Salesforce.com

Salesforce.com Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Salesforce.com Chairman and CEO Marc Benioff

Marc Benioff

Pros:
  • "Great work life balance, ability to work from home and excellent benefits"
    in 34 reviews
  • "Many many smart people to work with and create greater solutions than any one of us could come up with"
    in 56 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very hard driving culture leads for little to no work/life balance"
    in 61 reviews
  • "long hours, cheesey motivational pep talks"
    in 29 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good place to be an individual contributor but horrible for any leadership positions

I worked at Salesforce.com full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDecent product. Great market share and sales engine.

ConsSuper political. Culture used to be high in accountability and collaboration. Now it is very competitive and dysfunctional. Leaders spend a lot of their time trying to take down their peers.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the culture. Stop bringing in people from the outside who want to make their mark at the expense. Prioritize leaders who get things down with vision, strategy, and execution instead of dysfunctional competition.

Great benefits and culture at a market leading company but low level management is hit or miss.

I have been working at Salesforce.com

ProsIf you like working on the latest and most innovative products then this is a good company to work for. The company doesn't play lip service to quality, they truly care. It is a culture where everyone is expected to write quality code and include test code with every checkin. The benefits are very good.

ConsAs the company has grown there are some senior employees that have moved into management positions and they clearly don't belong there. I have seen this happen at other companies as well, the quality of low level managers degrades as the company grows because the only reason they are given the position is their seniority. Poor communication skills, very little effort forming a relationship with their IC's and no idea how to motivate people to do their best work. This is why I'm giving Salesforce.com 3 stars.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some time and money training your low level managers to: be better communicators, learn how to form meaningful relationships with their IC's, and how to motivate people. If manager feedback is poor replace them with someone else.

Took a step back by coming to work here

Global Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee)
Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Salesforce.com full-time for more than a year

ProsThe compensation is amazing, way more than it should be. Volunteer time off is a great perk (that's often abused by employees for extra vacation time). Opportunities for personal growth are there, but lacking in enthusiasm by management. Free beer, wine, and coffee.

ConsYour manager will decide if you like the company or not. The company culture and values that are talked about at an executive level don't make their way to the front-line workers. Turnover rate is high and tension in the office is even higher.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement sits in San Francisco; you folks need to be in better touch with your Portland office.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Middle Management

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Salesforce.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsChallenging work. Great people. Some good benefits. Ability to live/work in San Francisco. Company continues to have a strong reputation.

ConsExtreme growing pains have lead to many overworked/under-valued employees and under-resourced departments. Burn-out is prevalent throughout the company. Although comp packages were historically competitive, they now lag competitively.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to better evaluate hiring and retention strategies to avoid an even greater loss of institutional knowledge than already suffered and recognize attracting and retaining talent involves both competitive comp and well-resourced teams. Investing in infrastructure, especially with ballooning growth, cannot continue to be put off.

Blazing hot marketing & sales, lukewarm technology

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Salesforce.com full-time for more than a year

Pros- Great pay and benefits
- Acceptable work-life balance
- Friendly coworkers
- SCRUM strictly enforced throughout R&D

Cons- Sales and marketing driven company - not a technology company
- Treats engineering as a liability and not an asset
- High attrition

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in fixing the severely broken platform if you'd like to innovate outside of CRM and call-center support.

Great company, terrible politics - Review for the Marketing Cloud

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Salesforce.com full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat, innovative company with amazing benefits, smart people, and opportunities. The majority of the rest of this review is for the marketing cloud in particular.

ConsBeing in the Marketing Cloud in particular, there were many acquisitions and a terrible, negative culture. Now that ExactTarget has become a part of the Marketing Cloud, its a fight for control between Salesforce and ET. Not a fun place to be right now with all the changes and job security is a joke. Many ExactTarget employees and managers that came over from the acquisition are totally unprepared for their positions. Everyone there got promotions and I'd have to say the majority are completely unqualified. I don't see things turning out well.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn a little bit from Salesforce and how they became successful (specifically for the ET folks). Have conversations with your employees and develop honest relationships. Don't micromanage, we work at salesforce because we most likely know what we're doing, and everyone works differently. Calm your ego down. Start leveraging employees' strengths rather than beating up their weaknesses. Most of all, good luck... personally I won't be here much longer.

Flag Review

Salesforce.com Employee Success Team responded to this review

Mar 26, 2014

Thanks so much for your review! We agree there's always room for growth. One of the ways we're looking to facilitate more #dreamjob experiences is by sharing reviews like yours with executives so ... More

Manager

I worked at Salesforce.com full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNo longer a start-up, it's a big company now. Lots of friends working there. Being located in the heart of San Francisco is a plus. A ggod place to get your career started.

ConsAs a big company, it was harder to get things done. Executives are not always in sync. It seems they prefer to hire from the outside rather than promote from within. Lots of changes going on these days.

Crazy pace, great place for adrenaline junkies

Senior Recruiter (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Salesforce.com as a contractor for less than a year

ProsA great community/volunteer spirit, high energy, fast pace, generally good support for IT to get job done. Many smart and committed people there. Good opportunity to advance and also move laterally if you find a sponsor for you to do so. If you want to work hard and party really hard, this is the place.

ConsLeadership seems to like to create needless chaos. Leadership is uneven and HR is a mess much of the time with seemingly illogical organizational choices and lack of true commitment to really create a good workplace. Wildly overworked people due to much of the company not working smart. Oh, and given the insane number of hours people work, up the vacation benefit - too low and a severe issue for getting people into the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you have the right leadership in place at the next-to-EVP layer - stop making illogical decisions and directives that cause scrambling for the lower levels of employees. Learn how to do an effective internal communications rollout so people are informed of change in a respectful, informative way.

Great place to work!

I worked at Salesforce.com

ProsGreat place to work! I loved the collaborative atmosphere that my team had and the sense of community in the company. There is also a lot of opportunity to move up quickly.

ConsThe fact that there are multiple buildings dispersed throughout San Francisco makes it difficult to collaborate across teams. Some meetings feature a Go To Meeting or phone call with someone a ten minute walk away.

Awesome!

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)

ProsVery well organized.
They care about personal life more than professional life.
Perfect work allocation. As, every thing is well pre planned.
1-1-1 towards well-fare.
Working under leadership of Marc Benioff!!

ConsFor me at-least commute is too long.
Everything is perfect. no other cons i could think off.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Flag Review

Salesforce.com Employee Success Team responded to this review

Mar 17, 2014

So glad you're having such a great experience!

Worked for Salesforce.com? Contribute to the Community!

Salesforce.com Videos

Salesforce.com – Why Work for Us?

Salesforce.com's social and mobile cloud technologies are helping companies connect with their customers, partners and employees in entirely new ways and revolutionizing the way businesses sell, service, market, and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Salesforce.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Salesforce.com CEO Marc Benioff. All 810 reviews posted anonymously by Salesforce.com employees.