Sagepath
www.sagepath.com Atlanta, GA

Sagepath Reviews

Updated Mar 5, 2014

Kelly Brereton

A company full of creative and technical experts.

Senior Interactive Designer (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat opportunity to work on interactive projects for a variety of brands ranging from NAPA AUTO PARTS to The Home Depot.
    Flexible work/life balance.
    Great health benefits.
    Sr. leadership takes a real interest in each and every employees life.

ConsAs with most agencies there are often tight deadlines that cause some employees to work later than a standard 40 hour work week.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should consider pushing certain employees a little harder so they can evolve and become more mature in their career.

Low-rent Production House

Contract Designer (Former Employee)

ProsEmployees wander in between 9:30-10am. Many talented people work here for short periods of time, allowing for networking to help employees gain their next jobs.

ConsThere are many challenges present at SagePath, but my main issue was the work itself, which consists mainly of replacing text in newsletters and passing them on to a developer to be placed online. Since most of the work is "internal", designers are encouraged to "grab" images off of Google Image Search, which is copyright infringement. I caught multiple mistakes, including live documents with "Lorem Ipsum" text, which no one -- not the designer, the project manager, QA, the developer, or the client read (because the work is on that level of importance).

Turnover is extremely high; in the two months that I worked here at least eight people that I know of left for "real" jobs and at least half of the creative department left immediately before my employment. The work is on the level of a freshman internship, and art direction consists of "put a gradient on it". Project managers do most of the art direction. Projects are not organized before you begin, so there are usually 10+ rounds of feedback to correct copy, add images, or completely redo the "look and feel" since there are no styleframes to speak of.

Clients question the validity of their bills, because putting 15 hours into a newsletter update is insane, and work is devalued because SagePath goes along with everything the client says as they are desperate not to lose anyone. The environment is very unprofessional; clients are made fun of by senior project managers, and everyone has something to say about the boss (as the Glassdoor reviews have shown). Management talks about employees behind their backs, generally within earshot of others if not the employee himself, and I witnessed multiple people being escorted out of the building before their two weeks' notice was up because the owners allow their emotions to run their business and take career changes personally, leaving the rest of their employees consistently overworked and shortstaffed. If you desire to have a job that requires no critical thinking, few skills, and management who thinks that everything should be made in Photoshop, then this is definitely the position for you!

Advice to Senior ManagementClients are frustrated by the turnover at SagePath, which stems directly from leadership. I don't know how to rescue a sinking ship, so I won't give advice on how to do it. Also, you are asking for a lawsuit by stealing images and selling them to clients.

Welcome to Sagepath - agency disfunction at its finest!

(Former Employee)

ProsSagepath consistently hires some of the top talent in Atlanta. I've known quite a few people who have worked here and they are some of the best in the industry.

-Located in Buckhead, with a nice office view.

-Compensation is at or a little bit above industry standards in Atlanta.

-Talented people have come to work here and they stay connected when they leave. Always good to have contacts throughout the industry.

-Some big name clients, with a caveat. Look in the cons.

ConsLet me start off by saying, I'm not some disgruntled ex-employee coming on here and going on a Sagepath rampage. I quit on my own volition and was not pushed out the door. Look around local agencies and companies in Atlanta. Ask the people who have worked there. Everyone will comment that below is 100% accurate. I was warned before taking a job there, and in my time there I saw all these warnings validated.

-The owners have to be the worst upper management I've worked with in my entire career. They micromanage every project down to the finest detail. Why even have account people or creative if you can do the job?

-Yes, talented people have worked here. But they've moved on because of leadership problems. The turnover rate there is horrific. If you're there six months you should be tenured. A former colleague of mine said it best, 'Worst year of my career. I would never work there again.'

-Because of the constant state of flux in employees the morale there is downright awful. The office doesn't feel relaxed and inviting, it feels like a sweat shop. Employees are never given respect for a job well done. Even Employee of the Month rewards feel awkward when given out at the company meetings.

-Projects aren't distributed to the best employee for what type of work upcoming or needed. It's always fly by the seat of your pants. Whoever is open gets the project. Finish your current project a little bit before the end of the day, you're getting another and staying late. Developers are also put on creative projects because they're so shorthanded. Where else does this happen? Nowhere...

-Timelines for projects are non-existent. The alpha female there loves getting work from clients and telling them that it will be done the next day or within an hour sometimes. Doesn't matter that you're on another project. Her project WILL be done first.

-The alpha female has screamed at several employees in the middle of the company. This is completely unacceptable. Everyone there is a professional and should be treated as so.

-As for the work. They do have some big name clients like Coke and Home Depot. Here's the problem, it's all B2B work that even the internal clients at these big companies don't want to deal with. If you like making PowerPoints or doing internal charts, head on over to their .com and apply. (Sorry, you can't do that. Their site is a dated POS.)

-Briefs are a thing of the past here. Sagepath has apparently evolved to the point where they don't need them. I never saw a single one. Kind of hard to know what you need to do without a concrete goal in place, no?

-The ownership constantly throws their employees under the bus in front of their clients. It's never lack of time on a project or leadership within the agency. It's all the employees' faults 100% of the time. You want to build faith in your employees? This is the exact opposite of what you need to do.

-The ownership there are a bunch of 'yes men'. An agency is supposed to lead and guide the client. By saying yes to everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, there are constant revisions. I saw an email in my time there go through 20 rounds (not exaggerating) of revisions. Everyone in the company touched it. In the end it was one of the most chopped up emails I have ever seen. It looked like a BLIND KINDERGARTENER'S MACARONI ART. I've worked with eCRM creatives, and they can actually execute good looking creative despite it being an email. You are an agency because you have a vision and you stick to your guns. This is what happens when you let a client lead.

-In my time there I think there were 3 or 4 ECDs. There cannot be a consistent creative vision within your company if there's a revolving door of ECDs. Agencies build their buzz with creative. I've seen amazing work come out of some of those departments when you stick with and rely on a solid ECD.

-Layoffs are erratic and at times no other company would fire people. The last massive firing I heard about there, from around the industry, was a month ago. (?) They fired over half of the creative team to 'restructure' their creative vision. No warning or reason for half of these firings as I was told. And this is right before the holiday season. Companies layoff employees in October or at the beginning of the year out of respect, not here. Merry Christmas kids, mommy just lost her job.

-Many past clients of Sagepath won't ever work with them again. They've had experiences with them that are terrible. I've never before worked in an agency where a whole community of clients in your town won't work with you.

-0% of the people on Glassdoor approve of the CEO. 0...

I could go on and on here, but I think I'll stop. You should start seeing the picture of what I went through at this company. If you want to run that gauntlet be my guest. I'll have a stiff drink waiting for you on the other side.

Advice to Senior ManagementWAKE UP! Learn to act like principals and you have taken one step in the right direction.

Treat your employees with respect first and foremost. You build a company by valuing and trusting the people you hire. In companies around the world, employees have their titles because of hard work and dedication that got them there.They are competent inside their fields and can finish the task you give them. When you micromanage, you minimize their job and frustrate them. This leads to your high turnover rate and bad mouthing within the local industry.

Stop trying to show yourself off as a creative agency. You are purely a production shop... Period. You should hire more temps and interns rather than going for higher level creatives around Atlanta. The higher level people who can concept don't stay around to work on the next best email for Coke. It just doesn't happen.

Your account side is actually structured and runs on a schedule. If you ever came to A SINGLE scheduling meeting you could see this. When your tell clients 'I can do that in an hour', you constantly throw a wrench into a lot of people's schedules. Quick projects happen, but they happen every day here. This is a major and consistent problem.

'The customer is always right' doesn't apply at an agency. You are there to guide an idea a client hands to you. QUIT BEING A YES MAN. In the end if you push back and the idea turns out better than expected, the client will be thrilled that you worked on this project with them. They'll start giving you better projects time and time again because you keep knocking ones out of the park. I know, it sounds crazy, saying no to a client. IT'S NOT. That is actually called, working in (wait for it...) collaboration. Never again Sagepath, you'll run the talent pool in Atlanta dry some day.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

GTFO

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsNice coworkers for the most part if you keep your head down and stay out of the office politics, okay benefits, opportunity to put known client names on the resume (though the work you'll do for them is less than adequate and probably not something you'll want to take credit for).

ConsAbsolutely the most unprofessional workplace I have ever been exposed to. A married couple runs the place- all the problems stem from this. Micro-managing at it's finest. Typical no-notice "do it NOW" deadlines with no regard of work quality. Talent that IS there remains unacknowledged. CEO alpha female has no idea how to run a business. She is caught up in her own tornado of disorganization and scape-goats low-level employees without reason based on whatever mood swing she is undergoing. Average employee is lied to, gossiped about, and/or manipulated. Stay away if you want to have a semi-enjoyable work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying to your clients and taking advantage of your staff. Trust your employees to do their jobs well and stop micromanaging topics you know nothing about. If you treat your employees like actual people, maybe the turn-over rate will be more than 6 months.

A glass box of neurosis

Senior Associate Executive Lackey (Current Employee)

ProsDecent office space.
    Free parking.
    A nice view.
    The compensation and benefits are adequate, at least in regard to role/position.

ConsThe owners. Eric and Kelly are way in over their heads. Eric at least seems to have his heart in the right place but does not trust people to do their jobs and always looks in a panic. Kelly is all flash and little substance. She will openly talk negatively about her employees and sensitive business matters within ear shot of staff. She is good salesperson, if your definition is saying yes to whatever the client wants and then throwing the hardships over the fence with a "just do it" attitude. She would do great at a car dealership or pony show.

All of the problems cascade down from the top. And that is not going to change.

Chaos

Creative (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsWorking at Sagepath you are exposed to notable clients – if you have the skills and willingness to give (and I mean give up your personal life up to and including evenings, weekends, and holidays), you can do great work.

ConsIf and when you need personal time, for a haircut, or lunch, or sleep – you will not get it. Long hours don't begin to explain it, you are expected to be on constant call.

You work will be directed by the owners, to a level of detail that it may no longer feel like your work.

There is a culture of gossip, misinformation, and manipulation. The owners, and their business as a whole, do not operate ethically, much less with any transparency.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand professional boundaries. Do not micromanage.

Great Starting Place for Entry Level Employment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsSagepath has some hooks into some great corporations which is extremely important for people who are new to the digital marketing industry. The exposure to these high level clients will be very beneficial later in your career.

ConsSagepath Executives don't understand work/life balance
    The projects are mostly production and internally focused
    Staff works while they're in meetings; this means you'll likely have to repeat yourself often

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to be something your not. Focus on what you're good at and then redefine your product offering.

Definitely no place like it.

Web Developer (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsThe best part of working at Sagepath is that they will pay above market rate for just about every position they hire for. This is because they have a very high turnover rate. They have no problem getting business, but they struggle to keep people around. Another good thing about Sagepath is that there is a tight-knit group of current and ex-employees that stay in touch and try and support one-another.

ConsSenior management engages in highly manipulative tactics to keep employees in line. Multiple versions of the same story regarding important accounts and projects are circulated in order to suit the ends of management and keep employees generally divided into neat groups based mostly on personality.

When you try to put in a two weeks' notice, management will immediately offer a pay increase, and will try and guilt-trip you into staying.

The owners, and by consequence, senior management regularly lie to employees and clients about their familial relationships to one another because they fear that junior and mid-level staff will have concerns about conflicts of interest. Advancement depends almost entirely on how closely related you are to the owners, or how close friends you are with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being dishonest with clients and employees. An open an honest environment is important for creativity and more importantly, happiness.

Micro-Management and disorganization.

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsAlthough the company is very small you will have the opportunity of wearing many hats throughout their projects. It was a great way of getting the experience i needed for my career.

They provide employees with great snacks like Pringles and Popcorn, YUMMM!!!

ConsUnfortunately, Sagepath's leadership lacks on respect towards their employees and management skills. The toxic atmosphere, constant stress and micro-management was not allowing me to grow and show my true talents.

During my time at Sagepath I had to work with a sick co-worker that was not allowed to go home. I was sick after a couple of days and even though I stayed home I was constantly getting calls from management demanding me to work from home.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to be the best interactive company in town you HAVE to respect your employees. They are the ones delivering projects and service to your clients and if they are not happy the clients will notice.

Great Place to Work At

Project Management (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsI love the people that I work with - very bright and intelligent and hard working. I also really enjoy the clients - we work with Fortune 1000 clients that provide us opportunities to design and deliver cutting edge solutions. The work is challenging and innovation and involves a lot of collaboration with other team members.

The benefits are great. We often have lunch brought in when we are working on projects. We often get time off after projects are completed and management always is very understanding about personal time off. We also get a year end bonus as well as health care coverage that is 100% covered by the employer.

ConsThere was a restaurant in the building, but it closed. Supposedly a new deli is being built. Otherwise, there are a few choices across the road and down the street.

Advice to Senior ManagementSagepath is looking to grow over the next couple of years. I am looking forward to being part of the growth and hope we go far.

Worked for Sagepath? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sagepath reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sagepath CEO Kelly Brereton. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Sagepath employees.