Sailthru

Sailthru Reviews

Updated Jun 5, 2014

Sailthru CEO & Co-Founder Neil Capel

Neil Capel

New to Sailthru and already growing.

(Current Employee)

ProsSailthru has been an amazing place to jump in and start contributing. It's not a political and competitive environment as everyone here is focused on working together to produce results, rather than just working to stand out (or stay hidden). People actively share knowledge and work to make the office a fun, engaging and team-oriented environment. Cross-functional work isn't just an internal comms buzzword, it's something that actually happens naturally day after day, which both allows everyone to see challenges from a new perspective and to share their own perspective on topics/areas where they might not traditionally be invited to do so. It's a wonderful place to work!

ConsProcesses are actively being defined and tested. It's empowering to be a part of the process of process, but not everyone is always comfortable with this.

High growth, transparent, fun workplace.

Pros- High growth company with huge market potential
    - Transparent and open leadership
    - Great colleagues and fun atmosphere
    - Plenty of opportunities for highly motivated people

Cons- Loud office can sometimes be a distraction
    - Growing pains (things can feel disorganized)
    - Turnover as people who were right for certain jobs at 50 employees aren't at 150

Advice to Senior Management- Don't be afraid of taking decisive action and making bold moves
    - Figure out a way to add more process to scale gracefully without impinging on autonomy

Very professional yet Casual environment!

Quality Assurance Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe best reason are your co-workers from CEO to cleaning staff. Everybody is very warm and welcoming. Young enthusiastic people working together to build something up and have every idea what they are doing. Very casual and warm environment yet everyone is really professional. Everyone sits in the same open environment and works including the CEO!!! There are no barriers between anyone.

ConsSince there are no barriers, you might wonder if this system will remain so when the size of the company grows. One more thing that irritated me a bit was sitting in the open environment might disturb you from time to time. It tends to get a bit noisy! But hey, if you are someone who likes to work with your headphones on!, it might not bother you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the spirit!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

extremely bright employees who will go above and beyond to drive success

ProsCompany preaches a results-only work environment (no facetime so long as work is done) and actually MEANS it; employees are insanely passionate about what they do and very committed to their roles - it is not unusual to see employees from across the business units volunteer to do side projects during late nights/weekends; there are no jerks - company is chock full of thoughtful, smart colleagues who genuinely care about one another and will do whatever they can to make sure the company succeeds; there is an exceptional focus on cross-functional collaboration and it feels very natural; there are huge opportunities to pursue side projects/gain exposure to other parts of the business; awesome culture - the standard free snacks/booze thing but also regular social outings, company book club, weekly fitness bootcamp, massages, etc.

ConsDespite the company's growth, many employees are still "wearing many hats," meaning people can be spread very, very thin at times; everyone is happy to do it, but it takes a toll on people over time. Decision-making can feel a little bit slow at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is highly unusual to have 160 people who are this committed to something and will do everything in their power to drive success. I think it will be important to respond to that eagerness with a heightened sense of urgency - employees want to move faster, which is a great thing!

Smart People, Awesome Perks, Every Day is a New Challenge

ProsSmart People:
    People here are articulate, intelligent, and mostly down to earth. You get a natural mix of personality types, some awesome, some difficult, but for the most part everyone here is a smart person with something to bring to the table. You may not like everyone, but you can learn something from them.

Awesome Perks:
    There are tons of great perks: a beer fridge + bar, snacks in the kitchen, catered lunches, a game room, good health benefits, fun off-site events, beautiful SoHo office (complete with hammock), a view that is hard to beat, unlimited time off, etc. But, the perk I find most indicative of the unique culture Sailthru has to offer is the Personal Growth Program. Each employee is given a stipend towards classes/courses/activities they want to do outside of work that can be (and most often are) totally unrelated to their actual work function. Want to try fencing? Go for it. Want to learn clowning? Cool! I've never had this at any other company I've worked for, and it's an incredible statement on the part of the company in acknowledgment of their employees being whole people, not just titles/functions.

Every Day is a New Challenge:
    The challenge here is scalability. The challenges you face today aren't going to be the challenges you face tomorrow, next quarter, and definitely not next year. It's a unique experience to grow/evolve in your own role in tandem with the company as a whole. You're rarely, if ever, bored.

ConsThey don't have an established career ladder. That being said, it is actually one of their objectives this year, so that will change. Lot's of new processes being put in place.

The culture of "speaking up" sometimes leads to intermittent animosity. I would like to see a little more compassion and compromise during the times people are approaching topics with totally conflicting views.

The growing pains that come with any scaling business. It's hard to really blame the company for this though. Not sure anyone has figured out how to grow a business pain free.

Not a lot of upward mobility or training.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to see more training/development and investment in employees career growth so there can be more promotions from within. I learn a ton of new things working in my own role, and I even take on a lot of responsibilities outside of that defined function, but that isn't rewarded with opportunity. Often feel like there is a barrier, even after expressing a lot of passion and interest in moving up.

Amazing place to work.

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWonderful people and exciting projects to work on!

ConsI have no cons to report!

Most Amazing Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe best company I've ever had the pleasure of walking into. Everyone is warm and welcoming, there's flex hours and great work/life balance. Weekly lunches and happy hours. Annual trips (which are a blast) and weekly (optional) outings like trivia night. It is a place that gives you enough freedom to achieve what you need to however you need to, but with enough structure that no one is lost or going in circles. The bimonthly all hands meetings ensure that everyone is heard, and there are no cubicles, which leads to more communication / friendship amongst employees

Consnot much really... perhaps it could be more organized, but I feel that this is just growing pains of a dynamic, rapidly growing company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Good product, but a dysfunctional company. Will be acquired for the logic/formula only.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI can list the pros. However, the cons will triumph it. Nonetheless:

-Weekly lunch.
    -If you are follower (take directions, do your daily checklist) this is the place for you.

ConsIncompetent department managers: Every major department (client success to marketing) lacks a real leader. The individuals in place now, are tenured kids. They have been with the company since the beginning, the CEO (Neil) is buddy, buddy with them, so he does not want to see his friends go. In terms of managing others, simply put, they suck. If you are more ambitious he/she, you are pretty much bound to get fired (which you will notice immediately...every few months the bubble pops....and a slew of high profile individuals are mysteriously "no longer at Sailthru"). Try asking the CEO why he let someone, who he most likely has never talked to more than 5 minutes was "fired", when he sends those emails.

Insecurity: Related to the first point. If your manager sees a bit of ambition, he/she will make it very difficult for you. The only brain that should be working is your managers, that is it. Any more questions, and you are "blacklisted" for STers - that is unknown word. Go figure.

People: I like people. I hate fakers. There are some real good fakers here. 10 am, they are pretty nice to you, by 6 pm, you could be #1 on their post-6pm-gossip-channel. It is pretty obvious, and everyone knows who the people are. You have the bakers, cheerleaders and hollywood-wannabe-hot-shots here too.

Lack of direction: Still hearing "email service provider". But denying it. It reminds me of someone who is in jail but fails to accept they are indeed in jail. My favorite? Is watching those with the most "email" background just mysteriously disappear or are "let go". Even some of the employees are in denial of what the represent. Go figure, their manager most likely shares similar views.

Results Only Work Environment: This is a great benefit but should not be listed as a pro. If you want to be a office body and just bake cookies and be a cheerleader all day. Sure, ROWE does not apply to you because your office is your life. However if you have a life, thus a balance between work and life duties is important, this "perk" will backfire because most of the STers do not understand this since all they do is come to the office and share body heat and pass work onto others...(my next point).

Knowledge: No one really understands email. But a VP will make a whole 30 power-point presentation on data. Don't get me wrong, I am pretty sure some of the data is important. But its like the big bang theory, something out of nothing. You cannot dissect analytics to the point where it give you a migraine. That is not actionable, it is painful.

Career growth: simply put, none. There is only one promotion that I have seen I would say was well deserved, promotions within Support@sailthru. That team does 99% heavy lifting which Client Success should be doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeil/Ian - Great vision, good product. But extremely poor choice in selecting leaders consequently leading to loss of solid talent (I'm sure its subjective to you - but evaluate the quality of talent lost. It speaks volumes.). I hope you do not wait until it impacts your main revenue stream: clients.

But from what I saw, this most likely will never be accepted. As always, at Sailthru, you are just another employee, if you want to be work at Sailthru you can, otherwise the door is right there. Right?

Company at a tipping point

Software Engineering (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsResults Oriented Work Environment (kind of, depends on department)
    Friendly people in general
    Fast growth, bringing on more experienced business people

ConsUnstable tech stack
    Very young engineering team
    Kind of amateurish executive team
    Crowded and noisy office space

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch out for people in-fighting and creating cliques and fiefdoms as you grow and there are more new people than veterans. Bring in some engineers with more experience and maturity and pay them right. Move beyond high school culture in engineering team. Be honest with people up front about career track.

Amazing people, workplace, vision, leadership

(Current Employee)

ProsWorking here makes you forget the time - you end up staying even later than you need to because it's fun, collaborative and has great energy. The work is demanding/challenging, but manageable since you can work from pretty much anywhere on your terms as long as you get your job done. The company should remember that as it grows to please its board members, eliminating the red tape and maintaining the start up feel is what's keeping so many hard working and passionate/young/smart people on board today.

ConsDespite the unlimited vacation perk, the company is understaffed. You don't take more than a couple weeks, if that, off a year because you feel guilty asking people to cover for you. This will likely change with plans to hire more in place, however. Very young managers who've been promoted into their roles based on tenure also make it a frustrating place to work since they just aren't great at leading the talent Sailthru is bringing in.

Worked for Sailthru? Contribute to the Community!