Salesforce

3.8
1,129 Reviews

Salesforce Chairman and CEO Marc Benioff
Marc Benioff

Pros
  • People value a work / life balance and it's easy to maintain if you stay focused (in 53 reviews)

• Some really smart people working here and the work-life balance has been really good (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be tough to achieve given how competitive people are to move up (in 76 reviews)

• Long hours and pushes at quarter ends to close deals (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

520 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Still a lot of opportunity to learn, connect, and chart your own course, but Big Company culture is encroaching.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've spent over 8 years with Salesforce in various management and individual contributor roles, all customer or partner facing. Some of the pros:
    - vibrant, fast paced culture
    - smart, fun, aggressive colleagues
    - management is focused on latest tech trends and staying or becoming a leader for many of them
    - by and large, customers and partners are very positive about the technology
    - good benefits and perqs
    - hip urban culture at HQ
    - a chart-your-own-course mentality that rewards those who aggressively seek out the job they want and pursue it, or sometimes even create it

Cons

After my long tenure and many Dreamforce conferences, I'm nearly fried. To say the culture is fast paced and the focus is always changing is an understatement. The reason Salesforce always seems on top, and chasing the latest trend, and in the press, is because employees are expected to run harder, carry more, cheer loudly, and pivot constantly. It's the world's biggest startup in behavior. But at the same time, with the recent influx of top career sales leaders from Oracle and what appears to be a board-level mandate for doubling revenue, employees are being asked to do even more with even less, fill higher quotas with smaller territories, less help, and the big company bureaucracy is rearing it's ugly head.

Worse still is the politics. When you hire a bunch of smart, aggressive people, and put them in an environment of outsized expectations, throw in a bunch of re-orgs and changing management, and sprinkle with uncertainty and constantly changing priorities, you inevitably get people back stabbing each other and throwing others under the bus to appear smarter and more worthy of promotion.

The few at the top will get very, very rich. The rest will lose the sense of personal ownership and start to wonder why they've given up health and family

The further you get from the foundational vision of creating great products and ensuring customer success, and instead recruit big company people focused on ego and self-promotion and growing a fiefdom, the more Salesforce starts to become just another Oracle or SAP or Microsoft. My sense is, that's what the board wants. If so, so be it. There will be another innovative and passionate startup to disrupt salesforce some day soon.

I enjoy working in such a big company where your value is recognized.

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have the ability to learn and keep learning internally and externally.

Cons

Not enough free food.

Just be awesome employers so that you can make it hard on your employees to leave.

Great culture, can find interesting projects, but slowly moving to large corporation mentality

Current Employee - Principal Performance Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Performance Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Managers re goal oriented, if you want can always find interesting projects to advance your skills. Employees are valued. Amazing benefits

Cons

As company grows it is slowly moving to typical large corporation where meetings take over results, hiring can be done based on "we need to hire anyone not to loose quota)

Trim some fat, gain start-up philosophy where result matter not process.

A great company with room for improvement.

I have been working at Salesforce

Pros

I started working at Salesforce as my first post-graduate job and I definitely made the right choice. The people that I work with are all A-players and the upper management is all willing to make time to talk to anyone. Salesforce is also a very fun company to work for because people have passion surrounding their work, but know when it's time to cool off. Lastly, our products are world-class, and I love being able to evangelize them both during work and after hours.

Cons

There are a lot of issues surrounding internal promotions, there's no way to sugarcoat it. People need to re-interview for every position and they are compared to their peers as well as external candidates, which ends up making people claw their way to promotions. I understand that it's the best for the business to hire the best for each role, but this does hurt morale and I think that overall becomes a negative impact on the business.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Finance Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce

Pros

Good opportunty and growth potential

Cons

full of politics and bacstabbers, long hours

down to earth

Overall EXCELLENT

Former Employee - Human Resources Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Salesforce as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

fast paced - things happen at Salesforce, great people, decisive management

Cons

the use of corporate google email

Not the same company as a few years ago.

Current Employee - Employee Success in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Employee Success in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I used to spit the pro's of this company off the top of my head without thinking twice. I felt lucky to be in this environment and apart of something real, exciting and completely innovative. Now, I struggle to find the words and reasons that keep me coming into work daily. The people are wonderful. Highly intelligent, great sense of humor, most have an acute sense of awareness and urgency to pull off miracles. New technology, living and breathing what you're selling. Ability to problem solve.

Cons

SFDC has changed since I joined several years ago. We are a huge, bureaucratic company now. We've hired the senior leadership straight out of Oracle and I fear we are moving towards that culture every day. The reason most of us joined Salesforce and not Oracle in the first place is because we wanted to innovate, influence and create meaningful work. Well, while you scale as quickly as Salesforce has, you run into challenges in all of these areas. Mostly due to the leadership changes at the executive level. We've watched wonderfully passionate leaders get let go and they've been replaced with people who aren't innate to our culture or vibe. They try to speak our language and stimulate the "hearts and minds" on conference calls but fall short. They are too far removed from the baseline employees. The ability to influence upper management has decreased; we've created several layers of management over the past few years but given them no guidance or training on how to be an effective leader. In the past year, I have had more than 7 managers in my group. We are no longer a start up, I get it, but feeling like you cannot innovate or inspire is stifling. I feel like a number in a big company who is too segregated from anyone willing to listen. I'm burnt out and no longer feel that Salesforce deserves my time, health or energy. I'm tapped out.

Where is the passion internally? Why are we hiring all of Oracle's leaders while we watch some of our most passionate and influential ones leave? Who is actually listening to the employees anymore? The whole shift over the past 2 years has been disappointing to be apart of. I would really like to see more engagement.

Salesforce is an competitive, intense, innovative, and collaborative work environment

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company will invest in their employees. Good benefits.

Cons

Work-life balance. Growing pains culturally transforming into a large corporation while still trying to keep a start-up environment.

Managers need to invest more time in how to be better people managers. There are lots of managers who are great performers and deliver, but they are not good at managing people, and therefore their teams suffer at the hands of poor leadership.

Great place to be depends on what your priorities are

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Salesforce

Pros

Smart people, fast paced,many new cool stuff to work on if you want to go crazy, pay you well, can learn a lot at your early stage in career

Cons

Lot of changes, politics in technology, expect more than usual from employees, if you have a large commute and kids to handle then you will suffer and feel hard to do *everything well, stocks will handcuff you so beware and move on if you are saturating

Delighted customers Delighted employees

Current Employee - Strategic Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Strategic Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce

Pros

I enjoyed my long run at salesforce.com. I am proud of what we accomplished as an organization and as a market maker.

Cons

The annual change in brand and value prop is distracting. Customers have a hard time following sfdc's product direction.

2012 - 2014 saw a major change in access to executive management. C-Level alignment with customers was once a major differentiator.