Salesforce

3.8
1,029 Reviews

Salesforce Chairman and CEO Marc Benioff
Marc Benioff

Pros
  • People value a work / life balance and it's easy to maintain if you stay focused (in 51 reviews)

• Some really smart people working here and the work-life balance has been really good (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be tough to achieve given how competitive people are to move up (in 74 reviews)

• Long hours and pushes at quarter ends to close deals (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Still a lot of opportunity to learn, connect, and chart your own course, but Big Company culture is encroaching.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've spent over 8 years with Salesforce in various management and individual contributor roles, all customer or partner facing. Some of the pros:
    - vibrant, fast paced culture
    - smart, fun, aggressive colleagues
    - management is focused on latest tech trends and staying or becoming a leader for many of them
    - by and large, customers and partners are very positive about the technology
    - good benefits and perqs
    - hip urban culture at HQ
    - a chart-your-own-course mentality that rewards those who aggressively seek out the job they want and pursue it, or sometimes even create it

Cons

After my long tenure and many Dreamforce conferences, I'm nearly fried. To say the culture is fast paced and the focus is always changing is an understatement. The reason Salesforce always seems on top, and chasing the latest trend, and in the press, is because employees are expected to run harder, carry more, cheer loudly, and pivot constantly. It's the world's biggest startup in behavior. But at the same time, with the recent influx of top career sales leaders from Oracle and what appears to be a board-level mandate for doubling revenue, employees are being asked to do even more with even less, fill higher quotas with smaller territories, less help, and the big company bureaucracy is rearing it's ugly head.

Worse still is the politics. When you hire a bunch of smart, aggressive people, and put them in an environment of outsized expectations, throw in a bunch of re-orgs and changing management, and sprinkle with uncertainty and constantly changing priorities, you inevitably get people back stabbing each other and throwing others under the bus to appear smarter and more worthy of promotion.

The few at the top will get very, very rich. The rest will lose the sense of personal ownership and start to wonder why they've given up health and family

The further you get from the foundational vision of creating great products and ensuring customer success, and instead recruit big company people focused on ego and self-promotion and growing a fiefdom, the more Salesforce starts to become just another Oracle or SAP or Microsoft. My sense is, that's what the board wants. If so, so be it. There will be another innovative and passionate startup to disrupt salesforce some day soon.

Freedom, choice, innovation

Current Employee - Associate Member of Technical Staff (Software Development Engineer) in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salesforce is your friend when you work here. I've had two managers so far and both are there only to help me out and help me grow. It's very open in many ways, such as
    - It's easy to get a hold of other teams and communicate.
    - Your teammates will be open to your crazy ideas.
    - Freedom to work on your own projects and switch teams

Cons

Getting started is still rough. Weeks of training, setting up your computer, waiting for other people to give you access to resources you need, and finding out information about anything is tough. We use chatter and google docs to keep track of random information like where to get a company phone or what API to use for integration with such and such. But both resources are a conglomeration of obsolete and inapplicable information.

While we do pride ourselves on having an open culture, it isn't necessarily a very exciting, friendly or personal culture. You're generally free to do what you like, but many (maybe most) teams don't go to lunch together and aren't friends with each other. They just have small talk and do what it takes to get the job done well. Since your team is who you're with all day and who you talk to most of the time, it's kind of important. I wish it was the other way around, where my team was wanted to talk too much and spend more time hanging out than I did. The employees are kind of old here, so it's just not what I'm used to I suppose.

Also, spoiled as I already am here, I will always be jealous of companies that have free cafeterias because I can't cook.

Team bonding events should be mandatory.

Awesome company !

Current Employee - Performance Engineer Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Performance Engineer Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Nice working environment, friendly co-workers, awesome perk, great location

Cons

Too many meeting from time to time.

Software Development

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are really nice. Job itself is challenging but lots of fun. The technology we use here is very advanced.

Cons

San francisco is super expensive a city to live in.

The company pay us well. The average salary for entry level SE is above 10,000.

An amazing and innovative place to work.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Innovative, flexible, balance, perks! I really enjoyed my time working at Salesforce, everyone there was very supportive and helpful in furthering my career!

Cons

It is a very large company, and sometimes that is palpable. There are some efficiencies and agility that is lost because of this.

Keep an eye on your culture! It is currently still great and represents what you stand for, but as the company grows it will be important to adjust accordingly to keep it that way! Always work smarter, not harder!

High earnings potential with the sacrifice of life balance.

Former Employee - Strategic Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Strategic Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Salesforce full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High Energy and Growth. I joined when they had 7000 employees and left 2 years later when they had 12,000. I love their 1::1:1 program which Marc B is completely committed to and uses every chance he gets to promote. The company is well respected and constantly developing or buying new products. If you get the right accounts and manager support you can make a ton of $$$. I personally know a handful of people who made 7 figures.

Cons

Your success in sales is highly dependent on your patch(account base) which is hard to predict coming in the front door. The intensity of the company is great but the work/life balance if off as the demands of the job creep into all aspects of your life. Sales quotas go up every year and territories decrease which can be hard to keep up with. The product offering is getting more and more complicated and hard to keep up with. Management changes all the time as I had four managers in a span of 18 months. Their product offering while extensive does not do well in certain verticals so make sure your accounts are in those good verticals. The core CRM product is too complicated and not intuitive as they make it seem.

Their needs to be a better association of quotas with opportunity and not done on favoritism. Employee time off needs to be respected and it would be wonderful to have a stable management chain. Keep up all the good things you are doing for SF and community.

Best decision of my life.

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- great people
    - world changing technology - amazing customer stories
    - benefits
    - 1 1 1 model is so much fun to be apart of

Cons

- too much training
    - managers care about you
    - i've made too many friends
    - wait, these are all Pros

#dreamjob

Excellent place for continous learning

Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Salesforce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart employees, interesting work, great products, high standards for those that work here.

Cons

Not a lot of HR and employee support. Lots of department silo's and duplicate functions in different groups.

Retain your top talent. Make time for employee training. Hold managers accountable.

Great foot in the door and learning experience

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Salesforce full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salesforce is the gold stamp of approval in tech these days and it's obvious why after working there. I was able to work with some of the brightest people I could've imagined and have full access to these individuals. It was very competitive, making sure every day went by quickly, but everyone wanted to see each other succeed. It's a great place to learn.

Cons

cultish, brown-nosing seemed to be encouraged, lots of rule changing to make goal attainment more difficult

Amazing Company filled with Inspiring, Competent, Hardworking Fun Employees!

Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pros are hands down the culture. The 1:1:1 model, the events, and the positive and enjoyable personalities of the people you work with on a daily basis pushes you to be the best you can be.

Cons

You need to be an employee who loves to push yourself and grow in your career, what ever this means to you personally. If not, you will find this culture too challenging to keep up with...and that's okay!

Management needs to continue to stay as transparent as possible, which they have been great at with all the changes a growing company has. They reward hard work and care about their employees. Make sure as we grow, to not shy away from this since it has worked so well!