Salary.com Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Salary.com Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Kenexa Nooruddin (Rudy) S. Karsan
Nooruddin (Rudy) S. Karsan

1. This company has great potential

Former Employee - Vice President in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Needham, MA

Pros

This company levels the playing field for employees trying to get paid fairly.

Cons

Company mgmt not sure what it wants company to be when it grows up.

Advice to Management

Focus

2. Old Salary was a great experience now under new management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

Pros

Great People, good core products, can make some money if you hang around. great first job, But the company was recently sold so the culture has changed. The core products in compensation are very strong, Decent sales structure and enviornment

Cons

grew too fast, management and CEO not in agreement of long term goals for company. Company under new management now so who knows what will happen.

3. It is good that Salary.com has been sold out

Current Employee - Software Project Manager in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Software Project Manager in Needham, MA

Pros

Good medical benefits. Relaxed work hours. Always something new developments. Casual dress code. Good products, but still more room for growth.

Cons

Sick Senior management team. After Salary.com went to public, Senior management does nothing except checking stock price 20 times per day, having meetings all the day to talk about stock price. They did nothing to improve the products. Very poor communication to employees, always cheating. No humanity during layoffs.

Advice to Management

It is good that Salary.com has been sold out. Please do not repeat the worst management you did at Salary.com any where else.

a good place to improve your knowledge, but not a good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

Pros

Many new staff, techs and resouses are shared. co-workers are friendly. Learn a lot when you work on projects.

Cons

much lower salary than fair market value. sales, software development, and compensation teams are outsourced. Most people work overtime. People have to on-call after work to support oversea branchs, but this overtime job is not counted. They expected people to work 9 or even 12hr per day.

Advice to Management

Growing too fast could be a risk.

6. Decent

Former Employee - MIS Intern in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - MIS Intern in Waltham, MA

Pros

The company seems to be doing well, and the people are nice enough. The managers are particularly good. Good location.

Cons

Not a lot of brilliant people, and nobody goes the extra mile. Not impressed with the upper level- they change their mind too much.

Advice to Management

Don't make decisions based on short term events- you need to provide stability or the employees get confused about where the company is going.

7. The grass isn't always greener, but for me it is

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

Pros

As a relatively new employee I have to say that I am very pleased with my experience at Salary.com. I have been with the company for six months now and left a company I was with for 5 years to come here. I was miserable in my old job, but was nervous about moving on because as they say, "the grass isn't always greener on the other side". Boy was I wrong. I am VERY pleased with my job here, my manager is really great and fun to work with and I think we have a strong leadership team. Kent keeps people on their toes in terms of his expectations and his high energy, but it's very inspiring. My last job I had a CEO who we never saw and he only cared about coasting to retirement. So it's nice to work for a leader who has alot of passion for the company and listens to his people. Am so glad I found this job.

Cons

There are a lot of meetings...too many for a small company in my opinion. I was used to that in my old company, but it was much, much bigger and there was alot of red tape to deal with. Also it is frustrating that people I talk to in my network only think of the company as a compensation company (we have payroll, performance software, and other stuff too). They need to fix that. More stock would also be nice too.

Advice to Management

My only advice is to leverage your people and learn from the people who work for you, we have alot to offer..

8. Lots of potential if the company executes appropriately...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

Pros

The company has a lot of smart, talented people who have a ton of passion for the business. The product roadmap is strong and there are a lot of exciting things that the company is working on. The challenge is for senior management to make sure that they work together to develop the proper execution strategy to meet or exceed goals. The CEO and senior management team are definitely dedicated to the company and its success.

Cons

Some of the "long-time" employees have gone a little sour and are stuck in the past, and should probably move on. It makes it harder for newer employees who don't have their baggage and are trying to focus on the future, not what happened 5 or 6 years ago.

Advice to Management

Stay the course and work together to develop strategies to meet business objectives, and keep the lines of communication open with employees.

9. Great Potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

Pros

Salary.com has some great opportunities and nearly all of the employees are passionate about their work. Once everyone is working in concert, things move quickly. Kent has fabulous vision.

Cons

Organization, focus and discipline are challenges for Salary.com. Getting everyone focused takes a long time and clear direction isn't always readily available.

Advice to Management

Define a long-term course of action and stick with it. Do not lose focus on the ultimate goal by trying to do too much too quickly and taking shortcuts.

10. Great place to work

Current Employee - Account Executive in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Needham, MA

Pros

I've been with salary.com for over two years now and have to say that this is by far the best company I've worked at. Great culture and people and good pay and benefits, no complaints. It's the people that make it fun to come to work everyday. Strong management team and leadership, CEO is really accessible and knows the business better than anyone.

Cons

Not a lot - good have a better office situation. Cubes are tough for sales people on calls

Advice to Management

Good job

Incompetent management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Pros

The people here were quite passionate and talented. But unfortunately led by a mediocre management, it all comes to a naught.

Cons

The company is run by a dictator CEO and a CTO. What anyone else has to offer does not matter. Unless these are two think it is a good thing, nothing will happen. They never talk to customers, but build complicated unusable products. Development is done in China (CTO is Chinese) and the product quality is poor. The CTO was the first engineering manager and his capabilities are nothing more than that. The company has no product strategy - it is completely based on the whims of the CEO. Why else would you have two talent management platforms, an HRIS solution something the company has no expertise in? The CEO spends so much time talking about the stock price in every company meeting - why because he owns a ton of stock. It is never about the customer, but all about stock price as to how undervalued the company is. Look at the company website, it has not changed since ages. A year back, the company decided to go from $8 million cash positive to $1 million cash negative spending all of that on marketing and sales. Then in Jan 2009, 100 employees were laid off including the entire marketing team. Even the CMO was left go recently. Go figure, you blow $9M in 1 year and let go the entire marketing team? The board is stacked with CEO friendly directors who will never challenge the CEO. If you want to work for a place where you will have no sense of job satisfaction, where all that matters are what the CEO and CTO think, this is the place to be.

Advice to Management

Board of directors wake up and get a new management if you want this company to survive.

RSS Feed </> Embed