Sakti3 Reviews

Reset
3.6
Ann Marie Sastry

Great opportunity

I have been working at Sakti3 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good pay, and the chance to change the world. All the employees are data driven, focused, and take pride in their contributions to the company and the corporate mission - to make the best batteries on the planet.

Cons

Start up environment, fast paced,. You have to have the start up mindset to thrive at Sakti3. Sometimes priorities change and you have to shift your focus to a new project. But that is typical for a start up company, not much of a con considering the scope of the mission.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster the culture and keep the Safety is job 1 mindset. Continue to select the best contributors and provide the environment to continue the mission to provide the best batteries at a reasonable price, for the entire world.

Jul 8, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We strive to provide best-in-class benefits and compensation while maintaining a fast paced work environment. If you see something we could do better, please do ... More

Grow with the High Tech Startup Company

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Sakti3 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have joined Sakti3 since late 2008 right after I finished my PhD degree, and I really enjoy working in this company. I am a design engineer and here I summarize what I think the good parts of the company: 1. Many opportunities to learn new things: Sakti3 is a startup and there are always new challenges and new things to learn. Other than advanced numerical simulation and experiments, I have learned wide range of things including energy storage including competitor analysis, product design, and cost analysis. 2. Company is willing to grow individuals: The company has the program called professional development activity to advance individual’s professional skills. I have attended many conferences and workshops to strengthen my knowledge and skills to benefit both the company and myself. And most of the time I am encouraged to attend webinars to learn the most recent developed technology. 3. Great people to work with: People are always willing to help each other and view themselves as the owner. I never had any experience that I had to work on some special connections to get things done. There is no competition among teams or individuals. Everyone exhibits interpersonal excellence to best the company. 4. Good environment to grow leadership skills: There are many projects happening on weekly based, and different people can be assigned to take the lead. I have gained lots of leadership skills including communication, coordination, taking responsibility, and having empathy. 5. Transparent management style: For example, the managers always review with other employees and welcome the feedbacks after an important meeting. All the processes are reviewed and questions are explained under the ethical and logical rules. I find it quite helpful and it introduces no friction between the management team and me. 6. Company really cares about employees: As a high tech company, Sakti3 puts safety as the highest priority. The company is taking this extremely seriously. Everyone can drop what he or she is doing right away if there is a safety concern. I feel safe to work here. In addition to the safety, quarterly lunch and learn section teaches employees many useful tips including good diet, reducing stress, good night sleep, etc. And special events like celebration of achievement, happy hour section, and holiday lunch do help create the strong bonding to the company and other employees, and reduce the work pressure. 7. Other individual assistance: The company has this new welcoming package to help orientation for new hires not only in professional workplace but also in new life of Ann Arbor. Personally, when I had some delayed issue of my immigration application, the CEO was happy to help me to expedite the process. I am truly grateful for that. 8. Benefit: The salary and health insurance benefits are way above the average level. Other benefits including 401k and holiday/vacation days are satisfactory. Overall the benefit is quite luxury for a startup company.

Cons

The pace in a startup company is quite different from the university. It took me some time to adjust myself for the new pace. But now I have no issue with it.

Advice to Management

Don’t forget to take some break and rest yourselves even at the busiest moment. And thank you for the trust and support.

Jun 18, 2015 – Human Resources

Our team’s willingness and commitment to grow has been a huge factor in our ability to build our technology and company. The team’s response to professional development activities, and the ... More

Mission-Driven, Great Place to Work with Excellent Team

I have been working at Sakti3 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mission-driven: Sakti3 is a high tech startup that has a great potential to bring the solid-state battery technology into reality and change the world. For people who believe the energy storage is the number one problem right now and for the next decades, this is the place to work for. It is rewarding and meaningful as it is challenging. Like most of promising startups that are working on new technologies, the growth potential for the company and for the employees is huge. Impact that each person can make to the progress of the company is very real and direct. Work environment: As a company, Sakti3 has a strong culture of collaboration, innovation, and a commitment to diversity. Co-workers are smart and just great to work with. There are many flexible spaces for formal/informal meetings, white boards, and extra chairs. We also participate in interviewing new people and have a chance to give a feedback regardless of her/his position. Everyone is involved in team building and that’s why we all like to work together. New members are not placed by some big HR department. Innovation is a big part of work at Sakti3. As it is developing a new technology, it is natural for us to make up something completely new or improve what is available. This applies not only for the technical work but also for the project management and business practices. Sakti3 is pretty diverse work place with mixed genders, races, and technical backgrounds. Teamwork vs. micromanaging: If and when the management helps to solve the problem by giving technical input and providing necessary resources, it is not micromanagement. That is exactly what responsible management should do. Give you worthy problems and help you solve the problems. Sakti3 has a strong culture of teamwork. The CEO and management team is responsible for the progress of the company but they do not sit back and wave papers at you. The CEO is always there to help to solve the toughest problem in the company. So are the managers within their teams. I personally learned so much from the CEO and other team members because we work together all the time. Location, location, location: The company is located in Ann Arbor, Michigan. My family and I love this place as our home. It is a small-to-mid size college town with its deep culture, a great public school system, and really a quality of life.

Cons

If anyone wants more of a routine job in a rigid organization, Sakti3 is not a good fit. For anyone enjoys dynamic, exciting work environment, there is little down side as I see it.

Jun 18, 2015 – Human Resources

We know that working on something that has never been done before is exciting, but also high-risk. Especially in early days, this meant that the persistence of the team was essential – and thank you ... More

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

I am very pleased with my job at Sakti3. It is very exciting to work on an important technology that has huge potential of improving people’s lives in multiple sectors. The leadership team of the company are dedicated to create a great work environment for everybody. The CEO offers all employees tremendous space for personal growth. As an engineer, I was well supported to grow professionally. I feel very fortunate that I have been given great opportunities to apply and develop my numerical skills. For example, besides optimizing our battery designs and optimizing our battery controls, I was also supported to expand my skills to optimizing manufacturing processes, optimizing production tool designs, and product cost projections, which was very exciting for me. Through the process, I was introduced, by the management team, to experts in the related fields, both inside and outside our company. Specifically, I was provided opportunities to work with Business Team and Process Team inside our company to improve the models I built and fed my models with more realistic input parameters. Furthermore, the company provided me opportunity of touring several advanced manufacturing facilities, which helped me to concretize my modeling working on tool design and plant optimization. I also had meetings to discuss production tools and plants with a leader in the field who heads the production of a world renowned electronics company. All the modeling and optimization work produced valuable projections that contributed significantly to both business and technical developments of our company. The leadership team have created a culture of helpful mindset and are committed to maintain this culture. Over the years, I have received lots of help from colleagues in the same team of mine, from members of other teams, and from the CEO. For example, Process Team have always helped me to figure out the inputs for my battery models, process models, and tool design models. Business Team have worked seamlessly with me to both import data to my models and export data from my modeling work. The CEO has been continuously engaging in technical discussion with me and other engineers. I feel fortunate to work with a CEO who has outstanding technical background and knowledge. I have been always helped and inspired by the discussion with the CEO. The leadership team sincerely care about the employees and are definitely serious about maintaining work and life balance for all employees. In my own experience, there were even occasions where the CEO went above and beyond to accommodate my family needs. For that, I feel really grateful.

Cons

I do not see any downsides working at Sakti3.

Jun 18, 2015 – Human Resources

We appreciate it when people grow here professionally, and learn the skills needed to do things that have never been done before. We know this requires hard work and commitment, and we are grateful ... More

Solid State Battery Company WorkPlace Excellent Awardee

Current Employee - Vice President Engineer and Co-Founder in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Vice President Engineer and Co-Founder in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Sakti3 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sakti3 has recently changed its social networking policy after its intellectual properties were secured. The staffs can now comment on Sakti3’s work environment, culture, benefit, and the reasons that we choose to work for Sakti3 in social media, without disclosing confidential and proprietary information. I cofounded Sakti3 in 2008. It has always been fun experience to me because we are always working on challenging problems and technologies that will change the world with outstanding personnel. I am proud of being part of Sakti3 and appreciate the opportunity to grow and to establish various knowledge. Especially, thanks to the CEO’s guidance and leadership, I could follow and learn from her examples to be a manager. The CEO puts a lot of thoughts and efforts in establishing excellent workplace culture. Here, I would like to share my experience about Sakti3’s work environment from a manager’s perspective. Pros: Data Driven: Sakti3 started its technology from mathematical modeling. Decisions are made based on numerical data, instead of making decision emotionally. Although it takes effort to generate and analyze data, this factual base process improves efficiency to form consensus and reduces the mistake significantly. Transparency: Sakti3 is transparent about the directions of the company. The CEO hosts weekly meeting to discuss company directions and each team tasks. She always provides explanation so that we can have thoughtful alignment. The CEO could, instead, just give orders, but her benevolent awareness and data driven philosophies are why she spends time on explaining the approaches and gain feedback on company’s direction publicly. It is important to have everyone buy-in the idea and provide purposeful engagement. Employee growth and learning opportunities: These benefits are always supported and encouraged by the company. For example, company supported me to visit the national laboratory to identify possible venue that might be benefit for my job functions, such as the material characterization equipment, and venue to discuss with experts in science and math. Company also provides lunch-and-learn program about healthy living style to every staff members. The topics discussed during lunch-and-learn were decided by everyone’s preference. I found them very useful and could apply those knowledge to my daily activities. Interpersonal Excellence: Based on the anonymous survey results, everyone at Sakti3 thinks their coworkers are great. This is not only because they are nice, it is because they exhibit benevolent awareness, active helpfulness, thoughtful alignment, and purposeful engagement. Because we are data driven company, we are not making decision based on political reason. Therefore, everyone can feel comfortable in Sakti3. Sakti3 is very flat in terms of hierarchy. If I have question, I can ask for help to any team members including CEO. This applies to everyone in the company too. For a manager, Sakti3 provides a venue to discuss issues that I am facing, and gains advices. At the same time, I can learn from the discussions and gain awareness what had happened in other parts of my organization.

Cons

Because Sakti3 is data driven company, data generation, collection, and analysis take longer time in some cases to have results back. During waiting period, it could make people not involved in the process very anxious.

Advice to Management

Keep up good work on maintaining good work environment.

Jun 18, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for sharing you experiences! We consulted best practices and updated our policies to make it clear that employees are permitted to share their experiences relating to company culture ... More

Be part of the team that will change the world and improve people’s lives

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

I’ve been with the company for more than 6 years. I know the CEO very well and the founding team even before joining the company, and that’s why I joined the company in the first place. Over the years, like any other industry, there were ups and downs in the clean tech industry. The great recession hit hard the industry, especially the battery sector. Investment dried up, and many of our competitors went down. We stayed low-key to get through the tough time and not to give up on the mission because the energy storage technology is so important that everything else depends on it. Think about it. During that period, we had to downsize the company to survive. It was the one of the most difficult time in the company’s history, but without that pain we wouldn’t be here today. The CEO took her own pay cut, while keeping the rest of the team unaffected. She really cares about this mission and the team who makes it possible. I’m writing this because I really want people to know how much she cares about the team, and she will do anything for the team, which I was able to see more closely than others. She will take a bullet for the team, literally. Six years ago, I started as an engineer, and through the on-going journey, I grew to become a member of the management team, and now interact with global experts in various fields inside and outside the company on a regular basis. We see that the opportunities in front of us are enormous, and all of us will grow to become a leader. We don’t want to be a big company just to be a big company. We work hard to preserve the culture we created and have today when we grow because we believe we can make a bigger impact in the world this way. We talk plainly, discuss issues transparently, and continuously solicit feedbacks from every member of the company. I know it’s not “normal.” We want to be a great company, not a “normal” big company. So, join the team. Be a part of the team that makes difference.

Cons

It is our culture that we focus on positives, and make things better. So, no Cons.

Jun 18, 2015 – Human Resources

We lived through some interesting times in cleantech! And we are grateful to have been able to secure support and investment even through the economic downturn. It required some tough choices, and ... More

If you are considering Sakti3 for employment - RUN AWAY

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Sakti3 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no Pros, the CEO is impossible to work for. The information from former employees on this site was powerful and accurate

Cons

Slaving at Sakti3 means not having a life or any balance in your life. The CEO recruits people out of good positions only to terminate them at her whim. She recruits top talent and then drives it out of the company. Slavery is alive and well at Sakti3.

Advice to Management

The Board should replace the CEO if they hope to make any money on their investment. The Board should wise up and find out what is really going on.

Jul 8, 2015 – Human Resources

Sakti3 welcomes feedback – positive or negative, and we encourage all employees to contact us anonymously if they wish at info@sakti3.com so that we can help resolve and address concerns immediately ... More

CEO ruined the company.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Amazing coworkers, free food.

Cons

CEO micromanages every square inch of the company. She lies to your face about "ethics" and "culture". The work schedule is 80+ hours a week with poor benefits. Stock options are a joke for the amount of work. Can't retain good employees due to lack of benefits, long work week and overbearing CEO. What once was a promising company has been driven into the ground. CEO is unrealistic about the technology.

Advice to Management

It's too late in the game for advice. CEO is obviously clutching at straws at this point.

Jun 4, 2015 – Human Resources

Sakti3 welcomes feedback – positive or negative, and we encourage all employees to give feedback to their managers (pulled every day in formal team meetings) or to contact us anonymously if they wish ... More

Once Promising Start-up Being Driven into the Ground

I have been working at Sakti3 full-time

Pros

Front line staff is phenomenal to work with. The only way to survive is to form an allegiance with your coworkers and that is very easy to do because they are all great!

Cons

The company culture is a huge sham. The leaders tell us how to "act" and "behave" when we have visitors or when the BOD is on site. The CEO has many faces depending on who is in the building. Micromanagement is to an extreme. Upper management takes turns throwing each other under the bus rather than focusing on company goals.

Advice to Management

Have more interest in running your company rather than micromanaging the fine details. Hypocrisy is the biggest killer of trust.

Jun 4, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are sorry that you did not have a positive experience. Sakti3 takes this feedback seriously and we encourage all employees to use our open door policy and ... More

Stressful work environment

Former Employee - Purchasing Agent in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Purchasing Agent in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

-The co-workers are great! - Small growing company

Cons

-Management is controlling, disrespectful and unprofessional -Stressful environment -Management has a difficult time delegating tasks so there is a lot of down time

Advice to Management

If you want the company to be successful, you should treat your employees with respect so they, in turn, respect you. Furthermore, creating a respectful environment where people want to work for you would also make them want to work harder for you and help your company succeed. Belittling employees and instilling fear and a lack of job security is not the best way to run an office, in my opinion.

Jun 4, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your experience. Sakti3 strives to be the employer of choice and we are sorry you did not have a positive experience. Sakti3 has undergone significant changes in leadership ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed