Saint Thomas Health

Updated October 6, 2014
Updated October 6, 2014
2.4

CEO

Very good place to work.

I worked at Saint Thomas Health

Pros

Wonderful people to work with

Cons

Salary not competitive similar companies in the same field

Look at other large companies and be competitive in salaries

Former Registrar at Saint Thomas West

Former Employee - Registrar in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Registrar in Nashville, TN

I worked at Saint Thomas Health part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent benefits for part- employee as well as full time, coworkers helpful and have a family type environment.

Cons

Long hours and not much leeway on needing to schedule time off, lack of communication from management, very poor leadership, training is nonexistent, company is only worried about bottom line, treats lower level employees very poorly. Some of the nursing staff are really good people, but there are also many who could use brush up on patient care and people skills. I would not want to go here as a employee or patient by any means.

Actually, care about your employees and maybe your turnover rate would not be so high.

Great co-workers!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Saint Thomas Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is great teamwork among co workers on my unit. Staffing ratios could be better. Compared to many these days--the benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Management typically cares about profit more than anything else. Nurses should not be forced to wear white! It shows all the dirt.

Give more positive feedback to your employees. Value the people who have been there through thick and thin. Pay them more! It will be cheaper to keep staff, rather than to pay for for training due to high turnover. Think outside the box! Listen to your nurses. Without nurses and other staff, the docs and hospital wouldn't be able to function. Show some appreciation to your staff who work odd hours--not just those who work mon through fri 8-5.

It was a very negative exp when management changed n accession health came on board

Former Employee - Nurse in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Nurse in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Saint Thomas Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice/new office when I started there, plenty of space until they added a lot of doctors plus rented out spaces (I hear a lot of the docs have left even after I did), so there may be back to lots of space, which is nice, good lab with great phlebotomist, some good doctors, some employees are there to work/help, good location

Cons

There's lots of challenges, cliques, lazy uncaring people/management just like at every big company it seems these days. Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians! If you're in the mgr. clique you'll have it made, if not good luck! Lots of game playing, not enough working to take care of the patients like it should be. They want the doc's to see more patients in less time, yet they're always talking about patient satisfaction being so important. It's not, it's all about the all mighty dollar. It's a shame because they have a nice office, great location, and some good employees. They could be a positive influence for the patient's and community, but someone made some poor choices about who to get involved with. If we're lucky someone in charge will realize this and change it before it's too late (if it isn't already). Don't have a lot of hope if the upper management doesn't figure out what's going so wrong and why so many doctors/nurses keep leaving. I'm not sure that they don't realize that's not normal?

It's not normal to have such a high turn over rate, especially the provider's! If you want to continue to provide care around here, you probably want to figure out what's going on. You could also listen when you have those exit interviews, otherwise why bother having them?

A Dysfunctional Sweatshop

Former Employee - Field Technician in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Field Technician in Nashville, TN

I worked at Saint Thomas Health as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Paychecks were regular and on time; Easy to find parking in the morning; Working hours were manageable; Plenty of work to do.

Cons

Low pay; immature co-workers with negative attitudes; Micro management is the norm throughout the company;

If you value your dignity and self respect, you may want to consider other opportunities.

Stop changing priorities every 15 minutes; be honest with employees about goals and expectations; practice non-biased treatment of your staff.

Negativity Abounds!! Apply elsewhere!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Saint Thomas Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Wellness Center for working out is fabulous and so is the staff! That was the only positive experience I had during my employment.

Cons

No training was provided and no processes were in place. I was told to figure things out on my own, yet provided with no resources on where to get info. Management is scattered and very disorganized. Execs place too much responsibility on managers. Managers are overloaded with duties and cannot fulfill expectations or accomplish goals.

Patient and Employee Satisfaction

Current Employee - Information Systems in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Information Systems in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Saint Thomas Health full-time

Pros

Great Emphasis on Patient Satisfaction. STH seems to be wroking toward a focus on patient experience.

Cons

Emphasis on employees satisfaction is not as strong as a push for patient satisfaction.

Patient satisfaction and employees' satisfaction goes hand in hand. If you must focus on any of the two, focus on both - no way around it.

Way too many constant, unjustified changes for it to provide the care they claim to offer

Current Employee - Clerical Office Staff in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Clerical Office Staff in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Saint Thomas Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a few really caring people working for this corporation. There are a few lower-level managers who seem to care personally about the employees, although their hands are tied too much for them to do much helpful. The pay is not too bad, I guess, at least to start with.

Cons

Things are changing way too much--nurses are leaving, doctors are leaving. There are way too many TnCare patients, while we employees are being blamed for the company's money problems. They lay off staff while spending millions on a New, unnecessary computer system (that we were never consulted about), then complain that we are just doing a good enough job to keep the doctors and nurses happy. Managers only talk to some of us when they're complaining, but they never seem to honestly praise us. Doctors and nurses fail to do what they promise the patients they'll do, but complain about us for things that are their fault. Morale is VERY low and there are no signs of it improving. Managers are veyr discriminatory and dishonest--they don't always mean what they say, but we never know when they do and when they don't.

The peons who do the work need to be consulted about changes. We need to be told why things are happening, and we need to NOT be told to lie (like why certain doctors are out so much, or why certain employees are gone). You have rules in a handbook, but you don't treat everyone fairly--you discriminate against certain employees in favor of others. You have your favorites, but the rest of us despise that. Your managers need to start praising employees on a personal level, FREQUENTLY, and take some of their negative, complaining attitudes back home. There shouldn't be these favorites--those who get away with things that the rest of us don't get away with. And you need to stop spending money on things like new letters on the building when we can't even get the uniforms that you promised us (after deciding to make us wear).

If I had had a crystal ball, I would have left years ago, before Ascension health acquired Baptist Hospital.

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Nashville, TN

I worked at Saint Thomas Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and retirement package. Still a great bunch of people who have worked for a very long time there and it is very easy to establish a family atmosphere there...outstanding patient care. These opinions based on Baptist Hospital policy that was tried and true.

Cons

As soon as Ascension Health acquired the hospital (and the name changed), everything changed. The level of patient care was lowered but not because of lack of caring...because of more emphasis on the almighty dollar at the expense of patient care.

Open your eyes and listen to the workers who actually do the brunt of the work. Play undercover boss for a week in all departments and get a taste of how the work environment has changed and not for the better. I keep in touch with former co workers there and honestly it's as if watching a train wreck in slow motion. To have an institution that stood for half a century and delivered more babies than any other hospital in the southeast and see it slowly being transformed into a cost liability. One of the main problems is Accretive Inc who is allowed to 'run the place in the ground' with no supervision whatsoever.