Salem Media Group Reviews

Reset
2.0
Salem Media Group CEO and Director Edward G. Atsinger III
Edward G. Atsinger III

Pros
  • Pleasant work environment overall (in 11 reviews)

• Always look forward to coming to work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • In most companies I've worked for getting to the next level of vacation time is a bit faster (in 9 reviews)

• Very few other benefits to make up for low pay scale (in 7 reviews)

1. Promotions

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camarillo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camarillo, CA

I worked at Salem Media Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

culture and company values are deeply rooted however sometimes local management's philosophy can contradict corporate leadership style and vision

Cons

limited budget and small staff required to wear many hats on salaried pay. compensation is low for amount of responsibilities. Revolving door in certain department due to lack of true leadership or mentors.

Advice to Management

less micromanagement and empower staff with better resources to perform job

2. High expectations, low compensation

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Positive work environment depending on department and people. Caring people. Established company. Decent benefits for full time employees.

Cons

Low pay. Incompetent and ineffective leadership. Too much red tape. Ineffective based on level of resources. High turnover.

Advice to Management

Increase pay structures for most jobs/responsibilities. Promote from within. Mentor programs for employee development. Hire competent and qualified managers. Thing about more than just the bottom line. Spend wisely on all levels of the company.

3. Satisfaction depends on location

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Perks of any radio station....tickets to concerts, books, cds. No micro-management.

Cons

BIG lack of communication in this location. Problems are never solved, employees are just expected to "deal with it." The hardest working and most loyal employees are not valued or appreciated. The better you are at your job, the less likely that you'll be able to move to a different position. Pay is okay, but raises do not keep up with cost of living. There are no annual reviews. Again, very little communication which leads to confusion and problems.

Advice to Management

Conduct employee reviews, at least annually. Pay people what they are worth. Let them know how much they are appreciated, especially when they go out of their way and work extra hours to make things happen for the good of the company.

5. I believe Salem cares more about Salem, than the people that work for them.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many of the people who work here are wonderful. I am thankful to have a job.

Cons

I it is my opinion that there are some unethical practices that are tolerated here. The company calls themselves a Christian company and does not hold to what that standard should mean. It seems there is an atmosphere of getting by on the cheap rather than doing what is right, or needed. Sorry. Just not a lot of respect for what I have seen.

Advice to Management

Do what's right, even if it costs a little more, or is a little tougher. I have seen unethical, NOT illegal, unethical business practices. I strongly disagree with them.

6. Beware- They aren't who you think they are....

Current Employee - Office in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Office in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive Salary, good Benefits Package, Christian format, located away from the congestion of the big city.

Cons

Very tight with raises, expect to work long hours, the Christian ideology doesn't balance with the capitalist nature of this business. If you're looking to do God's work... just remember this is a "for profit" business.

Advice to Management

Quit writing phony Glassdoor reviews to attract employees... and share some of the company profits with your employees. After all you had them take pay cuts during hard times.

7. Good with Bad

Current Employee - Anonymous in Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome coworkers both in the office as well as the field.

Cons

Poor pay, takes forever to get more than 2 weeks vacation and almost impossible to change departments.

Advice to Management

Try having a conversation with your employees once in awhile.

Low Pay & Very Few to No Growth Opportunities

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of the employees are really nice.

Cons

A lot of the upper management are overpaid and get bonuses, while the rest of the employees are underpaid. There are quite a few managers who are very rude to their employees. And there has been a really high turnover rate in the last few years - a combination of terrible management and low pay. They talk about a culture that cares about people you just don't feel it working for them.

Advice to Management

Look at your employees who are paid less than $22 an hour and give them a raise. A 2% a year raise of $15 is absolutely meaningless and more like a slap in the face. It is so difficult to live off of such little pay. Also, you complain that there is no money in the budget for things like raises, but then there is no cap for travelers. The higher-ups have to fly first class and a last minute flight change that costs $1,000 extra is overlooked; just so someone can fly back home 6 hours earlier. Plus, I know of lots of department heads that waste so much money on eating out and things like that - we are talking open alcohol for everyone and the sky is the limit on how much is spent. This adds up really quick when so many people are doing it.

9. Christian Company?

Current Employee - Programming in No Name, CO
    Current Employee - Programming in No Name, CO

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The programming we put out does impact the audience in a positive way. I get to work in radio.

Cons

Unbearable workload, low pay, slow advancement or advancement without raises, work-life balance is highly unbalanced, senior management has unreasonable financial expectations of rim shot signals, doesn't live up to Christian title.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as human beings. Actually follow the Christian standards your programming talks of. Make slackers do their job and don't expect excellent employees to do all the work. Actually reward good work and reprimand poor work. Be fair. Quit downsizing your workforce. Pay your employees close to what they are worth.

Has potential to be great, but falls short in many areas.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Many of the employees are great to work around. - In my department, we are able to set our own hours and the managers are extremely flexible. I know that is not the case in most other areas of the company however. - There are office-wide events to help bring the team together.

Cons

- Pay is not up to par with many other companies/positions in the area. They seem like they will pay you the least amount possible in order to just get what they need done. - Raises are meaningless. When you are started off at such a low pay, getting a 2% raise does not move the needle enough to keep up with the rise of living costs. Yet, there are those in the upper management who get huge raises and bonuses that are merely expanding their already full pockets. - Bonuses are offered, but they are set up in such a way that it is almost impossible to achieve them. I'd much rather just get the higher pay off the bat and then I would have more incentive to do the work. - Management is very poor. If you talked to the head of my dept., I doubt they would even be able to tell you what I am working on or what my position is. - Vacation time is poor compared to other companies, and it takes way too long to accrue the time off. Makes it almost impossible to take a decent vacation - I end up just doing a lot of unpaid days off. - This is a Christian/Conservative company. So, if you are neither of those things, would be best to stay away. I have been able to get use to the stuff that is shoved in my face all the time, but it was rough.

Advice to Management

- Pay more attention to your employees. - Give the people who do most of the grunt work a better salary to make all of the long, stressful, monotonous days worth it. - Spend less money on travel and other luxuries and give the employees better pay. - Provide better work structure and let the employee know how you would like things prioritized. - Communicate! Sometimes, I don't talk to a manager for multiple days in a row.

11. I was excited to work for a Christian company, but it was not what I expected

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some employees are nice and honest

Cons

Total absence of leadership Management is not concern with the well-being of employees Employees overwork Very low salaries If you are a woman and/or Hispanic not room for career promotions. Free Lance workers are pay, and treat better than regular Salem employees Free lancers can threat Salem employees without consequences. Dishonesty and lack of ethic Disorganization Lack of Communication Complaint about unethical activities is overlook

Advice to Management

Be involved and try to hire individuals with the same values as your company preaches, don’t hire people with a mask. Don’t aloud Individuals to use Jesus for their personal agendas. Serve one lord. Everything is not about the money.

RSS Feed </> Embed