Safilo Reviews

Roberto Vedovotto

Worst place to work - EVER

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Safilo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get a weekly paycheck (albeit salaries are way below industry/function standards). Benefits are ok.

Cons

Too many to list - but overall, if you're in brand management this is the worst possible career move. Suffice it to say that there are no clearly defined roles and responsibilities across the board. This leads to a horrendous lack of accountability, deep rooted dysfunction, and deplorable employee morale. Makes it enormously and unnecessarily difficult to get anything done. Single most frustrating experience of my entire professional career.

No training for new hires
    No growth opportunities (company does not promote from within)
    No structure
    No work life balance
    Just - d o n o t a c c e p t a n o f f e r t o w o r k h e r e - unless you're desperate, run for your life

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees - our feedback is not merely complaints. If you listen, you'll hear the solutions to the key issues that are preventing the company from achieving its goals. You'll also realize why new hires quit within 4 weeks of starting the job, and why current employees resign so often.

Not the best time to join.

I have been working at Safilo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- having no standard process means you can create process. So I enjoyed when given the chance to make a difference.
    - there are indeed some very talented good people esp. in local markets whom I can learn from.
    - great products with ever-improving design. Superior product quality vs. competitors. (that I proudly say)

Cons

- the one company which I have experienced the most changes, and still changing...maybe it will never stop changing...
    - completely lack of communication as in (i) info was simply not being communicated or (ii) HQ/Regl teams with very poor English that put confusions into everything.
    - lack of respect across the board.
    - lack of the sense of responsibility and ownership. (management checking phones when people raised out issues in meeting) but on a very contradictory end overly protective to own's turf.
    ...
    - there is little room to grow if you were non-Italian Caucasians. There is no room to grow if you were Asian.
    ...
    - the company just lost the most important license. Enough said.

Advice to Management

It's sad to see this company sinking.

I am not too sure how it can be fixed. Fundamentally the lack of respect is like a stage 4 cancer and often driving the competent people away.

Overly expanding on functions to cope with market threat but the capacity and capability are truly questionable. Everybody suffers, everybody is scared.

Short and not so sweet

I worked at Safilo full-time

Pros

Great opportunities to learn the Eyewear business from A-Z and on a global scale. Good packages.

Cons

At that time the culture was extremely "Northern Italian" and male-dominated. Short-term focus on results due to pressure on the numbers / share price. Believe this may be changing under new CEO.

Advice to Management

Listen to the front line more - sometimes they may be right! Be more inclusive and promote more female executives to balance the "macho culture"

High School Games

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Safilo

Pros

Benefits, Reasonable Hours, Good Reputation

Cons

Poor Communication, Favortism, Low Pay, Unprofessional HR

Advice to Management

Make all departments adhere to the same rules.

6. It is positive experience, where you can feel special condion of the fashion industry.

Current Employee - Technical Departments in Santa Maria di Sala (Italy)
    Current Employee - Technical Departments in Santa Maria di Sala (Italy)

I have been working at Safilo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is not boring. It always happen something. YOu have possibility to be inovative. Wide of possibilities.

Cons

Adrenalin, when you are developting new product or process. You can improve yours leadership. Working with world famues managers.

Advice to Management

People that don't bring results at house have to be fired. We have to many people that are hiding and not working properly and people that are looking troubles and not solutions. We have to be concentrate on solutions.

7. For Sales Reps-Brands determine income

Former Contractor - Sales Representative
    Former Contractor - Sales Representative

I worked at Safilo as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Very little BS. Very autonomous workplace.

Cons

If company drops/loses lines, your income suffers; You are in direct competition with your workmates; other companies in industry provide better compensation plans

Advice to Management

The Italian corporate owner needs to assess what it gives the US partner--Sales managers are poorly paid and must work a territory to make any money. This means the rep in that territory loses out on the accounts the manager keeps for himself. If you are a rep with unpopular name brands, your compensation is below minimum wage after paying your own expenses.

8. Eyewear company

I have been working at Safilo (more than 3 years)

Pros

international company with high potential

Cons

a strong italian mentality is still in the company

9. Getting harder to make a living in this Industry

Current Contractor - Territory Sales Representative
    Current Contractor - Territory Sales Representative

I have been working at Safilo as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

Freedom As an Independent Contractor, you have the freedom to make your own schedule. As long as you are out there working and making your numbers, they are not on your back-in my experience. It is a strong optical company with a great reputation in the industry and excellent products.

Cons

You are an Independent Contractor. There are absolutely no benefits. You pay your own taxes/retirement. And the big one, is the car and gas expenses. There is a lot of driving in most territories.

Advice to Management

I have always liked the management team that I have been involved with.

Demanding

I have been working at Safilo

Pros

Most employees on the team are very polite and respectful. International and luxury brand experience is a win. Premier eyewear company with loyal employee base.

Cons

Extremely demanding and disorganized company. Somewhat dated in systems, technology and flow between departments. Does not promote from within. Dead end!

Advice to Management

Be bold, share your vision and look to your employees at all levels as stakeholders. Communicate with your employees and involve them, don't just talk at them. They bring tremendous value to the table. US relationship with Italy is somewhat broken.

Good for beginning career

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant

I have been working at Safilo

Pros

International company w
    Leader in its field

Cons

Limited career advancement can demotivate employees

Advice to Management

Invest on internal employees