Salesforce

3.8
1,052 Reviews

Salesforce Chairman and CEO Marc Benioff
Marc Benioff

Pros
  • People value a work / life balance and it's easy to maintain if you stay focused (in 51 reviews)

• Some really smart people working here and the work-life balance has been really good (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be tough to achieve given how competitive people are to move up (in 74 reviews)

• Long hours and pushes at quarter ends to close deals (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Still a lot of opportunity to learn, connect, and chart your own course, but Big Company culture is encroaching.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've spent over 8 years with Salesforce in various management and individual contributor roles, all customer or partner facing. Some of the pros:
    - vibrant, fast paced culture
    - smart, fun, aggressive colleagues
    - management is focused on latest tech trends and staying or becoming a leader for many of them
    - by and large, customers and partners are very positive about the technology
    - good benefits and perqs
    - hip urban culture at HQ
    - a chart-your-own-course mentality that rewards those who aggressively seek out the job they want and pursue it, or sometimes even create it

Cons

After my long tenure and many Dreamforce conferences, I'm nearly fried. To say the culture is fast paced and the focus is always changing is an understatement. The reason Salesforce always seems on top, and chasing the latest trend, and in the press, is because employees are expected to run harder, carry more, cheer loudly, and pivot constantly. It's the world's biggest startup in behavior. But at the same time, with the recent influx of top career sales leaders from Oracle and what appears to be a board-level mandate for doubling revenue, employees are being asked to do even more with even less, fill higher quotas with smaller territories, less help, and the big company bureaucracy is rearing it's ugly head.

Worse still is the politics. When you hire a bunch of smart, aggressive people, and put them in an environment of outsized expectations, throw in a bunch of re-orgs and changing management, and sprinkle with uncertainty and constantly changing priorities, you inevitably get people back stabbing each other and throwing others under the bus to appear smarter and more worthy of promotion.

The few at the top will get very, very rich. The rest will lose the sense of personal ownership and start to wonder why they've given up health and family

The further you get from the foundational vision of creating great products and ensuring customer success, and instead recruit big company people focused on ego and self-promotion and growing a fiefdom, the more Salesforce starts to become just another Oracle or SAP or Microsoft. My sense is, that's what the board wants. If so, so be it. There will be another innovative and passionate startup to disrupt salesforce some day soon.

Excitement and opportunities for those who are driven and lean toward positivity

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, the company culture seems very open and encourages honest self-reflection, but there's definitely a bias toward people who are naturally positive and seek opportunities. If you're a team-focused, positive, cheerful, driven person, this is a company where you can make huge strides in a very short amount of time.

Cons

First, it's NOT a startup, and while the company seems to have a great future ahead, it's not a fast-growth place where you're going to get catered meals, massages, and toys to play with every day. This shouldn't be a problem, but since the HQ is in San Francisco, people are reminded of all the perks and opportunities that abound just around the corner (or in Silicon Valley). Also, while the company is a great place to work, it tends to favor extraverts and people who desire to move up or who want to do lots of things outside their current job role. Being surrounded by "movers" like this can be exhausting if you're one who wants to be "comfortable" and seeks to achieve work-life balance.

It's a great company, and I love my job and the opportunities there. However, as I consider moving to the next phase of my life (marriage, children, taking care of my parents), I want to see more examples of people who are successfully balancing work and life goals. I want to see people like this rewarded and help up as role models just as much as the latest hackathon winner who spend 3 days without sleeping, or the "rain maker" who worked many many hours to land a big deal.

Dynamic and Successful Company

Current Employee - Senior Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great leadership, motivated co-workers, and a great team atmoshphere, that promotes open communication

Cons

Definitely hard to keep up with growth - lots of hours needed, but also lots of resources

Keep it up, Marc. Keith Block is surprsingly good.

Great

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Salesforce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, great snacks, great parties

Cons

Big company, lots f churn

Slow down acquisitions

Great opportunities if you know how to work hard, collaborate and want to give back

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, manager and endless opportunities. You have to love FAST pace, dynamic changes, some great reviews called it the largest entrepreneur company out there. That's very true. GREAT growth. Great community involvement and Dreamforce is amazing!

Cons

Not really any... I know people will always come up with something but it's a place where what you put in it what you get out of it.

It's not sexy but consider bringing in some flexible project and resource processes, documentation, and governance to support projects to balance keep the lights day-to-day tasks that ultimately helps with prioritization. Change is inevitable, change is encouraged to stay agile but processes that adapt to the change, resource allocation, and Top 3 or 5 things in various technical departments would go a long way resulting in better communication, execution, delivery, transparency on status, and frankly less noise (drama).

Great work/life balance. Smart and motivated workforce

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is a plus. Company is at the cutting edge of cloud innovation. Highly educated and motivated workforce lends to great networking opportunities.

Cons

Typical corporate politics can drive unreasonable decision-making at times.

Invest in your top talent. They are the future of your company. Take the time to identify top performers and invest in their career development. It will go a long way

Awesome place for a development internship!

Former Employee - Intern Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Salesforce full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salesforce is a great place with plenty to learn and lots of friends managers and mentions!

Cons

Only somewhat disappointing thing is that they seem to be a little cheap on the hardware they are willing to provide to employees. It shouldn't be hard to get nice monitors, and IT shouldn't be a second class citizen.

Good Company to Work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great energy, good compensation and management makes you feel like you're included in most decisions.

Cons

Nothing I can think of.

Incredible Opportunity and People

I have been working at Salesforce full-time

Pros

- Great office perks. (free food all the time, free snacks and drinks)
    - Great people and culture
    - Office space is incredible
    - Good pay
    - Top notch equipment

Cons

- On boarding is a bit overwhelming...but thats normal anywhere. They do the best job they can making you feel welcome. I was happy with my on boarding.

Most awesome company

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very rewarding experience in the last 3 years.

Cons

None - keep doing what you are doing