Salesforce

3.8
1,127 Reviews

Salesforce Chairman and CEO Marc Benioff
Marc Benioff

Pros
  • People value a work / life balance and it's easy to maintain if you stay focused (in 53 reviews)

• Some really smart people working here and the work-life balance has been really good (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be tough to achieve given how competitive people are to move up (in 76 reviews)

• Long hours and pushes at quarter ends to close deals (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Still a lot of opportunity to learn, connect, and chart your own course, but Big Company culture is encroaching.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've spent over 8 years with Salesforce in various management and individual contributor roles, all customer or partner facing. Some of the pros:
    - vibrant, fast paced culture
    - smart, fun, aggressive colleagues
    - management is focused on latest tech trends and staying or becoming a leader for many of them
    - by and large, customers and partners are very positive about the technology
    - good benefits and perqs
    - hip urban culture at HQ
    - a chart-your-own-course mentality that rewards those who aggressively seek out the job they want and pursue it, or sometimes even create it

Cons

After my long tenure and many Dreamforce conferences, I'm nearly fried. To say the culture is fast paced and the focus is always changing is an understatement. The reason Salesforce always seems on top, and chasing the latest trend, and in the press, is because employees are expected to run harder, carry more, cheer loudly, and pivot constantly. It's the world's biggest startup in behavior. But at the same time, with the recent influx of top career sales leaders from Oracle and what appears to be a board-level mandate for doubling revenue, employees are being asked to do even more with even less, fill higher quotas with smaller territories, less help, and the big company bureaucracy is rearing it's ugly head.

Worse still is the politics. When you hire a bunch of smart, aggressive people, and put them in an environment of outsized expectations, throw in a bunch of re-orgs and changing management, and sprinkle with uncertainty and constantly changing priorities, you inevitably get people back stabbing each other and throwing others under the bus to appear smarter and more worthy of promotion.

The few at the top will get very, very rich. The rest will lose the sense of personal ownership and start to wonder why they've given up health and family

The further you get from the foundational vision of creating great products and ensuring customer success, and instead recruit big company people focused on ego and self-promotion and growing a fiefdom, the more Salesforce starts to become just another Oracle or SAP or Microsoft. My sense is, that's what the board wants. If so, so be it. There will be another innovative and passionate startup to disrupt salesforce some day soon.

Great Company and Great People

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Many smart and capable people
    - Visionary CEO
    - Excellent Pay and Benefits

Cons

- Start up like culture with shifting priorities
    - Frequent product acquisitions

SE

I have been working at Salesforce

Pros

best culture at this company

Cons

too hard to leave salesforce

keep an open office always

Great career opportunities for hard working, flexible, creative employees.

I worked at Salesforce

Pros

Great benefits beyond the standard package of medical, dental, 401k. Employees issued laptops, iPhones and other high quality devices, company supports a full range of diversity.

Cons

Long hours, tethered to work, extremely competitive environment.

keep up the excitement and inspiration.

Salesforce Marketing Cloud

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great, fun, place to work. People are friendly and make you feel comfortable.

Cons

Very political, more interested in number and looking like people are doing thier jobs then actually focusing on ROI and moving the company forward.

Focus on ROI and not on numbers.

Very Happy

I have been working at Salesforce

Pros

Good management, lots of perks, options to work from home/remotely, emphasis on collaboration and innovation, the company is doing VERY well financially

Cons

Very large organization can be difficult to navigate, pressure to succeed can burn some people out, Portland site does not have much room for career development

Lack of career development is the #1 reason for turnover. Even if employees don't have higher positions to strive for, they will stay longer to take advantage of career development opportunities that will transfer. It's a perk whose impact is difficult to measure, but it's very worthwhile.

Not the Typical Corporate America

Current Employee - User Experience Developer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - User Experience Developer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoy my flexible schedule to allow a healthy work life balance. My benefits are second to none with wellness buck reimbursement, employee stock purchasing, our company and floating holiday schedule, opportunities for quarterly bonuses, and outstanding healthcare. I also love that our company has clear and distinct goals from the top down for each year and I feel like I'm contributing to the bigger picture for the company.

Cons

A couple processes have been caught up with red tape throughout my time here, but that will happen with a big company. Overall, I have few complaints about my time with the company.

Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Accounts Executive in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Accounts Executive in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible, employees are hard workers

Cons

Culture is dying from ExactTarget

Great culture, can find interesting projects, but slowly moving to large corporation mentality

Current Employee - Principal Performance Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Performance Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Managers re goal oriented, if you want can always find interesting projects to advance your skills. Employees are valued. Amazing benefits

Cons

As company grows it is slowly moving to typical large corporation where meetings take over results, hiring can be done based on "we need to hire anyone not to loose quota)

Trim some fat, gain start-up philosophy where result matter not process.

So far, so good.

I have been working at Salesforce

Pros

High-paced, competitive, smart people, competitive pay.

Cons

High quotas, stressful environment.

More perks to compete with other tech companies in the area.