Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center

Great people

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Mishawaka, IN
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Mishawaka, IN

I have been working at Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center full-time

Pros

The people that work in the pharmacy for the most part are awesome. Very flexible when it comes to family crisis, requesting PTO, etc.

Cons

There is a lack of communication within the pharmacy staff on policy and procedures.

Communicate more effectively

Loved the people, disliked the system

Former Employee - Food Services
    Former Employee - Food Services

I worked at Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I really liked everyone who I worked with. Whenever I had a question, I felt comfortable asking anyone for the answer. I felt that everyone in the kitchen worked as a team very well, and when I left, I felt like I was leaving my family. The pay is very good compared to other jobs: $10.44. I was put on a job alone only when I felt comfortable and was assured if I was not comfortable, I could continue training; I was taught four positions. You get time and a half for working holidays, and if you work in the kitchen, your meals are $2.

Cons

I believe most people in this department are PRN - you work mornings, nights, weekends, every other holiday and get hardly any benefits. You are below part time, so you are accumulating no PTO and could get anywhere from 8 hours to 45 hours depending on the week. They say you can add more hours by learning more positions, but when I asked to learn various different positions, I was denied. They have a point system, which was a little confusing to me. For example, I was given two points because I was on probation, when I believed (as per the sign hanging up in the department) that I would get one. This was for calling off hours before the shift for having the flu (you're not supposed to come in to work with food for having this). I believed when I was hired that I would have enough hours to support myself, could learn more and more positions, and would be able to become benefited after several months; I learned that was not true.

Many opportunities!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good training, many different areas of specialization.

Cons

Large company owners; sometimes get lost in the shuffle of a large corporation.

Consider the people who are actually working in the trenches and make them feel respected and like they make or break the business, because they do!

Three months was too long

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Mishawaka, IN
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Mishawaka, IN

I worked at Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits were OK. That's all I have.

Cons

The moment when the upper management used the phrase "Leave your opinions at the door" during orientation I knew this place wasn't for me. I worked 10-12 hours a day on average when I was only to work 8. It may have just been the clinic I was at but I saw no real actions for improvement, considering the problem was the doctor. What is the point of having computer documentation if the doctor doesn't do anything in it?
    I was hired for my expertise and to share my knowledge on teamwork within the workplace, but my ideas were always rejected and the doctor questioned everything I did, even when I showed proof from sources such as the CDC stating what was correct.
    Be prepared to pray EVERYWHERE, regardless of what you believe.

Good and Bad just like everywhere else

Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Genuine care for their patients and employees for the most part. They have incredible benefits. Management tries their best to accommodate employees work/family life.

Cons

Just like everywhere else, they are cutting staff or working with as few as possible which places stress on employees and work loads. Training varies depending on the department. Some departments take it very seriously, others, not so much.

nice place to work

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Mishawaka, IN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Mishawaka, IN

I have been working at Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

teamwork, benefits, company values, goals, technology

Cons

opportunity for advancement, compensation, repetition,

This place is not what it says it is.

I worked at Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center

Pros

To work in a new facility. The place is beautiful and generally the infrastructure works.

Cons

Management is inept. They manage to control not to inspire. So many layers of incompetent managers. All of them proving the Peter Principle.

Stop trying to cover your own short comings and lead. So many of them are disconnected from the real world.

RN

I have been working at Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center full-time

Pros

Good education, invests in employees, diverse group of employees

Cons

Units are understaffed at times.

By far, the best place to be employed, period

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mishawaka, IN

Pros

1) Managment and upper management are supportive of us and our initiatives. They also recognize exceptional performance in associates and grow employees
    2) I feel like we have very modern, up-to-date equipment that is top of the line, and when needed, there is access to capital purchases to provide the state-of-the art
    3) The benefits packages are the best I've seen at any employer.
    4) The Electronic Health Record, and the IT services and applications are definitely the best in the country. Much attention is paid to process flows, work flows, and education of staff.
    5) Being part of a larger National network of hospitals is good because you can transfer to a new location if desired. Also, it seems like the larger corporation helps give direction on things and we are not always inventing things from scratch
    6) You can notice the Catholic influence in the way that we dedicate effort to the poor and uninsured. There is always attention to make sure the mission is truly the focus.

Cons

I cannot honestly think of a single con, this place is where I want to spend the rest of my career!

Keep following the Studer training, as that makes employees more confident in Leadership and keeps everyone in touch

I have worked at SJRMC for over 13 years - won't work at any other hospital in the area.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mishawaka, IN

Pros

Faith-based; caring people; committed employees; I work with the best team & have a great manager.

Cons

As with all big companies, sometimes the communication can be a bit slow.

Continue to have Town Hall Meetings and remember there are people behind those numbers.