Saginaw Valley State University

Saginaw Valley State University Reviews in University Center, MI

3.5

CEO

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people, Great experience.

Former Employee - Student Graphic Designer  in  University Center, MI
    Former Employee - Student Graphic Designer in University Center, MI

I worked at Saginaw Valley State University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The SVSU network is tight-knit, but also large. Networking is a huge plus here. I started as a student graphic designer for the University Communications department, and remained there for the length of my college education. The knowledge and experience I gained from my superiors was priceless. My supervisor but me in contact with a company here in Saginaw, and I graduated from SVSU with a job.

Cons

None come to mind at the moment.

Overall, it's a good place to work

Current Employee - Librarian  in  University Center, MI
    Current Employee - Librarian in University Center, MI

I have been working at Saginaw Valley State University full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Small--everyone knows you. They give entry level people a chance to succeed. They rarely post ridiculous qualifications for entry level jobs. What is lacking in salaries is made up in benefits which are generally better than other places of the same size.

Cons

They like to hire within and will shift people around to fill a spot. Sometimes, it is good to look outside SVSU and hire people with unique experiences, especially for management or mid-management positions. In my particular department, there is little room for growth--I'd need to go outside of my area, if something opened up that I was qualified to do.

See "cons."

Great Benefits!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  University Center, MI
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in University Center, MI

I worked at Saginaw Valley State University part-time for more than a year

Pros

I always found them to be fair, with a good work environment. They offer great benefits and time off. Good work/life balance.

Cons

There were a lot of office politics. You always have to remember the pecking order.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at Saginaw Valley has been a great way to get real-world experience while attending school.

Current Employee - Classroom Support  in  University Center, MI
    Current Employee - Classroom Support in University Center, MI

I have been working at Saginaw Valley State University part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Flexibility with Schedule
    - Great Experience

Cons

-none that I can think of

The people and benefits are great.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  University Center, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in University Center, MI

I have been working at Saginaw Valley State University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I can't stress enough how great the people are. The work environment is more laid back than the private sector. The benefits are great. Time off is hardly ever denied and there is plenty of it. Tuition benefits, medical, dental, etc are awesome as well as work schedule flexibility. In ITS, there are opportunities for training every year.

Cons

One of the biggest down sides for working here is the lack of professional development, recognition, and incentive. I was told coming in there was no room for advancement and it was true. The salary could be better.

Give your very talented professionals a chance to grow. There are a lot of them.

Not as good as I would have hoped!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  University Center, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in University Center, MI

I have been working at Saginaw Valley State University

Pros

It is a beautiful campus and the people, for the most part, are good people. The campus has a lot of potential.

Cons

The potential for growth is great but the commitment is not there. There are obstacles to becoming the best and apathy in the administration is overwhelming the university. They talk of being great but are not committed to being the best.

My experience is in athletics. SVSU speaks of being better than Grand Valley but SVSU doesn't even come close to being like Grand Valley. The lack of support in leadership positions is overwhelming. The lack of support financially is also overwhelming. Instead of fighting to beat opponents the fight is with budgeting, salaries, materials, administration and more.

Worked for Saginaw Valley State University? Contribute to the Community!