Salem Communications

Updated September 17, 2014
3.7

Salem Communications CEO and Director Edward G. Atsinger III
Edward G. Atsinger III

Great work atmosphere, with leadership that looks after their employees.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time

Pros

Drama-free work atmosphere. Management does a great job at bringing in new hires that fit in and want to contribute. Good benefits and a lot of flexibility when personal time is needed. In my team and from my experience, even after stressful situations, we recognize the overall mission and can see that our work makes a difference in people's lives.

Cons

There are no annual reviews for employees. Promotions and pay increases are tough to come by and require a heavy push from supervisors. There is really no attempt to help employees grow personally, and no

Reward your employees with compensation increases more regularly. Control your expenses by setting a budget or cap on expenses allotted. I have seen sellers take clients out on very luxurious trips/restaurants, etc. that abuse the benefit of their corporate card. Encourage and set a system in place for personal growth for employees.

Salem Communications is an awesome company to work for!

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salem Communications has created a family friendly culture that spills over into all it's divisions. Everyone here acts like we are one family and treat one another with courtesy and respect. They have a matching 401-K plan which today, not all companies do and fair amount of sick days and even weather days off.

Cons

Because some of the Salem Stations are smaller even if in larger markets, they can't afford to promote themselves as much in the community.

Pro's and Con's

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Co-workers are amazing, and I have been able to acquire many skills. My cluster is smaller, therefore, it feels like a tight knit family.

Cons

There is not much room for growth, and the culture seems to be sexist. The salespeople are not given proper tools and often seem to be treated in a demeaning fashion.

I feel that upper management's salary tends to be bloated, henceforth, there is too much scrutiny with the underlings whose position is equally as crucial to the organization. The underlings are the first to get cut, which makes the others' having to work twice harder for the same lower pay to compensate for that added loss.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Salem is the best company I have ever had the pleasure of working!

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

After being in the radio business for 20 years and then coming to Salem for the last 5, I can wholeheartedly say Salem is an outstanding company to work for. The goals they set for their employees are achievable and everyone participates in making the individual successful. It is clear that Salem values their employees as their number one asset and treats them accordingly.

Cons

The challenges I face are not specific to Salem but to the industry as a whole. It is more difficult than ever to carve out radio's piece of the advertising pie, however Salem is on the cutting edge of always reinventing and producing new product to bring to the marketplace.

I honestly have nothing negative to say about management. I believe every person I deal with on a daily basis in management is doing a great job and has the company's best interests at heart.

Salem - Great Environment

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

The welcoming office environment and excellent management. Great sales support team who works together on daily tasks. Leaving work feeling accomplished with little to no stress.

Cons

New benefit plans...current benefit packages are not ideal to the average employee.

Management is great , I just wish there was more access to research apps as other companies have.

Serving at Salem has been a wonderful blessing!

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salem is ministry minded while having strong business savvy at the same time. I'm grateful for the strong team we have here & that we all work together so well to provide great radio! It benefits our listeners & clients so much!

Cons

It would be nice if board ops could be paid at least a little bit more per hour.

If there is any way to increase hourly rates, even just a little bit, that would be great.

Out of all of the companies with whom I've been employed, Salem is the best

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

People are treated respectfully, fairly. There are guiding principles that are not just talked about but are actually used day to day

Cons

Not enough support to which we can turn in order to free up time to do the jobs in which we've been hired

Culture is superb. Do we have a plan for what our business will look like in the next 5 years? Radio revenue is dwindling each year.

Seventeen Fortunate Years

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have the opportunity to use my skills to promote safe for the entire family entertainment. We have a work environment where employees are treated with respect. We exist to serve our customers, both our listeners and advertising clients. This isn't simply lip service for Salem. It's our core values.

Cons

At times, I would like to see the company invest more resources into promoting our radio stations so more people can find this great programming.

Awesome Conservative Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time

Pros

I really enjoy the perks in the office and the fact that they readily supply you with the tools necessary to succeed. The atmosphere has a great balance of work and fun and the people are fantastic. They've done a great job of hiring people that fit the office culture and are GREAT at their area of expertise.

Cons

In most companies I've worked for getting to the next level of vacation time is a bit faster. You have to complete 11 years before you get 3 weeks of paid vacation. Salary could be a bit higher to match that of competitors.

Stand strong in the conservative values you've adopted. Don't give in to the winds of change no matter how popular those changes are.

I like working here

I have been working at Salem Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great values and programming. We really help people by broadcasting informative, supportive and uplifting shows and ministries.

Cons

We don't do enough external marketing to build station and website audiences.

Consider providing radio stations with marketing budgets not tied to revenue. With a little push, more people would listen. Even after 11 years I run into way too many people that have never heard of us.

Worked for Salem Communications? Contribute to the Community!