Salesforce Reviews

3.9
Salesforce Chairman and CEO Marc Benioff
Marc Benioff
1,021 Ratings

Pros
  • good work life balance in the company (in 53 reviews)

• You will work with bunch of smart people together (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be tough to achieve given how competitive people are to move up (in 76 reviews)

• Long hours and pushes at quarter ends to close deals (in 33 reviews)

1,321 Employee Reviews

Still a lot of opportunity to learn, connect, and chart your own course, but Big Company culture is encroaching.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've spent over 8 years with Salesforce in various management and individual contributor roles, all customer or partner facing. Some of the pros:
    - vibrant, fast paced culture
    - smart, fun, aggressive colleagues
    - management is focused on latest tech trends and staying or becoming a leader for many of them
    - by and large, customers and partners are very positive about the technology
    - good benefits and perqs
    - hip urban culture at HQ
    - a chart-your-own-course mentality that rewards those who aggressively seek out the job they want and pursue it, or sometimes even create it

Cons

After my long tenure and many Dreamforce conferences, I'm nearly fried. To say the culture is fast paced and the focus is always changing is an understatement. The reason Salesforce always seems on top, and chasing the latest trend, and in the press, is because employees are expected to run harder, carry more, cheer loudly, and pivot constantly. It's the world's biggest startup in behavior. But at the same time, with the recent influx of top career sales leaders from Oracle and what appears to be a board-level mandate for doubling revenue, employees are being asked to do even more with even less, fill higher quotas with smaller territories, less help, and the big company bureaucracy is rearing it's ugly head.

Worse still is the politics. When you hire a bunch of smart, aggressive people, and put them in an environment of outsized expectations, throw in a bunch of re-orgs and changing management, and sprinkle with uncertainty and constantly changing priorities, you inevitably get people back stabbing each other and throwing others under the bus to appear smarter and more worthy of promotion.

The few at the top will get very, very rich. The rest will lose the sense of personal ownership and start to wonder why they've given up health and family

Advice to Management

The further you get from the foundational vision of creating great products and ensuring customer success, and instead recruit big company people focused on ego and self-promotion and growing a fiefdom, the more Salesforce starts to become just another Oracle or SAP or Microsoft. My sense is, that's what the board wants. If so, so be it. There will be another innovative and passionate startup to disrupt salesforce some day soon.

2. Inside the cloud.

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is very much like a start up, this is what makes up the diversity adding to the overall vibe of the company.

Cons

none that come to mind

3. Great but getting BIG

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Salesforce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible company. Destination employer. Just incredible place in the market.
    Best part was the true commitment to doing well and doing good. It permeated all facets. First time I have been in a company where the values where so integrated into the core DNA
    Get to work in SF in tech. 10 years ago that was impossible. Love that SFDC has led the way here as well!

Cons

Feeling big now. . .wish I had joined 10 years ago. Was hard to find a great job to continue my career there. Lots of new SENIOR folks from Oracle and I think it felt as if this was shutting down opportunities for people who were not in the "club"--in sales.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I would go back for right opportunity.
    Really was a career highlight for me to work at SFDC. Hope to find the new SFDC.

5. Salesforce

Current Employee - Manager, Market Readiness Programs in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager, Market Readiness Programs in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People you work with are of high caliber, well respected company, job security, perks, benefits, stability, ability to explore different roles every fiscal year, still like a startup in many ways.

Cons

My department along with many others is going through constant re-org. It doesn't feel like you're able to make much of a positive impact or move the needle with the business during times like these. It can be political chaos for months.

Advice to Management

People and change management need to be a priority.

6. Lead Member of Technical Staff

Current Employee - LMTS in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - LMTS in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing vibe and energy around you!

Cons

Too big a company to make some real change or big impact

Advice to Management

Value engineers more (or at least equal) than managers or non-technical resources.

7. Good company

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and good benefits. With a family and children, benefits are an important part of the package and Salesforce does a very good job in this area.

Cons

I would like to get more RSUs on a continual basis. Other companies in the Bay Area provide continuing RSU refreshes, but this is not a given at Salesforce, making it much easier to leave the company.

Advice to Management

More retention should be build in with the pay structure.

8. Good company

Former Employee - Software Quality Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Quality Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Salesforce (Less than a year)

Pros

Good base pay for interns, awesome kitchen/snacks, plus free housing and a very competitive benefits package (full medical/dental/vision)

Cons

It can definitely feel like you're a cog in a very big machine. It's very easy to feel lost or have your supervisors lose you.

Advice to Management

Don't hire 300 interns if you're going to pay most of them a lot of money to do very little work for you. It feels like a bad choice.

Good stepping stone towards your real #dreamjob

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salesforce has several things going for it if viewed from the outside.
    - They have a truly exceptional product which makes it easy to sell and believe in
    - They offer an ESPP program which, considering the company's growth rate, is a very lucrative benefit for employees taking advantage of it
    - Their benefits are above average; Health insurance, dental, vision, discounts from other companies (hotels, gyms, consumer goods, services), paid volunteer time off
    - Plenty of training and self growth opportunities
    - Supportive managers (with exception and to the best of their ability)
    - CEO everything he makes himself out to be and more. Truly the only reason Salesforce had a fighting chance in the beginning.

Cons

Now that we have gone over some of the marginal benefits of working for Salesforce, lets spend some time reviewing the truly disappointing aspects that seem to be ignored when the poll for "Best company to work for" is taken:

1. Quotas are not based on past territory performance averages but are instead standardized across the board. Compounding on this is the fact that territory assignments are completely based on need not performance. This means that someone with Alabama as their territory must meet the same quota as someone with California or New York as their territory. This creates resentment among reps and leads to many people leaving for better offers.

2. Outdated school of thought around increasing revenue growth and productivity. This may be obvious to some, but hiring people like Keith Block, who helped grow and create the very companies we at Salesforce are trying to bring change to, could only cause issues. The most significant of which is their belief that increasing the number of activities increases their revenue growth by the same percentage increase. This doesn't work. All it does is make employees resent management. Keith, if you read this, look up "Marginal Product of Labor" and think about your current growth initiatives of mandating unachievable minimum activity levels for your employees.

3. Salesforce is currently paying their new hires more than their tenured sales dev reps. Think about that. How does a company claim to care about their employees yet pays well below the industry average and doesn't roll out pay increases to all employees in a department. Benioff likes to talk about gender pay equality, but I know for a fact there are experienced women making less then inexperienced men in the same position. This goes the same for the reverse. What makes this even more upsetting is that they did not inform anyone of this. The reps found out on their own. Again, decreasing trust in management.

4. Stagnent internal growth. They promise promotions in 12 months or less but in reality, they have created such a toxic work environment people are looking for ways out of sales dev slowing this process to 15 months or more.

5. Politics, politics, politics. For a company that claims to have that "Start-Up" feel, they seem to suffer from all the major issues you find at larger companies. Management is run completely top down with zero confidence in others leading to low level managers being the bearers of bad news rather than mentors.

6. Below average compensation. I won't say much more on this, but the starting salary here means you're living paycheck to paycheck in San Francisco.

I could go on, but I think these give you an idea of the way the company is headed. In case you were wondering, this decline in work environment began right around the same time Keith Block was brought on. Interesting coincidence some would say.

All of this essentially leads to Salesforce creating one of the most sought after employees in the industry while simultaneously pushing them to the point that they would rather change companies than stay at the "Best place to work" in the Bay.

Advice to Management

1. Pay your employees the same. That shouldn't need to be said but there you go.
    2. Listen to your employees. Forcing them to make a certain number of calls will only cause frustration and a poor experience for any customers they do speak to.
    3. Adjust your quota system to account for territory averages.
    4. Be honest with your employees, tell them what's going on so they don't have to find out on their own.
    5. Stop pretending your a "Start-Up". You're part of the fortune 500 now, start (admitting to) acting like it.
    6. Change the way you treat employees or get used to other companies poaching your top talent. I get 2-3 job offers per week, excluding the ones I wouldn't consider, and only care to remain employed by Salesforce because I know the longer I stick around here the more I'm worth somewhere else in the future.

The place to be if you value community giving!

Current Employee - Web Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Web Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce (More than a year)

Pros

- amazing 1:1:1 model where you can have donations matched (up to 5K), apply for team grants (up to 5 or 10K) and get 48 hours of volunteer work a year
    - great educational benefits and encouraged continuous learning
    - fun place to work, always something fun going on

Cons

- promotion system seems vague, no idea what to do to move on up
    - pay is lower than I was hoping for when moving to this expensive city

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging women to develop their confidence to move up. Make a clear and concise promotion stream so employees aren't feeling stuck in a rut. Reward those who want to step up and want to take on challenges.

11. Salesforce

Current Employee - Indiana in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Indiana in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid time of for volunteering and floating holidays are a great perk.

Cons

Having more seasoned management to aid with change management would make it better.

Showing 1,321 of 1,377 reviews