Saint-Gobain Abrasives Reviews

Patrick Millot

1. Always Changing

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Saint-Gobain Abrasives full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Company, Excellent Benefits, I enjoyed my time with Saint Gobain Abrasives.

Cons

Constant change in expectations, product launches late and seldom without issues.

2. Quality engineer

Former Employee - Quality Engineer II in Hanover Park, IL
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer II in Hanover Park, IL

I worked at Saint-Gobain Abrasives full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learning to communicate with the production staff, and supporting the line

Cons

To much a corporate influence

Advice to Management

none

3. Saint Gobain Coated Abrasives

Former Employee - Product Manager in Watervliet, NY
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Watervliet, NY

Pros

I'd say the main one is the ability to set your own schedule on a day to day basis. Some of the people are pretty solid it just seems like the people with egos are the ones who get promoted.

Cons

few to no career opportunities at this particular site. If you want to grow, you need to move to another state (more than likely Texas...and by Texas I mean middle of nowhere Texas) Very Very political. To the point where it's almost unbelievable. Witnessed and experienced a few very unethical decisions and actions by upper management. Office culture is unbearable. You sit in an office on the third floor with maybe four other people and basically answer hundreds of emails a day while being micromanaged through email. Management will literally send 5 emails rather than walking up a flight of stairs to have a conversation in person. The only time you do speak to management is when something needs to be done ASAP. The interaction between peers is virtually nonexistent unless someone s complaining about how much they hate their job. HR reports into upper mgmt. as opposed to being a separate entity so whatever upper management wants, they get...even if its incredibly unethical or wrong for the people and business.

Advice to Management

work on changing the culture of the workplace. leave the egos at home speak to people with respect rather than being condescending

Lots of opportunties for career growth and skill development, but the politics are difficult to swallow

Pros

Freedom in work schedule, good health insurance, very political and gossipy, have to 'manage up' as management only looks out for themself, poor company culture

Cons

Political, age gap in the work force so young people leave quickly, difficult to find a healthy work life balance if you work in management

Advice to Management

Help employees develop short and long term career goals, provide more feedback throughout the year (positive and constructive)

6. Good Company that has good intent for its employees

Former Employee - Business Unit Leader in Fort Smith, AR
    Former Employee - Business Unit Leader in Fort Smith, AR

I worked at Saint-Gobain Abrasives full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company- has good core values from corporate Good pay, benefits and principles for employees

Cons

Need to hire HR in Ft Smith facility that understands the core values of the company and well being of the employees .

Advice to Management

Need new HR management in Ft Smith facility that cares about people.

7. The company does give a lot of mobility opportunities, geographic and functional, as long as you demonstrate added value

I have been working at Saint-Gobain Abrasives full-time

Pros

Size of the company equals more job opportunties, good benefits, stable

Cons

We try to implement too many things at once, and we change the flavor every 2 -3 years, very french based management. The company is not well know in the US, makes it harder to attract good people.

8. Not the worst place to work, but the company is really odd in some ways.

Former Employee - R&D Engineer in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - R&D Engineer in Worcester, MA

I worked at Saint-Gobain Abrasives part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some smart people there who are good to talk to. They have some fun events for employees once in a while.

Cons

Almost everyone I was in contact with was either awkward or bitter about the company or both. The company has a lot of red tape that makes getting anything done a lot more difficult than it should be. Safety is very, very important, but SG focuses on the wrong type of safety instead of things that actually matter. The open office thing does exactly the opposite of what it is suppose to do. Everyone is afraid to talk. The careers website is absolutely terrible.

Advice to Management

I've been told by fellow employees that "if you're not French, you don't matter." I'm not sure if I really noticed it, but other employees feel this way. The company does not come across as exciting. They talk about innovation, but I didn't see much evidence of it. The company seems too conservative.

9. Could be better

I have been working at Saint-Gobain Abrasives full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tuition reimbursement and pension plan

Cons

My site is not employee friendly and there is a terrible work/life balance

new management team in Worcester,MA Superabrasives is arrogant and loves to talk down to all factory employees.

Current Employee - Factory Worker in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Factory Worker in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Saint-Gobain Abrasives full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are none. What was once a great company is now being runned into the ground.

Cons

HR is useless. Management thinks the know it all.They consider employees stupid because they don't have college degrees.

Advice to Management

Clear out current regime before it is to late. Install people that don't have their agenda and that know how to talk to the worker

11. My experience was not positive and definitely not as presented during the interviews

Former Employee - Manager EHS in Plattsville, CT
    Former Employee - Manager EHS in Plattsville, CT

I worked at Saint-Gobain Abrasives full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

during my 6 months with the company, cannot think of any positivies

Cons

Very, very corporately controlled - no autonomy in anything you do. Micro management in everything

Advice to Management

Allow employees to have input and say in how things are done, not just tell everyone what to do because it is a corporate requirement or standard. One size does not fit all.

RSS Feed </> Embed