Saks

Updated April 12, 2014

Saks CEO and Chairman; CEO, Saks Fifth Avenue Enterprises Steve Sadove
Steve Sadove

I enjoyed working at Saks

Pros

I had an amazing experience and grew my career in retail with Saks. My GM and SVP were great people to work for.

Cons

HR needs to get better and remain professional at all times.

Merchandise Assistant- Saks Off Fifth

Current Employee - Merchandise Associate- Saks Off Fifth
    Current Employee - Merchandise Associate- Saks Off Fifth

Pros

Flexible hours, fun work environment, 20-30% employee discount

Cons

Poor planning and marketing strategies, Corporate seems out-of-touch with store needs, low pay and little room for career growth, wide fluctuations in hours scheduled from week-to-week

Simplify! The complexity and frequency of new promotions is confusing to customers and employees. Need stronger managers at store and corporate level. Buyers need to be more in touch with target audience.

Micromanaging, disorganized hierarchical and a real disappointment. demoralizing place to work.

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

Pros

Access to the best designers. Some very talented people. High end retail. Clean environment.

Cons

There's a lot. Technology is woefully behind competitors like Nordstom. Management is overbearing and treats associates like infants. Stores are basically just a showroom light in inventory. You are competing with your own dot com site. Slew of Event after event after event with confusing and sometimes misleading rules. Way Too many events to have meaning. Associates and store management are generally negative in their outlook. You will Never hear a sincere or positive compliment from top management or store management. Front line people never can make a decision without asking for a managers approval. Definitely not an empowering type place.
    Pay is better for the seasonal person than it is for regular associates. Which Makes no sense. No opportunity to go into management. It does not seem to support diversity - especially in manager role!??
    If you like to be treated like an infant then this is the place for you. If you have a brain and are looking to grow save yourself the trouble and don't waste your time applying here there is better.

Listen to your people. Go out into the retail landscape and see who and how some of your competition is doing it better and get off your high horses. Eliminate the redundant upper management jobs that create a culture of mine first and narrow down your focus on being great in a few things instead of always trying to be all to all. It's time to Really empower people too. We are adults. Improve your communication, training and technology systems. They all lack! Make your company truly omni-channel. There is No reason why the dot com and FL stores have to fight and compete over customer because one offers free shipping and the other doesn't.
    Finally make your events mean something. Get rid of half of them and let the remaining ones be bigger and let customers and employees enjoy them. We will do better. It is a good company. But it's got problems.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked at Saks full-time for more than 1.5 year

Current Employee - Fsession  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Fsession in New York, NY

Pros

You can make lots of money, discounts, location

Cons

Pressure for credit cards, overflood the sales,

My Introduction to Poverty

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

Pros

The company attempts to train employees. I didn't really use the discount which everyone gushes about (not me) since it was a way to get into hock to the company store paying more for the stuff in the end since you HAD to use the credit card to get the discount. Of course, you could pay it back right away, but the pay was so low. I liked the fitters a lot. I had some interesting experiences with clients.

Cons

The superstars (REPEAT SUPERSTARS) in my department snagged 60,000 dollars a year and I believe there was ONE of them in my department who made that astronomical sum. Average was more like National Poverty Level. Most people I worked with were borderline desperate, aggressive, exhausted, stressed out people. The place is physically DANGEROUS and the company doesn't take it seriously. Dark, cave-like stockrooms with knobs sticking out from the floor, dangerous rolling shelves, falling boxes, broken mirrors, dissembled display equipment. People were getting hurt constantly. Someone rolled over my big toe with a two tier rolling clothes rack in the store room causing a nice injury. A box went flying from the top of one of these racks, nearly hitting me in the head. BAD NEWS. You had to go up rolling ladders in the dark (ladders with about 8 steps). I worked like a long longshoreman, took extraordinary amounts of crap from coworkers and clients, worked through the holidays missing a lot due to the awful hours. And despite it all, the incredible hard work, the physical exhaustion, the constant pressure to make sales goals, coping with the returns which come out of your salary since you are commissions only, I was unable to make ends meet. One last thing....... it was tough to go out to eat and the cafeteria there had the most foul and expensive food imaginable.

Read my cons. Take safety seriously. Get real about money. Adjust the compensation so that employees can live. And since you obviously take training seriously, make the training match the reality of the brutal, cutthroat competition necessary due to the all commission system and the armies of warm bodies hired and wheeled in on conveyor belts as exhausted, injured walking wounded are wheeled out.

Lack of People of Color in Leadership Roles / Incestuous Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

-Summer Fridays
    -Competitive salary if you are coming in to the company from a competitor

Cons

-Blurred lines with management: for example, having an open-door policy with your direct manager is encouraged, however, be warned because your manager more than likely is friends outside of the office with their manager so you don't really have the option to above your manager's head without it being awkward and/or putting your job at risk.
    -If you aren't best friends with your manager, there really is no hope in moving up within the company. Work ethic and being professional isn't not enough - I've seen people move up only when they kiss up and have a friendship with their managers and in turn, met multiple people who have worked for the company for YEARS and have never been promoted simply because they aren't best friends with their manager -- extremely detrimental environment for someone who is professional and trying to move up the corporate ladder
    -The work/life balance is a myth - many of my coworkers have had to come in or be "on call" during the weekends. Long hours (>8) are typical
    -Only a small handful of people of color in leadership roles - the others are in entry-level roles. I was shocked to see how many older people there were at Saks who had been employed there since the 70s and 80s in the same exact entry-level positions they started in.

-Listen to your people - they are on the front lines and doing the work
    -For Directors and up: stop relying on your managers to tell you how things are going with their direct reports and actually set up time with those direct reports (alone) and ask them how things are going - you will have a bigger picture of what is going on within that department.

Does not care about there employees

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in New York, NY

Pros

Great discount on the products and services (the salon).

Cons

The discount. If you want it, you have to open up there credit card. I personally had one before working there, and made the choice to close it a couple of day into the job because I wanted to keep myself in check.

It's practically impossible to move off of the sales floor, ie corporate. And if your good they attempt to keep you in your position.

As a sales associate you work on a draw. Unless your lucky to have financial support by someone else, it's impossible to live on random pay check amounts.

Everyone knows happy employees make for happy customers. Invest in your current employees careers and work/life balance. Employees want three things, 1) to feel good about working at there company, 2) having there direct manager develop there skills to get them better at there current role, 3) having there manager help prepare them for the next role.

Provide your sales staff a base salary/hourly rate plus a smaller commission rate on items sold. This will contribute to employee satisfaction.

Great team to work with

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

Pros

Discounts and environment were great

Cons

Needs better customer service on the floor

Saks Inc

Former Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Birmingham, AL

Pros

Focus on associates; work/life balance; clear career paths available to all associates. You are only limited by your desire to grow and learn.

Cons

I may have rose colored glasses on because I have no cons to share.

good job, if you don't mind aggressively going after sales, and up selling everything.

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

Pros

possibility of making good money

Cons

aggressive competition for sales. but be really talented in up selling to actually make good money there.

Worked for Saks? Contribute to the Community!