Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics

Updated September 5, 2014
3.8

Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics President & CEO Tom Kinisky
Tom Kinisky

Pros
  • Pretty good benefits although there is room for improvement to meet younger generations' expectations (in 7 reviews)

• years, which contributes to job security (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Couldn't agree more with a review berlow about bad managers with horrid tempers (in 2 reviews)

• Like any big company, there is always the red tape to get things approved and signed off which is a struggle (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, nice work culture, many dedicated employees, very safe.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portage, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portage, WI

I have been working at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation and benefits are good, plenty of opportunties to move into different positions on the floor as well as other sites. Extremly safe work environment, as well as clean.

Cons

Sometimes bureacracy can slow things down but it is a very large organization which comes with the territory. Bumping up vacation allowance would be a plus.

Jul 22, 2014Talent & Development Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review our company! Safety is priority #1 and it’s great to hear that you see and feel this in the culture at your location. Saint-Gobain has an EHS Charter: ZERO ... More

A n excellent global company with diverse technologies, products and structure

Current Employee - R&D Manager  in  Northborough, MA
    Current Employee - R&D Manager in Northborough, MA

I have been working at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- very diverse in technology and culture
    - Broad range of technologies - scientists heaven
    - opportunity to develop self and others
    - sense of entrepreneurship

Cons

- like many companies this size, sometimes may be too buraucratic
    - frequent changes, but this could be good sometimes
    - not for the soft hearts
    - may be too risk advert in information sharing and partnership with external organizations/suppliers

- find opportunities to make SG easy to work with.
    - vacation policy is outdated.

Jul 17, 2014Talent & Development Manager

We appreciate the time you took to submit your review and believe that our diverse culture helps elevate Performance Plastics’ in every aspect! People Development is one of the eight pillars in our ... More

A Fun and Innovative Company to Work For

Current Employee - Research Engineer  in  Northborough, MA
    Current Employee - Research Engineer in Northborough, MA

I have been working at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

This company really cares about its employees and it shows. The employee moral is high, innovation is great, attitudes are great... all leading to a great working experience. Everyone is committed to doing quality work and proud of what they do. It makes for great teamwork and a great environment.

Cons

Being a large company, sometimes management can seem a bit disconnected. However this has improved greatly over the last few years for the positive.

Keep up with the innitiatives to create a great place to work. PPL has improved greatly over my time with SG and I look forward to the continued improvement.

Jul 9, 2014Director of HR

Thanks for the great feedback on our culture and work environment! We are working hard to make sure that our managers take the time to sustain their connections and relationships within their ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

So far so good.

I have been working at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics full-time

Pros

I enjoy the culture and people I work with. I feel I have a lot of autonomy in my role which speaks volumes.

Cons

Training is severely lacking, which unfortunately, is a key part of one's road to success in any job.
    We seem to just "throw" people into their jobs and it's sink or swim. This needs to be worked on and management is made aware of the issue.

Jul 17, 2014Talent & Development Manager

Thank you for your review and we are glad to hear that you are enjoying your time at Performance Plastics. We continuously strive to strengthen our training programs and appreciate that you’ve ... More

Small business-like team with big company benefits

Pros

The people are committed to making good products, helping one another out, doing what's right for the customer, etc. Lots of opportunities for growth if you're open to moving between divisions and are open to moving. Pretty good benefits although there is room for improvement to meet younger generations' expectations. Overall, great team to be a part of and the products made bring great pride knowing the impact we have on people's lives.

Cons

Flexibility is improving but still difficult to get approvals (such as telecommuting). Like any big company, there is always the red tape to get things approved and signed off which is a struggle. Very conservative which may be why the company has been around so long but it seems that it can sometimes cause the company to fall behind or miss out on some opportunities. Career paths/options could be better defined.

R&D intern

Former Employee - R&D Intern  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - R&D Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very nice working environment. Not busy. Nice colleagues. Nice boss. Not hard tasks.

Cons

Low pay. Sometimes not very efficient. Different working schedule of other people. Small company, maybe not for a career.

Personal and Professional Enrichment enhanced with terrific people !

I have been working at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics full-time

Pros

I have worked in this company for quite some time. I have been afforded many different opportunities during my career, in different capacities and functional areas and I have had FUN doing it all. I have found that you don't always have to move straight up the ladder to achieve success. I grew from the many challenges and skills I acquired, while taking on roles that were lateral. I have also been fortunate to work with some terrific people, who exemplify what it means to be a leader; who understand that their success depends on the success of those around them; whether it be their peer, subordinate or their manager. You are not alone in Performance Plastics, there are people around to help guide you, train you, counsel you and support you. But you can't be shy: listen, learn and then contribute. Keep in mind it isn't always fun, we work hard, very hard to be the best we can but I think it has been worth it.

Cons

Sometimes the layers of management can make it difficult to get action, approval or buy-in. However, we are a successful business and that doesn't happen without due consideration.

Very good company, excellent potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics full-time

Pros

The company is extremely focused on growth (internal & external). Saint-Gobain attempts to hire very qualified people into positions and believes in developing employees through training. Safety is a strong suit at SG. More than any other company I have worked at, safety is not just something that is talked about. Salaries at the management level are fair, but need to be improved to compensate for the lack of work life balance. Salaries at the factory level are diverse and not necessarily at the level they should be to attract top talent.

Cons

There are select executive managers that seem to fail to perceive the value of people below them. Some managers are not leaders; they do not inspire, motivate or develop people to achieve the next level. At this point in time (2014) there seems to be a mix of leaders and managers.
    There tends to be a poor work life balance at my site for both managers and shop floor employees. Anyone who attempts to have a work life balance is shamed into working more or given more responsibilities to ensure that work becomes the priority.
    Bonus objectives are moving targets that don't get firmed until Q4 when results are apparent.
    As with most companies, medical insurance in going up. What really makes the difference is how the "Livewell" program is handled. Objectives to achieve lower insurance costs are becoming both more difficult and frankly there are less activities to earn those points leading to a perception that the company does not want employees to achieve the maximum 50 points.

Stay focused on the business and the customers, but treat team members the way you yourself would want to be treated. Don't just value respect, practice it. If the core values were treated the same way safety is, this company would shine!

Manufacturing Engineer

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer  in  Merrimack, NH
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Merrimack, NH

I worked at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Developing new products and processes to support customers. Freedom to experiment and opinion valued.

Cons

Limited positions, more contract than permanent positions.

Nothing striking. My supervisors were very knowledgeable, well versed in products and many procedures.

Stay away from this company!!!

Current Employee - Working Stiff  in  Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Working Stiff in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone including management is really unintelligent; makes an average person really stand out. If you cant stand women or minorities its a great place... very little diversity here.

Cons

No values, lots of punch lines like world class and continuous improvement. Lots of talk but nothing gets done. The culture SUCKS! watch your back at all times... Its all about seniority here, education and experience counts for nothing.

They all truly belong here since they'll never survive anywhere else.

Worked for Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics? Contribute to the Community!