

ConsAfter returning to work following serious illness company looked for a way to fire me; union was no help; company brought in assistants from other stores to try & catch me in mistakes (i.e. "B.O.B.", etc.).

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to stop encouraging store-management to treat underlings like indentured servants. I've been in middle management in my career & have found that you get better production from your work-force if you treat them as human beings!

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!