Sailthru

Sailthru CEO & Co-Founder Neil Capel
Neil Capel

Hard Work = High Rewards

I have been working at Sailthru full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sailthru has great benefits - the unlimited vacation was an immediate seller for me. They have trust in their employees which allows for extreme flexibility. The vision and product is truly inspiring and is something I believe will succeed. Recent management changes, particularly in Sales, are resulting in a huge uplift in morale. There really is some great talent here and most of the people are just truly awesome.

The company is growing, which is where I see most of these negative reviews stemming from. Growth is a good thing people! But you have to be able to adapt and manage the growth to be successful. Things here are constantly changing, if you can't handle that look elsewhere.

Cons

Some managers received their positions by being the first ones in, but are too immature for the responsibility. If you're lucky enough to have a great manager (I do) you'll be happy, otherwise you might suffer a bit. They've made some bad hiring decisions in the past that are still lingering around, and there are roles that I consider irrelevant (mostly on the People team). The CEO has great energy, but it seems like he can "play favorites" sometimes and that definitely does not bode well for a good work environment, or help in making strategic hiring/firing decisions.

Compensation seems to be pretty fair, but there are no bonus structures or something to look forward to. Career and salary potential planning are lacking here.

Really assess the need and value of all team members. Evaluate more before making hiring decisions.

Very Briefly, Don't Bother. All glitz and glamor.

I have been working at Sailthru

Pros

Back to College atmosphere for those who want that. Good neighborhood. Booze till you Snooze. CEO is cool.

Cons

If you are wondering why people leave.
    1. Very poor pay and subpar benefits, even for a start-up
    2. Leaders are not qualified to be at their position
    3. Clickish people
    4. Clients are confused by what we actually do = hard to pitch
    5. Roles undefined
    6. Zero interest in employee growth and development
    7. Incredibly high turnover in Senior management

During your first week or so, this may seem like a dream job but it's deceptive. Once you start being stressed, trying your hardest and no one to turn to address your issues with, it's over.

Sailthru is not a long term solution for most people. Its a stopgap to party and work, then leave when a better job comes along.

Grow up.

RUN! No, seriously.... RUN AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!!!

I have been working at Sailthru full-time (more than an year)

Pros

very casual, beer, relaxed, cool office and some really great people

Cons

no infrastructure to do job effectively, claims to be all about transparency but in reality it isn't, have internal snitches to keep management abreast of going ons - VERY creepy, management is unskilled, horrible lack of communication, tools aren't given to succeed in role, there is no career track, if an executive doesn't like you personally, they make your life hell despite your work ethic and the quality of work done so you desperately want to leave. desperately need to grow up. it's a very immaturely run company.

hire a consulting firm to re-org and structure or you'll continue to lose excellent employees at the rapid rate you already are.

Amazing people, great potential, worth the growing pains

Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I have been working at Sailthru full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Leadership is really willing to listen and action on suggestions. Compensation is fair. Company consistently hires amazing, intelligent people. Work/life balance is encouraged, and you even get a stipend to fund the personal growth endeavor of your choice.

Cons

Look: There are real challenges that come up and sometimes the growing pains are really difficult. If you are someone who enjoys finding the opportunity in tough situations, this will be a good fit. If you are someone who doesn't get completely frustrated by taking initiative to create process and order out of chaos, this will be a good fit. Ultimately, the people that work well at this company are dedicated, smart, innovative, and care about making things better; however, they don't expect things to be perfect yet. Getting there is the fun!

Keep caring about your people, keep focusing on growth. Ensure Execs have real presence in the office, and have a close pulse on what's going on with employees. If there is a criticism to be made, it's that some Execs are too removed for a company this size.

Sep 28, 2014ceo

Thank you for posting. It’s wonderful to read how you feel the importance that we place on balance and that you’re looking to tackle the challenges of a scaling organization head on. Your positive ... More

A great product, destroyed by awful management

I worked at Sailthru full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many of the people you work with are really great people, free food and drinks, flexible time off, company "bonding" events, really good health and dental benefits.

Cons

It's a shame this company still can't grow up. The product is actually really awesome, if it was executed well. Unfortunately the tech stack is really unstable, the data on the backend is scattered and rarely syncs up across the platform, making comparing your campaigns apples to apples really difficult. Many of the product enhancements are stale, Sailthru is loosing it's edge it once had over their competitors.

Sailthru is really good at making you believe you are "awesome" with their culture of "awesomeness". Unfortunately, all they do is show face and mask the real problems of working here with endless booze and parties. Sounds great right? Yeah, if we were all still in college. If you want a career, and career growth, I'd look elsewhere unless you are prepared to play the game and brownnose. The pay here is rather low, no bonus structure, heard they FINALLY instated a 401k but do not match anything (no surprise there), raises are hard to get. You'll stay late, sacrifice your holidays, family, and friends, and they won't repay you with anything but some half felt "shout out" at an all hands.

Turnover here in the last 6 months has been on the rise, they fired a lot of their senior management (VP levels) in hopes to turn things around, but the problem lies with the top-- CEO, CFO, CTO and their unwillingness to do the things necessary to make this a fulfilling, rewarding place to work professionally. It's their way or the highway. The "speak up" mentality is a total farce, you'll speak up, incriminate yourself, and they won't listen.

Really evaluate what you are doing to a company that so many people worked hard to make successful. The way you are running business and your culture is not sustainable, people will eventually wise up, get out of the Sailthru stockholm syndrome brainwash, and move on.

Highly engaging, team oriented, great culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Sailthru full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've read through the reviews below and I completely disagree. Over the last 6-12 months, the organization has been focused on growing up, becoming more professional, and moving past start up. New leaders have been brought in who are true experts in their field including Product, Data Science, and HR. I have worked closely with the all of these teams and they are truly a breath of fresh air. Senior leaders are open and transparent and truly care about each employee.

Cons

The high growth has led to overcrowding of work space. they are addressing the issue but it can be hard to get work done because the office can get loud.

Keep being transparent regarding decisions and the state of the business.

Sep 28, 2014ceo

It’s fantastic to hear your confidence in our growing leadership team. We are excited to continue to grow and to bring in new levels of expertise throughout the company! We hope that our addition of ... More

Absolute Disgrace - They have really lost it

I have been working at Sailthru full-time

Pros

I can list them but it doesn't matter

Cons

This has become really pathetic. They give the illusion of a great culture and place to work but don't preach it at all. ROWE is not working. There is incompetence on the manager level and a resistance to being more professional.

People are swatted out like flies and let go when managers feel like it. Every department is filled with managers who have no clue how to lead or help, because many of them were probably interns not too long ago!!!. New People team they hired this year are very unfriendly.

Our website needs some serious work, it looks dreadful and is an eyesore.

Many people are looking to leave. 2014 has not been a good year for Sailthru

This company is sailing......right toward an iceberg

Grow the heck up or what was a great thing will be lost very quickly. Hire people who have been around the block.

Sep 28, 2014ceo

I appreciate your feedback! As any start-up goes from being a small company to one that is growing at the rate at which we are, there are processes, protocol and performance that is tested. We can ... More

It's a sinking ship!

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Sailthru full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free snacks, and stocked kitchen.

Cons

This started as a great company, when I joined but has been downhill climb ever since. Sadly, to say the focus was about "self-branding" then "self-realization". The exec or whatever they want to be called should have focused on perfecting the product. Which recently, has only diminished in power. Competition has caught up, existing SAAS companies in the email world, have caught up.

Sadly, the current managers, specially in Client Success and Dev/Engineering, need to be replaced. This should have been done yesterday but favoritism survives. If you happen to be managed under any individual here, good luck. I saw some good people go in the past year. Sadly, to say they may have been the lucky ones.

I see a lot of mixed reviews here, but SailThru is very BIG about Glassdoor, so for every 1 negative review, you'll see 5 positive ones pop up. Its most likely the same people with different email address.

Final thought: If you like to brown-nose (West Coast Consultant/CS Manager) these positions are already filled at SailThru. If you have a career, this is not the place for you.

Bon Voyage!

Like people are saying in the company now, its a sinking ship! Ah-oh mates!

Seriously, we need a new CEO, CFO and CTO. The rest of the VP's need to go any way, that goes without saying if you currently work at SailThru.

Sep 28, 2014ceo

It’s disappointing to hear that you’ve had such a difficult and frustrating experience at Sailthru. We’ve set out to build both a truly unique product and culture, and there are certainly challenges ... More

New to Sailthru and already growing.

I have been working at Sailthru full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Sailthru has been an amazing place to jump in and start contributing. It's not a political and competitive environment as everyone here is focused on working together to produce results, rather than just working to stand out (or stay hidden). People actively share knowledge and work to make the office a fun, engaging and team-oriented environment. Cross-functional work isn't just an internal comms buzzword, it's something that actually happens naturally day after day, which both allows everyone to see challenges from a new perspective and to share their own perspective on topics/areas where they might not traditionally be invited to do so. It's a wonderful place to work!

Cons

Processes are actively being defined and tested. It's empowering to be a part of the process of process, but not everyone is always comfortable with this.

extremely bright employees who will go above and beyond to drive success

I have been working at Sailthru full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company preaches a results-only work environment (no facetime so long as work is done) and actually MEANS it; employees are insanely passionate about what they do and very committed to their roles - it is not unusual to see employees from across the business units volunteer to do side projects during late nights/weekends; there are no jerks - company is chock full of thoughtful, smart colleagues who genuinely care about one another and will do whatever they can to make sure the company succeeds; there is an exceptional focus on cross-functional collaboration and it feels very natural; there are huge opportunities to pursue side projects/gain exposure to other parts of the business; awesome culture - the standard free snacks/booze thing but also regular social outings, company book club, weekly fitness bootcamp, massages, etc.

Cons

Despite the company's growth, many employees are still "wearing many hats," meaning people can be spread very, very thin at times; everyone is happy to do it, but it takes a toll on people over time. Decision-making can feel a little bit slow at times.

It is highly unusual to have 160 people who are this committed to something and will do everything in their power to drive success. I think it will be important to respond to that eagerness with a heightened sense of urgency - employees want to move faster, which is a great thing!