Saint Thomas Health Reviews

2.6
CEO

1. Medical Laboratory Intern

I worked at Saint Thomas Health

Pros

Very friendly staff, had frequent parties for birthdays and occasions. Overall atmosphere was pretty good. High Volume lab. New instrumentation. Wide variety of testing of specialty testing. Great overall experience.

Cons

I really couldn't find anything negative to say about this facility. I really loved the staff that was there. Everyone was very nice and seemed to get along very well.

2. RN-Med Surg

Former Employee - Rn-med Surg
    Former Employee - Rn-med Surg

I worked at Saint Thomas Health

Pros

The physicians were great to work with, they respected and trusted the nurses assessments of what was happening to the pts.

Cons

Heavy pt load, 8 pts for one nurse is too much. You can get things done but if something arises you don't have time to fully deal with it.

Advice to Management

No flexibility in scheduling, having set weekends were difficult to change or switch.

Poor mangement

Current Employee - Nurse in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Nurse in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Saint Thomas Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Location -- close to Smyrna

Cons

Management is only concerned for the dollar and not the long term employee.

Advice to Management

Keep people longer by treating them better.

5. Very good place to work.

I worked at Saint Thomas Health

Pros

Wonderful people to work with

Cons

Salary not competitive similar companies in the same field

Advice to Management

Look at other large companies and be competitive in salaries

Former Registrar at Saint Thomas West

Former Employee - Registrar in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Registrar in Nashville, TN

I worked at Saint Thomas Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits for part- employee as well as full time, coworkers helpful and have a family type environment.

Cons

Long hours and not much leeway on needing to schedule time off, lack of communication from management, very poor leadership, training is nonexistent, company is only worried about bottom line, treats lower level employees very poorly. Some of the nursing staff are really good people, but there are also many who could use brush up on patient care and people skills. I would not want to go here as a employee or patient by any means.

Advice to Management

Actually, care about your employees and maybe your turnover rate would not be so high.

Great co-workers!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Saint Thomas Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is great teamwork among co workers on my unit. Staffing ratios could be better. Compared to many these days--the benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Management typically cares about profit more than anything else. Nurses should not be forced to wear white! It shows all the dirt.

Advice to Management

Give more positive feedback to your employees. Value the people who have been there through thick and thin. Pay them more! It will be cheaper to keep staff, rather than to pay for for training due to high turnover. Think outside the box! Listen to your nurses. Without nurses and other staff, the docs and hospital wouldn't be able to function. Show some appreciation to your staff who work odd hours--not just those who work mon through fri 8-5.

8. It was a very negative exp when management changed n accession health came on board

Former Employee - Nurse in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Nurse in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Saint Thomas Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice/new office when I started there, plenty of space until they added a lot of doctors plus rented out spaces (I hear a lot of the docs have left even after I did), so there may be back to lots of space, which is nice, good lab with great phlebotomist, some good doctors, some employees are there to work/help, good location

Cons

There's lots of challenges, cliques, lazy uncaring people/management just like at every big company it seems these days. Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians! If you're in the mgr. clique you'll have it made, if not good luck! Lots of game playing, not enough working to take care of the patients like it should be. They want the doc's to see more patients in less time, yet they're always talking about patient satisfaction being so important. It's not, it's all about the all mighty dollar. It's a shame because they have a nice office, great location, and some good employees. They could be a positive influence for the patient's and community, but someone made some poor choices about who to get involved with. If we're lucky someone in charge will realize this and change it before it's too late (if it isn't already). Don't have a lot of hope if the upper management doesn't figure out what's going so wrong and why so many doctors/nurses keep leaving. I'm not sure that they don't realize that's not normal?

Advice to Management

It's not normal to have such a high turn over rate, especially the provider's! If you want to continue to provide care around here, you probably want to figure out what's going on. You could also listen when you have those exit interviews, otherwise why bother having them?

Negativity Abounds!! Apply elsewhere!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Saint Thomas Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wellness Center for working out is fabulous and so is the staff! That was the only positive experience I had during my employment.

Cons

No training was provided and no processes were in place. I was told to figure things out on my own, yet provided with no resources on where to get info. Management is scattered and very disorganized. Execs place too much responsibility on managers. Managers are overloaded with duties and cannot fulfill expectations or accomplish goals.

Patient and Employee Satisfaction

Current Employee - Information Systems in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Information Systems in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Saint Thomas Health full-time

Pros

Great Emphasis on Patient Satisfaction. STH seems to be wroking toward a focus on patient experience.

Cons

Emphasis on employees satisfaction is not as strong as a push for patient satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Patient satisfaction and employees' satisfaction goes hand in hand. If you must focus on any of the two, focus on both - no way around it.

Way too many constant, unjustified changes for it to provide the care they claim to offer

Current Employee - Clerical Office Staff in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Clerical Office Staff in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Saint Thomas Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a few really caring people working for this corporation. There are a few lower-level managers who seem to care personally about the employees, although their hands are tied too much for them to do much helpful. The pay is not too bad, I guess, at least to start with.

Cons

Things are changing way too much--nurses are leaving, doctors are leaving. There are way too many TnCare patients, while we employees are being blamed for the company's money problems. They lay off staff while spending millions on a New, unnecessary computer system (that we were never consulted about), then complain that we are just doing a good enough job to keep the doctors and nurses happy. Managers only talk to some of us when they're complaining, but they never seem to honestly praise us. Doctors and nurses fail to do what they promise the patients they'll do, but complain about us for things that are their fault. Morale is VERY low and there are no signs of it improving. Managers are veyr discriminatory and dishonest--they don't always mean what they say, but we never know when they do and when they don't.

Advice to Management

The peons who do the work need to be consulted about changes. We need to be told why things are happening, and we need to NOT be told to lie (like why certain doctors are out so much, or why certain employees are gone). You have rules in a handbook, but you don't treat everyone fairly--you discriminate against certain employees in favor of others. You have your favorites, but the rest of us despise that. Your managers need to start praising employees on a personal level, FREQUENTLY, and take some of their negative, complaining attitudes back home. There shouldn't be these favorites--those who get away with things that the rest of us don't get away with. And you need to stop spending money on things like new letters on the building when we can't even get the uniforms that you promised us (after deciding to make us wear).

RSS Feed </> Embed