Sage Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.4
Stephen Kelly

Pros
  • Work life balance is awesome with flexible hours and work at home opportunities (in 22 reviews)

• Good benefits (including generous 401k vesting); great people to work with (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management can be a bit confusing (in 12 reviews)

• Terrible work environment which encourages bullying (in 8 reviews)

A sad state of affairs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Sage full-time

Pros

Was close to my home Days accumulate at a nice pace

Cons

Salary- i was floored when i found out the rate of pay for the level of knowledge and call volume. Takes a lifetime to reach a decent living wage. No true career pathing

Advice to Management

Do some real work and lighten up! Everyone walks around like they are above all the others.

2. Things might be getting better

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get to work with some cool technologies. Coworkers are great. Very generous PTO when you start and it grows at a decent rate. There are a few in upper management team that are trying to improve things.

Cons

Pay is low compared to the rest of the area. Deadlines are a bit ridiculous and often made without any input from the development team. The company as a whole is still trying to figure out how to do enterprise web apps, but wants to operate like we are still a desktop shop. This leads to a lot of bad design and process. There are still a lot of upper management that think the way things are is fine and don't see a reason to change.

Advice to Management

Listen to the developers. Don't think that the same processes that "have always worked" will continue to work. Start treating your developers like valued employees instead of resources otherwise they will soon all be gone.

The company is changing....

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good benefits and good people in R&D.

Cons

Upper management has become more enamored by money than investing in employees. I'm not against making money, but it should not come at such a cost to your employees.

Advice to Management

Take time to let employees know that their work is appreciated. Don't work people into the ground with no reward.

Sage Response

Aug 11, 2015 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and provide us with advice and feedback!

Its not always the competent people that stick around

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Sage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It has benefits, Air conditioning, and adequate parking. My coworkers are awesome and it actually was the hardest thing to leave. My director is a great leader, and fights tooth and nail to empower and assist us. When I started, we got work from home Wednesday; the drinks were subsidized; we had a decent ratio of devs to QA ( 3devs to 1 QA ); training was performed based on interest; we had company parties yearly and game nights every few months.

Cons

Sage will hire anyone who marginally fits a description, which is not to say that they don't hire good people, but more that they seem more interested in filling spots than hiring good people. They will also hire rather than train or promote, so don't expect to rise through the ranks. Another fun fact is that most people see this and leave. This is not a small amount of people either. In about a two year period, looking strictly at the hires/present vs those who have left, the turnover is about 100%. As an example, my group had about 30 people. About 30 people have left and about 30 people have been hired. This results in a leadership structure that consists less of people who excel, and more of people who just "stay". Promotions have ceased for this year and last year, so excelling isn't going to get anyone anywhere. Someone else in this company's Glassdoor mentioned the 3% yearly raise unless you have reached the industry average. I can confirm that as a true statement. Since I started, we have lost work from home Wednesday; refreshments in the break room have a markup of about 15% above retail; i think the ratio for devs to QA is around 6:1, although one team is 1QA to 13 devs; all training is mandatory, and none of it is based on request; There are no parties this year, and in 4 years i think there have been 3 game nights.

Advice to Management

Top level management needs to clean house. Systems for systems, meetings for meetings, and "breaking down silos" needs to stop. Breaking down silos means i get a manager from the UK with no idea what is going on that tells me what to do, a manager from the US that tells me when and how to do it, and another manager that tells me i did it wrong, because i did what the second and first manager told me to.

Support Analyst

Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst I in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst I in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cannot think of one right now.

Cons

Management is haning on for dear life. Always grasping for the next big thing but always late in the market

Advice to Management

Treat employees better and stop running a sweat shop! Identify where you want to go and stay the course. Let middle managment go they have been here too long and haven't had a new idea in years.

Rotting Efficiently

Current Employee - Senior Support Analyst in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Support Analyst in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are so few that it's difficult to meet the twenty word minimum. Paychecks arrived via direct deposit. Health benefits are average (health, vision, dental insurance) They occasionally supply "free" food (junk food like pizza, while executives often have catered meals) New contractors receive office supplies (which can be scavenged by permanent employees when the contractors are dismissed).

Cons

Low wages vs job responsibilities. Pay periods and actual net pay are determined by a system designed to confuse. Payroll and HR and surly and/or uncooperative. Cross-product training falsely inflates the number of analysts in the queues while doubling the workload of those analysts with no pay increase. Insurance rates are very high. Extremely poor work-life balance. Upper management cares as little about the quality of their software and happiness of their customers as they do about the plunging morale of their employees. There is no defined path for advancement - just constantly changing goals.

Advice to Management

Reduce customer subscription fees or provide additional support Reduce the number of executives Increase the number of support employees Discontinue cross-training efforts and specialize support analysts Start following the tenets of your corporate values (Agility, Integrity, etc) instead of maximizing revenue.

Sage Response

Jul 29, 2015 – Director of Talent Acquisition

We are disappointed you feel this way but certainly would invite you to reach out and provide additional specifics so that we may review your experience. Please contact Michelle Mulcare at ... More

Downhill Fast

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Sage (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sage has excellent benefits and is a very flexible work environment. You will get to know some great people and make life long friends.

Cons

Very top heavy. Too many VPs and not enough leadership.They preach One Sage, but everyone is only looking out for their product and doesn't care what the rest of the company is doing. You will be told how valuable you are and constantly shown how little they value your opinion.

Advice to Management

Scale down upper management and put more people in place that actually do real work. Pay more attention to the decisions your VPs are making or better yet noe making. They are all sitting back waiting for the opportunity to throw one another under the proverbial bus.

Mid-market CAM

Current Employee - Customer Account Manager in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Account Manager in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company offers a good pay and it's consistent but you are unable to make over the base and the expected commission. You will only make a 100% nothing more. All you have to do is perform your duties and you will hit your goal. No cold calling, and no high commissions.

Cons

They don't value their employees they will fire you on the spot for craziness and they are not motivated to work with you even if you are hitting your goal.

Advice to Management

take care of good sales people because that's how you make your money.

Not worth the time or effort.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA

Pros

None are really coming to mind. Adequate time off?

Cons

Treated like a glorified photoshop machine. Professional opinions of a person with almost a decade worth of experience ignored in favor of a project managers with 2 months experience.

Advice to Management

Very little. Unless you've been there for almost a decade kissing up the entire time.

11. Good company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

I have nothing to add to this section.

Advice to Management

I have noting to add to this section.

RSS Feed </> Embed