Saint Louis University Hospital

3.2
CEO

1. SLUH

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Saint Louis University Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff, from Attendings and Residents to Nurses and Care Partners, are extremely professional, knowledgeable and caring in their treatment of patients and communicating with families. The work atmosphere is great and feels like a team environment. Research and academic minded patient care standards Excellent benefits and flexible scheduling, good shift differentials

Cons

Quality of some support staff positions is questionable (morals, integrity, professionalism) Advancement opportunities are seemingly limited Uncertainty of changes associated with transition between ownership

RN

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

The pay was great. There's plenty opportunities for overtime.

Cons

Patient losd can be very challenging at times

3. Tenet employee

I have been working at Saint Louis University Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked 4 days a week and was considered full time with just 32 hours a week. Doctors in my department are easy to work with.

Cons

If you are a suck up you will do great here!! If you have an opinion don't bother. If you want to improve your work atmosphere or have an issue with another employee or want adequate work space then you should continue looking. Don't stop in to fill out an application unless you are lazy because if you're not then the frustration you will feel while you take on all their responsibilities will most likely put you over the top and want to walk out the door. It's a lot to handle on a day to day basis. I do like the patient population. Very thankful for all you do and the doctor's in my department are great.

Advice to Management

Listen when someone from your department tries to tell you about issue that keep coming up before all of your good employees leave and the lazy, ignorant ones stay. Allow opportunity for growth...which at this moment there is none in my department.

5. Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

great place to work, great staff, good supportive management

Cons

I have been here since June and can not speak to any cons so far so good

6. Ok place to work

Pros

Double bonus OT is always available.

Cons

Poor staffing, always short. Management turnover is high

Advice to Management

Get it together

7. I worked there for almost ten years and they were basically good ones.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

I felt that there was an open door policy with administration. I worked as part of a team with everyone taking care of the patient. Departments worked well together for the benefit of the patient. Decent benefits, salary good. Good work hours except during specific projects.

Cons

During the last two years things started changing around the hospital. The benefits got worse, moral was down, good solid staff were laid off. There was the essence of team, but no substance of team for taking care of patients. I will, you will, not as a team we will. Staff got reprimanded for speaking out at open forum Town Hall Meetings with the Administration. In certain positions, overtime was expected. If there was a project, more OT on top of that. Many weeks were 50 -60 hr weeks.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff. Do not reprimand staff for respectfully speaking out, at times that should be protected freedom of speech. If they are incorrect. Correct the fallacy professionally. Freely give out compliments./ POP's Recognize natural leadership and encourage, guide, teach that person.

8. ok job

Pros

this job has great co workers

Cons

unfiortunately there are many changes happening

9. Staff nurse

Pros

Great experience, great people, great doctors. Ability to work in high level ICU or level I trauma ER as a new grad.

Cons

Constant change and restructuring of middle management. Has become very schedule unfriendly.

10. This was a difficult place to work

Former Employee - RN BSN in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - RN BSN in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Saint Louis University Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many opportunities for overtime. That was really the only plus that you could work as much as you wanted and they offered retention bonuses

Cons

Difficult patients and family and poorly organized. Lots of travel nurses and high turnover. Very sick patients who are very demanding.

Advice to Management

Lower the nurse patient ratio and increase the tech supply to the floor. That will enable you to keep staff.

Nightmare

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

The only pros about this hospital were the actual patients and the cafeteria food was pretty good. Other then those two things I can't think of anything other pros.

Cons

The floor I was on was severely understaffed as is most of the hospital. The nurse to patient ratio was unsafe for the amount of care I was required to give. Most of the time my floor was without a health care tech; so not only did I have to fulfill my nursing duties, but I was also required to do tech work for a large amount of patients. Managers are not concerned about staff happiness nor do they are to help with staff’s concerned. I worked there for a couple months and the experience has been awful. Knowing how this hospital operates I wouldn’t recommend this hospital to anyone.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. They are the eyes and ears on the floor while you sit in your office. When they have concerns take them seriously and don't make excuses about problems. Insted, try to fix them.

RSS Feed </> Embed