Sageworks Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

Great Place to Learn and to Grow

I have been working at Sageworks full-time

Pros

Sageworks is unlike any other place I've ever worked. These are very smart people who know what their goals are, and work mightily to achieve them. Managers are there to help and support -- and employee access to those at the top is unparalleled. Everyone is encouraged to challenge and to be challenged. There is no hidden agenda. Time is not wasted. Meetings are not held just for the sake of getting an update. Ideas are discussed and action items are acted upon. Everyone is expected to contribute. Individual efforts are recognized, but because it's such a collaborative environment, the team shares the spotlight. This is a place for self-starters, idea people who can think big and execute on their ideas, people who are not willing to hang back and wait to be told what to do at every step. The success of this approach is measured in the company's growth through the years.

Cons

Not a place for people who think they can get by sitting quietly in the corner. If you need a strict management hierarchy, or expect to move in a clear straight line without taking on something new or different, or if you're used to managing your career from one performance review to another, or if your idea of work is showing up at 9 and leaving at 5... this may not be your kind of place. Much is expected, but you will learn a ton and will be rewarded with opportunities that will surprise and impress you.

Advice to Management

Senior managers do a great job of keeping employees in the loop each month with respect to business developments, and achieving goals. As the organization continues to grow and expand, it will be important for them to focus even more on individual needs and aspirations to insure they'll keep the best and the brightest.

Great place to start and build a career

I have been working at Sageworks

Pros

You will have the chance to create new products from Day 1. As a new hire, you are 100% responsible for your product or your area. Everyone who works there is smart, sharp, and hardworking. This is an amazing place for budding entrepreneurs who want to learn how to run their own business. Lastly, the person with the most data always wins.

Cons

One of the challenges of working at Sageworks is work-balance. The projects that we work on are challenging and difficult; subsequently, you have to put in the hours if you want to be successful.

Consultant

I have been working at Sageworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced with the ability to really work for customer success. Open dialogue with management team, allows your voice to be heard.

Cons

Focus on revenue is intense and customer success can be seen as an afterthought. Work environment could be a bit more formal. Work/life balance can be difficult in some positions.

Advice to Management

Provide professional development to team members that show promise and loyalty to the company. Having advancement opportunities mean a lot and remember you people are your biggest resources, not your products.

Shameful treatment of employees

Former Employee - Dirtector-Business Development in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Dirtector-Business Development in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Sageworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. The other people working there were equally flabbergasted by the terrible treatment and horrible rtraining and we could complain together. It was truly devoid of any positives. See below

Cons

I started in July with 15 others. Not a single person in the group made it a year. 12 left or were fired within 3 months. 7:30am-6:30pm straight cold calling with bonus sessions of "teaching" about the product you are selling on Saturdays. Sales force not taught properly about the product - 3 days of training. They will hire anyone, knowing they are expendable. Sales philosophy is high pressure cold calling. Making 150 calls a day, mostly bad leads. Every minute is stressful. You are not treated well. Senior management is clearly under a lot of pressure to grow the company and will use any tactics necessary to make money. The treatment of employees is sociopathic. Hiring people just to quickly fire them and disrupt their careers is awful. Recruiting firms calles me constantly when I worked there, and they called everyone else too, because everyone was desperate to leave. An emotinaly scarring experience. Worst employer imagineable.

From a college kid to a professional

I have been working at Sageworks full-time

Pros

I get to work on high value products and have a tangible impact on their development. The people I work with are smart, ambitious, hard working, and caring. Management is very open to working with you (speaking from personal as well as from other people's experiences).

Cons

Longer hours than a typical 9-5 company. AFAIK people get some hours reduced after a while to prevent burnout. Also high turnover in sales department can be demoralizing to the other salespeople but that appears to be the nature of the beast.

Advice to Management

Would like to see more company wide activities; perhaps return to the the bi-annual beach retreat? Rewards / extra credits for non-sales employees?

Wonderful Opportunities to Learn and Grow

I have been working at Sageworks

Pros

As a software developer who has been with Sageworks for 11 years, I have been a part of our growth across multiple products and markets. One word that really sums up my experience is opportunity. Although my primary role is in software development, I have had the opportunity to make technology decisions, work in multiple roles (project management, database administration, and information security), lead training and code review initiatives, as well as empower some of our talented developers to share knowledge across the organization. This really is a place where talented people with convictions are empowered to use their gifts. Our general philosophy is to hire smart people and leverage their expertise to help us design and build great products. Bottom line: What you do here will make a difference. Another great aspect to Sageworks is the culture. Our relentless focus on customer service has helped me learn that building and maintaining great products is a hands-on process where you interact with customers and let them tell you what you don't know. I've also learned a lot about taking responsibility for the things that no one else sees; we reward people for finding problems and admitting failure, because the sooner we know about issues, the sooner we can address them. My favorite part about the company is the people here. We have a tremendously talented group of people who continue to challenge me day in and day out to grow, both personally and professionally. As I mentioned above, there is a ton of grace for you if you're willing to be honest and genuinely desire to grow. I count it a special privilege to be a part of this group of people and consider myself blessed to be here.

Cons

If you need a lot of hand-holding, one on one training, or even want a tightly structured work environment, Sageworks may not be the best for you. We really are interested in hiring talented people who have a lot of independent initiative and are very flexible. We tend to shift gears quickly, so if the idea of switching projects does not appeal to you, we may not be a great fit. Another related issue comes about as as result of our current stage of growth and business model. As a growing ASP (Application Service Provider) who is focused on customer service, we occasionally work during off-hours / weekends for technical issues and product releases. To me, this is a natural consequence of being in a role where what you do really matters, but it can be challenging sometimes.

Advice to Management

I know that we have started developing some documents containing clear and simple explanations of our culture. Posting these on the website will help re-enforce expectations for people who are on the fence about whether Sageworks is the right choice for them. I would also like to hear more regular updates on the future plans for the company, as these are always exciting.

Be a CEO

Current Employee - Product Team in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Product Team in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Sageworks full-time

Pros

My favorite thing about Sageworks is that I have an impact on the company. I work in product development and since I have been there I can look back on products that I have designed and helped build and know I legitimately accomplished something. In the product area, it's not uncommon to be given a large product or piece of a product and told to completely "own" it. At Sageworks that means anything from finding experts to help you figure out what it should do, vendors to work with if it's cheaper to buy vs build certain components, hiring interns or full time people to support and gather information for it, focus grouping the product, designing it's user interface, and managing the developers to make sure the product gets out by a set deadline and is bug free. The company pushes incredibly hard which in some cases is a negative but in my case it has helped me achieve things I wouldn't have otherwise. Another pro of Sageworks is the people themselves. In the product area there is a relatively flat structure and because of this when I need to vet an idea I can call a meeting with a group of my peers and get a lot of smart people helping me think through what's going to go wrong with my solution to a problem. These people actually want to help me without dragging their feet or sighing or any type of resistance and it's not something I've seen in other places. The last pro I want to list is that the way the company is run causes very few things to get in the way of me actually doing something. If I need to hire a few people to help with a data project, take a few hours of a developer to automate something manual, change the priorities of the project I'm working on, etc... I don't have to go through meetings and approval. I send an email letting anyone who needs to be aware what I'm doing and move forward with it unless they have a reason to object. This means I'm not bogged down with constantly trying to show people who aren't as close to the action as me what the right decision is.

Cons

A con of Sageworks is the long hours. Especially for new hires to the product team, you can expect to work a lot. I will give them that over time, the hours move towards a normal 50 hour per week job because they understand it's not possible for an employee to do that long term. Another con is that things are constantly changing. You may have a set project or product you are working on and a plan to get X done by Y date and something will come up and you are told you need to work on something else. This can be frustrating sometimes because you can get the feeling that you aren't able to get something all the way done because once it's close you move to something else letting someone finish the rest of the work. My last con is that the office is extremely tight on space. Conference rooms are almost always out of the question and even finding places to have a phone call can be difficult. I heard this is being addressed before the start of 2015 by getting more space so that should resolve this.

you'll be challenged and will learn a ton

Current Employee - Current Employee
    Current Employee - Current Employee

I have been working at Sageworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-You'll get a chance to fully drive projects and initiatives, from inception to completion. -The culture of a tech startup (fast paced, casual dress, high expectations, flat) in an established, fast-growing company. -The people are super interesting: incredibly driven & sharp, but also unique and a little bit offbeat -You always know where you stand. Very little ambiguity and minimal backbiting -Sophisticated technology and products, that actually add value to the consumer -Leadership is trying actively to foster creativity, see: the Innovation Lab. -People here want to win. There's a proven track record of setting super aggressive, borderline unrealistic goals... and then actually hitting those goals. -There are several conduits for employee feedback (much of which is actually implemented)

Cons

As mentioned above, this is a technology company, with an environment that closely resembles a startup. It's a results-driven company, and expectations are high. People take goals seriously. People work very hard. Feedback and communication is very direct. With the right mindset, this can be a great thing, almost like an accelerated MBA program, but it's not a fit for everyone.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, hold onto the core principles

Fast paced, high growth company with great people

Current Employee - Product Development in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Product Development in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Sageworks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My three favorite parts about working at Sageworks are the people (smart, honest, open), the amount I've been able to learn about all facets of the business as a result of the flat organizational structure, and the opportunity to wear many different hats. I have learned more here than I could have at almost any other company in twice as long.

Cons

It's not a con for me but the environment is extremely results-oriented and fast-paced, which isn't for everyone!

Advice to Management

Let's do everything we can to continue to keep all of the great aspects of Sageworks in tact as we continue to expand.

Great company for anyone looking to gain a lot of experience quickly

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Sageworks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I really appreciate the straightforward manner of communication at Sageworks, that I get to interface directly with the people who run the company (there are not layers and layers of middle managers), and that I've been able to bounce around to different roles within the company, which has allowed me to get a lot of experience in different areas.

Cons

Things move quickly, but things get done. This isn't for some people.

Advice to Management

Keep implementing employee suggestions. Little things make a big difference.

RSS Feed </> Embed