Salesforce

3.8
1,078 Reviews

Salesforce Chairman and CEO Marc Benioff
Marc Benioff

Pros
  • People value a work / life balance and it's easy to maintain if you stay focused (in 53 reviews)

• Some really smart people working here and the work-life balance has been really good (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be tough to achieve given how competitive people are to move up (in 76 reviews)

• Long hours and pushes at quarter ends to close deals (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

A phenomenal place to begin my professional career!

Current Employee - Renewal Manager - Marketing Cloud in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Renewal Manager - Marketing Cloud in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast-Paced, Innovative, Competitive Culture, Rewarding, Challenging

Cons

High-Expectations, Ever-Changing, Remote, Corporate, Lack-of-Transparency

Change the World

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sr Management, Foundation, Culture, Smart People and technology

Cons

None if you are ambitious and want to work hard to change the world.

Hire or promote strong middle management to scale.

Great company... but find a team you like!

Former Employee - Performance Engineer Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Performance Engineer Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Salesforce as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The company is one of the best large companies in existence. Its product is widely used, tech focused, and treats its employees well. Dreamforce is quite the experience and it makes you proud that you are an employee there. The perks are AMAZING! 401k as an intern! $100/mo health & wellness benefit. Just find a team you like and like what you are working on and your life will be great!

Cons

The reason I'm not going back is because I didn't like what my team was doing (perf eng) and I didn't like some of the people on my team. If you are looking to start your career here, try to get a position in dev, not qa or perf (unless you know that's what you really want to do). I was fortunate to have a super chill manager and he found me projects I was interested in working on that are not performance engineering related.

Only free lunch in Heroku office, which I wasn't in. Also relatively lower salary compared to well-funded tech companies (Uber, Pinterest, Twitter, etc.), but I didn't mind.

Senior Software Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great culture, good working environment, awesome perks,

Cons

old technology stack, infrastructure is slow to adopt, need faster release cycle,

Dynamic and Successful Company

Current Employee - Senior Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great leadership, motivated co-workers, and a great team atmoshphere, that promotes open communication

Cons

Definitely hard to keep up with growth - lots of hours needed, but also lots of resources

Keep it up, Marc. Keith Block is surprsingly good.

An OK company overall -- but avoid Hillsboro, OR Office

Former Employee - Technical Support in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Salesforce

Pros

Nice office. Lots of bells and whistles. Lots of snacks and drinks. Great kitchen. There's a barista/ coffee bar.

Cons

The Hillsboro office culture is completely different disconnected from the culture at headquarters. Tech Support is a dead-end. They lure in new employees and recent college grads with "career development" talk, time to study and get other certifications, job shadowing, etc. You quickly learn none of that will ever happen. Getting a tech support job in Hillsboro will NOT help you get another job in a different department or location -- it can only hinder you, if anything. They're also constantly pressuring employees into working overtime because they're understaffed, but don't want to hire. The pay doesn't match the pressure and stress.

The fancy office and the fluff doesn't make up for all of this, even though they hope it does.

Hire enough employees instead of pressuring the existing ones into working more, and working faster. Follow through on promises made by HR during the hiring process.

Sales and CEO Centric

Former Employee - Interaction Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Interaction Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Salesforce full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart people who all were trying their best. I was managed very well and had good relationships with most people I worked with.

Cons

Sales and CEO Centric, so Design got lost in the shuffle. The design organization within Salesforce was under a constant state of flux and reorganization.

Give designers a seat at the table, and do more then talk about design leadership and initiative.

Best days behind us

I worked at Salesforce

Pros

Good money for less work; work life balance; my advice is to 'rest and vest'

Cons

Falling behind others in terms of tech stack; lot of homegrown solutions that can't be taken elsewhere

Excitement and opportunities for those who are driven and lean toward positivity

Current Employee - LMTS in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - LMTS in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, the company culture seems very open and encourages honest self-reflection, but there's definitely a bias toward people who are naturally positive and seek opportunities. If you're a team-focused, positive, cheerful, driven person, this is a company where you can make huge strides in a very short amount of time.

Cons

First, it's NOT a startup, and while the company seems to have a great future ahead, it's not a fast-growth place where you're going to get catered meals, massages, and toys to play with every day. This shouldn't be a problem, but since the HQ is in San Francisco, people are reminded of all the perks and opportunities that abound just around the corner (or in Silicon Valley). Also, while the company is a great place to work, it tends to favor extraverts and people who desire to move up or who want to do lots of things outside their current job role. Being surrounded by "movers" like this can be exhausting if you're one who wants to be "comfortable" and seeks to achieve work-life balance.

It's a great company, and I love my job and the opportunities there. However, as I consider moving to the next phase of my life (marriage, children, taking care of my parents), I want to see more examples of people who are successfully balancing work and life goals. I want to see people like this rewarded and help up as role models just as much as the latest hackathon winner who spend 3 days without sleeping, or the "rain maker" who worked many many hours to land a big deal.

Great company and culture, too much politics.

I worked at Salesforce full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Philanthropic model (1:1:1), impressive amount of involvement and presence in the SF community, culture is still fun even at the size and growth rate.

Cons

I am only giving the company three stars because while I enjoyed the perks of working for a well respected, game-changing company, I also did experience some negative experiences due to incompetent management, a high rate of turnover, and a limited amount of growth within the company. I felt as though there was a lot of brown nosing going on, and the politics was a huge reason for my departure. I also encountered more than 5 managers in my 2 1/2 years there which was disconcerting.

There needs to be more cultivation of management staff. People should not be promoted into a people manager role until they have completed training and should be required to go to on-going training courses so they can better manage staff. There is so much talk about personal and professional growth, but I rarely actually see it being implemented. This is something that should be addressed within the entire organization.