Salesforce.com

Salesforce.com Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Salesforce.com Chairman and CEO Marc Benioff

Marc Benioff

Pros:
  • "Great work life balance, ability to work from home and excellent benefits"
    in 34 reviews
  • "Many many smart people to work with and create greater solutions than any one of us could come up with"
    in 56 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very hard driving culture leads for little to no work/life balance"
    in 61 reviews
  • "long hours, cheesey motivational pep talks"
    in 29 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Best Career Move Ever

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Salesforce.com full-time for more than a year

Prosamazing culture and very upbeat atmosphere. Great perks including stocked kitchens with food & drink, gym reimbursement, career advancement and trips to Hawaii!

Consit's a sales organization so if you don't like a quota look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to keep the lines of communication open as we already do and make sure to keep the small feeling culture as we continue to expand and grow

Apr 8, 2014

We appreciate your comments!

Best career move ever made!

Senior Account Executive (CBU) (Current Employee)

I have been working at Salesforce.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI have been employed by salesforce.com for over 3 years and it is exciting to be at a growing, leading edge company. We attract excellent talent and have a culture of teamwork which makes it a pleasure to go to work everyday. I'm proud to be at a company that gives so much back to the community and supports my efforts to give back. Success at salesforce.com has provided me with amazing financial rewards as well as career advancement.

ConsInnovation and growth requires effort, constant change and refinement. Some may look at this as a negative but most here find it exhilarating.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue your rigor around hiring the best talent and producing a product that drives value to your customers.

Amazing product, leadership, earning potential and career growth. 6 promotions in 8 yrs. $ in the bank. I am a lifer!

Regional Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Salesforce.com full-time for more than 8 years

ProsYou are set up for success and you can blow out your comp plan. Great benefits and Better people. The best pay for the work I know of.

ConsNot good if you dont like to work hard and challenge yourself. To excel you need to put in the hours and have a desire to be a top performer. There are no free lunches.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Apr 8, 2014

This is great to hear - thank you!

Exponential

Project Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Salesforce.com full-time for more than a year

ProsPersonal growth and rate of promotion are unparalleled. My career has moved quickly and as I excel, my colleagues and management are great at recognizing it. This company is good at propelling those who are high-achievers, type A personalities.

ConsReally fast paced environment with shifting and unclear priorities. The company values are clear, figuring out how to get there isn't always clear.

Advice to Senior ManagementManaging down is just as important as managing up.

Rewarding, Challenging, and Exciting

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Salesforce.com full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBest reason: I'm in sales and its the name "salesforce" alone draws attention from prospective buyers. Great support and team selling systems in place. I have made more money every year since starting here.
Product portfolio continues to increase, so lots more money to make....

ConsSometimes, it can be a little to fast paced.. We never stop. If you like change, its a great place because there is always change here!

Advice to Senior ManagementAwesome company!

Excellent training ground, fast growing company

Account Executive - Small/Medium Business (SMB) (Current Employee)

I have been working at Salesforce.com full-time for more than a year

ProsYoung and vibrant office culture, excellent facilities in Downtown SF. Excellent place to start your career without too much risk. Lots of people to help you along the way.

ConsMust learn the Salesforce way and abide by their playbook. Lot of promotions from within, so a lot of management started from the bottom and made their way up without much experience elsewhere.

Great company to work for

I have been working at Salesforce.com

ProsHigh pay, excellent work culture, great people to work with, loves innovation

Consvery challenging and sometimes stressful work

Member of Technical staff, Software Engineering

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL

I have been working at Salesforce.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent place to work with, with good competitive and knowledgeable people around you. You always feel like you are at the right place

ConsNothing much at this time

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the pace going and always try to uphold the work culture.

Excellent place to work with

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at Salesforce.com full-time for more than a year

ProsInnovation, passion, growth, compensation, bonus, benefits and office culture

Consleadership, project management, work life balance, development, strategies

Great place to work as a software developer, and you'll need to be proactive about your career

Lead Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Salesforce.com full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThis company is growing and has rightfully earned many accolades. The benefits are fantastic, and you'll earn a lot of money if you're smart, motivated, and get things done.

One key piece of advice that I have is to be proactive about your career. It can be tempting to code all day long, but you'll need to take a step back every now and then to chart your course over the next several releases to get ahead and stay in control of your career. If you don't, then others may put you into a direction that you might not like. Take charge and make your case to others, and resources will flow to you if others agree with your vision. That actually ties in well with my next point.

Every year, each of us must create a "V2MOM," which is Marc Benioff's method of distilling down what you want to do over the next year from both a high level and from a detailed level. You start off with a single vision, list your values, determine the methods that will realize your vision, identify the obstacles that may prevent you from realizing your vision, and create metrics that can measure how you know when you've realized your vision. Many people secretly blow it off and just copy their managers' V2MOMs, but if used properly, it really can make a difference in your own career. As one of the leaders had said, you get from it what you put into it. If you really embrace and use the V2MOM, you'll go far both at work and in life. The culture increasingly uses the V2MOM in its decision making and resource allocations. But don't worry; it's not a cult or anything remotely like that.

Salesforce.com invests heavily in its employees. From the high-end office space to comfortable interiors, generous benefits, and firm commitment to meeting and exceeding workplace fairness, policy, and procedure rules and laws, anyone can be free to be themselves at Salesforce.com and do the best work of their lives. I know I am :). I'm an openly gay male, and that has never been held against me (as far as I'm aware, at least).

ConsI hear that politics and such exist at the higher levels, but that's fortunately not visible much at the individual contributor level. If you have a good manager, you don't hear of such things, and you get to just focus on your work and career. So perhaps this is really a 'pro' than a 'con.'

Priorities can and do shift regularly. It's really a part of the nature of software development. Top-down changes of directions can and do occur, though most have been huge successes. If you want a place where you go off into a corner and code on one thing for months or years, then Salesforce.com is not the place for you. Everything is collaborative, and you must be able to work well in a team. If you don't, then you'll hopefully learn quickly :-).

Work-life balance can be difficult to achieve if you are eager to help everyone who comes your way with questions. It's really a matter of self-discipline to achieve a work-life balance, and it's almost all within your control.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a way to promote V2MOM, have people share their personal V2MOM success stories. Don't require people to, but ask for volunteers. People may better embrace V2MOM if they hear personal success stories from others at the individual contributor and lower-level management parts of the hierarchy.

Keep focusing on the streamlining of processes and technologies. Track which teams end up causing delays the most for other teams and invest in improving their staffing so that they aren't a bottleneck anymore. Making this bottleneck data visible across the company may help teams strive to not become bottlenecks themselves. We're moving very fast as a company, though some parts inevitably don't move as quickly as others, which creates bottlenecks.

Mar 26, 2014

Thank you so much for this thoughtful review! You've really clearly distilled the salesforce.com experience, and what it takes to succeed. I'm sure that this will be helpful to future employees ... More

Worked for Salesforce.com? Contribute to the Community!

Salesforce.com Videos

Salesforce.com – Why Work for Us?

Salesforce.com's social and mobile cloud technologies are helping companies connect with their customers, partners and employees in entirely new ways and revolutionizing the way businesses sell, service, market, and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Salesforce.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Salesforce.com CEO Marc Benioff. All 812 reviews posted anonymously by Salesforce.com employees.