Sageworks

Updated December 17, 2014
3.3

Sageworks CEO Scott Ogle
Scott Ogle

Pros
  • Don't be fooled by the veil of casual dress and dog friendly office (in 10 reviews)

• The culture is cool, you get to dress casual and bring your dog to work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • A work-life balance can be difficult to achieve (in 12 reviews)

• It is not a negative for me, but you have to be comfortable to work in a fast paced environment (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great SAAS job with tons of growth potential

Current Employee - Regional Consultant - Valuation Solutions in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Regional Consultant - Valuation Solutions in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Sageworks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Environment very team oriented with a laid back day to day atmosphere. Management really has your back and listens to your ideas and concerns. Sales training is great! Great valuation product with tons of upside.

Cons

New product line meaning you have to role with product changes, but good about keeping you informed. No 401k for 1 year.

Keep listening to your employees. Benefits could be better from day one. Keep pushing innovation and continue the push for stability within the sales team.

No work-life balance. No job security. Most good reviews are fake and were posted around the same time frame.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Sageworks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They offer competitive salary but work hours are really bad from 8am to 8pm.
    Good experience in the field of banking and finance.

Cons

12 hr per day shifts almost throughout the year.
    Be prepared to work every weekend.
    Don't expect any appreciation from management for your hard work.
    Unrealistic goals.
    No chance for growth.

Be considerate to your employees. Have better time-off policies to give some work-life balance instead of treating employees as slaves.

Disappointing Experience and Looking For A New Job

I have been working at Sageworks full-time

Pros

Central location and easy to get to from all areas of the Research Triangle, and close to affordable housing, whether renting or purchasing housing.

Cons

You will find it difficult to know who exactly you are reporting to if you work at Sageworks. The structure of this company is haphazard, disorganized, and unprofessional. There is no dress code, dogs are wandering around the work place, and the offices are cramped and smelly. Essentially, the company is a poser. They want to be "cool," but they have failed miserably in this department. It doesn't make you cool to have a company where people show up looking like buffoons and management treats you like slaves.

Essentially, Sageworks is a boiler room. Cold calling 14 hours a day is a joke in 2014. Do they not know about digital marketing, SEO, internet lead generation, etc.? They are selling a product for small businesses to understand financials and trends, and they are using methods popular in the 1960's to do it. Furthermore, their expectations are unrealistic in a world where potential consumers find their tactics abhorrent. Aggressive selling tactics equivalent to methods not even used by used car salesman or aluminum siding salesmen anymore is the biggest detraction to working for a company like this. And the worst part is that working here doesn't really help your resume when looking for a new job. What do you say to the next interviewer? I was number one in the Sageworks boiler room?

1) Develop a clear understanding of your corporate structure so that employees know who to report to.
    2) Develop a new method of obtaining clients that is commensurate with current marketing technology. Ditch the boiler room. Expand your office space so that people are not on top of each other.
    3) Train your people properly, instead of throwing them to the wolves.
    4) You're not an investment bank, so either pay people for over time or reduce the ridiculous work hours.
    5) Consider the poor morale that develops when people are constantly fired.
    6) Focus on the quality of work performance instead of the quantity.
    7) Keep your word, instead of lying to prospective employees about the nature of the work.
    8) Develop a moral code of ethics within the company that can be a model for corporate governance, instead of the current corporate culture which is sorely lacking in customer service and client development.
    9) Treat female employees with more respect.
    10) Plantations are no longer in vogue, even here in the south, so a slave work environment isn't attractive.

Lies, and misleading expectations/outcomes

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Cary, NC

I have been working at Sageworks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to prove yourself. Compensation used to good, until they changed it last year, then changed it for the worse several times since.

Cons

lots of office politics, backstabbing

Set expectations clearly and follow through. Don't change everything every month. Treat the hardest workers and producers with more respect

Great internship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Sageworks as an intern

Pros

I've had a great internship. My goal was to learn everything I could about planning, starting and running a company.
    What is really important to keep a company going? What makes it successful like this one? I got what I wanted and a ton more---I hope to spend a few more years with them. The challenge is fantastic and energizing.
    The people are smart and challenge each other at a fast pace - I like it. Great people and exposure. I was exposed to a phenomenal amount that I wouldn't get elsewhere.

Cons

It was fun, I learned a ton, and yes--I did have to do a few things that weren't fun every second but come on people--this is a job experience and this was a great one.

Keep the great burgers and salads! On the serious side-- keep the new people working with the real experienced ones.

Amazing place! Brilliant people, interesting projects

Current Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Sageworks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Sageworks allows you to drive change and make a difference.
    -Very intelligent people; this creates a very productive, high energy environment that promotes innovation and creative thinking. It's awesome working with such high caliber teams to maximize success
    -Very metrics-driven culture that values accountability
    -Passionate founder, amazing CEO and managers who really care and listen
    -Free coffee/tea always, and free food at the end of the month and during big code releases is appreciated
    -Teams that help with planning fun events, team building activities, and health & wellness initiatives

Cons

None. It's not a negative for me, but you do have to feel comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.

Keep up the excellent work!

Great Internship

Current Employee - Intern in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Intern in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Sageworks as an intern

Pros

I've been offered a full-time role!!
    It is much more interesting work than other internships I've had.
    People are very nice and willing to help me.
    I've learned a ton and the pay is great--

Cons

I work for a few different people s I wasn't sure who my boss was. It's bigger than the last place I interned so I didn't know everyone's name.

The work is great and I learned a lot but a few more social events early on for the interns would be nice.

Great experience with smart people

Current Employee - Product Development Intern in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Product Development Intern in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Sageworks as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Many of the negative reviews here are from sales side. I am an intern in product development, yet I have had frequent interaction with sales associates and managers. Both divisions of the company expect long hours and diligent work, but both divisions reward outstanding individuals with raises and promotions.

Cons

The casual dress can translate to a lack of professionalism by some employees. At the moment, Sageworks wouldn't be a good fit for someone who wants a regular 9-5 workday.

Put the company on track for planned (rather than out-of-control) growth.

The good has outweighed the bad

Current Employee - Numerous in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Numerous in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Sageworks full-time

Pros

I have worked at Sageworks for several years in numerous positions and in that time I have seen literally hundreds of people come and go. When reading the reviews here, there is a lot of truth in the positive AND the negative reviews. For me, the positives:

Compensation: You do work hard, but you often get out what you put in. To have been in my mid-20s and making over $100k for several years in a row, was and is pretty awesome.

Atmosphere: The ping pong and foosball tables are long gone, but the casual dress (and often mentioned dogs in the office) has still remained. The people, generally, are very open and friendly.

Growth: There is still a ton of growth to be had for the company, and generally speaking, the products are pretty good. There are new products and revenue streams that are still out there, as well.

Fast Paced: You could view this as a positive or a negative, depending on your personality, I suppose, but I appreciate that things tend to happen quickly, and progress is made.

People: I have met some of my best friends here, some who are still at the company, and others who have gone on to further their careers at other places. The people (new hires) seem to be getting smarter, older, more qualified, and have more experience... all positive signs for the future of the company, in my opinion.

Cons

New Hire Training. Training for new hires is severely inadequate. I think that, a lot of times, this is because the management team (at least on the sales side) really has no idea what they are doing. It seems like the management team (and some of the in-fighting) has improved recently, especially with recent departures and new additions.

Product. WAY too much time, effort, and money has/is spent in developing new, unproven products that - let's face it - more often than not, are really not generating any revenue. ProfitCents has gotten a lipstick on a pig makeover, but at its core, is still the same dysfunctional product with all of the same issues and problems. It is still a "nice to have" and very little, to this point, is being done to make it a "need to have." The even more frustrating part is that when you look at the new products that are developed, they always seemingly better, much more professional/nicer looking, and have had more development time/effort than ProfitCents, which still generates ~50% of the revenue for the company! It's almost disheartening to think of what it could be if even half of that development time/effort were spent on bettering ProfitCents than washed down the drain on failed products/pipe dreams.

Work/Life. This has ebbed and flowed over the years. Several years ago, it was terrible. It got better, but recently the hours seem to again be getting longer, and the "face time" more prevalent. Why are females almost never successful in sales in the CPA division? It is not the market - look at Thomson, CCH, QuickBooks, etc. - who ALL have very successful female salespeople. It, hands down, comes down to the nearly impossible work/life balance for anyone who has a family. There are PLENTY of extremely successful companies that have incredible work-life balances, but this does not seem to be in the vocabulary of Brian Hamilton.

Chain of Command. It is sometimes difficult to understand who reports to whom, and who is really calling the shots, at many different levels of the company. Is it Scott Ogle (CEO) or is it Brian Hamilton (Chairman), ultimately? It seems like Scott does not have the power/autonomy that he should in handling the day to day operations of the company, and isn't able to make the necessary changes to take the company to the next stage. As far as middle management is concerned, they have been mostly castrated in terms of being able to make any real changes for the better, and their only purpose for even having a job, honestly, is to report on expected MONTHLY revenue, manage call/meeting numbers, micromanage their teams, and filter the information to/from upper management.

Short Term/Sighted. Monthly goals/revenue are important, yes, but I really think that way too much emphasis is placed on that. So much money is left on the table, in sales and renewals, to make a quick buck now, instead of focusing on the long term goals. Sales team has almost ZERO incentive to bring on "good" customers, develop and maintain relationships, and ensure long-term revenue from their customers. It's all about the here and now.

Office: It's way too cramped, there are nowhere near enough offices or meeting rooms, and the desks, chairs and other furniture would in many cases be better suited for a bonfire. We're told this will be improved in the near future, however... but we shall see.

No 401(k) match. Really?

Focus on training and professional development of employees. No, REALLY focus on this. It seems like we LOSE more good people every year than most similarly sized companies even employ. Why does nearly everyone view Sageworks as a stepping stone, and not a destination?

Product. The CPA product needs a major overhaul. The recent changes were "nice" but they do nothing to address the major shortcomings of the tool.

Listen. I spent some time today reading these reviews, many of which are pretty old. The funny thing is (or, not so funny) a lot of the issues still remain, and not much has been done to address them. I have heard indirectly that management reads these reviews, but doesn't pay much attention to them. I understand that some of the reviews were probably written by bitter ex-employees who were terminated or thought they got a raw deal, but there is a lot of truth in many of the reviews, and sometimes the truth hurts. Don't be an ostrich.

Good for the inexperienced, other than that, AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Sageworks full-time

Pros

The place is pretty laid back, you can dress how ever you like, bring your dog to work, the base pay is pretty good, at least if you are in sales role, (not lead generation). You get the opportunity to work with C-level executives which looks really good when you're ready to move on to your next position, which by the way, you should do within 18 months of being here.

Cons

Before I came to Sageworks I was extremely successful in sales, I had never missed a quota and had even moved into a management role. I came to Sageworks, taking a pay and title cut, on the promise that the growth and financial opportunities were plentiful. Since coming here, all of my confidence has been shot to hell, my sales skills are corroding and my general enjoyment of sales has been dwindling. If you have already put in the grunt work at another entry level position, this is not the job for you. The training at this company may as well be non-existent, and they tell you that the training is very little, but it's even less than you expect; you're literally thrown to the wolves so go ahead and get yourself a finance textbook if you plan to work here. In addition to that, this place is full of guys that aren't actually good sales people. They are one-trick ponies where the only trick is to discount. That's because they don't actually know how to create value and they push you into discounting every potential client until they buy. It has calmed down A LOT since I've been here but expect distracting music, basketballs being thrown around and if you don't make nice with the right people expect to be verbally abused and disrespected. My first month I was attacked for asking good questions, basically the ones that forced my supervisor to actually think about the nonsense he was teaching. The turnover here is also ridiculous, there are a 2-5 departures a month, even from upper management. An associate from another division was actually fired in the middle of the day, from her desk, not even pulled into the office. OVERALL, IF YOU KNOW SALES BASICS, YOU WILL NOT GROW AND YOU'LL BE TREATED LIKE AN INTERN!

Get rid of the overconfident, egotistical low level "leaders" in the company. GET A GOOD SALES TRAINING MANAGER! Chris is awesome, get him a partner or two that have more sales experience as well. The product is great, but salesforce is a MESS and prospecting is a gross waste of time. Finally, don't TALK about "SOUL" and being winners. Only losers talk about how they're going to be winners and how they're going to blow up, winners just do it and shut up. Finally make this place enjoyable in a number of aspects. You can't use the bathroom because at ALL HOURS every stall is full(I've walked across the street to go to the bathroom multiple times). Expecting people to be at work for 11-12 hours a day is insane, if you're going to ask for that, I want to be damn comfortable while I'm here. Television? Ping Pong? Nap pod? Anything? Look around the office, the overcrowded cubicles are baron because no one ACTUALLY wants to be here long enough to get comfortable.

Sageworks Photos