Salem Communications Reviews

1. Rewards and Challenges Abound Working for Salem Communications

Current Employee - Vice President in Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Love the mission and purpose of the company. The greatest and most talented people in media are often attracted to Salem.

Cons

To my knowledge, Salem has never offered a personalized structured training and development program so as to motivate personal and professional growth in their employees

Advice to Management

Develop an in-house program that develops the talents, skills and abilities of employees both in the field and at the corporate office

2. Salem has a friendly atmosphere and works as a team to get the job done and get the message out there.

Current Employee - Accountant in Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The corporate accounting department works together as a team. You do not feel that you are out in left field, or that there is no one to ask. There is always cooperation and support to get the job done on time. There are always chances to ask questions and cross train in other areas. It is a positive working environment.

Cons

I don't feel that there are real opportunities to grow in a career. There is always support and training to gain more experience, but not chances to grow to another or higher level along a career path.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve on communications to the employees. This has been improving over the last few years, but it is important so that we all feel we are working toward the same end. Please keep sharing the plans, goals, outlooks, and our status meeting them.

3. Salem Communications is my "family" away from home.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Every individual I've come into contact with at Salem has a genuine, caring and interested heart. No matter what the task, or the problem I am encountering (work or personal) there is a helping hand.

Cons

I can't think of any. Perhaps a few less chiefs and a few more Indians?

5. It is invaluable to the strength and success of this company - that the TOP Leadership are devoted Christians.Thank you!

Current Employee - Executive Support in Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Support in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Salem does recognize and reward its bright hardworking stars with promotions. Lovely people, it's so nice to be in a business atmosphere where there aren't any angry outbursts, cursing, or ugly power games going on. Salem folks are basically nice happy family folk. It's a fun place to work, with lots of great food!

Cons

A large company with not enough cross communication ( : ha ha Salem Communications) creates unnecessary confusion and delays.

Advice to Management

Performance reviews and increases seem to be tucked under- can we open the process a bit? Are increases performance driven?

Increase the radio staff members pay? We have a lot of turnover in the that level of staff and they work really, really hard with many hats on their shelf. Realizing that expenses are high right now, this may not make sense. But recruiting and hiring is an expensive process as well... Basically this company always strives to improve, so I have faith that God will lead on with more improvements.

6. I have met a lot of great people here.

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time

Pros

I would say the people are the best part of working here. It seems to draw Christians even though that is not a requirement by any means to working here. It is such a pleasure to not have all the backstabbing that I have seen in other companies. Everyone is very supportive of each other.

Cons

I would say the benefits are not the greatest. We have lost some really good people because of the benefits.

7. Salem has been a blessing in my life. Great career move for me, and has been a positive influence on my life.

Current Employee - Accounting in Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The companies mission and the people you get to work with on a daily basis.

Cons

The pressures of being a public company can be high, from the top down.

8. Growth opportunities for those willing to do the work, show commitment, skill, initiative and take ownership.

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Love what we are all about, the core values, mission and the commitment to Christian Teaching and Talk from ownership down even though we are now a publicly held company. It would be easy to compromise on quality. Love the family-environment with caring supervisors and coworkers. Love being exposed to good teaching, books, cd's other media randomly. Can listen online to great Christian music while working. Is sensitive to employees who commute far to work at home occasionally or on a regular basis. Get to go home early sometimes prior to holiday weekends. Gifts for Christmas, financial or family-oriented -- bonus checks or turkeys or hams; opportunity to see pastor events locally or interface with our clients. People really make an effort to try to do the right and best thing for the company and employee. More than pleasant office environment with latest equipment, software and training as applicable. I have personally been paid well considering I am not a college graduate. My work has been recognized and I am regularly affirmed and given much opportunity; have had great bosses who are understanding, committed and compassionate. Tries to keep employees healthy physically in light of new health care laws, provide great morale, social opportunities amongst different departments. Is open to suggestions.

Cons

Inequities in salaries amongst the rank and file; low amount of holidays and time off, discouraged long vacations--no more than one-week at a time; otherwise frowned upon. Folks can work really hard and not get what they deserve financially unless they give notice -- then out come all the stops to get them to stay at a more equitable rate for the area they live in for similar work in organizations within the county. Considering our values we don't take this all into consideration and we don't consistently take Good Friday off every year which I think is a poor witness to the community.

Advice to Management

Better pay for what is expected in order to keep people longer without frequent turnover which is a hardship on all especially those around the position with lots of changes. It develops a don't care, who cares attitude and lack of loyalty and commitment if it doesn't mean enough to the company to invest in the employee to keep them. When the economy is better, talented and skilled people are forced to go elsewhere to support family's needs at expense of environment they would like to stay in because increases are so low and barely cover cost of living. More holidays and/or personal days off should be granted; perhaps a flex schedule--every other Fri off in exchange for 9 hour days or similar. More vacation time in shorter length of service. The company does a great job at holding medical benefit costs down, but it would be great to get some more of that paid for or shared with the employee, considering it's a group plan or something. A profit sharing plan or higher contribution to 401K helpful.

9. Good with Bad

Current Employee - Anonymous in Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome coworkers both in the office as well as the field.

Cons

Poor pay, takes forever to get more than 2 weeks vacation and almost impossible to change departments.

Advice to Management

Try having a conversation with your employees once in awhile.

Salary too low to keep good people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time

Pros

Love the people and the platform the company runs on

Cons

Salary too low, Time off policy needs to be revamped. Takes too long to accrue 2 weeks and then it's frowned upon if you want to take 2 weeks together.

Advice to Management

Instead of the executives taking the huge bonuses each year, they should take the bonus money and spread it over their individual departments to give their employees more than a 2% increase per year, or at least reward their top performers with more than 2%. $20 per paycheck increase is just not enough to keep up with the rising costs of everything. I would image there is more money spent in the recruiting process of new employees to replace the good ones leaving for more money and better benefits, than to give the current employees a better raise each year.

11. Overall a good company

Current Employee - Deskside Support in Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Deskside Support in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time

Pros

Flexibility, good management and never micro managed. People vary but overall are good
    Benefits are ok but could be better.

Cons

They do not pay emloyees what they should be making.
    Can be way to political at times.
    People like to bash certain politicians openly