Saks

Updated February 21, 2015
2.4

Saks CEO and Chairman; CEO, Saks Fifth Avenue Enterprises Steve Sadove
Steve Sadove

Good company to work for, if you want to do retail. In order to be successful you have to build relationships.

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in McLean, VA

I have been working at Saks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Associate discount is probably the best benefit. Also offers insurance

Cons

All commission based. ( although there is a draw, but no hourly pay or salary)

Sales Associate

I have been working at Saks

Pros

The discount is great and you can take advantage of some great sales.

Cons

The HR department will trick you into thinking you will be getting paid a lot more money than you are thinking. Some sharks work in every store so it can be difficult to make your draw aka $$$

I had mixed feelings about this place.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Saks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Discounts on high end brands were always a plus. As a student the flexible work hours fit my schedule accordingly.

Cons

The work environment mirrors that of high school cliques. It was very unprofessional. There is a lot of pressure to meet holiday sale goals.

Don't play favorites and be fair with scheduling.

It's All About Their Money

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jackson, MS

I worked at Saks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The cons honestly overshadow any possible pros. It's nice in the beginning but then you realize the managers and executives are not as "professional" with the call center agents as they should be.

Cons

The "work-life balance" does not exist for the customer service representatives, this only applies to the managers and executives. It was highly frowned upon to take a restroom break and it wasn't during one of the two 15 minute scheduled breaks. This would be possible if you were able to take your break as needed. But unfortunately, you would come in to work and find a little strip of paper on your keyboard that had what time you had to take your lunch and two breaks. Sometimes I'd go in at 8am, my break would be at 9:15, lunch 11:00, and last break 2:30, then I would leave at 4:30. That takes a toll when you've been taking the brunt of pissed off customers on the phone. An older colleague that sat next to me had 15 minutes until her last break, but was in dire need of a restroom. She knew that if she got up before her scheduled break our department manager would reprimand her (he would have) she stayed at her desk for that 15 minutes and then went to the restroom with wet pants. She asked to go home and change, they deemed it unnecessary because she only had two hours left of her shift and the call volume was expected to increase (it never did). The department manager eventually had a team manager go assist her because she'd been gone over 15 minutes. I heard a crazy noise when she came back and sat down; two female team managers had actually assisted her put on a plastic grocery bag between her undergarments and slacks so she could stay there the last two hours. That's a small fraction of it, it's upsetting to think about the hell I let them put me through. The money really isn't that good, especially when you're sacrificing your happiness and dignity for it. My decision to leave was the smartest thing I think I've ever done in my life. I wish the management team, executives, and Jim Coggin Jr. would feel guilty for the way they treat their associates, but I know they won't. The Elite doesn't lose sleep over such petty things. I knew two associates from saks who committed suicide. I'm glad I left before I joined them. The place made me completely miserable, I cried every morning because I didn't want to go.

Respect humanity. Don't were silk suits, monogrammed cuffed dress shirts, and fine Italian leather shoes if you can't even give us a frozen turkey for Christmas. We worked so hard during the holidays, and we didn't get anything to let us know you appreciated us. God bless anyone who gets mixed up in this company.

Toxic working environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Saks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discount, free parking, work with great people

Cons

Management is so conniving and condescending it's unbelievable. They don't really care about their employees. Everything is fake, fake and fake!

Put yourself in someone else's shoes for once. Treat your employees with basic respect and not like children. Yelling should never be common in a professional working environment.

Horrible senior management -- other than the ivory tower p, it's a free for all for resolpondibilitirs and roles

I worked at Saks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Nice discount on merchandise (40% off) competitive salaries

Cons

Poor management, roles not defined, power grabs are widespread, senior management is inexperienced to organization structure

Learn what proper roles and responsibilities are within a retail corporate organization

Saks Fifthe Avenue is Awful!!!!

I have been working at Saks

Pros

Great discounts and great location

Cons

Horrible life and work balance

Beauty Specialist Beverly Hills Worst place to work.

I worked at Saks

Pros

You get to meet great customers from time to time.

Cons

I was told the pay is the lowest on the boulevard, compared to Barneys and Neiman Marcus. Must pay $80.00 to park a month to work there. Once you park your car for the day you are stuck there.

I worked for the company for more than two years. The most depressing place to work. Very few happy employees in cosmetics. Lots of drama going on there. Management is not properly trained and has different set of rules for different people.

Hire skilled management. Managers that know how to lead and set good examples. Managers that actually demonstrate on the sales floor what they are expecting of their staff. Anyone can walk around with a notebook in their hand all day and tell people what to do.

Merchandise Assistant- Saks Off Fifth

Current Employee - Merchandise Associate- Saks Off Fifth
    Current Employee - Merchandise Associate- Saks Off Fifth

I have been working at Saks part-time

Pros

Flexible hours, fun work environment, 20-30% employee discount

Cons

Poor planning and marketing strategies, Corporate seems out-of-touch with store needs, low pay and little room for career growth, wide fluctuations in hours scheduled from week-to-week

Simplify! The complexity and frequency of new promotions is confusing to customers and employees. Need stronger managers at store and corporate level. Buyers need to be more in touch with target audience.

I enjoyed working at Saks

I have been working at Saks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had an amazing experience and grew my career in retail with Saks. My GM and SVP were great people to work for.

Cons

HR needs to get better and remain professional at all times.