Salesforce.com

Salesforce.com Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Salesforce.com Chairman and CEO Marc Benioff

Marc Benioff

Pros
  • Benefits are good and work/life balance is manageable for a company with such incredible growth(in 43 reviews)

• There are so many smart people here, and it's a great place to shape your career(in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be tough to achieve given how competitive people are to move up(in 68 reviews)

• long hours, cheesey motivational pep talks(in 30 reviews)

Still a lot of opportunity to learn, connect, and chart your own course, but Big Company culture is encroaching.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI've spent over 8 years with Salesforce in various management and individual contributor roles, all customer or partner facing. Some of the pros:
    - vibrant, fast paced culture
    - smart, fun, aggressive colleagues
    - management is focused on latest tech trends and staying or becoming a leader for many of them
    - by and large, customers and partners are very positive about the technology
    - good benefits and perqs
    - hip urban culture at HQ
    - a chart-your-own-course mentality that rewards those who aggressively seek out the job they want and pursue it, or sometimes even create it

ConsAfter my long tenure and many Dreamforce conferences, I'm nearly fried. To say the culture is fast paced and the focus is always changing is an understatement. The reason Salesforce always seems on top, and chasing the latest trend, and in the press, is because employees are expected to run harder, carry more, cheer loudly, and pivot constantly. It's the world's biggest startup in behavior. But at the same time, with the recent influx of top career sales leaders from Oracle and what appears to be a board-level mandate for doubling revenue, employees are being asked to do even more with even less, fill higher quotas with smaller territories, less help, and the big company bureaucracy is rearing it's ugly head.

Worse still is the politics. When you hire a bunch of smart, aggressive people, and put them in an environment of outsized expectations, throw in a bunch of re-orgs and changing management, and sprinkle with uncertainty and constantly changing priorities, you inevitably get people back stabbing each other and throwing others under the bus to appear smarter and more worthy of promotion.

The few at the top will get very, very rich. The rest will lose the sense of personal ownership and start to wonder why they've given up health and family

Advice to Senior ManagementThe further you get from the foundational vision of creating great products and ensuring customer success, and instead recruit big company people focused on ego and self-promotion and growing a fiefdom, the more Salesforce starts to become just another Oracle or SAP or Microsoft. My sense is, that's what the board wants. If so, so be it. There will be another innovative and passionate startup to disrupt salesforce some day soon.

This is an exciting, inspirational place of work

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsThe technology is incredible, the focus of the leadership is strong, the commitment to employees is above average, the dedication to customers is the best I have seen in the industry.

ConsThe quotas are out of alignment with the territories. This makes it difficult to achieve goal. It appears that only 50% of sales reps are making their number.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure the quota or goal is logically aligned to the territory.

Great company to work for

Smts (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat company, SaaS, growing, chanllenging role

ConsI can't think of any

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great time but quickly becoming Oracle. Fine if you like Oracle.

Sales (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat culture. I thought work life balance was fine. It is definitely a Sales driven culture with monthly closes and shrinking territories.

ConsHiring lots of senior leaders from Oracle these days. I've never worked for Oracle so I don't know if that's a good thing or bad but I know a lot of unhappy people there these days.

Advice to Senior ManagementReturn to your roots. You can grow without having to lose the culture that made you great.

Pretty good company to work for

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe perks are good. Equipment issued is good. Technology is great. The product itself is rock solid. Been a very innovative company so far.

ConsBrand reconigtion is about 50/50. So half the time people are like "Wow, you work for Salesforce? We use them!" and the other half people are like "Oh, you're in sales?"

The company is hiring like crazy. But the problem is there are more cooks in the kitchen. So things are getting messed up. Reminds me of a giant like Microsoft slipping at getting things out. More doesn't always mean better.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe structure of the organization changes from release to release. So don't be surprised if you have many different bosses all the way up to the top.

Experiences can range based on personal savvy, ability to network, and tolerance/aptitude for politics.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMarc's philanthropic drive is inspiring and demonstrated regularly both in and out of the company. Challenging, fast paced environment, and company growth provides amazing opportunities to excel for those who have the drive and ambition. Prime downtown SF locations. Working with incredibly smart and talented people forces you to up your game. Easy to be on the "kool-aid" with the products. They're awesome and I've personally seen how they can transform a business for success. Compensation/benefits are pretty awesome.

ConsPolitics and egos are rampant and get in the way of getting things done and feeling a sense of accomplishment. Constantly changing priorities combined with ever growing silo'd thinking/execution can impact job satisfaction. Extremely poor management practices due to new/inexperienced managers, managers with egos who don't understand how to lead a "team" to success, and downright unethical behavior with HR turning a blind eye. If you're lucky to get a good manager - someone who advocates for you, highlights your work, and ensures their success through the success of their team - hold on for dear life!

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove management practices through coaching, 360 evals that don't risk retaliation, etc. Address the issues raised repeatedly in the employee survey feedback that is provided year after year. An email survey (with no follow up) is a poor replacement for an exit interview. Very telling where the priorities are.

A great company! A very promising sector!

ProsThis is a true world class company in a very promising sector. The management is great with super vision. I am absolutely have no doubt that this company will achieve even greater success in future!

Conswith the company growing bigger and bigger, some degree of bureaucracy is developing in the company. I hope that the company still maintains its mindset as a start-up company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBest wishes!

Great people, great company.

Vice President (Former Employee)

ProsStrong culture, brilliant staff and engineers, good upward mobility for people within the company. Definitive leadership and big-picture vision.

ConsHeavily sales-driven which can impact the culture to a degree and cause some political strife within the company. High turnover in account management and some struggles with customer service given recent acquisitions and finding alignment between all the companies

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus hard on culture development/integration and continue education for employees about the market, culture, and interpersonal dynamics within the organization. Culture will become the defining factor of leading workplaces as entrepreneurial endeavors grow in popularity...

I'm grateful for the opportunity to work for Salesforce!

ProsThe company as a great leader in the industry holds extremely bright future! Salesforce treats its employees very nicely. I absolutely have no doubt that Salesforce will experience even better growth down the road!

What I enjoy most at Salesforce is the training opportunities of new technologies. I also enjoy the strong compensation and generous benefits.

Consnot any for now. Salesforce is so much better in almost all aspects than any other places that I have worked for before.

Advice to Senior Managementbest wishes!

Great company and great benefits

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsVery competitive salaries + benefits
    Visionary CEO
    Fast growing space with market leading solution

ConsFast pace and high demands can lead to a hectic work life and less home life

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure employees maintain work/live balance

Worked for Salesforce.com? Contribute to the Community!