Salem Hospital Reviews

3.1
Norm Gruber

1. great comapany

I have been working at Salem Hospital full-time

Pros

great staff to work with

Cons

wish management would listen to employees suggestions more

2. amazing

Former Employee - Liaison in Salem, MA
    Former Employee - Liaison in Salem, MA

I worked at Salem Hospital part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

getting to meet amazing people, interact with great surgeons, exceed and move up quickly

Cons

I would have to say sometimes the doctors are a little grouchy

3. RN salary 6+ years experience

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Salem, OR

I have been working at Salem Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work!

Cons

I can't think of any

Advice to Management

I can't think of anything

5. Taking care to the next level

Former Employee - Director in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Director in Salem, OR

I worked at Salem Hospital full-time

Pros

Great structure, resources and people. They are using lean principles and practices that are starting to make a difference.

Cons

There are at times almost too many initiatives going on at one time that can lead to confusion regarding priorities.

Advice to Management

Develop a top 10 list of initiatives and prioritize across the organization

6. Worst place ever to work

I worked at Salem Hospital

Pros

There are no pros you are lucky to get to eat an not get 20 calls while your there trying to scarf down your food an drink

Cons

Not enough staff! Working over all thr time not enough time off to many days in a row Exspected to just do your job an not worry that the other shifts leave you a mess every day an not get in trouble but you miss one thing an get wrote up mangement has there favorites

Advice to Management

Pay attion to whats not getting done on a daily basis

7. Found out that they are finally making improvements to their staff, but still needs help in the Information Systems area

I worked at Salem Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I recently found out that they finally made a step in the right direction and got rid of their CIO. I walked into the Human Resources office to verify the rumor and they couldn't tell me, but when I told them that a current employee told me they them confirmed!

Cons

They are still requiring staff to need a Bachelor's Degree! I found out that one person they hired was asked to replace a power supply in a computer which should have taken no more than 15 minutes didn't have it done after working on the PC for over an hour!

Advice to Management

Bachelor Degrees only tell you that people are book smart and nothing else. Sometimes certifications and on the job experience can out way a Bachelor's Degree. Management has chased away a lot of great talent just because they don't have a degree!

8. Do not recommend!

Former Employee - Management Level in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Management Level in Salem, OR

I worked at Salem Hospital

Pros

Great benefits Pay is good Leaders are eligible for yearly bonuses based on overall organizational performance

Cons

The use of threats and intimidation are normal at all levels of this company Too many priorities No work life balance for leaders

Advice to Management

Having worked there for many years, I saw a tremendous change in how leaders treated their staff shift starting about 10 years ago. The word accountable became code for you will be fired if you don't meet your metrics. While from the outside, that would be an understandable expectation; they way you are held accountable is through intimidation. Many of the changes in the past decade are great. The quality of care has improved. It's just that how you treat each other got left behind in that transition.

Worse than highschool

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Salem Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay for even low level jobs is very good. They are usually under staffed everywhere so even if your part time you are likely to get a lot of hours!

Cons

Salem hospital has a horrible turn over rate! If you don't get in with the cliches your more than likely to get fired. They will look for anything reason they can to fire someone. If they don't like you you will not last. If your really great at sucking up and being best friends with the in crowd this would be a great place for you to work! If you like to just go to work and put all your effort into just doing your job I don't suggest working here! The only place you might make it is in creek side dining. There is not much room to move up unless you have a degree I know someone who worked in the same a area for 18 years was one of the best employees they had but they wouldn't even consider her for a supervisor position they brought in a young person who had never worked there before. They told her she had no management experience and she asked how she was supposed to get any if they didn't let her.

Don't Trust the management

I worked at Salem Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was a great place to work. Got along with everybody. Staff was very helpful and friendly.

Cons

Forced of out the job due to medical issue that was never an issue. I was let go because I would not tell supervisor why I was in the ED. Manager entered emergency room without asking. Found out later that this was their way to get rid of people without Bachelor's Degrees! My co-worker was just let go because the current CIO wants everyone to have Bachelor's Degrees.

Advice to Management

What goes around will back to bite you.

11. Salem Hospital still has a lot of improving to do, especially to live up to its magnet status.

Former Employee - Nurse
    Former Employee - Nurse

I worked at Salem Hospital full-time

Pros

Regardless of how the staff is treated by decisions made in upper management, the staff I worked with were pretty supportive and team players most of the time.

Cons

More often than not they were experiencing short staffing problems and it was very unfortunate for the patients as well as staff. Patients weren't getting the quality of care they were promised by SH's "mission."

RSS Feed </> Embed