Safeway Reviews

Reset
4.0
Safeway CEO Bob Miller
Bob Miller

Pros
  • Work life balance is good especially for those with families (in 47 reviews)

• Good benefits to long term employees (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance does not exist at store level (in 38 reviews)

• Some of upper management have a few things to learn about managing people (in 56 reviews)

1. More hours would get better results!

Current Employee - Bakery Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Bakery Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

Good pay and benefits,If you have been there a while.The customers really appreciate the way we provide excellent customer service,they appreciate us.

Cons

The amount of work in the time allowed.If everyone is not working to there full potential the job is very difficult everyone needs to be a team player.Remember our customers are why we have a job!

Advice to Management

Add more hours to the stores so that we may better serve the customers while keeping our depts looking presentable.Stop trying to make all the stores so uniform, different areas sell different items.Our differences are what makes people shop around.

2. courtesy clerk

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Washington, DC

I have been working at Safeway (More than 10 years)

Pros

be because it a good place to work at

Cons

nice people to work with

3. my job

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Washington, DC

I worked at Safeway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love helping people. I am good with talking and conversation with people and leading them in the right direction people need to be in.

Cons

working with people with bad attitudes I try to stay away from those employees the best way I can.

Advice to Management

am here to help. I would be one of the best employees that the manager have on his or her team.

5. N/A

Current Employee - Stocker in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Stocker in Washington, DC

I have been working at Safeway full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

safeway comprehensive benefits are part of a total compensation package that helps you today and helps you plan actively for tomorrow. Generally, the benefits listed below are for non-retail store employees. Retail store employee benefit offerings vary by location. Our part-time employees are also eligible for benefit packages. Safeway is a good company to work for. It all depends on which store you work for on how many hours you get per week. The company has come a long way from when they where paying minimum wage. If you looking for a job that with give you experience and over work you. Than come to Safeway. Plz know that certain departments you will be busy from the time you clock in to the time you get off. Slightly above minimum wage - Opportunities for benefits after a period of time - Summer/Student job - *Some* of the customers are cool

Cons

Pay does not match with what you are asked to do. Not willing to promote the right people for the right job. Since the new management has arrived they are to busy patting themselves on the back for something we accomplished before they stepped in.AlsoSalaries start low and go up very slowly. Not much say on what shifts are giving to the employee.Difficult to get hours/schedule that is decent. Working part time? Get ready for 20 hours per week (or less) of 4 hour shifts per day. - "The customer is always right" mentality is a great policy for the store, but terrible for the human-cog having to deal with people face to face. You'll learn how bitter and spiteful some customers are when standing up for yourself will cost you your job. - There are 3 types of employees at Safeway. That hate their job, those that are on their way to hating their job, and those that have been there so long they've just accepted it. - The Safeway company culture cult. Its a pervasive force in working at Safeway, and they really hammer it home during training. The 3rd type of employees are usually fully bought in.

Advice to Management

Stop and get to know and understand your new staff. Trying to manage via the phone or email does not work. You have a lot of good people who have worked really hard and have the passion that you asked for please stop and look what you have in front of you instead of trying to fix what was not broken. I think Albertsons needed to fix their own house before they destroyed Safeway and

A Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

Safeway has always done well with the benefits offered to the employees. Continuing to do so has been a benefit to all. What Steve Burd is doing with our health care benefits is fantastic. He is offering those that lead a healthy lifestyle a lower insurance premium. It's an innovative notion. The work life balance is good with Safeway. Upper management (at least those I've worked for) are very good about allowing that balance.

Cons

Occassionally long hours and the negative attitudes of some management personnel.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Just keep in mind that we are all people and need to operate the business.

7. Over all product availability and customer svc

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Washington, DC

I worked at Safeway part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Safeway 2808 is one of the best grocery chains I've have pleasure of working for or shopping at

Cons

Some of the employees can at time appear unhappy with their job

Advice to Management

Appreciate the hard work and dedication put forth by all employees

8. What does it take?

Current Employee - Full Time Food Clerk in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Full Time Food Clerk in Washington, DC

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

I've worked foe Safeway for 30 years. The pay is decent and the benefits are quite good. My co-workers are great. I get plenty of vacation and getting certain days off is usually very easy.

Cons

Constantly barraged with soliciting charitable donations. This irritates many customers. Also, the company's new "customer service" policies are designed to force employees to drive sales rather than be courteous and helpful to the customers. Job recognition or positive feedback of any kind is non-existant. Rather, our jobs are threatened if we are not perfect on secret shopper reports.

Advice to Management

Provide ANY positive feedback!! Stop forcing us to hard-sell ad items to customers. Allow us to be courteous and friendly, and helpful to the people. We've got to stop losing good, friendly, popular employees because some secret shopper says we missed on some vaguely worded attribute.

30+ years with company

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Safeway full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Secure job with average benefits.

Cons

Hires store management from outside sources (other business types and no experience military) and gives them better stores than seasoned managers.

Advice to Management

Promote from within fairly and stop hiring outside middle management with no experience and paying them higher wages than seasoned employees.

10. Safeway is great company that encourages their employees to grow in the career and in life.

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Washington, DC

I have been working at Safeway part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The customs are great. The work staff has a great sense of teamwork.

Cons

The amount of hours is not enough.

Advice to Management

Show a little compassion about their employees.

11. Driver

Current Employee - Full Time Driver in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Full Time Driver in Washington, DC

I have been working at Safeway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent Pay with raise every quarter

Cons

Need to upgrade the material and too much red tapes. Been working with the same old truck that are sometimes unsafe and need maintenance.

Advice to Management

If you are a driver then you would driver for your all life there pretty much no promotion that's just not fair for anyone who wants a career.

Showing 17 of 1,736 reviews