Safeway Reviews

Robert Edwards

Highly stressful

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Safeway part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the interaction with the customers, and some of my co-workers were helpful and pleasant.

Cons

Poor management, very poor training, and unrealistic expectations for new employees. In the break room, all I heard were people complaining about their jobs. Also, I had to pay union dues from day #2, was let go on day #75 and the union was of no help to me, basically just took my money. Some policies and procedures were over the top,I was written up for clocking in 2 minutes early and I didn't even know that policy existed because I was never given a handbook. How can you follow a policy, if you don't know it exists?

Treat your workers as people, NOT widgets. Treat your new people with respect.

2. Completely untruthful

Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time

Pros

There is nothing good about the company as a manager

Cons

I was told the type of schedule I would have and was very clear that my family comes first. I get my schedule and they are all 11 hour days. I left a job making the same amount of money and only working 40 hours a week. To not being able to see my family at all...I work 4am-3 pm one day and the next day I work from 2 pm-1am then I have to be there from 7-6 or 10-9

Don't lie to future managers, be upfront....You wasted my time, your time and I turned down another job because of the lies you told me. Now I'm looking for another job!!!!

3. The absolute worst job I have ever had

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Safeway part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Store was very organized co-worker were pretty nice. You were paid weekly and the benefits were not that bad.

Cons

I never actually encountered one person who actually enjoyed their job. Most of the people I worked with were miserable and hated their jobs but stuck around because the benefits were good and the workers were unionized Management was strict and very harsh with their employees. I started around Christmas time and received very little on the floor training and was expected to do my job perfectly. I was consistently reprimanded for not doing things the way my anal retentive managers expected me to. I have had a lot of bad jobs in my day but I have never before been so miserable at a job. Most of the employees called the company 'Slaveway' and were incredibly resentful towards the management.

Find some humanity. Treat your employees with some respect and common decency so they don't go home at the end of the day feeling dead inside.

Worst Company I've Ever (30+ years) Worked For

Former Employee - Journeyman Food Clerk in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Journeyman Food Clerk in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Safeway

Pros

My fellow "non-Management" employees were always helpful (watching each other's backs) & supportive; some very "decent" customers who didn't treat you like you were subservient to them just because you worked in a grocery store!

Cons

After returning to work following serious illness company looked for a way to fire me; union was no help; company brought in assistants from other stores to try & catch me in mistakes (i.e. "B.O.B.", etc.).

You need to stop encouraging store-management to treat underlings like indentured servants. I've been in middle management in my career & have found that you get better production from your work-force if you treat them as human beings!