Sageworks

Updated February 6, 2015
3.9

Sageworks CEO Scott Ogle
Scott Ogle

Pros
  • Don't be fooled by the veil of casual dress and dog friendly office (in 10 reviews)

• The culture is cool, you get to dress casual and bring your dog to work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • A work-life balance can be difficult to achieve (in 12 reviews)

• It is not a negative for me, but you have to be comfortable to work in a fast paced environment (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

A Challenge

Current Employee - Support in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Support in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Sageworks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-You work with a lot of smart people, who push you and therefore help you grow professionally
    -You have the chance to build up a lot of different skills, rather than repeating the same set of tasks
    -The achievements you make have an impact on the company, and leadership is good about showing you that impact on sales/new products
    -I think pay is above average

Cons

-The flat organization makes it a little hard to see a career path if you are looking for title changes to show development
    -Smart people pushing you can come off as abrasive if you aren't used to direct feedback
    -A lot of change (mostly because of growth), but it can be difficult to manage

As the company grows and you add people/new product lines, try to be more transparent so other employees can be exciting by the growth around them. Transparency would increase buy-in and trust.

Great Opportunity to Grow

I have been working at Sageworks

Pros

- The people you work with at Sageworks are very smart and dedicated. They provide a vibrant atmosphere that I very much enjoy working in.
    - True opportunity to experience different roles within the company, which builds your professional skillset up a ton.
    - A system of constant, straightforward feedback between everyone at the company (even senior management).
    - A real focus on customers. The speed and quality in which customers are served are truly off the charts.

Cons

- You are expected to work hard to meet your goals, and this results in longer hours than a typical 9-5 company.
    - If you're expecting a hierarchial org structure, Sageworks might not be the place for you.

From college kid to running a company in a matter of months

Current Employee - Product Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Sageworks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Started right into Sageworks immediately after graduating a little over a year ago. After a couple of months of long hours and hard work I was moved into developing and running an entire product line. Growing a product from the ground up and being given free reign to succeed (and mess up) at my own speed has been the most valuable experience I could have possible asked for. While my friends are still halfway through their entry-level corporate rotations, I'm in charge of a revenue-generating company without any of the risk. Definitely a positive experience or the entrepreneurial mind.

Cons

A lot of responsibility comes with the territory. Nobody is watching over your shoulder or counting your hours, but that comes with the price of having to manage yourself. There's no set amount of time you have to work per week, because you need to work as long as you have to in order to hit your goals.

Great place to start and build a career

I have been working at Sageworks

Pros

You will have the chance to create new products from Day 1. As a new hire, you are 100% responsible for your product or your area. Everyone who works there is smart, sharp, and hardworking. This is an amazing place for budding entrepreneurs who want to learn how to run their own business. Lastly, the person with the most data always wins.

Cons

One of the challenges of working at Sageworks is work-balance. The projects that we work on are challenging and difficult; subsequently, you have to put in the hours if you want to be successful.

Shameful treatment of employees

Former Employee - Dirtector-Business Development in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Dirtector-Business Development in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Sageworks full-time (less than a year)

Pros

None. The other people working there were equally flabbergasted by the terrible treatment and horrible rtraining and we could complain together. It was truly devoid of any positives. See below

Cons

I started in July with 15 others. Not a single person in the group made it a year. 12 left or were fired within 3 months. 7:30am-6:30pm straight cold calling with bonus sessions of "teaching" about the product you are selling on Saturdays. Sales force not taught properly about the product - 3 days of training. They will hire anyone, knowing they are expendable. Sales philosophy is high pressure cold calling. Making 150 calls a day, mostly bad leads. Every minute is stressful. You are not treated well. Senior management is clearly under a lot of pressure to grow the company and will use any tactics necessary to make money. The treatment of employees is sociopathic. Hiring people just to quickly fire them and disrupt their careers is awful. Recruiting firms calles me constantly when I worked there, and they called everyone else too, because everyone was desperate to leave. An emotinaly scarring experience. Worst employer imagineable.

Consultant

I have been working at Sageworks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced with the ability to really work for customer success. Open dialogue with management team, allows your voice to be heard.

Cons

Focus on revenue is intense and customer success can be seen as an afterthought. Work environment could be a bit more formal. Work/life balance can be difficult in some positions.

Provide professional development to team members that show promise and loyalty to the company. Having advancement opportunities mean a lot and remember you people are your biggest resources, not your products.

Great Place to Learn and to Grow

I have been working at Sageworks full-time

Pros

Sageworks is unlike any other place I've ever worked. These are very smart people who know what their goals are, and work mightily to achieve them. Managers are there to help and support -- and employee access to those at the top is unparalleled. Everyone is encouraged to challenge and to be challenged. There is no hidden agenda. Time is not wasted. Meetings are not held just for the sake of getting an update. Ideas are discussed and action items are acted upon. Everyone is expected to contribute. Individual efforts are recognized, but because it's such a collaborative environment, the team shares the spotlight.

This is a place for self-starters, idea people who can think big and execute on their ideas, people who are not willing to hang back and wait to be told what to do at every step. The success of this approach is measured in the company's growth through the years.

Cons

Not a place for people who think they can get by sitting quietly in the corner. If you need a strict management hierarchy, or expect to move in a clear straight line without taking on something new or different, or if you're used to managing your career from one performance review to another, or if your idea of work is showing up at 9 and leaving at 5... this may not be your kind of place. Much is expected, but you will learn a ton and will be rewarded with opportunities that will surprise and impress you.

Senior managers do a great job of keeping employees in the loop each month with respect to business developments, and achieving goals. As the organization continues to grow and expand, it will be important for them to focus even more on individual needs and aspirations to insure they'll keep the best and the brightest.

Wonderful Opportunities to Learn and Grow

I have been working at Sageworks

Pros

As a software developer who has been with Sageworks for 11 years, I have been a part of our growth across multiple products and markets. One word that really sums up my experience is opportunity.

Although my primary role is in software development, I have had the opportunity to make technology decisions,
    work in multiple roles (project management, database administration, and information security), lead training and
    code review initiatives, as well as empower some of our talented developers to share knowledge across the organization. This really is a place where talented people with convictions are empowered to use their gifts. Our general philosophy is to hire smart people and leverage their expertise to help us design and build great products. Bottom line: What you do here will make a difference.

Another great aspect to Sageworks is the culture. Our relentless focus on customer service has helped me learn that
    building and maintaining great products is a hands-on process where you interact with customers and let them tell you what you don't know. I've also learned a lot about taking responsibility for the things that no one else sees; we
    reward people for finding problems and admitting failure, because the sooner we know about issues, the sooner we can address them.

My favorite part about the company is the people here. We have a tremendously talented group of people who continue to challenge me day in and day out to grow, both personally and professionally. As I mentioned above, there is a ton of grace for you if you're willing to be honest and genuinely desire to grow. I count it a special privilege to be a part of this group of people and consider myself blessed to be here.

Cons

If you need a lot of hand-holding, one on one training, or even want a tightly structured work environment,
    Sageworks may not be the best for you. We really are interested in hiring talented people who have a lot of
    independent initiative and are very flexible. We tend to shift gears quickly, so if the idea of switching projects
    does not appeal to you, we may not be a great fit.

Another related issue comes about as as result of our current stage of growth and business model. As a growing
    ASP (Application Service Provider) who is focused on customer service, we occasionally work during off-hours / weekends for technical issues and product releases. To me, this is a natural consequence of being in a role where what you do really matters, but it can be challenging sometimes.

I know that we have started developing some documents containing clear and simple explanations of our culture.
    Posting these on the website will help re-enforce expectations for people who are on the fence about whether Sageworks is the right choice for them. I would also like to hear more regular updates on the future plans for the company, as these are always exciting.

From a college kid to a professional

I have been working at Sageworks full-time

Pros

I get to work on high value products and have a tangible impact on their development. The people I work with are smart, ambitious, hard working, and caring. Management is very open to working with you (speaking from personal as well as from other people's experiences).

Cons

Longer hours than a typical 9-5 company. AFAIK people get some hours reduced after a while to prevent burnout. Also high turnover in sales department can be demoralizing to the other salespeople but that appears to be the nature of the beast.

Would like to see more company wide activities; perhaps return to the the bi-annual beach retreat?
    Rewards / extra credits for non-sales employees?

Fast paced environment with great people

I have been working at Sageworks

Pros

It is great working with such bright people on a daily basis. Success is clearly defined at the company and you have very supportive colleagues. Great place for your first job.

Cons

Hours can be long but rewarding

Sageworks Photos