Saint Elizabeth Health Care

Updated September 9, 2014
3.1

Shirlee Sharkey

A great place to work

Current Employee - Community Health Worker in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Community Health Worker in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Saint Elizabeth Health Care part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Saint Elizabeth treats their workers like gold. The Vancouver office is very supportive and has a great team to help its Community Health Workers do their jobs properly.

Cons

Some of the clients are very difficult. As well, a BlackBerry is normally used to communicate with the workers; however, I personally have worked for Saint Elizabeth for 8 months, and have yet to receive a BlackBerry.

Please give your staff the tools they need to work.

For the most part, it was a good place to work.

I worked at Saint Elizabeth Health Care

Pros

What I liked was the flexibility of my schedule and I also had a good group of people to work with.

Cons

Because of the position I was working in, there were very few hours and not much room for growth. Perhaps had I worked in a different position this might have been different.

Paid too little for the HUGE amount of work you do

Current Employee - Registered Practical Nurse in London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Registered Practical Nurse in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Saint Elizabeth Health Care full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, meet very interesting people, independent, utilizes critical thinking skills.

Cons

LOTS of paperwork on your own free time as they don't provide you with a tablet to complete care plans and other forms in the clients home. Annoying and time consuming to set up your next day and call all of your clients. Sometimes difficult if you don't have a supply that you need. Can be dangerous working in strangers homes, you never know what you're going to come across. Rate of pay is too low for what we do.

It would be nice if management could give us tablets with a data plan so that we could do our paperwork in the homes and not have to spend hours of our free time doing paperwork for free. Also a raise would be nice.

good

I have been working at Saint Elizabeth Health Care

Pros

in SEHC, the hours are decent

Cons

in SEHC, pay is under market by about 10%

Good place to work with friendly colleagues.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Saint Elizabeth Health Care part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment and people are friendly and helpful. Able to work independently and acquire excellent clinical nursing skills. Good clinical supports in place.

Cons

Changes take a long time to happen. Need to increase salary compared to other community nursing agencies. Not paid hourly but by the number of clients seen. Work longer than you are paid.

Need to understand changes that are happening at each location before bringing down new changes and not just operate in a vacuum.

There is always room for improvement.

Current Employee - Service Coordinator
    Current Employee - Service Coordinator

I have been working at Saint Elizabeth Health Care part-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are committed to providing the best service that you possibly can to accommodate for any patient needs, and you do not mind any significant challenges, and this may be a good fit for you.

Cons

I have observed fellow colleagues back-stabbing or gossiping about other individuals in the office. There is also a lack of empathy on behalf of senior health care supervisors to the concerns made from administrative staff. There are even some patients that abuse the health care system, by filing complaints to the agency for every error made on our part, to even receiving threats and insults from the clients out in community.

Learn how to listen to your administrative staff. As well, consider hiring more staff to meet the exceeding demands of the services that you offer in nursing, personal support, and rehabilitation. Finally, managers should become more actively involved in tackling issues brought upon by clients, instead of trying to avoid responsibilities by moving it over to administrative staff.

Incompetent Mississauga Iffice

Former Employee - Visiting Nurse in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Visiting Nurse in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Saint Elizabeth Health Care part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Not having to see the folk in the office everyday

Cons

HHS's are unsupportive, controling, and don't care about nurses that work for the company

Get training and lean empathy for your nurses

Tough but fair

Current Employee - Nurse in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Nurse in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Saint Elizabeth Health Care part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of work experience and people are generally nice. It is fun once you get into the flow of the week. You get to meet tons of new people and this work will teach you a thing or two about independence and responsibility.

Cons

Coworkers will not go out of their way to help you. Like any job, it may become hard at first but eventually you start to get into the flow of the day. Unfortunately, you must go through this tough time on your own and many of the others in the health care team will not be very understanding. In team meetings, it may sometimes feel like a power struggle but finding at least one other person in the team to vent with usually works.

Make sure that teams are up to date with all kinds of up and coming technology that may be able to facilitate the field health care team with their daily work.

Visiting Nurse For Mississauga Office

Former Employee - RN Visiting Nurse in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - RN Visiting Nurse in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Saint Elizabeth Health Care part-time (less than a year)

Pros

BlackBerry,Autonomy where you can work along, opportunity to work with different age groups ( new born, children , elderly) and to provide care to clients in different settings ( in home, school, or long term care, schools) Opportunities to learn a variety of skills thru SEHC certifications, not confined to a building, or punching in and out, not tangled in office politics

Cons

Blackberry Has no telephone capability, use your personal cell minutes,Management expects for Nurses to be accessible 27/7 via blackBerry. nCoordinators send emails all the time even when you workingBlackBerry Pay Errors GALORE, pay corrections aren't done in timely fashion and may wait 2 to 3 pay checks to get paid, Clients have too much control, Clients can specify visit times which gives nurses no control over their schedules, Coordinators and supervisors aren't well trained, Wear and tear on vehicle, Pay not competitive, lots of paper work- telephone time back and forth with Case managers, lots of faxing, Visits are unpredictable as clients can cancel without notice which means nurse loses money, not all visits are paid per hour but maybe 20 or 30 minutes duration by which a nurse will have to see more clients to make a decent check.

Provide competitive Pay Rate for nurses, Invest in Supervisor Training and Education, Higher Nurse Coordinators instead of those with High Diploma , Invest in Coordinator Training and Education throughout the Year, Devise a Structure for Nurses to get issues Resolved if HHS isn't Able to solve problems or concerns, Feedback on Orientation through a system via online or survey monkey,

excellent work experience

I have been working at Saint Elizabeth Health Care part-time

Pros

very good experience with this company

Cons

no cons , I never experience any

Saint Elizabeth Health Care Photos