Saks Fifth Avenue

www.careersatsaks.com

Saks Fifth Avenue Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Marigay McKee

Pros
  • Great discount (20% normally, 40% during double discounts), run efficiently(in 46 reviews)

• Decent employee discount if you could afford to buy anything there based on the commission only pay(in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is very challenging due to the nature of the business(in 13 reviews)

• There is no room for growth or promotions within a store(in 10 reviews)

Luxury - but it's still "sales."

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsIn the two stores I worked in my experience was mostly in cosmetics. I also worked for MAC inside a Saks. I would rate it as an overall typical corporate sales job. The economic downturn was not nice to Saks & they closed many stores.

ConsIf you've worked big corporate retail, then mostly no surprises here. Yes, it's luxury retail; therefore, the question of the customer spending is higher level and so your service is expected to be. If you're not a fan of being on the phone constantly to generate sales, then this won't be the place for you. Foot traffic isn't high in most Saks, so you will be calling on your customers frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't try to polish a turd, then sell it to your underlings....Many of us are previous managers that know that pony trick.

Womens Shoes Sales associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsDiscount, location, cafeteria in store

ConsToo many sales associates on one floor.

Long history of being a good place to work.

Buying (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsLong history as premiere luxury retailer. Historically known for developing people and promoting from within. May product categories and opportunity for movement to different roles. Respected amongst the industry as a great place to learn retail and merchandising.

ConsLots of "red tape" making decision making a lengthy process. Currently going through many changes with receipt HBC buy out.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decisions faster so teams can execute quickly. This is essential in retail to be fast and first.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The commission-based environment is akin to a battlefield.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Pros-Monthly recognition ceremonies
    -Good holiday commission checks
    -Weekly pay

Cons-Backstabbing coworkers
    -Lackadaisical management
    -Draw vs. commission structure - Heaven help you if you get into a deficit.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the people, not just the sales.

N/A

N/A (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWhen it is busy is very good

ConsWhen it is slow, it is painful.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Great place to work but it can be very challenging

Sales Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat discount, great managers. Great benefits and great commission if you hit your draw.

ConsThe commission is very good, but the "draw X commission" system is terrible, and a lot of associates have to struggle every week to make their draw. You basically have to sell about 6k a week to start making commission. Once you don't make your draw, the balance goes to your next week, and lots of associate basically start to own the company, accumulating so much and making their draw huge. Also, we have to deal with so much returns, sometimes you feel that you don't work in a Luxury store, the managers take everything back, and the store atmosphere is kind of ghetto . They changed the store hours and it's horrible and they don't really care about their associates. Also, there are so many associates on the floor and they keep hiring people everyday.

Would love to see Saks evolve into an employee focused company.

ProsThey offer great discounts and benefits

ConsThere is no real culture of the store. It's basically every man for himself and if you don't make your numbers you're booted out.

Great

Buyer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat atmosphere. Nice Clothes. Exceptional People to work with. Great Location

ConsNothing really. Just a good place overall to work at.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave multiple Buyers and Fashion Stylists at the stores.

Great co-workers

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsMid management and senior management are open to discuss any concerns you may have with the company. Co-workers are great and easy to work with

ConsGoal setting is very important but when your monthly sales goals are set so high in order for your store to become #1 and you are told that you will be terminated if you don't meet those goals the time you spend on the floor becomes a battle field and you become unmotivated and discouraged, even if my goals were met my positive out look and my love for clothing retail were gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more respect to the sales staff, if not respect take away the draw, then the disrespect would not be taken so personal when you are working so hard.

Can be great, but it varies greatly based on local management.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsTraining and development of staff is unparalleled in the industry. Discount is generous. Diversity in workplace enhances peer-to-peer experiences.

ConsSenior leadership in the store can vary widely from each location and completely impacts the morale. Changes can be slow to come. Compensation is not competitive with other retailers and as a result talent retention is difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn store morale is deeply impacted by how well the senior leadership is able to inspire. There is no consistency at how the message is delivered to the store population.

Worked for Saks Fifth Avenue? Contribute to the Community!