Saks Reviews

Steve Sadove

1. Relaxed, Fun Environment, Great Benefits, Poorly Trained Managers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Saks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am directly underneath my manager, so I do feel that I get direct answers and quickly, however those answers can be frustrating. I have ended up doing a lot of babysitting instead of innovating. A common problem in workplaces, I assume.
    The benefits are great, the pay is skimpy. You can dress like you get paid more than you do...
    I always always get to leave at 6. We promptly close the studio then. I am lucky to not have the complaints of overtime like my friends.

Cons

When I try to help and fix a lingering inefficiency issue, or bring it to my managers attention, I get met with "Not my problem". Also been promised there is no future for me beyond my current position. Manager admittedly told me he thought I would surely leave after being here for 6 months. My direct coworker was hired explicitly due to nepotism (she and my manager have admitted to that fact)

Advice to Management

More solution based-conversations. Do we really have to stick to the old adage of "too much red-tape?" Why can't we think positively instead of insisting that problem solving would "diminish my job here"?

2. Good luxury retail experience, poor management

I have been working at Saks

Pros

Great experience in selling luxury brands

Cons

Poor management help, expectations are high while support is low. Also they don't believe in promoting great employees

Advice to Management

Support the ideas and initiatives of your employees

3. sales

I have been working at Saks

Pros

discounts for employees is good

Cons

scheduling confliction can be complex

5. Well paid and enjoyable

I have been working at Saks

Pros

Compensation is above average .

Cons

High stress due to corporate politics

Advice to Management

Connect With team more

6. So far so good.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Short Hills, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Short Hills, NJ

I have been working at Saks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management is great. When the store does well, so do you. My coworkers are amazing as well. It's a fun place to work.

Cons

Not knowing how much you are going to make every week can be really tough and very stressful.

Advice to Management

It would be great if compensation was hourly plus commission. Turnover rate is high and you lose great staff when times are slow.

7. I worked there for over 15 years, and was always treated with respect.

Former Employee - Trainer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Trainer in New York, NY

I worked at Saks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging work - great leaders (most are no longer there).

Cons

Mixed messages - too many focus areas. People did not know which metric to work towards from month to month.

Advice to Management

Corporate leadership should spend real time in the stores with real customers - not just on contrived visits. They do no understand the real challenges front line associates face.

Good company to work for, if you want to do retail. In order to be successful you have to build relationships.

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in McLean, VA

I have been working at Saks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Associate discount is probably the best benefit. Also offers insurance

Cons

All commission based. ( although there is a draw, but no hourly pay or salary)

Sales Associate

I have been working at Saks

Pros

The discount is great and you can take advantage of some great sales.

Cons

The HR department will trick you into thinking you will be getting paid a lot more money than you are thinking. Some sharks work in every store so it can be difficult to make your draw aka $$$

I had mixed feelings about this place.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Saks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts on high end brands were always a plus. As a student the flexible work hours fit my schedule accordingly.

Cons

The work environment mirrors that of high school cliques. It was very unprofessional. There is a lot of pressure to meet holiday sale goals.

Advice to Management

Don't play favorites and be fair with scheduling.

It's All About Their Money

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jackson, MS

I worked at Saks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The cons honestly overshadow any possible pros. It's nice in the beginning but then you realize the managers and executives are not as "professional" with the call center agents as they should be.

Cons

The "work-life balance" does not exist for the customer service representatives, this only applies to the managers and executives. It was highly frowned upon to take a restroom break and it wasn't during one of the two 15 minute scheduled breaks. This would be possible if you were able to take your break as needed. But unfortunately, you would come in to work and find a little strip of paper on your keyboard that had what time you had to take your lunch and two breaks. Sometimes I'd go in at 8am, my break would be at 9:15, lunch 11:00, and last break 2:30, then I would leave at 4:30. That takes a toll when you've been taking the brunt of pissed off customers on the phone. An older colleague that sat next to me had 15 minutes until her last break, but was in dire need of a restroom. She knew that if she got up before her scheduled break our department manager would reprimand her (he would have) she stayed at her desk for that 15 minutes and then went to the restroom with wet pants. She asked to go home and change, they deemed it unnecessary because she only had two hours left of her shift and the call volume was expected to increase (it never did). The department manager eventually had a team manager go assist her because she'd been gone over 15 minutes. I heard a crazy noise when she came back and sat down; two female team managers had actually assisted her put on a plastic grocery bag between her undergarments and slacks so she could stay there the last two hours. That's a small fraction of it, it's upsetting to think about the hell I let them put me through. The money really isn't that good, especially when you're sacrificing your happiness and dignity for it. My decision to leave was the smartest thing I think I've ever done in my life. I wish the management team, executives, and Jim Coggin Jr. would feel guilty for the way they treat their associates, but I know they won't. The Elite doesn't lose sleep over such petty things. I knew two associates from saks who committed suicide. I'm glad I left before I joined them. The place made me completely miserable, I cried every morning because I didn't want to go.

Advice to Management

Respect humanity. Don't were silk suits, monogrammed cuffed dress shirts, and fine Italian leather shoes if you can't even give us a frozen turkey for Christmas. We worked so hard during the holidays, and we didn't get anything to let us know you appreciated us. God bless anyone who gets mixed up in this company.