Salesforce Reviews

• Chicago, IL
4.1
Salesforce Chairman and CEO Marc Benioff
Marc Benioff

1. Constant career growth and increasing responsibilities within an amazing team

Current Employee - Solution Engineering Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Solution Engineering Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In almost three years there hasn't been a day I wasn't excited to go to work! I used to dream of a job where I would be happy "doing my thing" at least 50% of the time. I never dreamed I could enjoy work this much - it's hard to call it work. For those skeptics, I've been around the block with some top tier Chicagoland companies - they don't even compare to the culture, daily responsibilities. career mobility, and pay that you get here. You are absolutely surrounded by brilliant people that want nothing more than to help you learn and be successful. Team members are amazing to work with. Everyone works together.

Cons

You create your own way at Salesforce. You must be confident in your strengths and self aware of your weaknesses. They will not create that path for you, you have to do it. For some that is great, for others they need that plan laid out. Management can only help you so much in that. For a company growing this fast there are positions created everyday. You must have patience and savvy to find the next right role for yourself. Management will guide you, but you own your career. There isn't a defined path. You aren't always going to know all the options available.

It's a very fast paced environment. For everyone to work together they must communicate well. This means seeking to understand, asking the right questions, and being flexible. In sales this requires confidence and humility, not arrogance. Egos can get in the way if they aren't controlled. This takes a team.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire and grow quickly without sacrificing on the talent. The people are why we are successful as teams, hubs, and as a company.

2. SMB AE

Current Employee - SMB AE in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - SMB AE in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Energetic Culture, Open Heirarchy, Excellent Resources

Cons

Open floor plan can be noisy at times.

Advice to Management

Keep up the energy!

3. Account Executive - ESMB

Current Employee - Account Executive - Small/Medium Business (SMB) in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Salesforce full-time

Pros

I have been at Salesforce for over a year and the experience has been nothing short of outstanding. The biggest pro's that I have found about this company is that it takes a tremendous amount of pride in being the best. The focus of ongoing training both internal & external is top notch. The hiring process is very engaged, thorough & challenging, even if you are referred, which lends to the talent that you work alongside. The job has grown my professional skill set ten fold, especially in my business & selling acumen. From a selling perspective I would describe the pay and OTE to be undersold and over delivered vs. other sales jobs that sell you on high OTE's that almost always fall short. Amazing culture, amazing job, selling a platform that is the world's most innovative and good pay is why I love working here.

Cons

There are very few cons to working at Salesforce. Nothing is perfect, there are definite day-to-day frustrations that come with any job but overall the quality of life is very high.

Advice to Management

Continue to prioritize employee development, training & leadership as the top priority and we will continue to excel.

5. Incredibly fortunate to work for Salesforce

Current Employee - Account Executive - ESB in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive - ESB in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have never been at a company where you should expect to be promoted within 18 months. The growth opportunity is unmatched by all other tech companies here in the Chicago. The culture in the office is amazing. I have never worked at a job where I have enjoyed Sundays because I always dreaded Monday.

Everyone works hard and plays hard. I am constantly referring Salesforce to my friends.

Cons

Cons change from day to day, but we have some serious first world problems here at Salesforce. My latest gripe is on our food vendor change. We no longer have dozens of healthy (free) snack options. With this new change the junk food variety has increased while our healthy options have gone down hill. Because of our gripes changes are supposedly coming soon.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I love that our voices are heard.

6. Opportunity in Chicago

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Salesforce (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for career development, finding mentors, and earning potential abound at Salesforce. The Chicago hub has built a strong brand internally within the company, which has resulted in faster promotion paths for high performers.

Cons

The breadth of Salesforce's product offering provides more clubs in the bag for AE's to find a solution to fit specific business needs, but represents a greater learning curve for new hires. As with any company growth 30%+ YOY, fair annual territory carving can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Keep it simple for customers - there is still a lot of CRM greenfield out there, especially outside of Tier 1 cities

7. Account Executive - SMB

I have been working at Salesforce

Pros

-Amazing culture, everyone here wants everyone else to succeed
    -Team selling; there are plenty of resources available (internal enablement tools, managerial support, Solutions Engineers, product experts) to help you close deals. We truly win and lose as a team
    -Benefits are second to none (Health, 401k, Stock Purchase, PTO/VTO, etc)
    -Amazing products on the platform (We rarely have to say "No" to a customers request of our capabilities) and we continue to innovate
    -Lots of training and opportunities to better your skills as a sales person
    -Our philanthropic model is best in class and we are heavy into giving back to the community

Cons

-Lots of products on the platform (also a Pro) but as reps we often get pulled in a lot of different directions with promotions. It is imperative to take focused approaches to your selling so you don't get overwhelmed
    -This is quite a large company so it can sometimes feel as though you're a small fish in a big pond. However, the Chicago Hub still has that homegrown, startup feel to it

Advice to Management

-Stay the course, what you're doing is still being recognized as innovative and disruptive to the market place
    -Continue to treat your people as your most important asset as that will continue to drive overall success and innovation

8. Great job with great benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Fun environment if you are in an office. Really a great job.

Cons

Management doesn't coach, it is truly sink or swim.

Advice to Management

This doesn't seem like a destination company, it is very fluid, stability in staffing would be make it so much better.

Great Culture and People!

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Salesforce full-time

Pros

Fantastic culture of fun, friendly helpful people that genuinely want to see you succeed as part of the team!

I've never experienced a better training program or better ongoing development. And changing jobs, if you pursue such a journey, is supported! Moving up quickly from an SR to an AE and progressing through ranks as skills is developed or shown is seen all the time. If fresh out of college, this is a great place to land.

Salary and benefits are good. Room to grow and rapid promotions for success (con side of this too).

Time off as a new employee is outstanding and of course, the 1/1/1 model is uplifting and satisfying to be a part of.

Cons

Pressure. There is a constant, unrelenting pressure to hit your numbers. Normally in sales one faces a 3 EOQ's and one EOY push. At salesforce, you face 11 EOQ's and one EOY push. Basically, every month is like a quarter end.

Territories are not intentionally unbalanced, but it does happen. A lot of the success you may or may not experience will be a result of a great or poor territory. Some managers understand this and work with you to maximize your results until the next year when things can be re-balanced, others are quick to terminate.

As a result of this territory lottery, success and failure can come quickly. I've seen folks promoted on a single deal in which they made over 70% of their annual number but otherwise similar results.

Advice to Management

Be sure and measure why someone may be struggling to hit their numbers. Don't just assume it's because they aren't cut out for a role. There may be more in play. What do their customers and/or team think of them? Are they collaborative or combative? Can they take direction and advice?

There is more than just the number. Rest assured, if the sales person isn't making their number, they aren't happy either as they have bills to pay and they joined for the upside also. It's no secret that salesforce pays a salary below industry averages so without success, it's just a bottle of stress.

Dynamic and fast-paced culture, high intensity and highly rewarding

Current Employee - Corporate Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Corporate Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Salesforce

Pros

Lot's to learn from coworkers, 1st in class technology that sells very well, very good chance to make your number if you work hard and smart.

Cons

A con for some people is that you have to work out of the office as opposed to many other software companies, but other than that it is really a great place to work.

11. Growing but challenged

Current Employee - Customers for Life in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customers for Life in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great brand, solutions and frenetic pace

Cons

Company is changing quickly. Culture is less transparent than compared to the past and there is a new management style.

Advice to Management

Change is always challenging but culture beats strategy every day of the week.