Saks Fifth Avenue

Updated September 28, 2014
Updated September 28, 2014
2.8

Marigay McKee

Pros
  • Great discount (20% normally, 40% during double discounts), run efficiently (in 49 reviews)

• Decent employee discount if you could afford to buy anything there based on the commission only pay (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • The draw vs commission which is meant to be a "motivational' way to sell more, often ends up hurting sales associates (in 17 reviews)

• Work life balance is very challenging due to the nature of the business (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Saks Fifth Avenue full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance, entertainment, learning superior customer service

Cons

Poor departmental management, no opportunity to sell enough to make commission

Lessen sales incentives for commission to make them more realistic in terms of being able to generate commission.

good company with smart and aggressive people to work with

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Saks Fifth Avenue full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

fast paced, definitely can learn a lot

Cons

not really a relaxed environment to work

Decent company with nice coworkers.

I worked at Saks Fifth Avenue part-time

Pros

Nice hours and friendly coworkers but overall the company not very aware of the consumer culture and the product was bad/

Cons

The quality of products have gone down and the clientele was very bad. The company cared too much about metrics on not the quality of service.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The team that I worked with was really a team effort. I looked forward to going to work.

Former Employee - Men's Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Men's Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Saks Fifth Avenue full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You were in charge of your personal growth. Sak's has a great system for keeping track of all your clients.

Cons

Management was not as helpful as they should have been. You felt alone or if you suggested something the answer almost always we do not do it that way.

Transferring to another store needs to be more streamlined. I would think that if the store you were requesting to go to and had a job you were qualified for that new store should hire you if you were in good standing. Not interview with three different managers once your move to the new location and not get hired.

Excellent

Current Employee - Door Man  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Door Man in New York, NY

I have been working at Saks Fifth Avenue full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Enjoyed the atmosphere and respect

Cons

Weather, road side assistance by taxi cabs

Provide cleaning for uniforms

My experience working at Saks

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Saks Fifth Avenue part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture and the employees are very nice and welcoming

Cons

Advancement is very difficult from the retail side to the corporate side

Communicate better with your workers

Fine Jewelry Commissioned Associate

Former Employee - Professional Jewelry Sales  in  Sunrise, FL
    Former Employee - Professional Jewelry Sales in Sunrise, FL

I worked at Saks Fifth Avenue full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunity to build great clientele lists along with a great salary; being commissioned provides a terrific motivation to help customers and close that sale. Average time off policies, the team leaders tend to be a bit on the power hungry side and could be on the side of playing favorites with certain employees hence the 4 star rating vs. a 5 star.

Cons

Power hungry managers, sometimes limited room for personal growth. Saks benefits had been better at one time; they're still better than some employers in the same category, but not as they had once been.

Advise your management team to be fair in their judgments in employee vs. employee disputes. Another piece of advise would be to go back to their better benefits as it would make Saks a better place to work.

Wonderful Company for Luxury Fashion Industry

I have been working at Saks Fifth Avenue full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Loyal associates, beautiful product, growing in technology

Cons

Growth through re-location can be a negative for some.

Pretty good for cosmetics retail, but with flaws.

Former Employee - Cosmetics Associate
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Associate

I worked at Saks Fifth Avenue full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My coworkers were, for the most part, AMAZING. Other departments willing to partner up and were very professional and fair, minus a few bad apples who I just tried to stay away from.

Great PTO, benefits good and cheap, great products. Management was friendly and encouraging in my location.

35 hour work week and pay *could* be great if negotiated up front. Travel pay for training was significant. Really thorough training.

Probably better than most high end retail.

Cons

Sales quotas could be ridiculous, especially if you are on a line by yourself. A lot of that came from the cosmetics companies themselves and your personal quota in the store was a little more reasonable, but my manager wouldn't act as interference for the pressure from the cosmetics company. It was borderline harassment. If you do too well your first year you might regret it! Grow at a reasonable pace.

My manager never worked a cosmetics selling floor a day in her life and yet was hired to run a very volitile department. The only thing that saved her is that she was very hands off and let us run our own businesses. There were times where employees might have appreciated some guidance of mentorship that she was not able to provide. Nice lady, didn't belong in cosmetics.

Too many freaking weekends though unlike many retailers you had one off per month.

NO RAISES. Negotiate your salary up front because you will not have a pay increase. They will tell you to sell more but the most you'll get from that is a few dollars. There were associates who were better negotiators up front who did not sell as much as I did making $7 more per hour! I did not know this before being hired or would have definitely made more of an effort to be paid better.

Pressure to sell credit cards, lots of clienteling. Not much foot traffic.

Make sure you are hiring people to run departments who come from a background related to the products sold.

Chill out on the credit cards. It's a different world and employees shouldn't be held liable for a customer's disinterest in a credit card with high interest rates. They get more rewards from their current cards in most cases. I understand why you do it, but the bottom line is that some associates are so stressed out about credit that they lose focus on their products. If you relaxed, so would they, and you would probably sell more!

Train cosmetics managers to not allow account executives to treat associates poorly...it should be a partnership and representatives should be expected to have a code of conduct that is enforced by each store. Go to bat for your employees or high turnover in some lines will and does result, leaving lines empty. The entire department suffers.

thriving in a sales driven position

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Beachwood, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Beachwood, OH

I have been working at Saks Fifth Avenue full-time for more than a year

Pros

you can really make how much as you put in. Have designer clothing to sell and purchase. I had a great manager that loved fashion as much o more than myself.

Cons

the customers are demanding and the co-wokers can be a headache to work with. The GM has an unwelcoming air about her, thats maybe why they hired her, to keep the attitude of the Saks brand. (lol)

They promote who fits the look and who they like. I've seen them demote one of the most hard working managers yet.

Saks Fifth Avenue Photos

Entrance to Saks in Chicago
NYC Flagship Store

+ Add Photo

Worked for Saks Fifth Avenue? Contribute to the Community!