Sageworks

Updated December 20, 2014
3.5

Sageworks CEO Scott Ogle
Scott Ogle

Pros
  • Don't be fooled by the veil of casual dress and dog friendly office (in 10 reviews)

• The culture is cool, you get to dress casual and bring your dog to work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • A work-life balance can be difficult to achieve (in 12 reviews)

• It is not a negative for me, but you have to be comfortable to work in a fast paced environment (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

you'll be challenged and will learn a ton

Current Employee - Current Employee
    Current Employee - Current Employee

I have been working at Sageworks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-You'll get a chance to fully drive projects and initiatives, from inception to completion.
    -The culture of a tech startup (fast paced, casual dress, high expectations, flat) in an established, fast-growing company.
    -The people are super interesting: incredibly driven & sharp, but also unique and a little bit offbeat
    -You always know where you stand. Very little ambiguity and minimal backbiting
    -Sophisticated technology and products, that actually add value to the consumer
    -Leadership is trying actively to foster creativity, see: the Innovation Lab.
    -People here want to win. There's a proven track record of setting super aggressive, borderline unrealistic goals... and then actually hitting those goals.
    -There are several conduits for employee feedback (much of which is actually implemented)

Cons

As mentioned above, this is a technology company, with an environment that closely resembles a startup. It's a results-driven company, and expectations are high. People take goals seriously. People work very hard. Feedback and communication is very direct. With the right mindset, this can be a great thing, almost like an accelerated MBA program, but it's not a fit for everyone.

As the company grows, hold onto the core principles

Be a CEO

Current Employee - Product Team in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Product Team in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Sageworks full-time

Pros

My favorite thing about Sageworks is that I have an impact on the company. I work in product development and since I have been there I can look back on products that I have designed and helped build and know I legitimately accomplished something. In the product area, it's not uncommon to be given a large product or piece of a product and told to completely "own" it. At Sageworks that means anything from finding experts to help you figure out what it should do, vendors to work with if it's cheaper to buy vs build certain components, hiring interns or full time people to support and gather information for it, focus grouping the product, designing it's user interface, and managing the developers to make sure the product gets out by a set deadline and is bug free. The company pushes incredibly hard which in some cases is a negative but in my case it has helped me achieve things I wouldn't have otherwise. Another pro of Sageworks is the people themselves. In the product area there is a relatively flat structure and because of this when I need to vet an idea I can call a meeting with a group of my peers and get a lot of smart people helping me think through what's going to go wrong with my solution to a problem. These people actually want to help me without dragging their feet or sighing or any type of resistance and it's not something I've seen in other places. The last pro I want to list is that the way the company is run causes very few things to get in the way of me actually doing something. If I need to hire a few people to help with a data project, take a few hours of a developer to automate something manual, change the priorities of the project I'm working on, etc... I don't have to go through meetings and approval. I send an email letting anyone who needs to be aware what I'm doing and move forward with it unless they have a reason to object. This means I'm not bogged down with constantly trying to show people who aren't as close to the action as me what the right decision is.

Cons

A con of Sageworks is the long hours. Especially for new hires to the product team, you can expect to work a lot. I will give them that over time, the hours move towards a normal 50 hour per week job because they understand it's not possible for an employee to do that long term. Another con is that things are constantly changing. You may have a set project or product you are working on and a plan to get X done by Y date and something will come up and you are told you need to work on something else. This can be frustrating sometimes because you can get the feeling that you aren't able to get something all the way done because once it's close you move to something else letting someone finish the rest of the work. My last con is that the office is extremely tight on space. Conference rooms are almost always out of the question and even finding places to have a phone call can be difficult. I heard this is being addressed before the start of 2015 by getting more space so that should resolve this.

Fast paced environment with great people

I have been working at Sageworks

Pros

It is great working with such bright people on a daily basis. Success is clearly defined at the company and you have very supportive colleagues. Great place for your first job.

Cons

Hours can be long but rewarding

Fast paced, high growth company with great people

Current Employee - Product Development in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Product Development in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Sageworks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My three favorite parts about working at Sageworks are the people (smart, honest, open), the amount I've been able to learn about all facets of the business as a result of the flat organizational structure, and the opportunity to wear many different hats. I have learned more here than I could have at almost any other company in twice as long.

Cons

It's not a con for me but the environment is extremely results-oriented and fast-paced, which isn't for everyone!

Let's do everything we can to continue to keep all of the great aspects of Sageworks in tact as we continue to expand.

Great company for anyone looking to gain a lot of experience quickly

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Sageworks full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I really appreciate the straightforward manner of communication at Sageworks, that I get to interface directly with the people who run the company (there are not layers and layers of middle managers), and that I've been able to bounce around to different roles within the company, which has allowed me to get a lot of experience in different areas.

Cons

Things move quickly, but things get done. This isn't for some people.

Keep implementing employee suggestions. Little things make a big difference.

There is a reason for SW 2014 NCTA Customer Service award.

I have been working at Sageworks full-time

Pros

I was part of this company and know the award was well deserved. Customer Service is a guiding principle of the company.
    Pros:
    1. I liked the fast pace and the strong drive to create and enhance good products- largely from customer feed back which is part of customer service.
    2. We were very aware, enjoyed, and took pride to create and sustain good products and customer satisfaction.
    3. Smart people who think quickly, move quickly and are really engaged in what they are doing.
    Usually people write on these things to gripe--I'm writing to let people know how satisfied I was for several years to work at SW until my husband got a fellowship and we had to move.

Cons

I am happy that the company has expanded to more physical space and new furniture- it was too crowded in some offices.

Keep up the energy
    Get another refrigerator!

BAD--Bad Company, Bad Managers, Bad People, Bad Experience

Current Employee - Software Developer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Sageworks

Pros

There is nothing good to say about Sageworks. The Chairman and CEO attempt to have the interns post positive reviews on Glassdoor, but their comments are so transparent that it really is pathetic. Sageworks has to "talk" about positive things because your real experience, once they lure you into accepting a job, is anything but positive. Once you are an employee of Sageworks, and you realize how God-awful the place is, you realize that you can't just leave because of how bad it will look on your resume to have a job with such a short tenure. Do yourself the favor and do not go to Sageworks in the first place.

Cons

If you are absolutely desparate for a job then this is the place for you. Sageworks will most likely pay you more than you can earn elsewhere, and the reason for that is because they have to offer something to entice unwitting people to accept positions with this sad company. They will tell you that all of the negative comments posted here come from angry ex-employees. While it is true that there are a lot of angry ex-employees, there are an equal amount of current employees who are just as angry and hate working there. They will allow you to interview only with managers and the recruiters, because the managers and recruiters are the only people who will lie to you about what it is like to work there. During your interview, ask to meet with lower level employees who have been there between 3-6 months and ask these people if they enjoy working there. Ask these people if the work environment is toxic and dysfunctional. Read their body language as they look down and hesitate before answering you. Their reaction should tell you the truth about how absolutely horrible it is to work for Sageworks.

Sadly, there is no advice that management will accept that would make a difference. The Chairman and CEO have a value system that is void of truly caring about the well-being of their employees.

A joke of a company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Sageworks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Casual dress, surprisingly some great coworkers, health benefit plan, decent salary.

Cons

Everything else; work life balance, work conditions, micro managers in charge, no retirement benefits at all, no long term vision or plan what-so-ever, despite all the talk of growth and profitability they run on a shoestring budget, crazy turnover, no stability, no real experience that translates to anywhere else because of the insanity, facilities are awful, and no confidence in promises made by the management because chances are in a month you'll have a new boss anyway. The CEO is a CEO in title only, the founder is the real person in charge and he's crazy. The only reason he wants the company "run by young people" isn't to be edgy or hip, it is so nobody there will have a backbone or stand up to his bs. Anyone with real work experience or of any senior level talent gets run off the second they disagree with the craziness.

Oh and by the way, any positive reviews on here are totally fake. Management makes interns come on and post positive reviews.

Sell the company to someone that wants to run a legitimate business. Get out of your own way. The founder just wants to invent the next big thing and uses a legitimate company to fund his pet projects with his pet employees. Sell the company, take the money and the pet employees and go create whatever you want. Stop torturing the people who are trying to work at a real company. Stop lying to people during your hiring process, stop pretending you have big plans and want talented people to help you get there. You have no plans, you want to micro manage people until they either quit or stand up for themselves and get fired. Even if you had plans, and could achieve them as you are currently constituted, and got there, what does it matter, none of your employees share in your success because there is no profit sharing or equity plan in place. Sageworks doesn't have SOUL it takes souls and ruins careers.

Good Luck

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Sageworks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you find your way into the good graces of leadership, and take advantage of the constant fire sale process, you can easily secure some excellent bonuses. The CEO is known for making compensation deals to get money in the door on the last few days of each month that can generate $10K+ bonuses. The only thing that matters at Sageworks is top line revenue bookings and smart employees can position themselves well to make money for a few months.

Cons

The issues you’ll find at Sageworks can be broken into two primary categories: integrity and intelligence. The CEO and Chairman are severely lacking in both categories.

Look no further than massive turnover that happens each year (or month) to see the beginnings of the problems. Company leadership (which is really only two people – Chairman and CEO) has openly espoused the idea that accomplished employees bring a negative perspective to the company and that constantly hiring young, easily indoctrinated staff members is the best strategy. It’s important to emphasize the word “constant.” If you are hired one week, you have job security and training for a week at most. After that, you are quite likely to be fired if you’re not generating revenue or have the unfortunate fate of being the target of one of the CEO’s innovative ideas for “reform.” Even if you’re not fired, your compensation may well be changed on a quarterly basis to reflect the CEO’s whims and “inspire” you to generate more last-minute revenue at the end of the month. Your compensation change might also be retroactive and be announced at any point during the month. If you have a family (you’re not likely to be hired), beware because you may quickly be unable to pay the mortgage and will likely find that your compensation plan isn’t nearly as lucrative as you were promised. Your large bonus is significantly overpromised because you will never reach some of the revenue growth expectations that leadership has promised the shareholders. Even worse, there is a clear pattern of leadership firing employees prior to end-of-year bonuses to save money.

The recruiting process, while chaotic, can be compelling. You’ll be told that you are joining a startup and have an incredible opportunity to lead. The CEO and President are known to be very compelling in the process. If you joined the Sageworks team in 2014, you would have recognized that there were several very accomplished executives who had joined the organization. By the end of 2014, almost none remain. All worked less than a year and were handcuffed without any ability to actually improve the organization (one person left inside of 2 months).

Now, you are probably interested in finding out what your job duties would entail. You might think that it would depend on your title and role. But it doesn’t. If you are an accomplished executive used to managing millions in strategic revenue, you will be forced to call your Sageworks’ customers every day during the last week of the month asking for check numbers or sincere promises from your contacts that they will be mailing payment prior to the 1st. You’ll be forced to drastically discount customer contract prices months in advance of their expiration in order to book revenue right away. There will never be a time that you’re not in a revenue emergency and NOTHING will be allowed to get in the way of booking that revenue – whether it be basic best practices, ethical, or even legal behavior.

At best, the CEO might achieve a Manager level role in a peer organization, but his close relationship with the Chairman secures his job.

Sell. Fast.

Revenues are in a free fall but the company is still valuable enough to pay for a few luxurious retirements. Don't miss your chance.

tough

Former Employee - Regional Territory Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Regional Territory Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Sageworks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This job teaches you discipline. Nothing is handed to you, ever. This is the closest thing to a "pro" that I could think of.

Cons

for sales role, you are given territories that have been hammered in the past. No warm leads given ever. Culture is poor, law suites waiting to happen. They allow horrible and unethical behavior from top sales performers because they are generating revenue.

N/A