Saint Barnabas Medical Center

Saint Barnabas Medical Center President & CEO Barry Ostrowsky
Barry Ostrowsky

Good Hospital

I worked at Saint Barnabas Medical Center

Pros

This hospital is great. Many job opportunities. Just about all the staff are very nice here.

Cons

For my particular position, I worked weekend overnights, they did not pay time and a half. They paid only a lil bit extra for working these odd hours.

Favoritism controls management decisions

Former Employee - Phlebotomy in Livingston, NJ
    Former Employee - Phlebotomy in Livingston, NJ

I worked at Saint Barnabas Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employees are very friendly and treat patients well

Cons

Unfair scheduling. Certain employees got better shifts because of favoritism.

Treat all employees equally

Glad I left

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Livingston, NJ
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Livingston, NJ

I worked at Saint Barnabas Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I liked the other RNs I worked with. The pay was decent, but most hospitals pay better.

Cons

Poor management (nurse manager was catty and talked about nurses behind their backs), the company does not care about the nurses, disorganized, very difficult to find supplies needed for patient care (I had to improvise a lot and find "creative" solutions).

Care about your employees and not just about your money.

Unhappy staff Rn's

Current Employee - Staff RN in Livingston, CA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Livingston, CA

I have been working at Saint Barnabas Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

13 hr shifts, Wellness program

Cons

Performance based appraisals: how the employee performs, going above & beyond is pointless because the appraisal is the same for everyone according to Studor (outside company hired by barnabas to improve its performance). Studor says regardless, everyone is a 3 out of 5. If you go above and beyond, it's expected of you.

Threatening environment by management

Staff RN raises over past 4 years is 0$$. Healthcare cost of employee equals or exceeds the raise. Difficult to make it without doing overtime with increase in cost of living.

Minimal lunches where you are not watching your patient or being interrupted, absolutely no breaks. Management rarely helps when it's a sink or swim situation.

If you have an excessive amount of sick time & call out sick twice in 6 months you are giving written warnings. 3 strikes and you are out. Clearly someone with 300+ sick hours does not above the system and should not feel threatened.

No clinical education for changes & updates in healthcare standards for nurses

Very nice place

Current Employee - Billing Coding in West Orange, NJ
    Current Employee - Billing Coding in West Orange, NJ

I have been working at Saint Barnabas Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are really good. The hiring process is a bit tedious. Been hard to get a raise lately.

Cons

Very beautiful place to work in. the staff are kind but it seems to be going downhill. It is possible they might be bankrupt

Stressful, priorities change all the time

Former Employee - Certified Patient Access Representative in Livingston, NJ
    Former Employee - Certified Patient Access Representative in Livingston, NJ

I worked at Saint Barnabas Medical Center part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, they did try to be accommodating when scheduling shifts

Cons

The "way" my job was done, changed almost on a monthly basis. Training was done by several different people who all had different ways of doing things. Priorities were constantly changing. Management was not keen on establishing any personal connection with the employees and they play favorites.

Establish a clear, concise plan of action for how to execute the duties of the position and then stick to it. Monthly changes to protocol are confusing and frustrating.

St. Barnabas Hospital in livingston, NJ is an OK place to work.

I have been working at Saint Barnabas Medical Center

Pros

People working there are very nice.

Cons

Not very clean. Disorganized. Every other weekend.

Mental Health Associate

Current Employee - Mental Health Associate in Toms River, NJ
    Current Employee - Mental Health Associate in Toms River, NJ

I have been working at Saint Barnabas Medical Center

Pros

Educational advancement opportunites
    family like culture

Cons

Lack of upward mobility without RN license

The Saint Barnabas System is very large there should be upward mobility tracks availble for future leaders within the company that do no tpossess a RN license.

A Good Place to Work

Former Employee - Marketing in Long Branch, NJ
    Former Employee - Marketing in Long Branch, NJ

I worked at Saint Barnabas Medical Center

Pros

The people I worked with were fantastic. Even the head directors of each department were a great help, especially while I was first getting started. There were freat opportunities to meet many people within the hospital, and media contacts outside the hospital. Employees also get a discounted lunch from the cafeteria, and free parking in the parking lot everyday ($4 a day.)

Cons

The office area I worked in wasn't up to date. The computers were old, as well as the Microsoft systems on them. My office was shared with two other people, and there was extra marketing storage strewn all over the room.

Personally, I found the Saint Barnabas Health Care System a great corporation to work for. Organizational skills could be greatly improved, along with updated office space.

Worker gone Postal...

Current Employee - Buyer in Oceanport, NJ
    Current Employee - Buyer in Oceanport, NJ

I have been working at Saint Barnabas Medical Center

Pros

The only good thing about working for Saint Barnabas Healthcare System is the benefits - besides that if you want to be paid you might as well forget about it - because they have their clicks n that is who gets paid

Cons

Everything getting time off is next to impossible u have to give ur time off within a 3 month wind - so say in January u r planning a trip in June u will have to wait until April to put in ur vacation if someone else beats you to it then ur screwed.

To promote the people who deserve it in others if they have the 1. education 2, experience 3 good work ethic stop promoting your friends who should not be in magager possitions- then again the people who are Senior Management got there because they were friends with someone so the circle continues.

Saint Barnabas Medical Center Photos