Saginaw Valley State University Reviews

Reset
3.6
CEO

1. Endowed Chair

I have been working at Saginaw Valley State University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For the person employed by SVSU it is a great place to grow, opportunity

Cons

The institution, fearful of enrollment challenges, has difficulty seeing it's own opportunities to grow.

Advice to Management

It is more than just the "Cheapest" state university in Michigan. Become the greatest value regardless of cost.

2. Great benefits, loyal employees.

I have been working at Saginaw Valley State University full-time

Pros

The benefits have always been good. Although Obamacare has increased our cost for health insurance just like other businesses. Secure employment as they rarely let employees go.

Cons

Increased benefit costs, low salary pay, no career advancement opportunities. Low yearly "cost of living" increases of 1-2.5%.

Advice to Management

Increase your employees wages and pay a bonus for achievements.

3. Adjunct Faculty

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in University Center, MI
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in University Center, MI

I worked at Saginaw Valley State University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice place to teach. I taught online classes and the full-time faculty were very supportive when a class I taught needed updating. They helped in get and keep me ontrack in its redesign. The students there make it enjoyable.

Cons

Adjunct pay and benefits could be improved but it is pretty much the same everywhere if you work as an adjunct. You work on a semester by semester basis and if student enrollment drops in your area full-time faculty may teach the course instead.

Advice to Management

Nothing to really to add here.

5. Student employee

I have been working at Saginaw Valley State University

Pros

SVSU has a great environment. Everyone is very friendly and helpful! It is a great place to work as a student because they are very understanding of your class schedule.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about my time here!

6. Very top heavy

I worked at Saginaw Valley State University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are very willing to give on-the-job and instructor led training for the job positions. The people at the non-management level and first level management are great to work with. Lots of talent that is soon to be leaving the facility if things don't improve.

Cons

They have too many layers of Upper Management. There have been constant job postings that result in no applicants and/or no qualified applicants due to hilariously low salaries. They also refuse to evaluate/adjust salaries to solve the mass exodus that is occurring in the technical departments.

Advice to Management

You need to pay people like you want them to actually work for you.

7. Great benefits and flexible hours.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in University Center, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in University Center, MI

I have been working at Saginaw Valley State University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are excellent and the option to change your work schedule is great. As an AP staff, you get 15 hours of vacation a month! Can't beat the 12% the university pays towards your retirement account.

Cons

Pay is a little low compared to the private sector, especially if your working in the IT department. Don't expect to make anywhere close to what you could get at a private company locally. But, I expect that is because the benefits are so good.

Advice to Management

Increase the salary of your employees, as this would keep retention rates higher.

8. Great people and benefits, LOW pay

I worked at Saginaw Valley State University full-time

Pros

The people at SVSU are some of the most loyal and dedicated people I have ever been around. Family like atmosphere. The majority of people work extremely hard while being paid way below what they are worth. Health, dental and other benefits are great along with vacation time.

Cons

It's the good ol' boys network. High administrative executives have all been there for 20+ years and there is very little thinking outside of the box. LOW PAY ACROSS THE BOARD. The school invests its money in buildings, not people. With all of the growth SVSU has experienced, very few positions have been added.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they are worth. Also, this means stepping up to the plate and "getting rid of" those who don't hold up their end of the deal. There are too many people that work for FAR less then they are worth, and a lot of people that either don't work or aren't effective at their position. Instead of letting those who don't do their job or don't do it well stay around forever, step up to the plate and replace them. That's the only way SVSU will be able to change. This will show others that SVSU means business and productivity will increase across the board.

9. ughhhh

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty

I worked at Saginaw Valley State University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

lots of parking and free printing

Cons

most of the students are awful - rude and scary even. just pass everyone or YOU will get in trouble.

10. Disorganized, treated poorly by management and faculty

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saginaw, MI
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saginaw, MI

I worked at Saginaw Valley State University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Parties, gym membership, nice looking college, good benefits.

Cons

Low salary, zero orientation from HR or anyone about mandatory forms/vacation and sick time, and zero orientation to my position as management weren't organized enough to allow time to orient me. You wouldn't believe the way faculty and managers talk to secretaries or assistants. I've never seen behavior like this tolerated by upper management before. I was embarrassed to have my family/friends see me at work due to the way I was treated :( It was like a nightmare going there every day. I brought up my concerns to my supervisor several times and was told 'that's just how it is with phd faculty'.

Advice to Management

Tenured faculty = give up trying to be a good educator with no repercussions (for some, not all). Faculty should not have the final say on policy they are not experts in just because they are tenured faculty. Treat staff nicely who do not have advanced degrees, not as faculty's slaves. Stand up to those who are ruining your college by chasing away students with bad reputations! There are young, educated people who could do so much more if you gave them the chance. Don't let the horrible tenured faculty who don't come to class or office hours the majority of the time continue taking down your programs.

11. Great people, Great experience.

Former Employee - Student Graphic Designer in University Center, MI
    Former Employee - Student Graphic Designer in University Center, MI

I worked at Saginaw Valley State University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The SVSU network is tight-knit, but also large. Networking is a huge plus here. I started as a student graphic designer for the University Communications department, and remained there for the length of my college education. The knowledge and experience I gained from my superiors was priceless. My supervisor but me in contact with a company here in Saginaw, and I graduated from SVSU with a job.

Cons

None come to mind at the moment.

RSS Feed </> Embed