Saks Fifth Avenue

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014
2.8

Marigay McKee

Pros
  • Great discount (20% normally, 40% during double discounts), run efficiently (in 47 reviews)

• Decent employee discount if you could afford to buy anything there based on the commission only pay (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is very challenging due to the nature of the business (in 13 reviews)

• The draw vs commission which is meant to be a "motivational' way to sell more, often ends up hurting sales associates (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent

Current Employee - Door Man  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Door Man in New York, NY

I have been working at Saks Fifth Avenue full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Enjoyed the atmosphere and respect

Cons

Weather, road side assistance by taxi cabs

Provide cleaning for uniforms

My experience working at Saks

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Saks Fifth Avenue part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture and the employees are very nice and welcoming

Cons

Advancement is very difficult from the retail side to the corporate side

Communicate better with your workers

The team that I worked with was really a team effort. I looked forward to going to work.

Former Employee - Men's Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Men's Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Saks Fifth Avenue full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You were in charge of your personal growth. Sak's has a great system for keeping track of all your clients.

Cons

Management was not as helpful as they should have been. You felt alone or if you suggested something the answer almost always we do not do it that way.

Transferring to another store needs to be more streamlined. I would think that if the store you were requesting to go to and had a job you were qualified for that new store should hire you if you were in good standing. Not interview with three different managers once your move to the new location and not get hired.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fine Jewelry Commissioned Associate

Former Employee - Professional Jewelry Sales  in  Sunrise, FL
    Former Employee - Professional Jewelry Sales in Sunrise, FL

I worked at Saks Fifth Avenue full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunity to build great clientele lists along with a great salary; being commissioned provides a terrific motivation to help customers and close that sale. Average time off policies, the team leaders tend to be a bit on the power hungry side and could be on the side of playing favorites with certain employees hence the 4 star rating vs. a 5 star.

Cons

Power hungry managers, sometimes limited room for personal growth. Saks benefits had been better at one time; they're still better than some employers in the same category, but not as they had once been.

Advise your management team to be fair in their judgments in employee vs. employee disputes. Another piece of advise would be to go back to their better benefits as it would make Saks a better place to work.

Wonderful Company for Luxury Fashion Industry

I have been working at Saks Fifth Avenue full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Loyal associates, beautiful product, growing in technology

Cons

Growth through re-location can be a negative for some.

Intern at Saks

I worked at Saks Fifth Avenue

Pros

Everyone was very helpful. As an intern, if you do well, you are usually hired to work there.
    I met with people from all the departments who were happy to share much needed information.

Cons

The pay is fair, and you have to do extremely well to climb the ladder.
    The interviewing process can drag on a bit, with quite a few different people.

Saks is a great place to work!

Former Employee - Talent Development Director  in  Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Talent Development Director in Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Saks Fifth Avenue full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Positive work environment, benefits, growth potential

Cons

Compensation inconsistent for sales associates store to store - can be challenging

Review compensation plans for sales associates in order to recruit and retain top talent

Before you apply here ...check company review

I have been working at Saks Fifth Avenue full-time

Pros

Great employee discount, sometimes double or triple.
    Hours are good for retail...closing at 6 pm.
    Two plans to choose from for health insurance.
    Nice, hard working coworkers who are willing to help.

Cons

A lot of pressure to open new Saks charges ( you might get written up if you don't meet quota)
    There is no raise...the pay you accepted when hired is same as long as you work there. Management answer to that is " sell more, earn more". You are encouraged to cross sell in the store, which sounds great, but other employees are upset because you're selling "their" stuff.
    In many years that I work there, I've seen many good people leave because of management inability or unwillingness to connect with them and offer help or training if they are struggling.

None...

Pretty good for cosmetics retail, but with flaws.

Former Employee - Cosmetics Associate
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Associate

I worked at Saks Fifth Avenue full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My coworkers were, for the most part, AMAZING. Other departments willing to partner up and were very professional and fair, minus a few bad apples who I just tried to stay away from.

Great PTO, benefits good and cheap, great products. Management was friendly and encouraging in my location.

35 hour work week and pay *could* be great if negotiated up front. Travel pay for training was significant. Really thorough training.

Probably better than most high end retail.

Cons

Sales quotas could be ridiculous, especially if you are on a line by yourself. A lot of that came from the cosmetics companies themselves and your personal quota in the store was a little more reasonable, but my manager wouldn't act as interference for the pressure from the cosmetics company. It was borderline harassment. If you do too well your first year you might regret it! Grow at a reasonable pace.

My manager never worked a cosmetics selling floor a day in her life and yet was hired to run a very volitile department. The only thing that saved her is that she was very hands off and let us run our own businesses. There were times where employees might have appreciated some guidance of mentorship that she was not able to provide. Nice lady, didn't belong in cosmetics.

Too many freaking weekends though unlike many retailers you had one off per month.

NO RAISES. Negotiate your salary up front because you will not have a pay increase. They will tell you to sell more but the most you'll get from that is a few dollars. There were associates who were better negotiators up front who did not sell as much as I did making $7 more per hour! I did not know this before being hired or would have definitely made more of an effort to be paid better.

Pressure to sell credit cards, lots of clienteling. Not much foot traffic.

Make sure you are hiring people to run departments who come from a background related to the products sold.

Chill out on the credit cards. It's a different world and employees shouldn't be held liable for a customer's disinterest in a credit card with high interest rates. They get more rewards from their current cards in most cases. I understand why you do it, but the bottom line is that some associates are so stressed out about credit that they lose focus on their products. If you relaxed, so would they, and you would probably sell more!

Train cosmetics managers to not allow account executives to treat associates poorly...it should be a partnership and representatives should be expected to have a code of conduct that is enforced by each store. Go to bat for your employees or high turnover in some lines will and does result, leaving lines empty. The entire department suffers.

Great place to work, managment really nice.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Saks Fifth Avenue full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, great discounts, nice atmosphere.

Cons

Gets very competative at times.

Worked for Saks Fifth Avenue? Contribute to the Community!