Saint-Gobain

Saint-Gobain Reviews

Updated Jul 12, 2014

Saint-Gobain Président-Directeur Général Pierre-André de Chalendar

Pierre-André de Chalendar

Pros
  • Reasonable work-life balance, reasonable pay(in 5 reviews)

• big company, reputation, business leader in almost all the business sector in which they are present(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor pay and dysfunctional management(in 3 reviews)

• Crappy vacation packages (for a French company no less(in 5 reviews)

National Sales Manager

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsVery structured organization which allows you to know where your responsibilities are focused. Friendly, can-do type people. Lots of exposure to various perspectives and ways of looking at challenges.

ConsAs a very structured organization, you are limited to some of your creative pursuits. Expenses can be very cumbersome, but all very reasonable request for documentation.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more constructive dissension when discussing objectives and goals.

Strong Safety Culture at Saint Gobain

Area Manager (Former Employee)

ProsNational and Global job opportunities are available, very mobile workforce. Benefits are standard, compensation is standard, time off policies are excellent as they offer more vacation than most companies as you gain experience. Excellent safety policies and focus on employee safety and health.

ConsVery large company, difficult to stand out and establish your own company or division culture. Lots of web site based management and monitoring of results and training which is impersonal but effective if you enjoy communicating via email or websites.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on personalizing employee management and policy management meaning more direct meetings and face time at the different sites and less electronic monitoring.

Purchasing manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBig company

No social benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more care of employees

Saint-Gobain HR Director responded to this review

Jun 10, 2014

Thank you for your feedback on your experience with Saint-Gobain. It really bothers me that you had such a bad experience with us. I sincerely wish you the best and thank you for taking the time to ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work! Very challenging and rewarding Big Company experience.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Northborough, MA

ProsThis is a fantastic place to work! Everyone is so helpful and friendly! They really know how to make a new person feel like part of the R&D Center. I had my doubts about joining so many PhDs, but the environment is wonderful.

The campus is well done with privacy and nature all around. The open concept floor plan really promotes collaboration amongst the groups, as well.

ConsSystems are a little behind the times in the United States. This is fixable, though and does not interfere with the creativity or results to the business units. It is more bhind the scenes that is impacted.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend the money on the infrastructure in the near term to make this an even better place to work!

Saint-Gobain HR Director responded to this review

May 1, 2014

Thank you for the positive feedback and we are happy to have you on the Team! In addition, the room for improvement is duly noted and thank you for taking the time to rate your experience.

Good company culture but antiquated

ProsGood work-life balance, friendly people

ConsOld fashioned, 2 weeks vacation for first 5 years

Tech heavy company that forgot the tech

ProsDecent salary, good health & wellness benefits

ConsSo far behind on technology that it hurts; takes forever to get the right tools to do your job, and half the time, you end up having to do it yourself without management backing until you prove that something works. By then you and the company are already 12-18 months behind where they could have been with a little bit of vision. Crappy vacation packages (for a French company no less!!!). They claim a good bonus package, but somehow they always find a way to not have it pay out.

Good for employees, not so good for contractors

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsEveryone is friendly and nice. I found many people who had the same interests and we had great conversations. Even though some of us were contractors we were invited to the company holiday party. I really enjoyed the outdoor track for mid-day walks outside, even though it was right next to 202.

ConsThe building really needs upgrading and updating. I couldn't see the sun from where I sat unless I stood up.

Solely Leadership Focus and Development

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Valley Forge, PA

ProsIt is amazing how many different areas the businesses span, from the Dallas Cowboys new stadium to materials for satellites and space station to the Liberty 1 building in New York. You can see where the products make a difference, making you proud to work for a company like this.

ConsManagement is only focused on leadership development, so if you are not considered leadership you will find very little support.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to put some effort into giving support and opportunities to non-management/leadership employees. It makes them feel like second rate employees and that they are not cared about or worth the time to assist and develop.

Saint-Gobain

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people. Steady company.

ConsNot a ton of upside.

A French company with French mentality

Research Associate (Former Employee) Northborough, MA

ProsOne of the global top 100 industrial company while boasting their leadership position in the products they sell. Focus on serving the building industry sector.

ConsEuropean based and narrow cultural diversity or acceptance. If you're not French, you're not much... No stock options in the US and only offer average benefit package.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and fair to the employees.

Worked for Saint-Gobain? Contribute to the Community!