Saint Louis Public Schools Reviews

3.3
Dr. Kelvin Adams

1. I miss working there!

I have been working at Saint Louis Public Schools

Pros

The professional development offered by the school district was awesome! There was a lot of opportunity to learn about new technology and software programs for FREE! Professional development was offered to teachers and other staff as well. Most of my coworkers were awesome too and always willing to offer a helping hand. Pre-school salaries were awesome especially compared to other states!

Cons

There was too much emphasis on testing scores and not the development of the whole child, especially young children. The classroom size usually consisted of 25 to 30 children with no assistant. This was okay for older children, but for grades Pre-K to 3rd grade, a smaller class size would be more effective.

Lower the class size.

2. It's a roller coaster ride.

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Saint Louis Public Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers have been wonderful to work with and very supportive. For the most part the kids are good and the parents participate in their learning. There are great benefits and a wonderful retirement plan. Personal time and sick time offered each year.

Cons

There has not been a pay raise in several years. The curriculum is constantly changing, so as soon as you learn something, it changes. Supplies are scarce.

Listen to the requests of the teachers. Pay them what they deserve. Come visit a classroom and see what it's like to be in our shoes.

3. Teacher

Former Employee - Teacher in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Teacher in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Saint Louis Public Schools full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company allowed much flexibility, a lot of sick days and decent insurance is provided

Cons

The HR department is a mess. The schools are in bad physical condition and the salary isn't worth the headache

5. Working with the St Louis Public Schools is rewarding.

Current Employee - Building Substitute Teacher in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Saint Louis Public Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The children are awesome! They are funny, bright and they keep you young. The staff is genuinely concerned about the children learning and staying safe.

Cons

Substitute workers don't have the option of enrolling for benefits.

Offer benefits to substitute teachers. That's a good way of ensuring that you have people available when you need them.

6. Great Starter Company for new teachers

Current Employee - PBIS Administrator in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - PBIS Administrator in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Saint Louis Public Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co workers and very helpful. The children will love you if you love them
    Excellent environment

Cons

Lowest paying company in the state

Value your employees

7. Enjoyable experience while working at the St. Louis Public Schools

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Saint Louis Public Schools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Helping to ensure the students to get the best education available . The co-workers and management were very committed to the mission on focusing on the kids.

Cons

It is a school district that should benchmark after more successful programs. The teachers need to focus on the students learning the academics rather than focusing on the test scores. .

Treat your employees with more respect.

8. Extremely challenging experience

Former Employee - Classroom Teacher in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Classroom Teacher in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Saint Louis Public Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Thirteen of my 26 years were rewarding with a true sense that I made a difference. I was fortunate enough to be on a team that worked together and had the children's best interest in mind. We had an excellent principal that listened, actually listened, to our needs and suggestions. It was a sad day when she retired.

Cons

Two of the 9 principals that I worked with were racially prejudice. Positive evaluations were based on their "homegirl" circle.

There was a major disconnect between "downtown" and the daily needs of teachers. Prime example: we had 1 ancient copy machine for 35 teachers. It worked about 40% of the time. I'm guessing that the downtown machines were newer, color available and worked 100% of the time.
    I have so many "suggestions" but I offered them when I was an employee before retirement. None were accepted, tried , many never considered. But, I wasn't one of the "homegirls".

9. My experience at the St. Louis Public Schools has been challenging and rewarding.

Current Employee - Building Substitute Teacher in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Saint Louis Public Schools part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work for St. Louis Public Schools is working with the staff and providing a quality education for the youth.

Cons

Dealing with a variety of backgrounds and administration guidelines can be a challenge when working with the youth.

My advice is to get into a field that isn't considered a job to you, but something you would do even if you wasn't getting paid for it. Something you enjoy.

10. SLPS

Current Employee - Coordinator in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Saint Louis Public Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Public entity making progressive gains. See the website for more information about the climate, cluture and growth of the district.

Cons

Public entity with multitude of challenges. See the website for more information about the climate, cluture and growth of the district.

11. Saint Louis Public Schools Sucks

Former Employee - Science Teacher in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Science Teacher in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Saint Louis Public Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging,
    Good Experience
    Diverse Students
    Diverse Teachers

Cons

Very Political
    No Support Form Administrators
    No Discipline
    Have to know or be sleeping with someone to get your foot in the door or to get a higher position

Stop acting like you forgot where you came from. You were once a teacher also. Just because you are an administrator, does not give you the right to treat teachers like crap