Sage Hospitality

Be The First To
Add Photos

Walter L. Isenberg

Horrible Management, Immature Staff

Front Desk Associate (Former Employee)
Westlake, OH

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time for more than a year

ProsThe guests are great to work with! You do wear a lot of hats there!

ConsYou wear so many hats because you have to react, instead of being proactive. Mgmt sits in their office and you forge their signature on audit documents. Perhaps it's different in the Denver office but this facility is flying by the seat of their pants. Treat your employees with respect; get back to them when they email you regarding potential problems or issues. Think before you act; anticipate in order to be proactive instead of running around like a chicken with your head cut off at the last minute and being reactive. Make sure the rules apply to EVERYONE.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up. Recognize your employees. Look at their work and give raises based on that instead of whether or not the employees are breathing while they're there.

Stay Away

Housekeeper/Front Desk (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere is not a single pro to this company.

ConsEverything is not a strong enough word. No one is treated with any respect. Personal lives become impossible. I LITERALLY was told I cannot participate in selling contests anymore because I win too much and "ruin the fun of the contest"

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example rather than being so snotty.
Don't lie to employees when they start working there.
Put people in "the right seats on the bus" by getting to know them rather than a first impression in an interview and then never taking to them again. Management should be PRESENT

Wage withheld because they started working me before they officially had me in the system that I had been hired.

Housekeeper (Former Employee)
Gahanna, OH

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time for less than a year

ProsThere were no perks for this job. I thought there were at first, but only because they lied to me about the job.

ConsThey hired me without really even considering me, then they started working me the same day, before they had done a background check, and they hadn't even had me fill out all the information I needed to fill out, Technically I was not officially hired until 2 weeks after they "hired" me. It's been 5 days past payday, and I still don't have my check, they keep telling me it will be here the next day...

Advice to Senior ManagementYou seriously need new management in this location!!! The Assistant Manager is VERY VERY unprofessional, and the General Manager is never around. I would strongly advise against working here. And several people have told me they can't keep people working there... It's not wonder they can't keep people if they're treating everyone the same way they have treated me.

Lots of talk. No action.

Bartender (Former Employee)

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time for more than a year

ProsWorked with some wonderful people; naturally the worker bees. Good benefits though.

ConsThey take on a property & everything is about improving, working together, 'we care about you', etc. Then - POOF - nothing changes. Invisible upper management. Status quo maintained. You know, if you are let go from one of their properties, you can never work at a Sage property again, apparently anywhere, for the rest of your life. Would've been nice to be paid for accrued vacation hours when I was terminated.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the regular workers, not just the dept. mgrs. Maybe actually do something instead of smiling a lot and sitting back. That's the way it looks anyway.

Don't drink the kool-aid.

ProsDecent Vacation Plan, Good Systems for Accounting

ConsCorporate management gives vague instructions on expectations then blames property for lack of follow through. Definitely an Us (Sage) vs. Them (property) mentality. Impossible to fire bad employees due to Corporate fear of being sued which degrades the morale of the exceptional employees. Very little hands on by corporate management unless it comes to HR. Inability to hire qualified upper management for properties as they seem to base skill on "outgoing" personalities. Lots of lip service toward Core Values, but they do not adhere to them in practice.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire qualified management based on experience and skill not personality. Reward good employees and stop rewarding bad employees.

Never work for them ever

Danvers, MA

I have been working at Sage Hospitality part-time

ProsGood co workers nothing more

ConsMoney n treatment .....no benifits no hours pay cut of 10% 5 yrs ago no advancement within cult like company

Advice to Senior ManagementNone Walter DOES NOT CARE

bad after taste

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSage has properties that are up and coming and is in a growth spurt, may have opportunities for some.

Consthere is no common Sage culture from one property to another. I have worked with great people and with horrible people. used to think Sage had a stong family culture and strong commitment to stated values, but it turned out to be one particular property. another Sage property had none of it: across the board top management showed proof of great dishonesty, hr not looking out for employees, quick to fire, fire for illegal reasons, badmouthing gm and hotel - overall, causing you to look over your shoulder...

Advice to Senior Managementwalter isenberg either does not care how his middle management feel/ lack of promotion/ poor development opportunities, or he does not know how poorly his gms/dos are doing in this aspect. almost impossible to go from wage to salaried position.

A business just waiting to get closed down

Sales (Former Employee)
Danvers, MA

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time for less than a year

ProsNot much other then good employees but they get fired or quit fast

ConsPoor pay, poor general manager, poor, poor, poor, bed bugs in entire hotel, broken elevators, broken staff

Advice to Senior Managementthe general manager needs to get a grip and stop encouraging the wrong people

They don't have a clue

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Sage Hospitality

ProsFriendly people to work with

ConsLow pay, poor management and dangerous engineering practices

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people the prevailing wage that your competition offers and fix your buildings

Give It a Chance

Sous Chef (Former Employee)

I worked at Sage Hospitality

Prosnationwide company, mulitple work experiences

Conslack of good judgement, non rewarding, emplyees are expected to pay for bad managment choices

Advice to Senior Managementcut your Denver office spending and give them omplyees back the money you took from them.

Worked for Sage Hospitality? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sage Hospitality reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sage Hospitality CEO Walter L. Isenberg. All 43 reviews posted anonymously by Sage Hospitality employees.