Sageworks

Sageworks Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Sageworks CEO Scott Ogle

Scott Ogle

Pros
  • Don't be fooled by the veil of casual dress and dog friendly office (in 11 reviews)

• You can learn a lot about different areas of the company since success brings flexibility (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • A work-life balance can be difficult to achieve (in 10 reviews)

• It is not a negative for me, but you have to be comfortable to work in a fast paced environment (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

ProfitCents sales. Ment to kill employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosif you dont make 120 calls a day and atleast 1 qualified sign up (very difficult, lots of rejection) you will be fired.

Cons120+ daily call quota mandatory or your fired. Cold calling businesses for Sign-ups. Very stressful, I don't recommend this job for anyone unless you are alteady a very experienced sales person. Cold call prospecting is tough. You receive constant rejection all day everyday for $1600 a month after taxs. Required to work 60 hour work days or fired. No free snacks or drinks, just bad coffee and old technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade amenities, if you expect 60 hour work weeks, make the place comfortable, nothing in the office has changed since 1990. Chairs are broken, place is nasty.

Not worth your precious skills or time...

Territory Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsCo-Workers, book club on Wednesdays.

ConsThe Sales Director has no clue what he is doing and is simply not qualified. Harassment goes on there and zero leadership. If you want to work 12 hours per day you have found your dream job. It's a sinking ship.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach your managers how to interview. They broke a few laws during mine.

Fast Paced and Aggressive Company

Business Development (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Smart people
    - Genuinely good people
    - Lots of energy
    - High Growth Company
    - Interesting products and a big market opportunity

Cons- Micro-management
    - No tolerance for not hitting goals

Advice to Senior Management- Promote from within and make Sageworks a place to have a career

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place if you are willing to work hard and learn

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsCulture teaches real value points that matter in business. If you put in your time and effort, you are rewarded. You can learn a lot about different areas of the company since success brings flexibility. It isn't a big corporate company, so suggestions get implemented and are welcomed.

ConsHours can be long, but that is expected in a growing company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep teaching culture and values to leaders so it flows to everyone.

Stay Away If You Have Any Respect For Yourself or Your Career

Doesn't Matter (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsThe only positive thing that I can honestly say I got out of working here is that I now know how to avoid companies like this.

Don't pay any mind to the 4-5 star reviews this company received. There is no way those are real.

Cons- Their so-called "culture". They randomly pick a new-hire straight out of college with no relevant education or experience to boss highly experienced workers around. The purpose of this is to cause tension in the workplace and lower the confidence of everyone involved. They hire people from prestigious universities and companies, because they have a chip on their shoulder and want to take it out on successful people.

- The pay is substandard. In order to get away with it, they give you stock options and call everyone "owners". They don't tell you the stock options are completely worthless because they have no intention of ever having a liquidity event.

- They make you work around 80 per week, weekends and holidays, even though they don't have anything of substance for you to work on. They don't let you take vacation, and if you try to take "one off" days during the week, forget about it. Their employee retention strategy is to imprison their employees at the office 24/7, so they cannot network or interview outside of the company.

- They pretend like they are making money hand over fist and never share information about the company's finances with its employees. They may be making sales, but the salaries for the bloated staff must be off the charts, plus they are hiring at an alarming rate for no reason. They have an office and a company apartment in New York City for no reason what so ever other than so some employees can feel like big shots and travel to the big city. I don't even want to know how much money is being wasted there.

- They will make promises and say anything to get you to accept their offer. My advice is to get literally everything in writing that they agree to, otherwise they will renege. Also, make sure someone with authority signs it. At Sageworks, only one person has authority; he calls himself "Chairman", but he micromanages to an extent I haven't even seen a low-level manager do in my career.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have much advice to offer, but it wouldn't make a difference. They would never listen.

Definitely not a professional atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsThe only true positive I can say is casual dress.

ConsLong hours (60+ a week), Inappropriate comments made in a working atmosphere, still the good 'ol boys club mentality, high turnover, lack of training, pay was good but not worth the hours, very high turnover (my first month there, 5 people left)

Yes, you can bring your dog to work but the mentality is so you stay at work and don't have to go home and let the dog out.

Expect to get hit by some flying object - basketball, football, etc... There is no respect for those who are on calls with clients. There is constantly some distraction whether it be music playing or a basketball flying by.

I have worked in the tech/banking industry for many years. I was floored at the atmosphere. It is expected that you live, eat and breath Sageworks. Don't expect to have a family or social life outside of work unless you are in Senior Management.

Also, years in the industry mean nothing to this company. They will treat you like you don't have a clue (at least my immediate manager did). If you are in your mid 20's, this is a great stepping stone for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeparate the sales team from the support/tech team. Quit overworking employees especially kids fresh out of college that don't know any better. Focus on quality versus quantity. Train your employees instead of just throwing them to the wolves. Completely separate support from developing/testing. Work on retaining employees instead of over working them and having them leave within 6 months to a year.

You have a great product and brilliant programmers/developers. Unfortunately, the working atmosphere leaves a lot to be desired.

Scott Ogle (CEO) is a super nice guy and is working hard to improve the company. I'm just not sure he has the backing needed to make the necessary changes.

Stepping Stone, Not Long Term

Director, Financial Markets (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsGreat product. Nice people. Casual dress. Bring your dog.

ConsTelemarketing philosophy. Sales people only work on initial sale, no retention effort, no relationship building. No real pricing model. Product is great, but grossly overpriced with no reasoned approach to justification for discounting. Pricing is confusing to the client. Senior Management does not care about marketing cycle. Client only has exposure to sales person until sale is closed, after that just a toll-free number. Brutal numbers game for sales people. No professionalism, strap on the headphones and dial for dollars.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow sales people to build relationships and get credit for retention. Allow time for marketing cycle before applying pressure. Recognize quality as well as quantity for phone calls. Anybody can dial a bunch of numbers.

Great place to work

Software Developer (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsFlat structure, meritocracy, strong sense of ownership of one's own success. Provided a very good learning / development opportunity. Great culture of openness. Management is hard-working and is good at showing appreciation.

ConsA lot of Carolina grads in the office - must be a fan of college sports. Inside sales roles require a high volume of calls, might not be for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Slaughterhouse of the industry, but I still gained tons of sales experience in a short amount of time

Territory Sales Representative (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsStandard Sales cycle from cold call to close
    - Industry is very easy to learn
    - Their products (what you are selling) are revolutionary
    - Learn how to sell and be effective very quickly
    - Businesses love ex-Sageworks employees, great job to have out of College!!

ConsHiring process
    - No leeway given for not hitting goals on a monthly basis
    - Get thrown in the fire with high expectations almost immediately
    - up to 120 cold calls per day, very violent sales process, be prepared for a high percentage of rejection
    - Sales cycle ends at close, no repeat business for salesmen, goals are monthly

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people time to develop, and be more transparent in your processes

Worst Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsCan bring your dog
    Travel in some positions
    Great pay

ConsNo work-life balance
    Long hours
    Focus is on work, not how employees are treated
    Must be "on" all the time - checking email after hours and on weekends
    Sometimes weekend work is required (testing)

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with your employees in a positive manner. Management did not communicate with me and when they did, it was very negative and aggressive instead of a nurturing environment. Also, what employees get paid does not make up for treating us poorly. Work on your management skills or get out of the management position.

Worked for Sageworks? Contribute to the Community!