Sageworks Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014

3.6

Sageworks CEO Scott Ogle
Scott Ogle

Pros
  • Don't be fooled by the veil of casual dress and dog friendly office (in 11 reviews)

• You can learn a lot about different areas of the company since success brings flexibility (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • A work-life balance can be difficult to achieve (in 10 reviews)

• It is not a negative for me, but you have to be comfortable to work in a fast paced environment (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Close to great

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Sageworks full-time

Pros

Casual dress, freedom to make decisions and perform without being micro managed.

Cons

Work-life balance and office culture

Get better facilities, stop stacking people 3 to an office or in crappy cubes with broken chairs and no meeting space. Separate the CPA and bank divisions, get better equipment, more perks. For example, if you expect people to be in the office 60 hours a week something like a coffee/beverage bar, with snacks & healthy snack options would be a great perk. Do a better job of defining roles, have a vision of the future of the company beyond "what's coming in this month?" and articulate that to the employees and instill the same vision in them...and tie them to the reward of achieving that vision through profit sharing or 401k matching, something that drives them to push towards the same goal. Stop chasing the next big thing new product at the expense of improving your proven products. The new thing is nice and can hit big and should always be on the radar, but the proven products pay the bills.....and they need work.

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE...

I have been working at Sageworks full-time

Pros

Don't be fooled by the veil of casual dress and dog friendly office. Usually, this might seem like a hip, west coast kind of vibe. However, Sageworks is an extremely sloppy and unprofessional environment. They seem to mainly hire people directly out of college, who may not have other professional work experience as a reference point.

This unprofessionalism trickles down to inter-personal communication, where people are rude, offensive, and generally unpleasant.

Cons

- The founder Brian Hamilton is a loose cannon. He his known to throw temper tantrums and cuss out his team. The product team reports directly to him. In other words, take your talents to elsewhere.
    - The office is falling apart. Chairs are from the 1980s and are decrepit and dirty.
    - Product team is really glorified Quality Assurance testers. Product Managers are evaluated based on "daily bug goals." Yes, you heard correctly...
    - Company culture lacks general respect and professionalism
    - During interviews they will ask you whether you are comfortable with "direct feedback" and/or "peer review"... this is a euphemism for are you ok with being cussed at, yelled at, and insulted. This is not "Frat House" speak, it is more like "Abusive Husband" speak. People at the company have been desensitized to this and accept it or think it's normal or something. It is kind of sad.
    - No office camaraderie. Tension smothers the office air like a suffocating blanket.

Leadership is really poor (as stated above) and needs to be improved.

Territory Rep

I worked at Sageworks

Pros

Sales department is a fun and entertaining place to start.

Cons

Sometimes too fun of a place to work

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dynamic , challenging, great energy and moving forward

I have been working at Sageworks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great energy, smart people, immediate impact of my work. Things happen- it doesn't take 5 layers of approval for change, decisions, and contributions.
    Fast pace, focused environment, the place seems to buzz.. I like working independently but also with good people who are focused and get things done.
    Being part of a successful, fast, smart, challenging company where doing your job well is respected.

Cons

Definitely not a place for someone who has to be home at 5:30 but time seems to fly by with the focused projects. Not a place if you like routine and easier work.

Keep up the added trainings which have been helpful!

Great experience with a great company

I worked at Sageworks

Pros

The people are amazing- I have never seen a more driven group of employees than I saw at Sageworks. The pay was outstanding, as were the bonuses. The company is growing by leaps and bounds and it will be really interesting to see where it goes in the future.

Cons

If you are not a "type-A" person, Sageworks really is not for you. It is extremely "metrics" oriented, and there is no excuse for not meeting your goals. No work-life balance.

Keep doing what you're doing, it's obviously working.

Sageworks is a fast-growing, profitable, and unique company!

I have been working at Sageworks

Pros

You work with A-players who want to be successful and give 110%. As an employee, you can make a direct impact within the company from day one regardless of your professional experience or job title. You also have the opportunity to learn and work closely with senior management on various projects. White boarding out new product specs and marketing initiatives with the company Founder is pretty awesome. I’ve seen several examples of employees being promoted into leadership roles based on their exceptional work performance.

Cons

Sageworks would not be a good fit for someone who prefers a 9 – 5 corporate office environment or prefers to work remote/telecommute. It’s a metrics driven workplace. If you’re uncomfortable being held accountable for goals, being challenged, and don’t like receiving peer review this company would not be the best choice for you.

Encourage employees to attend professional development events and seminars a couple of times per year.

A tremendous working and learning experience

Current Employee - Various  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Various in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Sageworks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best thing about this company is the people. You will not find so many smart, hard-working, and genuinely good people at many other companies. Employees are given a chance to prove themselves and rewarded for their success. You will be given a high level of responsibility in most all roles at Sageworks; for some people it proves to be too much responsibility, but those who enjoy working at Sageworks are motivated by the fact that their work makes a real difference. I love the high-energy, casual-dress office environment. From day one, I have been both acceptable and challenged. Employess at Sageworks are not pigeon-holed to a position; I've had the opportunity to work in several very different roles and this is not uncommon. It's hard to put into words how much I have learned in three years at Sageworks.

Cons

Make no mistake, this is not a 9-5 job - an average day is 10-11 hours for most roles. A work-life balance can be difficult to achieve. In my experience, I've always had well-defined goals and know what my responsibilities are, but I hardly ever know "where I stand" in regards to how myself and my work are viewed by management.

More transparency and open communication. Inform employees of changes before they happen

Sageworks has helped me become a better person

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Sageworks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Sageworks has helped me realize that if I want to be successful, if I want to earn a lot of money, if I want to be a leader, then I have to work really hard, I have to be completely dedicated, and I have to be willing to go above and beyond the call of duty. I believe these are invaluable lessons that I will carry with me for the rest of my life.

Cons

The greatest challenge at Sageworks is that not everybody wants to or is prepared to personally invest what it takes to be successful. Those people make it even tougher to do your job.

My advice to upper management would be to help all employees and prospective employees understand that whether at Sageworks or anyplace else, great sacrifice is required to achieve great reward.

ProfitCents sales. Ment to kill employees

I worked at Sageworks

Pros

if you dont make 120 calls a day and atleast 1 qualified sign up (very difficult, lots of rejection) you will be fired.

Cons

120+ daily call quota mandatory or your fired. Cold calling businesses for Sign-ups. Very stressful, I don't recommend this job for anyone unless you are alteady a very experienced sales person. Cold call prospecting is tough. You receive constant rejection all day everyday for $1600 a month after taxs. Required to work 60 hour work days or fired. No free snacks or drinks, just bad coffee and old technology.

Upgrade amenities, if you expect 60 hour work weeks, make the place comfortable, nothing in the office has changed since 1990. Chairs are broken, place is nasty.

Not worth your precious skills or time...

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative

I worked at Sageworks full-time

Pros

Co-Workers, book club on Wednesdays.

Cons

The Sales Director has no clue what he is doing and is simply not qualified. Harassment goes on there and zero leadership. If you want to work 12 hours per day you have found your dream job. It's a sinking ship.

Teach your managers how to interview. They broke a few laws during mine.

Worked for Sageworks? Contribute to the Community!