Saipem America Reviews

15 reviews filtered by
2.7
Mauro Piasere

Good place

I have been working at Saipem America full-time (less than a year)

Pros

International culture, family feel, International reletionship

Cons

no downside to notify upon

It's some experience

I worked at Saipem America

Pros

I was able to get a lot of exposure to high complexity work that I normally wouldn't have gotten a chance to see at another company. The people at the ground level are great, and they work hard to keep each other afloat. My supervisor let me work independently and trusted me to do what needed to be done.

Cons

The company has no internal pay structure, and they pay far, far below market. Raises, on the whole, aren't great, except for a few notable exceptions. there is very little feedback regarding work performance, and if you ask questions, you will be met with extremely harsh replies.There's very little training and attempts to get training through HR are difficult, mostly due to overly complicated internal processes. In general, procedures really bog down your ability to get anything done. This company is extremely political, and corporate alternates between completely ignoring the Houston office and breathing down their necks. There is also some extremely naked sexism and racism among people in management positions. While there are, in theory, mechanisms to report this behavior, most people will tell you stories about others who have filed complaints and were fired shortly thereafter. It's extremely hard to get information from people because open communication isn't particularly valued here. Also, they clock your work week to the minute. I get it, but we're all adults here. There's a huge emphasis on using expats in management positions, and virtually no upward mobility for most local hires (although there are a few notable exceptions).

Invest in your employees. Don't treat them like children. Pay your employees better. There is a culture of both fear and boredom. You guys need to find ways to improve morale quickly, or you will continue losing people.

3. Good work experience

Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Saipem America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Multiple varied and interesting projects.

Cons

No telecommuting option. Sometimes office politics were problematic.

5. Great experience so far

I have been working at Saipem America

Pros

Invaluable experience
    Friendly coworkers
    Great opportunities
    Progress in work environment
    ...

Cons

Salary bellow market
    Training
    Inter office communication
    Limited corporate perks
    ...

More emphasis on training
    Salary closer to market

Watch out for the back-stabbing.

Former Employee - "Engineer" in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - "Engineer" in Houston, TX

I worked at Saipem America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Initial salary....and that's about it.

Cons

Yearly raises average around 2% IF you're lucky. Other employees will not help you in any way and management won't make them help, yet expects you to perform miracles.

Time for some serious house cleaning - starting at the TOP.

Jul 2, 2014HR

Raises average 10% and are awarded to employees based upon performance. Cost of Living Increases are equivalent to the market, which have averaged 2-3 %, and are given to ALL employees regardless of ... More

7. Saipem has been a great place to work.

I have been working at Saipem America

Pros

Saipem gives you the opportunity to learn a lot about the industry.

Cons

There is not much room for growth.

There is no team building

Horrible place to work

I worked at Saipem America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Location, but that is it

Cons

There is almost zero opportunity to move up depending on which department you are in, and if you are not Italian don't expect to ever move up to management. You won't even be considered even if you have more qualifications than the Italian being hired. This company does not appreciate their employees at all. Salaries are laughable and they don't give good raises, it doesn't even account for inflation because it's so small. Don't ever expect a bonus either. I'm surprised there aren't more lawsuits with their internal practices... They are obviously lucky but one day I am sure they will regret it. I left this place as soon as possible and don't regret it one bit.

Pay your employees what they deserve, do reviews periodically (the real kind), let Americans into management and stop discriminating before you get into a lawsuit, and give better raises.... Especially if you are not going to give bonuses!

Jul 2, 2014HR

Raises average 10% and are awarded to employees based upon performance. Bonuses average 12.5% and again are awarded based upon performance. Cost of Living Increases are equivalent to the market ... More

Whom ever wrote this was a 1950s mentality place was not wrong.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Saipem America full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Not one except maybe location.

Cons

Plenty. I gave up an opportunity working for a well respected American company for this place only because Eni is a renowned well known offshore construction company. That move on my part was a huge mistake but also a lesson learned. The place is very old and to me, has areas that are hazardous even to the employees. The company has grown employee wise a lot for what I see in one year so they cram employees in offices like sardines. You are lucky if you get a cubicle. The place is run like Communist Cuba. You are lucky if you get any supplies. The place was in my experience extremely unprofessional starting with HR, IT, and top management. They will have you working in unreasonable conditions with zero help, support, or guidance. They in a few days expect outstanding results with no support and will demand work to come out like pizzas out of a fast food restaurant. They are insulting, backwards, degrading and too unprofessional. I would stay away from this place.

Go back to Italy or don't hire Americans. You are wasting your time and theirs. If you expect to work the Italian way then you will continue with the mess you have.

Jul 2, 2014HR

I apologize that was your experience, but we have since made leadership changes in the areas/departments you mentioned.

Like working in a company in 1950's

Former Employee - Compliance Officer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Compliance Officer in Houston, TX

I worked at Saipem America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I do not have any positive comments

Cons

Low pay. Lots of turnover. They do not pay their vendors and make excuses on why not to pay. The amount of paperwork and beaucracy is horrible. No training and management is ex pats who think they don't have to abide by US laws.

A world wide organization specializing in Offshore Construction, Engineering, Installation and ROV's

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Saipem America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, work hours and location

Cons

New direction from ROV's to Offshore Engeering & Construction so we have a few learning curves

Communication with the employees