Saint Louis University Hospital

2.8

CEO

ok job

I have been working at Saint Louis University Hospital

Pros

this job has great co workers

Cons

unfiortunately there are many changes happening

I worked there for almost ten years and they were basically good ones.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Saint Louis University Hospital

Pros

I felt that there was an open door policy with administration. I worked as part of a team with everyone taking care of the patient. Departments worked well together for the benefit of the patient. Decent benefits, salary good. Good work hours except during specific projects.

Cons

During the last two years things started changing around the hospital. The benefits got worse, moral was down, good solid staff were laid off. There was the essence of team, but no substance of team for taking care of patients. I will, you will, not as a team we will. Staff got reprimanded for speaking out at open forum Town Hall Meetings with the Administration. In certain positions, overtime was expected. If there was a project, more OT on top of that. Many weeks were 50 -60 hr weeks.

Listen to staff. Do not reprimand staff for respectfully speaking out, at times that should be protected freedom of speech. If they are incorrect. Correct the fallacy professionally. Freely give out compliments./ POP's Recognize natural leadership and encourage, guide, teach that person.

Staff nurse

I have been working at Saint Louis University Hospital

Pros

Great experience, great people, great doctors. Ability to work in high level ICU or level I trauma ER as a new grad.

Cons

Constant change and restructuring of middle management. Has become very schedule unfriendly.

This was a difficult place to work

Former Employee - RN BSN in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - RN BSN in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Saint Louis University Hospital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Many opportunities for overtime. That was really the only plus that you could work as much as you wanted and they offered retention bonuses

Cons

Difficult patients and family and poorly organized. Lots of travel nurses and high turnover. Very sick patients who are very demanding.

Lower the nurse patient ratio and increase the tech supply to the floor. That will enable you to keep staff.

Nightmare

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Saint Louis University Hospital

Pros

The only pros about this hospital were the actual patients and the cafeteria food was pretty good. Other then those two things I can't think of anything other pros.

Cons

The floor I was on was severely understaffed as is most of the hospital. The nurse to patient ratio was unsafe for the amount of care I was required to give. Most of the time my floor was without a health care tech; so not only did I have to fulfill my nursing duties, but I was also required to do tech work for a large amount of patients. Managers are not concerned about staff happiness nor do they are to help with staff’s concerned. I worked there for a couple months and the experience has been awful. Knowing how this hospital operates I wouldn’t recommend this hospital to anyone.

Listen to your staff. They are the eyes and ears on the floor while you sit in your office. When they have concerns take them seriously and don't make excuses about problems. Insted, try to fix them.

Saint Louis University Hospital Photos

Resident Workspace
Exterior of original hospital tower

+ Add Photo