Saint Coletta of Greater Washington

2.8
CEO

1. Employee

I have been working at Saint Coletta of Greater Washington

Pros

Very flexible job depending on your position. The population is awesome.

Cons

Poor communication and continuity. Very low pay.

Advice to Management

Be open to change and throughly investigate someone's background before hiring

2. Could be better

Current Employee - Program Assistant in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Program Assistant in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Saint Coletta of Greater Washington (More than a year)

Pros

Great workers and great individuals attending the program

Cons

Workers are under paid for all the work they do

Advice to Management

Offer better pay or lower responsibilities, and it should be a day program instead

3. Paras are expendable, with workloads too heavy for an unlivable wage.

Current Employee - Paraeducator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Paraeducator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Saint Coletta of Greater Washington full-time

Pros

Helping kids (sort of - school philosophy allows them to run the show). You can form good bonds between coworkers. Staff support can be great.

Cons

Salary - many paras are forced to work second jobs after an exhausting day at school. Admin has created a very Us and Them environment, in which hourly staff can't even go upstairs without feeling as if they're being watched and questioned.

Advice to Management

Stop smelling your own farts and start creating a team environment. Treat all staff as if they are equal. Cookies once a month at meetings isn't enough. Don't make people feel excluded. Give all school staff coffee during the day. Not just for you hotshots upstairs.

5. I enjoy my job and I look forward to going to work.

Current Employee - A N
    Current Employee - A N

I have been working at Saint Coletta of Greater Washington full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work environment is positive and engaging. The participants make my job fun and my relationship with my coworkers is great.

Cons

The job can get stressful at moments but my coworkers guide me through resolving any issue.

Advice to Management

Have more employee friendly events to create community within the organization and it's employees

6. Working as a Para or TA.

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Saint Coletta of Greater Washington full-time

Pros

Great benefits, paid school holiday breaks including Christmas and spring break. Overall OK place to work for entry level

Cons

Little room for advancement, management can be very petty, sometimes horrible employees can keep their joe while other are fired without good reason. Pay is NOT competitive. A lot of micro managing.

Advice to Management

Do more to appreciate the staff, they are the ones who make St. Coletta a great option for special needs children.

7. A Learning Experience

Former Employee - Paraprofessional/Class Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Paraprofessional/Class Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Saint Coletta of Greater Washington full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with students with disabilities can be very rewarding. Staff have the opportunity to develop relationships with students and travel in the community to provide real-life learning experiences. Company is excellent at promotion. Staff have the option of participating in a full benefit package, exercise classes, and/or lunch and breakfast program. School follows DCPS for closures. Staff gets a full summer break.

Cons

High turn-over. Staff is expendable. Staff is often frustrated by management's lack of accountability and seemingly apathetic nature.

8. No room for growth

Former Employee - Program Assistant in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in Rockville, MD

I worked at Saint Coletta of Greater Washington full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a decent job to start out with, the salary is ok but most people who work at St.coletta have two jobs. The building is new and is well maintained, a lot of young staff and you make a lot of friends.

Cons

Some staff members are mean to the participants and use harsh language around them, employees gossip non stop. The work place is lots of drama

Advice to Management

Pay staff more so they feel more inclined to do a better job. Make PCs earn their salaries, direct staff are the people who actually hold this place together.

9. Awful- Many inept people running things and outdated programs for the constituents

I worked at Saint Coletta of Greater Washington full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This review regards the work program- good focus on getting clients into the community and helping them interact and learn about the world around them. Clients are treated, for the most part, well.

Cons

This review regards the work program- Those in charge lack knowledge of how to handle clients and how to properly care for them, and their treatment of their employees is deplorable. Assault by the clients is common and the employees are expected to wear a smile and tolerate it. Programs and activities for the clients are largely outdated and do not come near to addressing their potentials, which are often written off. Employees with better training and thrown to the wayside or thrown away.

Advice to Management

Utilize your employees to their fullest. Support them when they are being assaulted and don't tolerate bad behavior from either. Put people in charge who know the system and how to best utilize it. Have more faith in the ability of your clients.

10. U.G.H.

I have been working at Saint Coletta of Greater Washington full-time

Pros

You get to work with amazing participants who brighten your day

Cons

They expect too much for so little pay NO support from senior management and there's a clear divide between us and them Very catty environment You never get praised for a job well done-ever. You have to be flexible every second of the day. They change things without even telling you You just don't feel as if they want you there

Advice to Management

Make us feel like family or that you want us to continue to work for you. Fill us in on changes before you've already settled on changing things. It's a small company, so I feel like that's doable. Also, praise is really important. I don't want to feel like I'm always in trouble.

RSS Feed </> Embed