Salesforce

Great company

Current Employee - Intern in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Salesforce

Pros

Great company to work for, great benefits

Cons

none, overall a great company to be a part of

none

Growing but challenged

Current Employee - Customers for Life in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customers for Life in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great brand, solutions and frenetic pace

Cons

Company is changing quickly. Culture is less transparent than compared to the past and there is a new management style.

Change is always challenging but culture beats strategy every day of the week.

Rampant sexual harassment and management doesn't care

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, NM

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In the time I've been here, I've learned a ton, been promoted repeatedly, traveled extensively and had great opportunities, but the whole experience has been overshadowed by harassment from executives and I am not alone in that experience

Cons

There is a culture of sexual harassment within Sales and Marketing. It seems to be tacitly approved by management, so women don't bother to report it and male executives treat this place like a playground on which to prey on young women. Makes it hard to do your job well.

Marc, you're a big philanthropist and have done wonderful things for the city of San Francisco, but it's time to look at what's happening within your own company. The worst offenders tend to bring in the biggest deals, so it's no wonder that nothing changes if management won't step up and say that that type of behavior is not accepted here.

Salesforce Response

Feb 10, 2015

We are very sorry to hear about your experience. We take our Code of Conduct and these allegations very seriously. We would like to learn more so that we can address your concerns. We have a zero ... More

Unless you are Sales, stay away.

Former Employee - Platform Analyst/Systems Administrative in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Platform Analyst/Systems Administrative in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Salesforce

Pros

The barista is a total sweetheart.

Their offices are nice too... but putting lipstick on a pig doesn't make it pretty.

Cons

For being a tech company, this place could not keep anyone in IT for longer than 2 years, it seemed. Salesforce has a ridiculous hierarchy that is rather militant in the way it handles internal communications ("My door is always open; however, you better not come to me before person a, b, c, and d"). There is 0 transparency although they preach this in every pointless meeting they make you sit through.

This company caters heavily to the Sales side of business, and no where else. If you are IT in any sense of that side of business, then you can expect to be held to your best performing day for your entire career no matter how much of an outlier that day was, if you prove to be competent with what you do you can expect to be overloaded with work enough for those who are not, and then held to their expectations on top of your own. Oh, and those people will get promoted before you, because you are too "valuable" to move from your spot. And you can never expect to hear what you do right; every 1:1 you have with management is everything that you could possibly be doing better, always. No thanks, no 'atta-boys, nothing.

You think you have co-workers in other departments? The people you assist are your companies User's that you support? Maybe these co-workers/users are your future friends/buddies? No. You have customers. And you treat them as such at all times.

Your co-workers for the first few months of being hired are pretty great typically, until the vibe of this company is finally realized; which leads them into the cutthroat, every (wo)man for his/herself environment that management breeds.

As a cherry on the top; Salesforce has this underlying community called femmeforce. Now this could be innocent, and it could potentially do a lot of great things; however this is not what it is being used for and many of the current management are women who are extremely active in this community for the wrong reasons. In our office 90% of the people who are leaving/being bullied out are male, and 70-80% of the new hires are women. The obvious preferential treatment, and the lack of others who care enough to do anything about it is ulimately why I left this company. I performed in the top 5 of a 40+ member team consistently across all stats; closures, professionalism, "customer" satisfaction, SLA; however, I was still offered an ultimatum: a severance package that is really hard to look away from, or the promise of an official write up that would not go the way I wanted, just because I was male working under a radical feminist. That is not a joke, and not an exaggeration.

Stop treating your employees like call center employees, stop preaching things you do not follow through on
    (such as transparency), and learn to listen to your ground troops. Your managers do anything to cover their own backs. Also, pay your IT staff, especially your salesforce admins, at least the market average. I mean come on, they are Salesforce Admins for Salesforce, and the salary is almost laughable.

Broad experience with management and individual contributor roles in Sales and Customer Service

I have been working at Salesforce

Pros

Great benefits and an exceptional product and engineering team

Cons

The fast paced environment challenges a good work life balance

Management changes are frequent and the related politics make for an unhealthy work environment in some teams

Not the same company as a few years ago.

Current Employee - Employee Success in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Employee Success in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I used to spit the pro's of this company off the top of my head without thinking twice. I felt lucky to be in this environment and apart of something real, exciting and completely innovative. Now, I struggle to find the words and reasons that keep me coming into work daily. The people are wonderful. Highly intelligent, great sense of humor, most have an acute sense of awareness and urgency to pull off miracles. New technology, living and breathing what you're selling. Ability to problem solve.

Cons

SFDC has changed since I joined several years ago. We are a huge, bureaucratic company now. We've hired the senior leadership straight out of Oracle and I fear we are moving towards that culture every day. The reason most of us joined Salesforce and not Oracle in the first place is because we wanted to innovate, influence and create meaningful work. Well, while you scale as quickly as Salesforce has, you run into challenges in all of these areas. Mostly due to the leadership changes at the executive level. We've watched wonderfully passionate leaders get let go and they've been replaced with people who aren't innate to our culture or vibe. They try to speak our language and stimulate the "hearts and minds" on conference calls but fall short. They are too far removed from the baseline employees. The ability to influence upper management has decreased; we've created several layers of management over the past few years but given them no guidance or training on how to be an effective leader. In the past year, I have had more than 7 managers in my group. We are no longer a start up, I get it, but feeling like you cannot innovate or inspire is stifling. I feel like a number in a big company who is too segregated from anyone willing to listen. I'm burnt out and no longer feel that Salesforce deserves my time, health or energy. I'm tapped out.

Where is the passion internally? Why are we hiring all of Oracle's leaders while we watch some of our most passionate and influential ones leave? Who is actually listening to the employees anymore? The whole shift over the past 2 years has been disappointing to be apart of. I would really like to see more engagement.

Unprofessional ethics and top management

I have been working at Salesforce

Pros

Enthusiastic lower level developers and engineers

Cons

The top level management like directors , program managers are pretty immature and behave unprofessionally. They poke their nose in matters where they are not supposed to. Obvious they dont have lot of work to do and just jump in every meeting and talk nonsense.Consulting for salesforce has been painful. They have irrelevant personal conversations in the meetings which annoys consultants from other firms. Still they are behaving like a start up company and never being matured. The height of immaturity is when they make fun of other company's boss and consultants right in front of them.

The path to success could become a path to self destruction when you have immatured project managers, program managers and directors. You don't treat other consultants with respect or trust their work, it is going to leave a black mark on your company's culture. Time to reevaluate their potentials as they don't seem to have enough work to do

Don't believe the hype

Former Contractor - Human Resources in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Human Resources in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Salesforce as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Some smart people and great locations in downtown San Francisco. Dreamforce is fun if you are an employee - not so much if you are a contractor.

Cons

Old technology
    Über political
    Phony as all hell
    Managers manage up but don't care about their people.
    It's a total sales and marketing machine but not much fun to work at.
    All about the QBR.

Stop lying to yourselves and your customers. Most importantly value employees who aren't in sales, marketing or engineering.

Great Place to Work?

I have been working at Salesforce

Pros

the base salary is O.K.

Cons

too many to list here

you need more realistic sales goals

Senior Manager

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Salesforce

Pros

Leading technology. Open to telecommuting. Robust recruiting program which provides vast opportunities for young graduates.

Cons

Highly political environment. Not open or embrace a " different" way to solve problems or approach challenges.

Really understand and embrace people not product alone will sustain company success.