Saginaw Valley State University

www.svsu.edu

Saginaw Valley State University Reviews in University Center, MI

Updated Mar 6, 2014
Saginaw Valley State University – University Center – “Students walking down the hallway in the…”

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people, Great experience.

Student Graphic Designer (Former Employee) University Center, MI

ProsThe SVSU network is tight-knit, but also large. Networking is a huge plus here. I started as a student graphic designer for the University Communications department, and remained there for the length of my college education. The knowledge and experience I gained from my superiors was priceless. My supervisor but me in contact with a company here in Saginaw, and I graduated from SVSU with a job.

ConsNone come to mind at the moment.

Overall, it's a good place to work

Librarian (Current Employee) University Center, MI

ProsSmall--everyone knows you. They give entry level people a chance to succeed. They rarely post ridiculous qualifications for entry level jobs. What is lacking in salaries is made up in benefits which are generally better than other places of the same size.

ConsThey like to hire within and will shift people around to fill a spot. Sometimes, it is good to look outside SVSU and hire people with unique experiences, especially for management or mid-management positions. In my particular department, there is little room for growth--I'd need to go outside of my area, if something opened up that I was qualified to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee "cons."

Great Benefits!

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) University Center, MI

ProsI always found them to be fair, with a good work environment. They offer great benefits and time off. Good work/life balance.

ConsThere were a lot of office politics. You always have to remember the pecking order.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at Saginaw Valley has been a great way to get real-world experience while attending school.

Classroom Support (Current Employee) University Center, MI

Pros-Flexibility with Schedule
    - Great Experience

Cons-none that I can think of

The people and benefits are great.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) University Center, MI

ProsI can't stress enough how great the people are. The work environment is more laid back than the private sector. The benefits are great. Time off is hardly ever denied and there is plenty of it. Tuition benefits, medical, dental, etc are awesome as well as work schedule flexibility. In ITS, there are opportunities for training every year.

ConsOne of the biggest down sides for working here is the lack of professional development, recognition, and incentive. I was told coming in there was no room for advancement and it was true. The salary could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your very talented professionals a chance to grow. There are a lot of them.

Not as good as I would have hoped!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) University Center, MI

ProsIt is a beautiful campus and the people, for the most part, are good people. The campus has a lot of potential.

ConsThe potential for growth is great but the commitment is not there. There are obstacles to becoming the best and apathy in the administration is overwhelming the university. They talk of being great but are not committed to being the best.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy experience is in athletics. SVSU speaks of being better than Grand Valley but SVSU doesn't even come close to being like Grand Valley. The lack of support in leadership positions is overwhelming. The lack of support financially is also overwhelming. Instead of fighting to beat opponents the fight is with budgeting, salaries, materials, administration and more.

Worked for Saginaw Valley State University? Contribute to the Community!