Salem Communications

Updated September 29, 2014
3.8

Salem Communications CEO and Director Edward G. Atsinger III
Edward G. Atsinger III

Pros
  • Positive work environment depending on department and people (in 11 reviews)

• I like coming to work everyday because there is very little excess drama (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • In most companies I've worked for getting to the next level of vacation time is a bit faster (in 9 reviews)

• Very few other benefits to make up for low pay scale (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Working with Salem has been a blessing. The work/relational environment is very healthy.

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I like coming to work everyday because there is very little excess drama. Most of the employees take pride in their work and come together to keep things flowing smoothly. I also appreciate that I can be open with my Christian faith without fear of retribution.

Cons

One of the drawbacks of working here is low to average pay. I am a salaried manager and often work more than a standard 40hrs However, when i have asked how i can make more, i am always told to start selling. Well, selling does not work for everyone and i am capable of more responsibility in other areas to justify a higher salary.

Create clear pathways for dedicated employees to continue to advance in salary/responsibility without necessarily becoming a salesman.

Inspiring, Integrity and Involved are 3 words I'd use to describe the essence of my time at Salem.

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In my division, I feel treated with respect the majority of the time. We have a cohesive group working to just do the RIGHT thing at all times.

Cons

Communication - there are so many people in so many places. Fast and easy to use tools to support our work.

We could cover more ground if given more tools to pull from such as proposal templates. Power of Vitality is just one more thing that we have to keep track of in order to keep our personal costs low and maintaining the lower rate! Simplify!

Great work atmosphere, with leadership that looks after their employees.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time

Pros

Drama-free work atmosphere. Management does a great job at bringing in new hires that fit in and want to contribute. Good benefits and a lot of flexibility when personal time is needed. In my team and from my experience, even after stressful situations, we recognize the overall mission and can see that our work makes a difference in people's lives.

Cons

There are no annual reviews for employees. Promotions and pay increases are tough to come by and require a heavy push from supervisors. There is really no attempt to help employees grow personally, and no

Reward your employees with compensation increases more regularly. Control your expenses by setting a budget or cap on expenses allotted. I have seen sellers take clients out on very luxurious trips/restaurants, etc. that abuse the benefit of their corporate card. Encourage and set a system in place for personal growth for employees.

Good Company, Limited Opportunity

Current Employee - Operations Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salem has been a fine employer for me for the many years I have been here. They have been stable and steady, a rarity among radio companies. They allow its employees to the flexibility to work in a way that suits them, as long as they meet their goals. I believe that contributes to the overall positive attitude from colleagues across the company,

Cons

Opportunities for promotions and/or advancement is very limited. Performance reviews can be stellar, but that rarely translates into promotions or a significant raise. It is enormously frustrating.

You have employees that can be great assets to you. They want to do more. Take them up on it.

Pro's and Con's

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are amazing, and I have been able to acquire many skills. My cluster is smaller, therefore, it feels like a tight knit family.

Cons

There is not much room for growth, and the culture seems to be sexist. The salespeople are not given proper tools and often seem to be treated in a demeaning fashion.

I feel that upper management's salary tends to be bloated, henceforth, there is too much scrutiny with the underlings whose position is equally as crucial to the organization. The underlings are the first to get cut, which makes the others' having to work twice harder for the same lower pay to compensate for that added loss.

Salem Communications is an awesome company to work for!

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salem Communications has created a family friendly culture that spills over into all it's divisions. Everyone here acts like we are one family and treat one another with courtesy and respect. They have a matching 401-K plan which today, not all companies do and fair amount of sick days and even weather days off.

Cons

Because some of the Salem Stations are smaller even if in larger markets, they can't afford to promote themselves as much in the community.

Salem is the best company I have ever had the pleasure of working!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

After being in the radio business for 20 years and then coming to Salem for the last 5, I can wholeheartedly say Salem is an outstanding company to work for. The goals they set for their employees are achievable and everyone participates in making the individual successful. It is clear that Salem values their employees as their number one asset and treats them accordingly.

Cons

The challenges I face are not specific to Salem but to the industry as a whole. It is more difficult than ever to carve out radio's piece of the advertising pie, however Salem is on the cutting edge of always reinventing and producing new product to bring to the marketplace.

I honestly have nothing negative to say about management. I believe every person I deal with on a daily basis in management is doing a great job and has the company's best interests at heart.

Salem - Great Environment

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The welcoming office environment and excellent management. Great sales support team who works together on daily tasks. Leaving work feeling accomplished with little to no stress.

Cons

New benefit plans...current benefit packages are not ideal to the average employee.

Management is great , I just wish there was more access to research apps as other companies have.

Serving at Salem has been a wonderful blessing!

Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salem is ministry minded while having strong business savvy at the same time. I'm grateful for the strong team we have here & that we all work together so well to provide great radio! It benefits our listeners & clients so much!

Cons

It would be nice if board ops could be paid at least a little bit more per hour.

If there is any way to increase hourly rates, even just a little bit, that would be great.

Out of all of the companies with whom I've been employed, Salem is the best

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People are treated respectfully, fairly. There are guiding principles that are not just talked about but are actually used day to day

Cons

Not enough support to which we can turn in order to free up time to do the jobs in which we've been hired

Culture is superb. Do we have a plan for what our business will look like in the next 5 years? Radio revenue is dwindling each year.