Saint-Gobain

Updated December 18, 2014
3.7

Saint-Gobain Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Pierre-André de Chalendar
Pierre-André de Chalendar

Pros
  • Reasonable work-life balance, reasonable pay (in 6 reviews)

• Big company that may potentially hold intracompany opportunities (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, minimal opportunities for professional development, shortsighted decision making, (in 3 reviews)

• Poor pay and dysfunctional management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Fair company

I have been working at Saint-Gobain

Pros

You always know what you have to do and the volume is there, the company offers you French classes free of charge and you can give your honest opinion on how the new procedures or working.

Cons

The phone volume is just as high as the invoicing so you have to balance them carefully.

Overall and solid stable company to work for

I have been working at Saint-Gobain full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large company which has been around for 350 years in France. They know how to run the business and the HR teams do a good just supporting careers especially those who are considered to have future potential.

Cons

Sometimes the company can be large and slow to make change. As with any large group there are many different sites and some are better than others in how they treat people, but overall the company does have a commitment to people development.

Some of the locations are showing signs to being too tight with the budget. Don't forget about infrastructure for too long. As the economy around the world slowly improves you will need to start investing in some of the longer term payback projects related to infrastructure or you will pay for it in the long term. It's hard to have those discussions right now.

Nov 25, 2014HR Director

First and foremost, thank you for the ten years of service! What a great accomplishment. Are you going to be one of the people we have for over 30 years? We have many employees who once they have ... More

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Albany, NY

I have been working at Saint-Gobain full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to grow. WCM is a great organizational tool that really helps projects flow seamlessly.

Cons

While WCM is great, the training could be better.

Great company to work for. They really care about people.

Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Northborough, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Northborough, MA

I have been working at Saint-Gobain full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The work-life balance is great. They are very flexible when it comes to family time. I don't ever miss things at home. The work place is very respectful, and you get to make your own career path; they will work with you to get you to your fullest potential.

Cons

If you are coming from a cut-throat American Corporate culture, it will take some adjustment. For example, the American practice of hire to fire doesn't happen at Saint-Gobain. So, if you need to hire 300 people to start a pilot, but only 50 to run it when things are good... you need a better plan.

Nov 4, 2014HR Director

It is so great to read your persepctive on your ability to have balance in your career and home with Saint-Gobain! We work very hard to ensure the culture supports this level of flexibility, where ... More

I love working for Saint-Gobain

Current Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor in Hoosick Falls, NY
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor in Hoosick Falls, NY

I have been working at Saint-Gobain full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The fact that Saint-Gobain is a global leader in many industries brings a completely different dynamic to your job as oppose to working for a small local business. Saint-Gobain invests into developing its employees and provides opportunities for professional and career growth.

Cons

A reasonable life-work balance is very difficult to maintain. There are very many days that you work 11+ hours. On the other hand, company supports you taking time for your family and personal matters.

slow paced

Current Employee - Production in Merrimack, NH
    Current Employee - Production in Merrimack, NH

I have been working at Saint-Gobain full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can not think of any that stand out. I have not worked for bad companies and this is not one either per say. Not a run from type anyway.

Cons

Poor Pension, and No employee stock options. You will not advance without a degree so if a production worker expect to stay such for career. No advancement even when one shows potential. I have seen this on a great many occasions of employee's being over looked just because they lack a degree. At times they poses the knowledge to do the job of the higher up but lack a chance to advance and learn beyond what they show. I understand degree for most Management but a 4 year or more for a supervisor that starts with very low pay with no bonus for hitting marks is hard to hire someone with skills and true knowledge. I myself try to stay unnoticed as I am a six sigma Master Black Belt as well as Lean. But choose to stay in present position."yes it was left off my resume for a reason" That does not mean I do not see others that have great potential if taken under in right direction. The only true downfall to the division is no foresight to see what is on the floor and taking the right employee and training for a true future within the company that would not only encourage other employee's but give encouragement for those that do not show it a reason to try harder.

Maybe start a Management or R&D training program for present hourly employee's. Promote from within even if no degree is had by a potential future Manager. Some times it is best to show how and train for moving up. Every place has those that think they have the stuff but do not. The concept is to mold them so they do and hold them accountable even when they do not grasp they are. As a whole it is a good company. However they do need to try harder to promote from within.

This could be a very good company to work for

I worked at Saint-Gobain as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked at the NRDC in Northborough, MA, the Saint-Gobain research facility for North America. There are a lot of very good people on all levels of the company, and I genuinely enjoyed my experience there. My supervisor was smart, and very clear in her ability to communicate her requirements.

Cons

It is *very* difficult to make it over the hump from the temp treadmill to full-time. I have been trying to hack this for a while now, and have yet to succeed.

There is a real disconnect between what research comes up with and what the factories make. Someone needs to figure out how to fix this, or the lack of response to good research could very well cause the division I worked for (which is already ailing) to tank completely.

Oct 6, 2014HR Director

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your opinion regarding Saint-Gobain, and especially the Research facility in Northboro, MA. We are proud of the environment we have created at the ... More

Large company, lots of autonomy

I have been working at Saint-Gobain

Pros

No micro-management and great benefits

Cons

Lack of coaching and professional development

Invest in developing young leaders

Oct 7, 2014HR Director

We appreciate your open, honest feedback. In fact, we have heard over the last two years about providing more development opportuntities and have made progress in this area.

Are you aware of
    ... More

Great employer

Current Employee - General Manager in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Saint-Gobain full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

international, good personal growth, good benefits

Cons

huge corporations are reacting slow

R&D Center.

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Northborough, MA
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Northborough, MA

I worked at Saint-Gobain full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The french owners treat their people well, compared to other companies in the U.S.
    Lots of internal opportunity.

Cons

They are slow to react to small changes, which is expected of a large company.
    They usually won't approach a market that is regarded as too small. But Size is relative. A few semi-autonomous units could find a real use here. Sometimes the market is small, because there is no one capable of developing it.
    As a result, SGC will pass up good potential, in order to be second or third comers to an already saturated market.

More effort to spin off smaller subsidiaries. Often a subsidiary is only spun off when they are ready formarket.
    I would prefer that they be spun off sooner, to give them the energy and motivation of a startup.

Aug 26, 2014HR Director

Thank you very much for taking the time to rate your experience with us in Northboro. We value the feedback from you and others.
    If there is anything specific to Northboro you would like to
    ... More