Safilo Reviews

Roberto Vedovotto

Worst place to work - EVER

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Safilo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get a weekly paycheck (albeit salaries are way below industry/function standards). Benefits are ok.

Cons

Too many to list - but overall, if you're in brand management this is the worst possible career move. Suffice it to say that there are no clearly defined roles and responsibilities across the board. This leads to a horrendous lack of accountability, deep rooted dysfunction, and deplorable employee morale. Makes it enormously and unnecessarily difficult to get anything done. Single most frustrating experience of my entire professional career. No training for new hires No growth opportunities (company does not promote from within) No structure No work life balance Just - d o n o t a c c e p t a n o f f e r t o w o r k h e r e - unless you're desperate, run for your life

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees - our feedback is not merely complaints. If you listen, you'll hear the solutions to the key issues that are preventing the company from achieving its goals. You'll also realize why new hires quit within 4 weeks of starting the job, and why current employees resign so often.

Terrible company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Safilo (More than 5 years)

Pros

Was great place to work initially. Rapidly has gone down hill. Now no good reason to work here

Cons

terrible morale. Everyone wants to leave Limited ability for salary increases Micro management from parent company

Advice to Management

re think current culture strategy Replace top management

Commercial Department

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Safilo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Has a great reputation in the industry. Great Directors (with experience), middle managers and support employees. Great product quality. Had the business in good shape up until 2 years ago.

Cons

Change is constant. New CEO believes in running the U.S. from Italy and it clearly does not work. The former Executives, who are all gone and were very good at their job, had a high degree of integrity and experience. Highly successful and U.S. led, and still leads, the company in results. New CEO is very arrogant and has been there 2 years and all she has to show for it is extremely bad morale, incompetent and detached executives. They are warned that if they don't do what Italy says they will be removed like the former team. So nobody has much respect for them and they are not showing leadership. The previous VP of Optical Sales was highly regarded in the company and the industry. Was a phenomenal leader and always made you feel you were important and you felt you played a part in the success. Not sure why he left but had some medical difficulties which were probably impacted by the new regime. He was not a yes man so I am sure it was mutual. We were number one in market share and the salesforce were ranked at the top. That was because it was a team effort led by him and the team in Sales inside and outside. The former President was also someone highly respected and was a great leader. It was clear the new CEO did not like them which was more of a reflection on her than them. I would much rather have them on my team than competing against them. They were replaced by yes people and by people with no experience in the eyewear industry. It is a real shame that what was a great company has fallen down so fast and so far.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the top incompetent executives who are the "yes" team and bring back the pros if it is not too late. Unfortunately until the lady at the top is still there and destroying the company there is not much that will happen positively. Everyone is looking to leave and the support employees, managers and Directors who have been there for years are great people in the U.S. The quality of the product is great but we lost the top brand to the former CEO and I am not sure what is out there that can replace Gucci.

Is the most dis functional co No direction, focus, priorities change fr wk to wk. No growth, no increases,

Current Employee - Manager in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Safilo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits were good but even that's changing. People do their best to cope with all the chaos Now even the good dedicated employees are jumping ship

Cons

Senior management are defenseless against corporate office. What was a luxury company rated first has turned into a cheap consumer goods company with pissed off customers and employees. Do yourself a favor and stay away!!!

Advice to Management

Go back to what made Safilo successful. Look to your employees and respect them. Get rid of the CEO. She's the reason we are in this state

Not the best time to join.

I have been working at Safilo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- having no standard process means you can create process. So I enjoyed when given the chance to make a difference. - there are indeed some very talented good people esp. in local markets whom I can learn from. - great products with ever-improving design. Superior product quality vs. competitors. (that I proudly say)

Cons

- the one company which I have experienced the most changes, and still changing...maybe it will never stop changing... - completely lack of communication as in (i) info was simply not being communicated or (ii) HQ/Regl teams with very poor English that put confusions into everything. - lack of respect across the board. - lack of the sense of responsibility and ownership. (management checking phones when people raised out issues in meeting) but on a very contradictory end overly protective to own's turf. ... - there is little room to grow if you were non-Italian Caucasians. There is no room to grow if you were Asian. ... - the company just lost the most important license. Enough said.

Advice to Management

It's sad to see this company sinking. I am not too sure how it can be fixed. Fundamentally the lack of respect is like a stage 4 cancer and often driving the competent people away. Overly expanding on functions to cope with market threat but the capacity and capability are truly questionable. Everybody suffers, everybody is scared.

High School Games

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

Pros

Benefits, Reasonable Hours, Good Reputation

Cons

Poor Communication, Favortism, Low Pay, Unprofessional HR

Advice to Management

Make all departments adhere to the same rules.

Unsure of future

Current Employee - Warehouse in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Warehouse in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Safilo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People are great to work with. Great medical insurance. Along with dental and vision. 401k .. Company matches if you put in 6%

Cons

Gross cafeteria food. Pay is not competitive at all. Company has gone down hill since I started. Seems like the company cares less and less about employees year after year. Certain departments don't communicate with others like they should. No growth within the company.

Advice to Management

We appreciate the meetings about how well the company is doing. But hearing that last year the company made over a billion dollars, but are clear that there will not be a raise or yearly bonus any longer, it's a bit disheartening.

Short and not so sweet

I worked at Safilo full-time

Pros

Great opportunities to learn the Eyewear business from A-Z and on a global scale. Good packages.

Cons

At that time the culture was extremely "Northern Italian" and male-dominated. Short-term focus on results due to pressure on the numbers / share price. Believe this may be changing under new CEO.

Advice to Management

Listen to the front line more - sometimes they may be right! Be more inclusive and promote more female executives to balance the "macho culture"

10. Eyewear company

I have been working at Safilo (More than 3 years)

Pros

international company with high potential

Cons

a strong italian mentality is still in the company

Change

I have been working at Safilo full-time

Pros

Many long term employees, sense of community. Interesting product, with good brand portfolio. Good reputation for product, growing (but quickly changing) industry

Cons

Change is hard. Long term employees can be resistant, newer employees are not ready for the product-specific challenges of the business. Unique business model has a significant learning curve for outsiders.

Advice to Management

Be honest and aware that this will continue to be a challenging process. Chart a path and stick with it. Good luck.

RSS Feed </> Embed