Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics

Updated December 9, 2014
3.7

Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics President & CEO Tom Kinisky
Tom Kinisky

Pros
  • Pretty good benefits although there is room for improvement to meet younger generations' expectations (in 7 reviews)

• Great benefits very good career opertunities (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Busy,must be willing to work alot of hours (in 2 reviews)

• Different working schedule of other people (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Very nice culture to work within

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portage, WI

I have been working at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Saint-Gobain's emphasis on safety is one like I have never seen before. Most companies only want to balance the risk, where Saint-Gobain truly believes there is absolutely no excuse for an accident - they are preventable and the goal is ZERO accidents.

The people are very friendly and easy to work with. In my 20+ year work life, this is the easiest company I have ever assimilated into. Workers may not agree with each other on everything, but they respectfully challenge each other. That is a healthy work environment. Everyone I work with is truly dedicated to making this the best facility it can be.

Pay is competitive with similar companies doing similar work in the area. SG has competitive benefits, has a good 401(k) match AND has a retirement plan.

SG has a very clean work environment that is climate controlled - even the warmest room is nothing like some facilities I have worked in.

Cons

Every single company has it's faults - there is no such thing as a perfect company and the same is true for Saint-Gobain. With so much change over the last several years, the focus on a high level of quality has deteriorated somewhat. The company needs to reinvest in the quality culture as much as they have invested in the safety culture. Does that mean the plant makes bad product? Absolutely not, but it does mean that Saint-Gobain can be better.

Vacation benefits could be enhanced. Overall, this is a great place to work.

Keep looking at your priorities and focus on quality as well as cost savings.

Old industrial method, Do more with less!

Current Employee - Production in Portage, WI
    Current Employee - Production in Portage, WI

I have been working at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Paycheck, Overtime available, Steady hours, safe.

Cons

Management. mandatory overtime, rules aren't applicable to everyone, bureaucratic mess, poor communication.

Over the last couple years they've lost focus on employees and quality which the company has suffered for. Management has created a culture of "you don't matter" to employees. Current operations and management- personnel relationships need to be examined. There is no trust in management anymore.

Truly a great company to work for. Not uncommon to see people come back to work for the company.

I have been working at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great People
    Great Training
    Lots of opportunities to move around

Cons

Difficult to get comparable salary
    May be bureaucratic at times

I planned on retiring from this company after only a few years of service.

Current Employee - District Sales Manager
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager

Pros

I have worked for SGPPL for 17 years and found if to be very interesting and rewarding. The company breeds a culture of individualism, creativity, and empowerment. In my years with the company I have always felt like I could try anything within reason to reach both my individual and corporate goals.
    I have found the president of the organization Mr. Kinisky very open and engaging. He is excellent in sharing news of the division as well as the overall company. He is always striving to take us to the next level while also rewarding our current efforts of growth. He and his team showed excellent leadership and executed a very good plan to guide us through the crisis of 2008-2009.
    Excellent benefit package with good bonus potential, healthcare coverage, 401K, and pension package.

Cons

I have found the company sometimes too loyal. Some new hires did not work out as planned and they were held on too long making it very difficult on other group members to pick up the slack.

The cost of the health care "cost sharing" has gone up almost every year I have been here, but I believe this is more of a country problem than a company one.

Newer employees have to be challenged right out of the gate. In addition to new job training, they need to be brought into the fold quickly as the younger generations look for instant gratification. A long and slow transition into their job might lead to boredom and losing a potentially valuable employee to another company.

Don't believe all the reviews

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics

Pros

Over the past years anything that was positive has gone down the tubes.

Cons

Management Does not respect employees, expected to work many hours, ppl Worcester needs a New plant manager before there is no site to save

Stop tell you current employee to add positive reviews on glass door. The reviews on this site are being manipulated.
    STAY AWAY...RUN FAST AND FAR

Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics Response

Dec 8, 2014Talent & Development Manager

Your review is appreciated. Our efforts to generate increased employee feedback are to achieve a fair mix of opinions and to ensure that a few reviews do not reflect the opinions of our ... More

Growth and Opportunity

Pros

The company provides, training, recognition and opportunity. You just have to make it happen.

Cons

The demands and pace at times can be overwhelming...however remember to focus on the need, and one step at a time...be honest to your timelines and yourself.

Breathe...sometimes we forget to take a breath before the next demand.

Outrageous politics

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portage, WI

Pros

It's a job. If you are just looking to get a paycheck, then this is the place for you. If you care about what you do, and the products you make, then keep looking somewhere else.

Cons

Not enough training. Management bends the rules to fit their needs. Management pushes blame down to hourly staff. Promotions are based on who you know, and how well you play the game, not on your credentials, and seniority. New employees start around, or at more than those that have been working there for years. Management asks for advise from employees, and yet never takes it. When an employee brings forth an issue, it is always turned back around on them, to be their fault.

Time to clean house in management, before the whole plant goes under.

Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics Response

Nov 8, 2014President and CEO

I want to thank you for taking the time to write about your current impressions of the work environment in our Portage, WI business. Over the last 10 years or so our Portage site has experienced ... More

Struggled with the bureaucratic matrix and the associated lack of accountability

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong focus on safety; decent compensation/benefits; job stability; great co-workers

Cons

lack of growth, inconsistent management practice of values, risk-averse culture, little effort to get to know employees; far too complex organizational structure with obvious lack of cohesion between levels and functions.

Get out of your conference rooms and listen to your employees (talk less, listen a lot more); solicit their opinion on company values, strategy, work/life balance and other key attributes of the employer-employee relationship, and then follow up concretely and quickly.

Passion and energy everywhere you go!

I have been working at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture seems to grow stronger every day. Most of management is open to new concepts and ideas. I have never experienced micromanaging and have been treated like a trusted expert since day one. There's a lot of pride and passion behind our business that is reflected everywhere you look.

Cons

Some politics. Too few vacation days for entry-level employees.

Use My Saint-Gobain more.

A Challenging Great Place to Work

I have been working at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Diversity of working with different people across the globe. The benefit of working on projects that improve and better peoples lives.

Cons

For the amount of work we sometimes do not get the promotions and salary we deserve. Minimum recognition and rewards for patents.

For large projects offer a incentive for performance and completion of projects goals on time and to budget.

Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics Photos