Saint Louis Public Schools

Updated Jun 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dr. Kelvin Adams

My experience at the St. Louis Public Schools has been challenging and rewarding.

Building Substitute Teacher (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe best reason to work for St. Louis Public Schools is working with the staff and providing a quality education for the youth.

ConsDealing with a variety of backgrounds and administration guidelines can be a challenge when working with the youth.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is to get into a field that isn't considered a job to you, but something you would do even if you wasn't getting paid for it. Something you enjoy.

Extremely challenging experience

Classroom Teacher (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsThirteen of my 26 years were rewarding with a true sense that I made a difference. I was fortunate enough to be on a team that worked together and had the children's best interest in mind. We had an excellent principal that listened, actually listened, to our needs and suggestions. It was a sad day when she retired.

ConsTwo of the 9 principals that I worked with were racially prejudice. Positive evaluations were based on their "homegirl" circle.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere was a major disconnect between "downtown" and the daily needs of teachers. Prime example: we had 1 ancient copy machine for 35 teachers. It worked about 40% of the time. I'm guessing that the downtown machines were newer, color available and worked 100% of the time.
    I have so many "suggestions" but I offered them when I was an employee before retirement. None were accepted, tried , many never considered. But, I wasn't one of the "homegirls".

SLPS

Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsPublic entity making progressive gains. See the website for more information about the climate, cluture and growth of the district.

ConsPublic entity with multitude of challenges. See the website for more information about the climate, cluture and growth of the district.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Saint Louis Public Schools Sucks

Science Teacher (Former Employee)

ProsChallenging,
    Good Experience
    Diverse Students
    Diverse Teachers

ConsVery Political
    No Support Form Administrators
    No Discipline
    Have to know or be sleeping with someone to get your foot in the door or to get a higher position

Advice to Senior ManagementStop acting like you forgot where you came from. You were once a teacher also. Just because you are an administrator, does not give you the right to treat teachers like crap

They don't care about the kids.

Teacher (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsOnly reason to work here is if you want a challenge, are here to help kids, and don't care about your job security.

ConsNo resources, principles and people who work downtown don't know how to do their job, nobody keeps track of paperwork (not that it will ever be correct anyway), kids get shortchanged every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of people who can't do their job and attract people who are able to do things right.

I enjoy working here

Special Education Teacher (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsAdministration is really nice and mostly supportive

ConsSometimes you'll come across a power driven administrator that will make your experience as a teacher awful.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the teachers, and please don't forget what it was like when you were in the classroom.

I like it here. It's not ideal, but it is what it is.

ProsI love the work hours. Teachers arrive 10 min before the students and leave 10 after the students leave if you need to. The environment is typical of a district trying to move the students academically. Most Principals are nice. I've had some women who are not so nice. I try to avoid all female principals.

ConsFemale principals. They are almost always a nightmare.

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink putting in some snow days into the calendar, rethink how we are paid. Whatever our salaries are should simply be spread across how many pay periods teachers get. This magical system that no one but HR can understand is frustrated. It just seems it would be simple to spread the pay. Oh, and Escrow, now that we are going back to work so early in August now, consider taking

SLPS is a difficult place to work

Elementary Principal (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsOpportunity to help children daily

ConsA very negative climate with little trust

Advice to Senior ManagementShare information with staff and be honest

Administrative team out of touch with "classroom reality"!

Principal (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsCentral Office Staff was wonderful, and very easy to work with.

ConsUnfortunately, serving an inner-city urban school, many CONS are created from within. Most schools are under-achieving, and students and families tend to be VERY transient.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake an effort to spend more MEANINGFUL and PRODUCTIVE times in each individual building.

A School District in Dire Straights

Teacher (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsA chance to work with underprivileged children and contribute to their growth and development, possibly making a difference in a child's life.

ConsFailing district
    Extremely political
    Espousing the virtues of doing what is best for children, but not really following through
    Low pay compared to county districts
    Tendency to not give step increases nor raises, e.g. should have been on step K but was only on step G
    Far too many discipline problems in the classrooms
    More time spent dealing with disruption and discipline than teaching
    Little administrative support
    Inordinate amount of students with IEPs
    No district-wide support/plan for severe behavior problems
    Little parent support
    Few basic classroom supplies provided (construction paper, tag board, brads, paper clips, etc.)
    Constant curriculum changes depending on who is in power
    Horrendous working conditions
    Unaccredited school district taken over by the state of Missouri
    Students are unable to make AYP on high stakes state assessment

Advice to Senior ManagementIn terms of what is wrong with the district and why it is failing, focus more on administrators and less on teachers

Worked for Saint Louis Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Saint Louis Public Schools reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Saint Louis Public Schools CEO Dr. Kelvin Adams. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Saint Louis Public Schools employees.