Sage Hospitality

Sage Hospitality Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Walter L. Isenberg

Horrible Management, Immature Staff

Front Desk Associate (Former Employee)
    Westlake, OH

ProsThe guests are great to work with! You do wear a lot of hats there!

ConsYou wear so many hats because you have to react, instead of being proactive. Mgmt sits in their office and you forge their signature on audit documents. Perhaps it's different in the Denver office but this facility is flying by the seat of their pants. Treat your employees with respect; get back to them when they email you regarding potential problems or issues. Think before you act; anticipate in order to be proactive instead of running around like a chicken with your head cut off at the last minute and being reactive. Make sure the rules apply to EVERYONE.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up. Recognize your employees. Look at their work and give raises based on that instead of whether or not the employees are breathing while they're there.

Doesn't live up to their reputation.

Night Audit (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsPolicy prevents them from firing an employee without having 3 write-ups first.

ConsIf you get sick or can't work fulltime, they'll politely ask you to put in your two weeks to get the time off you need to heal and then you can re-apply, instead of just giving you the time off you need.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare for your employees and listen to what they have to say. Train all front desk agents in Night Audit.

Stay Away

Housekeeper/Front Desk (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsThere is not a single pro to this company.

ConsEverything is not a strong enough word. No one is treated with any respect. Personal lives become impossible. I LITERALLY was told I cannot participate in selling contests anymore because I win too much and "ruin the fun of the contest"

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example rather than being so snotty.
    Don't lie to employees when they start working there.
    Put people in "the right seats on the bus" by getting to know them rather than a first impression in an interview and then never taking to them again. Management should be PRESENT

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wage withheld because they started working me before they officially had me in the system that I had been hired.

Housekeeper (Former Employee)
    Gahanna, OH

ProsThere were no perks for this job. I thought there were at first, but only because they lied to me about the job.

ConsThey hired me without really even considering me, then they started working me the same day, before they had done a background check, and they hadn't even had me fill out all the information I needed to fill out, Technically I was not officially hired until 2 weeks after they "hired" me. It's been 5 days past payday, and I still don't have my check, they keep telling me it will be here the next day...

Advice to Senior ManagementYou seriously need new management in this location!!! The Assistant Manager is VERY VERY unprofessional, and the General Manager is never around. I would strongly advise against working here. And several people have told me they can't keep people working there... It's not wonder they can't keep people if they're treating everyone the same way they have treated me.

lots of opportunity for advancement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsFun and friendly environment with lots of room for growth. Strong work ethic is rewarded through reviews and raises as well as employee incentive programs.

ConsBeing that it is a very large company sometimes employees are held too long because they are unable to just be let go.

Good atmosphere for hotel professionals, but has a few draw backs.

ProsGreat culture. Coworkers feel like family. There is a lot of loyalty amongst employees, and many employees have been with Sage for quite a while. The company is currently on a strong growth curve and should continue to benefit from this growth for years to come.

ConsFirst of all, the company is owned by two individuals, so many decisions are impacted by what's best for their personal situations, not always what's best for the company.
    Pay is generally below market which is evident in their ability to recruit and retain top talent.
    Health benefits are WAY below market. If you don't need great health benefits then this should be a small factor for you. If you are providing benefits for a family you should count a large added expense in with the rest of your comp package. I can't count the number of times I've called a medical provider to inquire about a bill and heard "Ooh, wow. Most insurance plans fully cover something like this. I'm sorry, but it looks like you're responsible for the difference."

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Lots of talk. No action.

Bartender (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsWorked with some wonderful people; naturally the worker bees. Good benefits though.

ConsThey take on a property & everything is about improving, working together, 'we care about you', etc. Then - POOF - nothing changes. Invisible upper management. Status quo maintained. You know, if you are let go from one of their properties, you can never work at a Sage property again, apparently anywhere, for the rest of your life. Would've been nice to be paid for accrued vacation hours when I was terminated.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the regular workers, not just the dept. mgrs. Maybe actually do something instead of smiling a lot and sitting back. That's the way it looks anyway.

Great Company

Outlets Manager (Current Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

ProsNationwide Network, Community Service, Easy Access to Corporate Help

ConsNeeds to acquire additional hotels

Don't drink the kool-aid.

ProsDecent Vacation Plan, Good Systems for Accounting

ConsCorporate management gives vague instructions on expectations then blames property for lack of follow through. Definitely an Us (Sage) vs. Them (property) mentality. Impossible to fire bad employees due to Corporate fear of being sued which degrades the morale of the exceptional employees. Very little hands on by corporate management unless it comes to HR. Inability to hire qualified upper management for properties as they seem to base skill on "outgoing" personalities. Lots of lip service toward Core Values, but they do not adhere to them in practice.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire qualified management based on experience and skill not personality. Reward good employees and stop rewarding bad employees.

Opportunity with Sage

Hotel General Manager (Current Employee)
    Duluth, MN

ProsBeing recognized for my talents and promoted accordingly.

ConsThe company has growing pains.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you toot your own horn, if you want to get noticed.

Worked for Sage Hospitality? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sage Hospitality reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sage Hospitality CEO Walter L. Isenberg. All 46 reviews posted anonymously by Sage Hospitality employees.