Salesforce

Updated January 19, 2015
4.1

Salesforce Chairman and CEO Marc Benioff
Marc Benioff

Pros
  • People value a work / life balance and it's easy to maintain if you stay focused (in 53 reviews)

• Some really smart people working here and the work-life balance has been really good (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be tough to achieve given how competitive people are to move up (in 76 reviews)

• Long hours and pushes at quarter ends to close deals (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

23 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Current Employee

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic vision from the CEO

Cons

Growing pains as they transition to larger company

Dynamic and fast-paced culture, high intensity and highly rewarding

Current Employee - Corporate Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Corporate Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Salesforce

Pros

Lot's to learn from coworkers, 1st in class technology that sells very well, very good chance to make your number if you work hard and smart.

Cons

A con for some people is that you have to work out of the office as opposed to many other software companies, but other than that it is really a great place to work.

Growing but challenged

Current Employee - Customers for Life in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customers for Life in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great brand, solutions and frenetic pace

Cons

Company is changing quickly. Culture is less transparent than compared to the past and there is a new management style.

Change is always challenging but culture beats strategy every day of the week.

Great products, great people but growth is goal #1!

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Salesforce full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working for salesforce you have the opportunity to sell products that ultimately can transform an organization. Their flagship products such as sales cloud and service cloud are both highly regarded by analysts and customers. Great benefits and lots of perks.

Cons

Have you ever felt like just a number to a company? Well once you start your job at salesforce you become just one of the many thousands of AEs they have hired. You will be given a territory that will ultimately dictate how well you perform. Some AEs are given 2-3 territories while others are given just one. Regardless of your territory, you will have the exact same quota as those with larger ones. Its a numbers game to management. Your manager will want 2-3 of his or her AEs to do really well while everyone else struggles.

You will have a monthly quota, your manager will be tasked with grinding you every month for every last dollar possible you can bring in. Not to mention 3 quarter ends and 1 year end, which many managers make you feel like the world is ending thereafter. Forget about a vacation at month end, quarter end or god forbid you have to miss January 31st.

Start treating your employees like humans and not just numbers. You hire the best of the best sales people and then somehow think they will all perform above and beyond their quota. Stop slicing territories and expecting to receive double the revenue the next fiscal year by adding a body.

Salesforce Services: They actually care about you. Wow!

Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The Salesforce Services department is the group that companies can hire when they want their instance of Salesforce customized. We're told by management to do more than just customization--we're there to push the limits and transform our clients' businesses. We're each encouraged to speak up when we see something that could be made better and treated as if our opinions matter. We're given respect and treated like experts and professionals from day one. Though the Services department is fairly large, we're treated like individuals and known by the various department heads. Management sticks up for the employees when we get a bad client.

We're always reminded that we are in control of our careers and that there are plenty of opportunities for growth and advancement, even if we choose to stay in the position we currently have rather than moving up to the next level. Our managers are there to help us in our careers and to act as advocates for us. We're encouraged to become experts in some aspect of our jobs.

We have great benefits, great pay, multiple insurance plans, matching 401k, employee stock purchasing programs, volunteer time off (6 days per year), and hassle-free time off requests. I genuinely feel like the company cares about us and promotes a healthy work-life balance. I really enjoy working here, and though I'm constantly approached with offers and recruitments from other companies, I like it here too much to change.

Cons

While the company, as a whole, promotes a healthy work-life balance, the Services department is slowly losing that push. Instead we now have things like a contest to see who can work the most hours, which is really a contest to see who can burn out the fastest and grow resentful the soonest. I understand that as a consulting department, we need to make money and hit revenue goals, but don't do that at the expense of your employees' happiness. There will of course be the occasional emergency sprint that needs longer hours, but the exception is slowly turning into the norm. And when that is the case, we need to re-evaluate how we're selling and planning out projects. As mentioned, a constant push to work longer and more hours without compensation (pay, extra time off, etc) is just asking for us to get grow resentful. Sorry, "winning" a $200 gift card to a restaurant for being the drone who worked the most unpaid, extra hours isn't compensation. This is the number one complain among fellow employees in the Services.

There are some mixed messages about billable hours. Project managers often ask that we don't bill more than 40 hours per week, even though most of us are working more than 40. And over the last year, the message from department heads have been inconsistent and blurry about how we should bill out our time. Everyone I talk to has a different idea, and this inconsistency seems pretty stressful for everyone.

I'm not a fan of mandatory programs that are "for your own good." We recently started a mandatory mentorship program where everyone was a assigned a mentor and required to meet with them on a regular basis. Now, if I wanted a mentor, I would choose someone higher up, either in the company or in my profession, and someone that I admired. Someone that I looked up to and thought "five or ten years from now, I want to be that person in that position." Instead I've been assigned someone who has been here 6 months longer than me and has the same title as I do. And I'm required to meet with this person once a month to do what? Keep asking on a monthly basis "what should I do this month to achieve the level of success that you and I have both already achieved?" I say, make the program available to those who want it and offer real mentor choices.

Continue making employees feel valued and important. Continue promoting and pushing for healthy employees who maintain a healthy work-life balance. Try to keep the culture that Adam Caplan and Bill Kalma created back when the Services department was Model Metrics.

the best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Enterprise Corporate Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Enterprise Corporate Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great equipment
    Great people
    mostly casual work environment
    Great training - week long bootcamp in san francisco
    company phone
    company iPad
    food in the kitchen
    you sell the best product in the industry
    #1 most innovative company in the world
    your customers love the product and rave about how great it is

Cons

I haven't found one yet

Keep doing your thing. People love this company so keep it going.

Salesforce is an amazing company!

Current Employee - Account Executive - Small/Medium Business (SMB) in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You are constantly challenged and you are always learning. That is really why I love working here. I know that I will continue to grow as a person both in my career and in life.

Another huge pro is that your promotion path is always clear and merit based. You know exactly what you need to do to get to the next level.

Cons

As the company continues to grow the territories become smaller making it tougher to compete against large market areas.

Continue to analyze the territories and make sure they are distributed fair and equitably. Other than that, management is one of the best I have ever seen!

Best Career Move Ever

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than a year)

Pros

amazing culture and very upbeat atmosphere. Great perks including stocked kitchens with food & drink, gym reimbursement, career advancement and trips to Hawaii!

Cons

it's a sales organization so if you don't like a quota look elsewhere.

Continue to keep the lines of communication open as we already do and make sure to keep the small feeling culture as we continue to expand and grow

Salesforce Response

Apr 8, 2014Employee Success Team

We appreciate your comments!

Struggling to come into its own as a large company

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Tremendous energy from marketing organization.

Cons

- Beware of the smoke and mirrors. Lots of hype around the "#dreamjob", but they don't tell you the pie has been cut so many times that a very small percentage of people actually achieve their goals.
    - Land of haves and have-nots. Despite AE's at the same level sharing the same quota, there is no effort to balance the account sets. It's extremely important that you ask to see your account set and license footprint before accepting the job.
    - Salesforce grew up from the SMB so the Enterprise group is run like SMB with a very short-term mindset and a monthly cadence.
    - Much of the support of the organization comes at the last minute after the selling is done and the deal is in the final stages.

- Goals and accounts sets should be aligned on a territory basis.
    - Please look to companies other than Oracle for at least some of the new management team.

Stay away

Former Employee - COMMERCIAL AE in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - COMMERCIAL AE in Chicago, IL

I worked at Salesforce full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Leaving this dog behind! They promoted unqualified mangers and expect you to ramp in as little as time as possible while covering dog accounts you have ever heard of.

Cons

Oracle, oracle, oracle. This is an inside sales dream job as SFDC puts it. If you are a seasoned sales rep stay away. Managers and AVPs are ACV whores. Do not care about the customer or long term relationship. You are as good as you next months deal.

There is no good management here. That is why they are bringing in ex-oracle management.