Saint-Gobain

Updated October 12, 2014
3.4

Saint-Gobain Président-Directeur Général Pierre-André de Chalendar
Pierre-André de Chalendar

Pros
  • Reasonable work-life balance, reasonable pay (in 5 reviews)

• Big company that may potentially hold intracompany opportunities (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor pay and dysfunctional management (in 3 reviews)

• Low pay, minimal opportunities for professional development, shortsighted decision making, (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

slow paced

Current Employee - Production in Merrimack, NH
    Current Employee - Production in Merrimack, NH

I have been working at Saint-Gobain full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can not think of any that stand out. I have not worked for bad companies and this is not one either per say. Not a run from type anyway.

Cons

Poor Pension, and No employee stock options. You will not advance without a degree so if a production worker expect to stay such for career. No advancement even when one shows potential. I have seen this on a great many occasions of employee's being over looked just because they lack a degree. At times they poses the knowledge to do the job of the higher up but lack a chance to advance and learn beyond what they show. I understand degree for most Management but a 4 year or more for a supervisor that starts with very low pay with no bonus for hitting marks is hard to hire someone with skills and true knowledge. I myself try to stay unnoticed as I am a six sigma Master Black Belt as well as Lean. But choose to stay in present position."yes it was left off my resume for a reason" That does not mean I do not see others that have great potential if taken under in right direction. The only true downfall to the division is no foresight to see what is on the floor and taking the right employee and training for a true future within the company that would not only encourage other employee's but give encouragement for those that do not show it a reason to try harder.

Maybe start a Management or R&D training program for present hourly employee's. Promote from within even if no degree is had by a potential future Manager. Some times it is best to show how and train for moving up. Every place has those that think they have the stuff but do not. The concept is to mold them so they do and hold them accountable even when they do not grasp they are. As a whole it is a good company. However they do need to try harder to promote from within.

This could be a very good company to work for

I worked at Saint-Gobain as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked at the NRDC in Northborough, MA, the Saint-Gobain research facility for North America. There are a lot of very good people on all levels of the company, and I genuinely enjoyed my experience there. My supervisor was smart, and very clear in her ability to communicate her requirements.

Cons

It is *very* difficult to make it over the hump from the temp treadmill to full-time. I have been trying to hack this for a while now, and have yet to succeed.

There is a real disconnect between what research comes up with and what the factories make. Someone needs to figure out how to fix this, or the lack of response to good research could very well cause the division I worked for (which is already ailing) to tank completely.

Oct 6, 2014HR Director

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your opinion regarding Saint-Gobain, and especially the Research facility in Northboro, MA. We are proud of the environment we have created at the ... More

Large company, lots of autonomy

I have been working at Saint-Gobain

Pros

No micro-management and great benefits

Cons

Lack of coaching and professional development

Invest in developing young leaders

Oct 7, 2014HR Director

We appreciate your open, honest feedback. In fact, we have heard over the last two years about providing more development opportuntities and have made progress in this area.

Are you aware of
    ... More

Great employer

Current Employee - General Manager in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Saint-Gobain full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

international, good personal growth, good benefits

Cons

huge corporations are reacting slow

R&D Center.

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Northborough, MA
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Northborough, MA

I worked at Saint-Gobain full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The french owners treat their people well, compared to other companies in the U.S.
    Lots of internal opportunity.

Cons

They are slow to react to small changes, which is expected of a large company.
    They usually won't approach a market that is regarded as too small. But Size is relative. A few semi-autonomous units could find a real use here. Sometimes the market is small, because there is no one capable of developing it.
    As a result, SGC will pass up good potential, in order to be second or third comers to an already saturated market.

More effort to spin off smaller subsidiaries. Often a subsidiary is only spun off when they are ready formarket.
    I would prefer that they be spun off sooner, to give them the energy and motivation of a startup.

Aug 26, 2014HR Director

Thank you very much for taking the time to rate your experience with us in Northboro. We value the feedback from you and others.
    If there is anything specific to Northboro you would like to
    ... More

Great Place to work, HR is Toxic

I have been working at Saint-Gobain

Pros

It is a great place to work out in the businesses. However corporate is not a happy place. There are a lot of oppurtunities to succeed.

Cons

HR does not have the right leadership. The comp and benefits group is self distructive and is totally company focused instead of the employees. If you are going to work in HR please Google your management. You will see what I mean.

Oct 7, 2014HR Director

I recommend you get your manager involved and see if he/she can help you with your situation. I would normally encourage employees to talk to HR, but that doesn't seem to be the right advice in this ... More

National Sales Manager

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Saint-Gobain full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very structured organization which allows you to know where your responsibilities are focused. Friendly, can-do type people. Lots of exposure to various perspectives and ways of looking at challenges.

Cons

As a very structured organization, you are limited to some of your creative pursuits. Expenses can be very cumbersome, but all very reasonable request for documentation.

Allow more constructive dissension when discussing objectives and goals.

Strong Safety Culture at Saint Gobain

Former Employee - Area Manager
    Former Employee - Area Manager

I worked at Saint-Gobain full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

National and Global job opportunities are available, very mobile workforce. Benefits are standard, compensation is standard, time off policies are excellent as they offer more vacation than most companies as you gain experience. Excellent safety policies and focus on employee safety and health.

Cons

Very large company, difficult to stand out and establish your own company or division culture. Lots of web site based management and monitoring of results and training which is impersonal but effective if you enjoy communicating via email or websites.

Work on personalizing employee management and policy management meaning more direct meetings and face time at the different sites and less electronic monitoring.

Purchasing manager

I worked at Saint-Gobain (more than 5 years)

Pros

Big company
    Resources
    Possibility to learn
    Multicultural environment
    Mobility

Cons

Burocracy
    Bad atmosphere
    Bad organized
    Classist
    No social benefits

Take more care of employees

Jun 10, 2014HR Director

Thank you for your feedback on your experience with Saint-Gobain. It really bothers me that you had such a bad experience with us. I sincerely wish you the best and thank you for taking the time to ... More

Great place to work! Very challenging and rewarding Big Company experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northborough, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northborough, MA

I have been working at Saint-Gobain full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a fantastic place to work! Everyone is so helpful and friendly! They really know how to make a new person feel like part of the R&D Center. I had my doubts about joining so many PhDs, but the environment is wonderful.

The campus is well done with privacy and nature all around. The open concept floor plan really promotes collaboration amongst the groups, as well.

Cons

Systems are a little behind the times in the United States. This is fixable, though and does not interfere with the creativity or results to the business units. It is more bhind the scenes that is impacted.

Spend the money on the infrastructure in the near term to make this an even better place to work!

May 1, 2014HR Director

Thank you for the positive feedback and we are happy to have you on the Team! In addition, the room for improvement is duly noted and thank you for taking the time to rate your experience.