Saks Fifth Avenue

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014
2.8

Marigay McKee

Pros
  • Great discount (20% normally, 40% during double discounts), run efficiently (in 47 reviews)

• Decent employee discount if you could afford to buy anything there based on the commission only pay (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is very challenging due to the nature of the business (in 13 reviews)

• The draw vs commission which is meant to be a "motivational' way to sell more, often ends up hurting sales associates (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

My experience working at Saks

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Saks Fifth Avenue part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture and the employees are very nice and welcoming

Cons

Advancement is very difficult from the retail side to the corporate side

Communicate better with your workers

Not a job to make a living off of

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Beachwood, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Beachwood, OH

I worked at Saks Fifth Avenue full-time

Pros

Discount on great designers, health insurance, great way to stay current on fashion and trends

Cons

Competitive sales staff that scares customers away. Poor management. Little to no flexibility with your schedule.

Excellent

Current Employee - Door Man  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Door Man in New York, NY

I have been working at Saks Fifth Avenue full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Enjoyed the atmosphere and respect

Cons

Weather, road side assistance by taxi cabs

Provide cleaning for uniforms

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The team that I worked with was really a team effort. I looked forward to going to work.

Former Employee - Men's Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Men's Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Saks Fifth Avenue full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You were in charge of your personal growth. Sak's has a great system for keeping track of all your clients.

Cons

Management was not as helpful as they should have been. You felt alone or if you suggested something the answer almost always we do not do it that way.

Transferring to another store needs to be more streamlined. I would think that if the store you were requesting to go to and had a job you were qualified for that new store should hire you if you were in good standing. Not interview with three different managers once your move to the new location and not get hired.

Pretty good for cosmetics retail, but with flaws.

Former Employee - Cosmetics Associate
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Associate

I worked at Saks Fifth Avenue full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My coworkers were, for the most part, AMAZING. Other departments willing to partner up and were very professional and fair, minus a few bad apples who I just tried to stay away from.

Great PTO, benefits good and cheap, great products. Management was friendly and encouraging in my location.

35 hour work week and pay *could* be great if negotiated up front. Travel pay for training was significant. Really thorough training.

Probably better than most high end retail.

Cons

Sales quotas could be ridiculous, especially if you are on a line by yourself. A lot of that came from the cosmetics companies themselves and your personal quota in the store was a little more reasonable, but my manager wouldn't act as interference for the pressure from the cosmetics company. It was borderline harassment. If you do too well your first year you might regret it! Grow at a reasonable pace.

My manager never worked a cosmetics selling floor a day in her life and yet was hired to run a very volitile department. The only thing that saved her is that she was very hands off and let us run our own businesses. There were times where employees might have appreciated some guidance of mentorship that she was not able to provide. Nice lady, didn't belong in cosmetics.

Too many freaking weekends though unlike many retailers you had one off per month.

NO RAISES. Negotiate your salary up front because you will not have a pay increase. They will tell you to sell more but the most you'll get from that is a few dollars. There were associates who were better negotiators up front who did not sell as much as I did making $7 more per hour! I did not know this before being hired or would have definitely made more of an effort to be paid better.

Pressure to sell credit cards, lots of clienteling. Not much foot traffic.

Make sure you are hiring people to run departments who come from a background related to the products sold.

Chill out on the credit cards. It's a different world and employees shouldn't be held liable for a customer's disinterest in a credit card with high interest rates. They get more rewards from their current cards in most cases. I understand why you do it, but the bottom line is that some associates are so stressed out about credit that they lose focus on their products. If you relaxed, so would they, and you would probably sell more!

Train cosmetics managers to not allow account executives to treat associates poorly...it should be a partnership and representatives should be expected to have a code of conduct that is enforced by each store. Go to bat for your employees or high turnover in some lines will and does result, leaving lines empty. The entire department suffers.

Fine Jewelry Commissioned Associate

Former Employee - Professional Jewelry Sales  in  Sunrise, FL
    Former Employee - Professional Jewelry Sales in Sunrise, FL

I worked at Saks Fifth Avenue full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunity to build great clientele lists along with a great salary; being commissioned provides a terrific motivation to help customers and close that sale. Average time off policies, the team leaders tend to be a bit on the power hungry side and could be on the side of playing favorites with certain employees hence the 4 star rating vs. a 5 star.

Cons

Power hungry managers, sometimes limited room for personal growth. Saks benefits had been better at one time; they're still better than some employers in the same category, but not as they had once been.

Advise your management team to be fair in their judgments in employee vs. employee disputes. Another piece of advise would be to go back to their better benefits as it would make Saks a better place to work.

Wonderful Company for Luxury Fashion Industry

I have been working at Saks Fifth Avenue full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Loyal associates, beautiful product, growing in technology

Cons

Growth through re-location can be a negative for some.

Retail Hell... What ever you do , do not work in NYC SAKS!!!!!!!

Current Employee - Hangbags  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Hangbags in New York, NY

I have been working at Saks Fifth Avenue full-time for more than a year

Pros

discount on luxury items

Cons

Poor pay, overall worse job ive ever had. turn over rate for employees is very Hi , the average associate at saks is intended to make $ 5200-6200 in your draw a week which covers a weekly bass of $300 pre tax ( only after you make your draw are u able to make commission and make more than 300 a week to support yourself financial). with over 2500 employees in the NYC store that equals out to about 13,000,00 a week in commission that saks does not pay their employees for. times the 13,000,000 a week by 52 weeks in a year ( because saks in open 24 seven ) that equals out to $676,000,000 a year that saks does not pay commission to their associates. the strategy is the more people work at saks the more they are guaranteed commission because of your draw . you are often working in a department with anywhere from 15-20 people on the floor at one time. making your weekly goal is tough and sales associates are aggressive and undermining. The moral in store is very low do to low sales and the high amount of returns daily ( which clients take full advantage of ) you can count on about 45 percent of your sale coming back .i really hope some of you think twice about joining saks . Ive worked at the NYC flagship for about two years and ive never been so broke in my entire life.

pay your employees what they deserve !!!!

Intern at Saks

I worked at Saks Fifth Avenue

Pros

Everyone was very helpful. As an intern, if you do well, you are usually hired to work there.
    I met with people from all the departments who were happy to share much needed information.

Cons

The pay is fair, and you have to do extremely well to climb the ladder.
    The interviewing process can drag on a bit, with quite a few different people.

"What does luxury feel like" Not very good if you're a sales associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have been working at Saks Fifth Avenue full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very lovely location. Within the walls there are a few top notch people. If you can survive for at least a year, you become very attractive to other retailers.

Cons

The commission against draw arrangement is most difficult with a seasonal business as well as a floor loaded with sales associates. Day to day the management demands constant contact to clients, this practice borders on stalking. Honesty does not seem to be the best policy.

Take care of your people and realize that the associates you push on a constant basis are not able to make a living wage.

Worked for Saks Fifth Avenue? Contribute to the Community!