Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics President Tom Kinisky

Tom Kinisky

A Fun and Innovative Company to Work For

Research Engineer (Current Employee)
    Northborough, MA

ProsThis company really cares about its employees and it shows. The employee moral is high, innovation is great, attitudes are great... all leading to a great working experience. Everyone is committed to doing quality work and proud of what they do. It makes for great teamwork and a great environment.

ConsBeing a large company, sometimes management can seem a bit disconnected. However this has improved greatly over the last few years for the positive.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with the innitiatives to create a great place to work. PPL has improved greatly over my time with SG and I look forward to the continued improvement.

Flag Review
    Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics Director of HR responded to this review Jul 9, 2014 EditDelete
    Thanks for the great feedback on our culture and work environment! We are working hard to make sure that our managers take the time to sustain their connections and relationships within their ... More

So far so good.

ProsI enjoy the culture and people I work with. I feel I have a lot of autonomy in my role which speaks volumes.

ConsTraining is severely lacking, which unfortunately, is a key part of one's road to success in any job.
    We seem to just "throw" people into their jobs and it's sink or swim. This needs to be worked on and management is made aware of the issue.

Small business-like team with big company benefits

ProsThe people are committed to making good products, helping one another out, doing what's right for the customer, etc. Lots of opportunities for growth if you're open to moving between divisions and are open to moving. Pretty good benefits although there is room for improvement to meet younger generations' expectations. Overall, great team to be a part of and the products made bring great pride knowing the impact we have on people's lives.

ConsFlexibility is improving but still difficult to get approvals (such as telecommuting). Like any big company, there is always the red tape to get things approved and signed off which is a struggle. Very conservative which may be why the company has been around so long but it seems that it can sometimes cause the company to fall behind or miss out on some opportunities. Career paths/options could be better defined.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

R&D intern

R&D Intern (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsVery nice working environment. Not busy. Nice colleagues. Nice boss. Not hard tasks.

ConsLow pay. Sometimes not very efficient. Different working schedule of other people. Small company, maybe not for a career.

Personal and Professional Enrichment enhanced with terrific people !

ProsI have worked in this company for quite some time. I have been afforded many different opportunities during my career, in different capacities and functional areas and I have had FUN doing it all. I have found that you don't always have to move straight up the ladder to achieve success. I grew from the many challenges and skills I acquired, while taking on roles that were lateral. I have also been fortunate to work with some terrific people, who exemplify what it means to be a leader; who understand that their success depends on the success of those around them; whether it be their peer, subordinate or their manager. You are not alone in Performance Plastics, there are people around to help guide you, train you, counsel you and support you. But you can't be shy: listen, learn and then contribute. Keep in mind it isn't always fun, we work hard, very hard to be the best we can but I think it has been worth it.

ConsSometimes the layers of management can make it difficult to get action, approval or buy-in. However, we are a successful business and that doesn't happen without due consideration.

Very good company, excellent potential

Clearwater, FL

ProsThe company is extremely focused on growth (internal & external). Saint-Gobain attempts to hire very qualified people into positions and believes in developing employees through training. Safety is a strong suit at SG. More than any other company I have worked at, safety is not just something that is talked about. Salaries at the management level are fair, but need to be improved to compensate for the lack of work life balance. Salaries at the factory level are diverse and not necessarily at the level they should be to attract top talent.

ConsThere are select executive managers that seem to fail to perceive the value of people below them. Some managers are not leaders; they do not inspire, motivate or develop people to achieve the next level. At this point in time (2014) there seems to be a mix of leaders and managers.
    There tends to be a poor work life balance at my site for both managers and shop floor employees. Anyone who attempts to have a work life balance is shamed into working more or given more responsibilities to ensure that work becomes the priority.
    Bonus objectives are moving targets that don't get firmed until Q4 when results are apparent.
    As with most companies, medical insurance in going up. What really makes the difference is how the "Livewell" program is handled. Objectives to achieve lower insurance costs are becoming both more difficult and frankly there are less activities to earn those points leading to a perception that the company does not want employees to achieve the maximum 50 points.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused on the business and the customers, but treat team members the way you yourself would want to be treated. Don't just value respect, practice it. If the core values were treated the same way safety is, this company would shine!

Manufacturing Engineer

Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee)
    Merrimack, NH

ProsDeveloping new products and processes to support customers. Freedom to experiment and opinion valued.

ConsLimited positions, more contract than permanent positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing striking. My supervisors were very knowledgeable, well versed in products and many procedures.

Performance Plastics is one of the best divisions within Saint-Gobain.

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee)
    Aurora, OH

ProsPeople here have a lot of passion for their work, and want to satisfy internal and external customers. Systems provide a lot of bang for the buck. Senior management literally puts safety first in every presentation to the group. Company principles are communicated, and efforts to support diversity are very visible. Parent company has been in business for 350+ years, which contributes to job security.

ConsSupport for career planning and mentoring exists, but needs work. There are too many disparate (and sometimes conflicting) portals and lists of open positions, which probably slows the time to fill a position, and thereby hinders planning and overall company strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementSix Sigma, innovation programs, and training opportunities can all help to improve the business. But management should work more closely with employees to take lessons learned and convert them into tactical plans to support the high level strategy.

Stay away from this company!!!

Working Stiff (Current Employee)
    Worcester, MA

ProsEveryone including management is really unintelligent; makes an average person really stand out. If you cant stand women or minorities its a great place... very little diversity here.

ConsNo values, lots of punch lines like world class and continuous improvement. Lots of talk but nothing gets done. The culture SUCKS! watch your back at all times... Its all about seniority here, education and experience counts for nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey all truly belong here since they'll never survive anywhere else.

Interesting a lot of changes

Packer-operator-shift Lead-QC -shipping (Former Employee)
    Jackson, MI

Prosgreat employees - fair pay - safety is rated quite highly -good team work -a lot of learning tools in certain areas

Consmanagement needs to value there employees much more - very male orientated -a lot of who you know and your friends with to get any where there -job security is not present

Advice to Senior Managementneed to quite micro managing and more self empowered employees. show more respect for employees. hire full time rather then continue training temps

Worked for Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics? Contribute to the Community!

Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics Videos

Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics – Why Work for Us?

About Compagnie de Saint-Gobain Saint-Gobain Corporation is a Paris-based multinational corporation with 350 years of engineered materials expertise. Saint-Gobain transforms raw materials into advanced products for use… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics CEO Tom Kinisky. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics employees.