Saint Luke's Health System

Saint Luke's Health System Reviews

Updated Apr 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Melinda Estes, M.D., M.B.A.

A Learning and Growing Experience

EInformation Associate (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Saint Luke's Health System part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey are a non for profit health system
They take extreme care of their patients, and their employees

ConsWith the recent changes in health care, their are some cuts that are being made in positions and in salary raises and all other necessary budgets. But you will find that at any health care system.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn a large system such as Saint Luke's it can be difficult to keep in mind that this system and every employee under it, are one team. If we think like a team, we act as a team, and we will accomplish outstanding services.

Saint Luke's Hospital of KC

I have been working at Saint Luke's Health System full-time

ProsThere are some great people that work there, though they are few and far between.

ConsThis review is only for SLH of KC, not the other sites as they are quite different.

Administration only cares about the bottom dollar. They cut a lot of jobs in 2012, costing patient care. Instead of cutting jobs from administration (which is fat) they cut clinical providers like social work, pharmacy, and nursing, causing burnout from departments being short staffed. What administration says and what they do are two very different things. Finally, people that should not be in healthcare either for unprofessional conduct, or poor knowledge base are just shuffled around the institution instead of remediated or terminated, which fuels a culture of mediocrity and frustration.
Most employed there are from Kansas City and trained there. If you are from another institution coming in, you are shunned to the point where want to leave. The group I worked for was excellent, but we were not allowed to practice in the manner we wanted to because of administration. Finally, I was grossly underpaid. In fact, most of the RNs and mid levels there are which is why most of the good ones end up leaving and going to a competitor.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay, cut costs by cutting pay and bonuses of the higher management, which is often superfluous.

Ok place to work, undergoing changes

I have been working at Saint Luke's Health System

ProsProvide good healthcare to patients

ConsManagement is constantly changing their direction

A good organization undergoing significant transformation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Saint Luke's Health System full-time

ProsRock-solid foundation of more than 130 years.
Phenomenal patient satisfaction at its major facilities.
Strong financials.
Good reputation, though not as good as it once was.
Some very strong clinical programs.

ConsA small cadre of physicians who are legends in their own minds.
Arguably on the decline relative to the life-cycle of the organization. Facing very strong competition.
Culture may be changing.

Good work environment

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Saint Luke's Health System full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompetitive salary, strong company, large health system.

ConsVery political management, expensive healthcare insurance, only 6 hours PTO per pay period

Advice to Senior ManagementBe assertive do not pick favorites

Good employer with great, affordable benefits.

Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Saint Luke's Health System full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery stable company with a long-term financial stability plan. Great, affordable benefits with added premium differential for participating in company's wellness options. Great focus on teamwork, and continuous quality improvement.

ConsPay and added "bonuses" are extremely variable between departments. Opportunities for continuing education are minimal for certain clinical departments. A high priority and favoritism is shown for more high-demand departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer continuing education opportunities to all departments; focus on parity in pay across the spectrum

Pretty great place to work

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

ProsHelping patients, flexible schedule, caring management and great HR department. On site child care that is FABULOUS!

ConsBudget cuts for focus 2105.(this is affecting all hospitals across the nation)

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. I have had great experiences.

Typical large employer, but good health insurance.

Administrative Assistant to Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Saint Luke's Health System full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits, good health insurance, lunchtime is paid for.

ConsDepends on who you work for as to whether you get good raises. Worked in the Executive Office as Administrative Assistant. If you're an under-functioner at work, your job is safe. If you're an over-functioner, you'll get all the additional work they couldn't get their under-functioning assistants to do. Execs don't handle employee issues... just pile work on others until they burn out.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the people getting the work done. Deal with the under-functioning employees and require more from them instead of avoiding issues and tolerating the behavior. You're losing good people.

Know your limits, set your boundaries.

RN () (Current Employee)

I have been working at Saint Luke's Health System full-time for more than a year

ProsGood coworkers (most of them), flexible scheduling, great benefits package.

ConsManagers will absolutely, unabashedly bleed you dry. Give them an inch..

Advice to Senior ManagementYou won't keep great employees if you dump on them because you cater to the squeaky wheels. That is how you burn out (and lose) the hard workers. Open your eyes and listen to your staff.

Great place to work

Physical Therapist (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Saint Luke's Health System part-time for more than a year

Prosvery flexible place to work

Consno cons to report on.

Advice to Senior Managementno advice for management.

Worked for Saint Luke's Health System? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Saint Luke's Health System reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Saint Luke's Health System CEO Melinda Estes, M.D., M.B.A. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by Saint Luke's Health System employees.