Salesforce.com

Salesforce.com Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Salesforce.com Chairman and CEO Marc Benioff

Marc Benioff

Pros:
  • "Great work life balance, ability to work from home and excellent benefits"
    in 39 reviews
  • "Many many smart people to work with and create greater solutions than any one of us could come up with"
    in 58 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very hard driving culture leads for little to no work/life balance"
    in 64 reviews
  • "long hours, cheesey motivational pep talks"
    in 29 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great culture, minor growing pains

Product Owner (Current Employee)

ProsCommunity oriented, results-driven, fast-paced, constant challenge

ConsRoles and responsibilities can be fuzzy, fast pace means less time to enjoy awesome perks like paid volunteer days.

Great Company growing too fast

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsBenefits are great (not direct compensation), progressive work structure, work-life balance, training dollars, Salesforce volunteer foundation (1/1/1 model)

ConsSFDC is growing by leaps and bounds, this has created a situation where tons of business processes are needed and nonexistant. Normally this wouldnt be an issue but the response to need has become "you cant do that" instead of "how can we get this done". Compensation below average (total package is pretty good though)

Advice to Senior Managementget better about solidifying nimble business processes and consider increasing compensation percentages

Best sales job I've ever had

Account Executive (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat company culture. Everyone on my floor either has the same job as I do or manages people in my role. There isn't a single person who wouldn't help me on a deal.
    We do a great job of using our own product to run our business.
    Sales management is mainly promoted from within, they are very helpful on deals.

ConsOne time we ran out of the BBQ flavor Pop Chips, but it wasn't for very long.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep promoting from within.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incredible employee benefits, mean employees

ProsGreat company benefits, beautiful office buildings, free snacks, time off is super easy to get, Employee perks are amazing! Free $100 every month for gym memberships, massages, etc.

ConsCulture here is very elitist, teams are cliches, inappropriate office conversation (often about incessant drinking), some very rude employees, managers who aren't capable at managing but were made managers because they were good in another field. Growing too quickly to really pick quality people with character. Witnessed quite a few bullies on my team and others.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps character is not as important to everyone anymore, but I've seen bullying and hazing occur within Salesforce.com. And I think those put in manager roles shouldn't be management just because they closed big deals in a different position within the company, but because they are good at leading teams.

Global Service Desk (GSD) - Internal Tech Support

Global Service Desk Analyst - Tier I (Current Employee)
    Hillsboro, OR

ProsWas a great team of analysts. The team is split into three distinct groups - Tier1, Tier2 and Ops. Within the Tier1 team there are two sub groups - FTE's and Subcontractors. All in all the groups work well together, and try to support 10k+ client base. All work is remote or telephone. All work is supporting SFDC internal clients, with mostly software and account related issues, including mobile, laptop, desktop across WIN7, Mac, Linux. There is a good amount of repetitive daily work, however each day will certainly bring new challenges. The GSD is a decent place to pick up new skills, and expand your skill set. they are VERY VERY open to multiple creeds, orientations, cultural and ethnic backgrounds..7 thumbs up. A lot of onsite perks like free food and drink, a barrista, basketball and volleyball courts. A great multi-station kitchen, and BBQ. Great people to work with.

ConsShift in focus. SFDC is very, VERY concerned with their culture, and if you ( the perspective person) plays well with others. My three interviews were all entirely about the cultural aspects of working in a large corp. At no time was I asked a technical question. At no time was I asked to demonstrate my skill set or show any competency. SFDC's GSD management team believes that you do NOT have to have prior experience or qualifications in Technology, IT, or Customer support, simply that you "play well with others", are relatively intelligent, and able to learn "processes" . In fact I was told that anyone who could follow process directions could be an effective GSD Analyst. There are people on the respective teams that have never worked in a any capacity prior to landing that position. 60% of all work done seems to be accomplished by contractors, who do not have most of the luxury's. incentives, or internally provisioned opportunists that Full time employes have.

As the focus has changed from a team centric issue resolution model to a metrics based model morale has dropped. The very present feeling of being part of a team working toward goals and supporting the company had been wiped away and replaced with a very specific and very real undercurrent of individualized accomplishment and and office politics. If you thrive in conditions where you must meet particular goals, do not mind the need to curry favor, and are willing to do what ever it takes to accomplish the arbitrary personal and opposing team "goals" then you will be happy here. If you are able to take sudden and unexplained changes to the goals you are attempting to meet in stride, you should thrive on
    this team. There is a definite attempt to split both FTE and contractors but also tier1, tier2, and Ops, conceptually and even physically with in the building. this breaks any chance of cohesion or inter team trust or sharing.

The biggest issue, unfortunately is the "game" that is played. This is mostly present at levels above you while still attempting to instill a sense of common accomplishment, ensuring you are able and willing to either turn on your teammates, or "cook" the numbers, in order to meet set goals.. To be fare, it is fast paced, innovative work, and the actual people you may work with are great individuals, even some of the management team. However (literally) nepotism, sexual bias, and personal agendas are very evident on the team, with a break in vision and focus at all levels. Essentially it's a battlefield with minimal transparency

Advice to Senior ManagementCompartmentalization, lack of transparency and a turn away from GSD's culture are causing a big drop in moral, regardless of what you are being told. Nepotism, sexually biased agendas, and a desire to meet a number, rather than provide a great service, is why GSD is unable to rise to the opportunity. Your MBA does not make up for common sense or humanity. Try to remember why those below you were hired (even if you didn't hire them). Those working under you are not commodities, they are people, and will work harder with a carrot, rather than a stick. Unfortunately you HAVE turned GSD into a T-mobile or Stream like call center.

Great company to work with, has kept on growing in the past seven years

QE LMTS (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsMany opportunities to grow, ability to work with many different scrum teams, similar process across teams, lots of communication and openness across the company, yearly settings of goals

ConsMany different scrum teams brings up its own challenges, sometimes other teams will add work to your backlog and you will be required to sign off without much notice, siloed information across different units

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep promoting open communication across all levels

GSD San Mateo was much better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood atmosphere, lot of company perks and fun place to work. Lots of projects you can get in on and gain experience with

ConsHad to train my replacement. Company didn't seem to give a damn that they were affecting technical support for whole company by moving their service desk to Portland

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile the GSD move to Portland was smart financially, it was dumb to cut very experienced GSD people in San Mateo office.

Dream job

ProsI can't stop gushing about my job to others. Great salary. The people are brilliant. Transparency is a requirement. Everyone is personable. Customers love us. The growth is exponentail for an already mulit-billion dollar company. Philanthropy always comes first, reiterated from the top down. I find something new everyday that makes Salesforce a great place to work. I used to think Google or Twitter were the pinnacle of tech, but after having had opportunities at both, I couldn't imagine why anyone would work anywhere else but Salesforce.

ConsSlow IT department. Hard to find an Org chart to navigate through the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone admires upper management so much. It would be great for morale to see the faces of the C suite make the rounds around the offices once in a while.

Great people to work with

Senior Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsGood culture.
    Strong peer engineers.
    Good work life balance.
    I have never had issue with vacations or taking time off.

ConsSome orgs have lethargic decision making processes in some teams. If we don't innovate fast enough, competition or disruption will catch us.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more autonomy to the individual contributors.

Employee Satisfaction

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsCareer development is a priority. The company makes an effort to care about each person as an individual and offers competitive salaries, defined career progression, and an excellent work environment. Ability to work from home or work remotely as needed. Performance is valued over time spent.

ConsLocation strategy is incredibly San Francisco centered - don't expect leaps and bounds of advancement outside of HQ, but that's really any company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. Walk the walk. Take COO/SVP-level all-hands seriously. Follow through with the positive message that is sent.

Worked for Salesforce.com? Contribute to the Community!

Salesforce.com Videos

Salesforce.com – Why Work for Us?

Salesforce.com's social and mobile cloud technologies are helping companies connect with their customers, partners and employees in entirely new ways and revolutionizing the way businesses sell, service, market, and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Salesforce.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Salesforce.com CEO Marc Benioff. All 911 reviews posted anonymously by Salesforce.com employees.