Saginaw Valley State University

3.5

CEO

Student employee

I worked at Saginaw Valley State University as an intern

Pros

Good student job, easy. Flexible

Cons

Did not learn very much

Great benefits and flexible hours.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in University Center, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in University Center, MI

I have been working at Saginaw Valley State University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are excellent and the option to change your work schedule is great. As an AP staff, you get 15 hours of vacation a month! Can't beat the 12% the university pays towards your retirement account.

Cons

Pay is a little low compared to the private sector, especially if your working in the IT department. Don't expect to make anywhere close to what you could get at a private company locally. But, I expect that is because the benefits are so good.

Increase the salary of your employees, as this would keep retention rates higher.

Great people and benefits, LOW pay

I worked at Saginaw Valley State University full-time

Pros

The people at SVSU are some of the most loyal and dedicated people I have ever been around. Family like atmosphere. The majority of people work extremely hard while being paid way below what they are worth. Health, dental and other benefits are great along with vacation time.

Cons

It's the good ol' boys network. High administrative executives have all been there for 20+ years and there is very little thinking outside of the box. LOW PAY ACROSS THE BOARD. The school invests its money in buildings, not people. With all of the growth SVSU has experienced, very few positions have been added.

Pay people what they are worth. Also, this means stepping up to the plate and "getting rid of" those who don't hold up their end of the deal. There are too many people that work for FAR less then they are worth, and a lot of people that either don't work or aren't effective at their position. Instead of letting those who don't do their job or don't do it well stay around forever, step up to the plate and replace them. That's the only way SVSU will be able to change. This will show others that SVSU means business and productivity will increase across the board.

ughhhh

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty

I worked at Saginaw Valley State University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

lots of parking and free printing

Cons

most of the students are awful - rude and scary even. just pass everyone or YOU will get in trouble.

Disorganized, treated poorly by management and faculty

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saginaw, MI
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saginaw, MI

I worked at Saginaw Valley State University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Parties, gym membership, nice looking college, good benefits.

Cons

Low salary, zero orientation from HR or anyone about mandatory forms/vacation and sick time, and zero orientation to my position as management weren't organized enough to allow time to orient me. You wouldn't believe the way faculty and managers talk to secretaries or assistants. I've never seen behavior like this tolerated by upper management before. I was embarrassed to have my family/friends see me at work due to the way I was treated :( It was like a nightmare going there every day. I brought up my concerns to my supervisor several times and was told 'that's just how it is with phd faculty'.

Tenured faculty = give up trying to be a good educator with no repercussions (for some, not all). Faculty should not have the final say on policy they are not experts in just because they are tenured faculty. Treat staff nicely who do not have advanced degrees, not as faculty's slaves. Stand up to those who are ruining your college by chasing away students with bad reputations! There are young, educated people who could do so much more if you gave them the chance. Don't let the horrible tenured faculty who don't come to class or office hours the majority of the time continue taking down your programs.

Great people, Great experience.

Former Employee - Student Graphic Designer in University Center, MI
    Former Employee - Student Graphic Designer in University Center, MI

I worked at Saginaw Valley State University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The SVSU network is tight-knit, but also large. Networking is a huge plus here. I started as a student graphic designer for the University Communications department, and remained there for the length of my college education. The knowledge and experience I gained from my superiors was priceless. My supervisor but me in contact with a company here in Saginaw, and I graduated from SVSU with a job.

Cons

None come to mind at the moment.

Organizational culture

I worked at Saginaw Valley State University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Support from management; pleasant office culture; flexibility

Cons

room for growth and development

Nice campus, awful management

I have been working at Saginaw Valley State University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My co-workers are great. My immediate boss tries to buffer upper management. The campus is nice, the students are great.

Cons

Upper Management in IT only looks out for themselves. They want to look good. There is no commitment to the employee. There is a constant push to work 24-7, and of course, no recognition or recompense accept for a lame email once and a while. Family time is not important, You can not even bring up a discussion about work-life balance without getting the lecture that we are not hourly employees and the job is not over at 5.

Focus more on the employee. That high profile project that you got a lot of praise for, took a ton of time and work behind the scenes. Recognize that your employees are working hard. Without real (monetary) rewards, and a family friendly work environment, you are going to loose all your good staff and you will not be able to get those projects done.

Great atmosphere to work in!

I worked at Saginaw Valley State University full-time

Pros

Employees feel valued and appreciated!

Cons

No bonus program and other limitations associated with a government, non-profit organization.

Continue to appreciate your hard working employees.

Too many egos.

I have been working at Saginaw Valley State University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Looks good on a resume.

Cons

Everyone is out for themselves, collecting titles, passing responsibility.
    Foresight isn't their specialty here. . .

Retire, let someone update the University.
    Headlines don't help students in the classroom.

Saginaw Valley State University Photos

Students walking down the hallway in the communications building

+ Add Photo