Salesforce

3.8
1,018 Reviews

Salesforce Chairman and CEO Marc Benioff
Marc Benioff

Pros
  • People value a work / life balance and it's easy to maintain if you stay focused (in 50 reviews)

• Some really smart people working here and the work-life balance has been really good (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be tough to achieve given how competitive people are to move up (in 74 reviews)

• Long hours and pushes at quarter ends to close deals (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Still a lot of opportunity to learn, connect, and chart your own course, but Big Company culture is encroaching.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've spent over 8 years with Salesforce in various management and individual contributor roles, all customer or partner facing. Some of the pros:
    - vibrant, fast paced culture
    - smart, fun, aggressive colleagues
    - management is focused on latest tech trends and staying or becoming a leader for many of them
    - by and large, customers and partners are very positive about the technology
    - good benefits and perqs
    - hip urban culture at HQ
    - a chart-your-own-course mentality that rewards those who aggressively seek out the job they want and pursue it, or sometimes even create it

Cons

After my long tenure and many Dreamforce conferences, I'm nearly fried. To say the culture is fast paced and the focus is always changing is an understatement. The reason Salesforce always seems on top, and chasing the latest trend, and in the press, is because employees are expected to run harder, carry more, cheer loudly, and pivot constantly. It's the world's biggest startup in behavior. But at the same time, with the recent influx of top career sales leaders from Oracle and what appears to be a board-level mandate for doubling revenue, employees are being asked to do even more with even less, fill higher quotas with smaller territories, less help, and the big company bureaucracy is rearing it's ugly head.

Worse still is the politics. When you hire a bunch of smart, aggressive people, and put them in an environment of outsized expectations, throw in a bunch of re-orgs and changing management, and sprinkle with uncertainty and constantly changing priorities, you inevitably get people back stabbing each other and throwing others under the bus to appear smarter and more worthy of promotion.

The few at the top will get very, very rich. The rest will lose the sense of personal ownership and start to wonder why they've given up health and family

The further you get from the foundational vision of creating great products and ensuring customer success, and instead recruit big company people focused on ego and self-promotion and growing a fiefdom, the more Salesforce starts to become just another Oracle or SAP or Microsoft. My sense is, that's what the board wants. If so, so be it. There will be another innovative and passionate startup to disrupt salesforce some day soon.

Freedom, choice, innovation

Current Employee - Associate Member of Technical Staff (Software Development Engineer) in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salesforce is your friend when you work here. I've had two managers so far and both are there only to help me out and help me grow. It's very open in many ways, such as
    - It's easy to get a hold of other teams and communicate.
    - Your teammates will be open to your crazy ideas.
    - Freedom to work on your own projects and switch teams

Cons

Getting started is still rough. Weeks of training, setting up your computer, waiting for other people to give you access to resources you need, and finding out information about anything is tough. We use chatter and google docs to keep track of random information like where to get a company phone or what API to use for integration with such and such. But both resources are a conglomeration of obsolete and inapplicable information.

While we do pride ourselves on having an open culture, it isn't necessarily a very exciting, friendly or personal culture. You're generally free to do what you like, but many (maybe most) teams don't go to lunch together and aren't friends with each other. They just have small talk and do what it takes to get the job done well. Since your team is who you're with all day and who you talk to most of the time, it's kind of important. I wish it was the other way around, where my team was wanted to talk too much and spend more time hanging out than I did. The employees are kind of old here, so it's just not what I'm used to I suppose.

Also, spoiled as I already am here, I will always be jealous of companies that have free cafeterias because I can't cook.

Team bonding events should be mandatory.

Amazing Company filled with Inspiring, Competent, Hardworking Fun Employees!

Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pros are hands down the culture. The 1:1:1 model, the events, and the positive and enjoyable personalities of the people you work with on a daily basis pushes you to be the best you can be.

Cons

You need to be an employee who loves to push yourself and grow in your career, what ever this means to you personally. If not, you will find this culture too challenging to keep up with...and that's okay!

Management needs to continue to stay as transparent as possible, which they have been great at with all the changes a growing company has. They reward hard work and care about their employees. Make sure as we grow, to not shy away from this since it has worked so well!

Great foot in the door and learning experience

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Salesforce full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salesforce is the gold stamp of approval in tech these days and it's obvious why after working there. I was able to work with some of the brightest people I could've imagined and have full access to these individuals. It was very competitive, making sure every day went by quickly, but everyone wanted to see each other succeed. It's a great place to learn.

Cons

cultish, brown-nosing seemed to be encouraged, lots of rule changing to make goal attainment more difficult

AE

I have been working at Salesforce (more than an year)

Pros

Good company. Great pay. Great benefits. Awesome products.

Cons

Fast moving. Lots of change.

Empty canvas in Latin America

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent product and training program.

Cons

Lack of structured offices in the region, what makes the client life harder.

Come down to visit the clients more frequently, instead of managing over the phone.

Amazing company to work for! Be prepared to work.

Current Employee - Technical Business Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Technical Business Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

40 hours of volunteer time off, incredible philanthropic opportunities, great health & wellness benefits, awesome vacation time benefits,management truly cares about your own personal career development, and a laid-back culture made up of hard-working individuals

Cons

Work-life balance is a bit off-the-scale (significant remote work calls for meetings at inopportune times)

Being in a remote office, it seems like most of the awesome benefits are at headquarters. It would be great to see more benefits extended to the other offices.

Work Hard / Play Hard

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Salesforce full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Incredibly innovative company - Benioff sees what the customer needs and delivers the products to keep creating value
    - Solid technologies to sell and a good variety to offer customers
    - Talented and fun team of co-workers
    - Great internal support from marketing, pre-sales, operations, etc
    - 1-1-1 giving back program is awesome
    - Ecosystem of salesforce allows you to present many offerings to your customers

Cons

- Monthly cadence can be a challenge
    - Territories can be tight

Know what you're getting into...

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Salesforce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salesforce is a marketing machine. Every year, it just seems to do better and better. Customers love Salesforce so it's a great place to be front facing with customers big and small. The company is full of smart people and if you're on top of your game, get around the politics and make stuff happen, you'll do well. The compensation and benefits are fantastic.

Cons

Salesforce is a marketing machine. That means what you see is sometimes is not what you get. The technology is monolithic, it's tough to make changes on the product side. Don't know the political game, then you might fall under the weight of it all. Not for the meek.

Reward those that work hard and make a difference. Have a career path that's meaningful. Give people a breather once in awhile.

Current Employee

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic vision from the CEO

Cons

Growing pains as they transition to larger company