Saint Barnabas Medical Center

Saint Barnabas Medical Center President & CEO Barry Ostrowsky
Barry Ostrowsky

1. Working in the ER

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Livingston, NJ

I have been working at Saint Barnabas Medical Center (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great CNO who is very nurse focused, new management team with staff and patient focus. Focus on Magnet Status, evidence based practice and making patient safety a priority. Also an education focus with mentoring and leadership opportunities. Studer Group initiated the changes and focus that allowed new leadership and ousted the former Director.

Cons

Suffered under a dictatorship and Director who cause massive turnover through intimidation, bullying and nepotism. Took a long time to get management to make a change, which caused a loss of experienced staff. The union limits earning potential as there are no clinical ladders and an ASN makes what a nurse with a graduate degree makes at bedside. This thinking also affects salaries for management. Definitely not paid for the work done. Studer group-somewhat Stepford in their approach to patient satisfaction-what works in Iowa doesn't work in NJ.

Advice to Management

Encourage education, pay more for education, institute more research opportunities. Build a huge per diem pool so that there is never short staffing. Initiate set patient to staff ratios-break the union. Success will come with loyal staff, loyal staff is built on self-worth, caring for their personal time and breaks and hearing their concerns for staffing and safety. ALSO, get rid of all nursing assistants and clinical technicians who are not in nursing schools, PA school or some other college program. Create a feed program into our system, lose the dead weight that pretends to do patient care. Students have a lot to lose from a poor reference, the dead weight we have does not!

2. Previous employee

I have been working at Saint Barnabas Medical Center (More than a year)

Pros

Always overtime available if needed

Cons

No longer bedside nursing, all documentation

3. RN

I worked at Saint Barnabas Medical Center (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very organized professional friendly flexible schedule easy to discuss issues always approachable friendly co workers room to advance take advantage of this so you do not stay in same position not good for your future

Cons

Shrinking benefit due to CEO

5. Bad Place to Work

Current Employee - NONE in Linden, NJ
    Current Employee - NONE in Linden, NJ

I have been working at Saint Barnabas Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've been working at Barnabas for 7 years, it's getting worst. They don't care bout the employee, they only give you 2% raise which is nothing. They give you more work and less paid

Cons

I will never referring anyone to work for Barnabas, the CEO got to go. I am glad Robert Wood Johnson Merge with them. Maybe the CEO of RWJ is better and maybe can give us a better raise.

Advice to Management

MANAGEMENT SUCKS

6. Rn

Current Employee - R N in New Dover, NJ
    Current Employee - R N in New Dover, NJ

I have been working at Saint Barnabas Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nurses are great. Hospital has improved cosmetically.

Cons

Upper management out of touch with pt care. Like a lot of places now I'm sure everything revolves around press ganey's and not good nursing care.

Advice to Management

Listen to what the nursing staff has to say. They know what's best for patients. I treat your nurses like the professionals they are and not children.

RN or Sales Person

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Saint Barnabas Medical Center full-time

Pros

You will learn a lot especially because it is a teaching hospital. There is opportunity for advancing your education with reimbursement.

Cons

Although management drills the minds of the staff nurse about patient centered care, the hospital has gotten away from anything clinical. The focus is on the perception of the patient, even if their health doesn't actually improve. You could be the most unsafe nurse clinically, but be great at selling yourself during bedside report and management will applaud you. The really good nurses that actually care for the patients medically, will receive no recognition if they don't slap on that fake salesperson attitude during bedside report and rounds. If your patients status is deteriorating, but another patient needs pain medication, you are expected to attend the patient who needs pain medicine. Overall this is an unsafe facility and I would not want my family member in one of those beds.

Advice to Management

Let your nurses be nurses. If they don't know that 1/7 of their patients pain medication is due at 1103 it is because they have 400 other things going on at the same time. Respect the hard work they do and don't punish nurses every chance you get. If you want numbers to go up, treat your nurses well. The numbers will follow.

8. MD

Current Employee - Physician in Livingston, NJ
    Current Employee - Physician in Livingston, NJ

Pros

Progressive hospital with great vision. Finally investing in growth and infrastructure. Great improvement in institutional culture.

Cons

Need to bring more talented physicians in full time roles to enhance the quality of medicine practiced. Improve ER facilities and ICU. Improve relationship between management and physicians.

Advice to Management

Consider changing the onerous and unfair bonus structure for managers. Many grumble about what they received and what was promised.

This place is insane!!!!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Livingston, NJ

Pros

the friends you work with

Cons

i would not recommend anyone to work in this place... They don't care about the employees at all... It is the worst place to work you could ever find... You can just tell but the amount of employees sick, looking for other jobs everyday, and people leaving that hospital to work somewhere else because it is just INSANE!!!!!

Advice to Management

At least the managers should qualify for the positions... As long as they can breath and walk they get the position... Then they do not know how to handle it.

10. ICU Stepdown RN

Pros

Good benefits. Appropriate patient:nurse ratio on *most* days.

Cons

Vacation time goes by seniority. Hard to get time off approved when you are new to a unit.

11. Food & Beverage

I worked at Saint Barnabas Medical Center part-time

Pros

This job has flexible hours, good work environment, and nice team working skills. Very friendly group of people i got to work with and enjoyed there company for my time being.

Cons

Some of the tension from the higher ups can be extremely stressful however that just happens once in a while. Most of them are pretty polite and sweet to their workers which is nice to know prior having it happen to you.

Advice to Management

I would focus more on the employees benefits. I was there for about 2 years and still didn't have practically any vacation time for what I was called a valued employee.

RSS Feed </> Embed