Sage Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Stephen Kelly

Pros
  • Work life balance is awesome with flexible hours and work at home opportunities (in 22 reviews)

• Good benefits (including generous 401k vesting); great people to work with (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management can be a bit confusing (in 12 reviews)

• Terrible work environment which encourages bullying (in 8 reviews)

1. Things might be getting better

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get to work with some cool technologies. Coworkers are great. Very generous PTO when you start and it grows at a decent rate. There are a few in upper management team that are trying to improve things.

Cons

Pay is low compared to the rest of the area. Deadlines are a bit ridiculous and often made without any input from the development team. The company as a whole is still trying to figure out how to do enterprise web apps, but wants to operate like we are still a desktop shop. This leads to a lot of bad design and process. There are still a lot of upper management that think the way things are is fine and don't see a reason to change.

Advice to Management

Listen to the developers. Don't think that the same processes that "have always worked" will continue to work. Start treating your developers like valued employees instead of resources otherwise they will soon all be gone.

2. Good Company under New Management

Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst I in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst I in Reston, VA

I have been working at Sage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance. Good Benefits.

Cons

Management has a lack of vision. Office in Reston is in a VERY high cost of living area in no. Va.. No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Put people first not numbers.

The company is changing....

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good benefits and good people in R&D.

Cons

Upper management has become more enamored by money than investing in employees. I'm not against making money, but it should not come at such a cost to your employees.

Advice to Management

Take time to let employees know that their work is appreciated. Don't work people into the ground with no reward.

5. Sage Overall

I have been working at Sage full-time

Pros

Exciting things are happening at Sage - now is a great time to become a colleague. Sage is a "Great" company to work for...competitive Rewards package.

Cons

Rapid transformation - both exciting and challenging

It's OK; possible rough times ahead

I have been working at Sage full-time

Pros

Like many software companies, there is a casual environment. Jeans and a T-Shirt (or even shorts) are fine, you don't have to punch a clock (at least in the technical groups). In the right group, you get to work on new and interesting technologies. Base salary is generally competitive (although see Cons below). Depending on your department, you're likely to work with a great local group of people. Work from home varies by department but the technologies for remote working are top notch. Benefits, including healthcare, 401(k), and ancillary programs like health management are good all around.

Cons

Senior management doesn't have their act together. We make decisions that appear obviously ill-advised, pour money and time in to them, and then kill the project after investing millions of dollars and countless hours of blood, sweat, and tears. Recently, there's been a shroud of secrecy over what it is that we're doing for the future (even when the "secret" isn't really something worth protecting). It looks like we're trying to make sure employees aren't distracted but I believe leadership is about being open and honest with your employees, not trying to hide. Compensation Cons: You'd better negotiate a great starting salary (very possible) but be prepared for minute pay raises after that unless you threaten to quit. Unlike most large technology companies, there is no stock incentive plan. All employees are now strictly banded into a salary grade based strictly on title. If you're a superstar, you might get a good (3%) raise... unless you're already paid too much (according to the grade) in which case nothing. There are only pockets of true leadership throughout the organization. While many groups have a good working relationship, there's no good guidance or plan (probably because it's secret to everyone). This means that departments make up their own plan in silos which leads to the inevitable problems when we try to integrate work from many departments together to find out we built a mess because there was no clear picture of what it is we were trying to do. Work-life balance can be an issue at times but generally if your supervisor is good, you can figure out some "unofficial" way of doing comp time.

Advice to Management

Be open with your employees. If you're working on a plan and it's not done, tell us. Don't tell us there's about to be a great plan, or that we have 14 teams working in secret on things that we don't want to bother you with. You're just going to let the rumor mill replace what should be your message to employees. Get the whole employee review / compensation fixed. People are individuals, not cogs in the machine or only as productive as their title says. Teach leadership. When someone becomes a people manager and on regular intervals, actually teach leadership (and not through some HR program but from the top down). Honesty, integrity, spending time with your teams, having a clear and unambiguous plan, communicating changes quickly with good reason. You'll get so much more productivity out of people. Get rid of upper managers that aren't leaders. Have employees rate their direct supervisor on leadership qualities; that would probably be an eye opener and tell you where there are problems.

sage review 2015

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Perfect job to apply troubleshooting skills, talk to new people and learn great marketable skills Beautiful campus location Great campus attitude. Great benefits and a Good management

Cons

Terrible upper management who does not care about their employees.

8. country coordinator

Former Employee - Finance/Southern Ghana Coordinator in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Finance/Southern Ghana Coordinator in Bronx, NY

I worked at Sage (More than 3 years)

Pros

best place to work and share ideas. The organization offers room for improvement

Cons

lack financing. Also there are conflicting roles in certain countries

Advice to Management

structures should be well built and funding sources should be broaden

9. sales

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Sage (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work setting people are very friendly

Cons

Managers are poor too much politics need better managers great environment without managers

International Channel Partner Sales Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Sage

Pros

Large company which offers some security

Cons

Very little investment in R&D so product is very old and they don't appear to be changing their strategy of milking existing customers for support and maintenance revenue.

11. Sage Payroll Services division only

I have been working at Sage

Pros

Being able to work independently in the workplace. Set and work your hours. They know your busy working to make your quota- so typically only a couple of set company wide meetings during the week. You can be a success here, but it is hard work. Great learning experience. However, must have experience in payroll services.

Cons

Management throws people under the bus. There is no longer any team cohesiveness in the payroll services workplace. New hires are not team players; they are only out for themselves. Environment has changed and there is no longer "trust" or "integrity" in the workplace. Management is not always available when you need them when issues arise in the workplace.

Advice to Management

Your best customers are your employees. A healthy environment where management is positive...Focus on being supportive, empowering, available. Stand up for those employees working under you. They are out working hard 24/7 to help make the Sage Payroll Services division a success. Don't disappear during tough times.

RSS Feed </> Embed