Sage Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Stephen Kelly

Pros
  • Work life balance is awesome with flexible hours and work at home opportunities (in 22 reviews)

• Good benefits (including generous 401k vesting); great people to work with (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management can be a bit confusing (in 12 reviews)

• Terrible work environment which encourages bullying (in 8 reviews)

A sad state of affairs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Sage full-time

Pros

Was close to my home Days accumulate at a nice pace

Cons

Salary- i was floored when i found out the rate of pay for the level of knowledge and call volume. Takes a lifetime to reach a decent living wage. No true career pathing

Advice to Management

Do some real work and lighten up! Everyone walks around like they are above all the others.

Customer Support Analyst

I worked at Sage full-time

Pros

Work from home options, can wear jeans everyday, flexible with sick days/call outs, 'Sage Day' with events, pot lucks, sometimes company provides lunch, tuition reimbursement

Cons

Micro management, low salaries, sometimes company will not give raises, sometimes goes through layoffs, tries to get employees to cross train so they have to support other products that they were originally not hired to support

Advice to Management

Get someone into the company who has vision for capitalizing on emerging technology such as Cloud and shape the product around it. It might make for a more profitable product which in turn allows your organization to expand and not overwork your employees.

3. Softare Developer

Pros

Great company and benefits. At the time was I was working there, the company was growing.

Cons

None that I can think of at the moment

Good Company under New Management

Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst I in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst I in Reston, VA

I have been working at Sage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance. Good Benefits.

Cons

Management has a lack of vision. Office in Reston is in a VERY high cost of living area in no. Va.. No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Put people first not numbers.

6. Things might be getting better

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get to work with some cool technologies. Coworkers are great. Very generous PTO when you start and it grows at a decent rate. There are a few in upper management team that are trying to improve things.

Cons

Pay is low compared to the rest of the area. Deadlines are a bit ridiculous and often made without any input from the development team. The company as a whole is still trying to figure out how to do enterprise web apps, but wants to operate like we are still a desktop shop. This leads to a lot of bad design and process. There are still a lot of upper management that think the way things are is fine and don't see a reason to change.

Advice to Management

Listen to the developers. Don't think that the same processes that "have always worked" will continue to work. Start treating your developers like valued employees instead of resources otherwise they will soon all be gone.

It's OK; possible rough times ahead

I have been working at Sage full-time

Pros

Like many software companies, there is a casual environment. Jeans and a T-Shirt (or even shorts) are fine, you don't have to punch a clock (at least in the technical groups). In the right group, you get to work on new and interesting technologies. Base salary is generally competitive (although see Cons below). Depending on your department, you're likely to work with a great local group of people. Work from home varies by department but the technologies for remote working are top notch. Benefits, including healthcare, 401(k), and ancillary programs like health management are good all around.

Cons

Senior management doesn't have their act together. We make decisions that appear obviously ill-advised, pour money and time in to them, and then kill the project after investing millions of dollars and countless hours of blood, sweat, and tears. Recently, there's been a shroud of secrecy over what it is that we're doing for the future (even when the "secret" isn't really something worth protecting). It looks like we're trying to make sure employees aren't distracted but I believe leadership is about being open and honest with your employees, not trying to hide. Compensation Cons: You'd better negotiate a great starting salary (very possible) but be prepared for minute pay raises after that unless you threaten to quit. Unlike most large technology companies, there is no stock incentive plan. All employees are now strictly banded into a salary grade based strictly on title. If you're a superstar, you might get a good (3%) raise... unless you're already paid too much (according to the grade) in which case nothing. There are only pockets of true leadership throughout the organization. While many groups have a good working relationship, there's no good guidance or plan (probably because it's secret to everyone). This means that departments make up their own plan in silos which leads to the inevitable problems when we try to integrate work from many departments together to find out we built a mess because there was no clear picture of what it is we were trying to do. Work-life balance can be an issue at times but generally if your supervisor is good, you can figure out some "unofficial" way of doing comp time.

Advice to Management

Be open with your employees. If you're working on a plan and it's not done, tell us. Don't tell us there's about to be a great plan, or that we have 14 teams working in secret on things that we don't want to bother you with. You're just going to let the rumor mill replace what should be your message to employees. Get the whole employee review / compensation fixed. People are individuals, not cogs in the machine or only as productive as their title says. Teach leadership. When someone becomes a people manager and on regular intervals, actually teach leadership (and not through some HR program but from the top down). Honesty, integrity, spending time with your teams, having a clear and unambiguous plan, communicating changes quickly with good reason. You'll get so much more productivity out of people. Get rid of upper managers that aren't leaders. Have employees rate their direct supervisor on leadership qualities; that would probably be an eye opener and tell you where there are problems.

Sage Response

Aug 11, 2015 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and provide us with your advice and feedback!

sage review 2015

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Perfect job to apply troubleshooting skills, talk to new people and learn great marketable skills Beautiful campus location Great campus attitude. Great benefits and a Good management

Cons

Terrible upper management who does not care about their employees.

The company is changing....

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good benefits and good people in R&D.

Cons

Upper management has become more enamored by money than investing in employees. I'm not against making money, but it should not come at such a cost to your employees.

Advice to Management

Take time to let employees know that their work is appreciated. Don't work people into the ground with no reward.

Sage Response

Aug 11, 2015 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and provide us with advice and feedback!

10. Sage Overall

I have been working at Sage full-time

Pros

Exciting things are happening at Sage - now is a great time to become a colleague. Sage is a "Great" company to work for...competitive Rewards package.

Cons

Rapid transformation - both exciting and challenging

Sage (Payment Solutions) used to be better...

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Reston, VA

I worked at Sage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits (but getting worse every year), good number of vacation hours, casual work environment, and for the most part, hardworking lower-level employees who care about the customers. If you're looking for something to pay the bills and don't care about corporate culture, it will do.

Cons

Upper management, both at Sage Payment Solutions and with Sage as a whole, is absent and gives no clear direction about where Sage is going. New ideas are pushed and then abandoned for the next big thing after countless resources are wasted over many months. Employees are expected to use broken software systems that necessitate many manual processes and that get in the way of what they were hired to do, creating countless inefficiencies. The systems that are used are laughable for a tech company, and the temporary manual processes that are created as workarounds end up being used for years. The new CEO of Payments, who is no improvement from former or interim management in being detached and seeming cluelessness to the inner workings of the division, has proclaimed more than once that "spending is wasting" (which may be a new Sage motto as well). Maybe true, and definitely true if he's referring to the excessive upper management team that seems to serve no real purpose, but still a disheartening thing to hear as a people manager of a team of good workers who already feel underpaid, under appreciated, and unheard. Salaries for employees in front-end risk/loss prevention are around $40-$45K (hardly anything in the DC-metro area), which is disturbing when you consider that these same people are making high-consequence financial decisions on the company's behalf. HR is a joke. They side with management on all matters, and it's becoming increasingly more difficult to hire new people at SPS. In my department, it took nearly 4 months to backfill one low-level position while Sage execs and HR bumbled around deciding whether or not the backfill was necessary (this is after the former employee was terminated with HR's full support, and after HR assured us that backfilling wouldn’t be an issue). Then, when HR finally gave the green light for the recruiter to make a verbal offer to a potential candidate, the offer ended up being rescinded a few days later because of new hiring policies that were rolled out. In my 4 years as hiring manager, I hired 9 people, and maybe 1 of them went off without an HR/recruiter induced hitch or delay. And that pretty much sums up the lack of communication, lack of transparency with leadership, and lack of support from HR or management that seems to have become the norm. In the past 3 years, employee morale has continued to decline to the point now where very few people seem to care about Sage as a brand and instead are just clinging to their jobs, keeping their heads down, and wondering how long they're going to survive before Sage changes direction once again and decides their roles are no longer needed.

Advice to Management

Become better leaders. New leadership is needed with senior management that is comprised of actual leaders rather than just figureheads. Actually bother investing in and properly training the talented people who join your teams, and train yourselves in the inner workings of the company. Before making major changes, take time to understand how all of the departments in your division work instead of assuming you know better, because you don’t. Fire some of the VPs who don't do anything and replace them with frontline employees in understaffed departments. Better yet, fire yourselves and let the company start over.

RSS Feed </> Embed