Salem Communications

Add Photos

Salem Communications CEO and Director Edward G. Atsinger III

Edward G. Atsinger III

Publicly traded Christian Company

ProsA lot of nice people. This isn't quite the place for cutthroat sharks if you're looking for a caring environment. (Maybe there are some sharks, but most if any don't stay long)

ConsTime off, compensation aren't big. There is definitely a struggle to balance "Christian" with "Publicly traded". "Publicly traded" wins more often, especially if your back is against the wall trying to make budget month after month.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to foster long term company growth opportunities. Throwing out crazy ideas to save the month's budget isn't sustainable.

Gained extensive experience in sales, marketing, and HR while serving as an intern.

Marketing Intern (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

Pros- Received excellent training during those 5 months
    - Even though I was "just the intern", they treated me like I was part of their team

Cons- Going in to work each day knowing that I wasn't getting paid
    - Lack of communication between various departments

Advice to Senior ManagementClear communication is key, and make organizing your various departments a priority. Start with the promotions inventory closet...

Good Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIn general, the people are mission-minded and have a strong appreciation for each other. There are multiple events for the community and a desire to serve clients in the best way possible.

ConsPublicly traded company working in the faith-based arena can present challenges, but overall Salem balances things about as well as it can be done.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fair, with room for improvement.

Control Room Operator (Current Employee)

ProsFor a top-five radio market, the starting pay is very good. In addition, the stations I work for are staffed with knowledgeable and friendly people. When I am there, it is a very relaxing environment and there is lots of room to learn and grow.

One fear I had was, as a non-believer, I would be pushed into subscribing to the fundamentalist, evangelical form of Christianity the company promotes on their talk/teaching stations. Thankfully, this is not the case.

ConsThe firm claims to operate on faith-based values, but it's lost in the actual application. Most programming decisions are based on who pays the most $$$ for the airtime. That applies for the Christian talk- and conservative talk-formatted stations. Outside programmers believe they own the joint and can be difficult to deal with at times. Also, the company's third-tier right-wing talk stations are broadcasting a format that will not exist in the next five-to-ten years, and their efforts to push a political agenda are disingenuous and at times, insulting. Somehow, I don't think that's what Jesus would want to hear.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are a Christian company, then remember: you can't serve two masters. Pick one side.

Very good experience working with nice people

Receptionist (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsEmployees who really care about their listeners
    Perks such as free concert tickets and events
    Pleasant work environment

ConsPay could be a little bit more competitive

There is not oportuniy to grow nor incentive $

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree tickets for shows for me

ConsPay rate. Mc Donald's pays better.

Advice to Senior ManagementPray

They're Not Christian- They're Capitalist

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFacilities are decent and pay scale is average for market. The Christian format is great and much needed in our society.

ConsLong hours are expected with no compensation, when they say jump you'd better jump. Pay increases are based on the "buddy system" If you don't schmooze, then you lose.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really need to read the Bible again....especially the part about the "rich" getting into
    Heaven. Then there is a part about loving your brother....

great place to work - really.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthe people really to care about each other and they take care of their customers

Consi dont have any cons to list for salem - it was a great place to work

One of the better "big box" radio companies to work for

ProsRadio is supposed to be fun. Salem is one of the few big box companies that hasn't forgotten that. Not only are they a great company to work for, but being a Christian company makes it even better. It's a very positive work environment for both Christian and non-Christian employees.

ConsRadio jobs no longer pay well, thanks to Corporate radio companies. The pay is not that great, however, compared to other radio companies, you may be able to score a buck or two more than your counterparts at the other big box radio companies.

Good Place to start, not to grow

Not Programming Related, Just Office (Current Employee) Tallahassee, FL

ProsFamily oriented, likable. Comfortable, pays the bills. Good starting point for people for broadcasting people.

ConsLow pay, God is "first" but not really. Business is always first. There is no room to grow and there is no opportunities to expand.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave better control over your staff, realize what you have. Control you budget, don't over-expend. Meet your goals, it's not hard just done the wrong way. Focus on the Mission and Ultimate Goal which is to WORK for Christ and not on the Mission of Money, that's not going to take you far. Satan uses desperation to make us lose focus and you lost it LOOONG time ago.

Worked for Salem Communications? Contribute to the Community!