Salesforce.com

3.8
1,132 Reviews

Salesforce.com Chairman and CEO Marc Benioff
Marc Benioff

Pros
  • Benefits are good and work/life balance is manageable for a company with such incredible growth (in 43 reviews)

• There are so many smart people here, and it's a great place to shape your career (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be tough to achieve given how competitive people are to move up (in 68 reviews)

• long hours, cheesey motivational pep talks (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Still a lot of opportunity to learn, connect, and chart your own course, but Big Company culture is encroaching.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I've spent over 8 years with Salesforce in various management and individual contributor roles, all customer or partner facing. Some of the pros:
    - vibrant, fast paced culture
    - smart, fun, aggressive colleagues
    - management is focused on latest tech trends and staying or becoming a leader for many of them
    - by and large, customers and partners are very positive about the technology
    - good benefits and perqs
    - hip urban culture at HQ
    - a chart-your-own-course mentality that rewards those who aggressively seek out the job they want and pursue it, or sometimes even create it

Cons

After my long tenure and many Dreamforce conferences, I'm nearly fried. To say the culture is fast paced and the focus is always changing is an understatement. The reason Salesforce always seems on top, and chasing the latest trend, and in the press, is because employees are expected to run harder, carry more, cheer loudly, and pivot constantly. It's the world's biggest startup in behavior. But at the same time, with the recent influx of top career sales leaders from Oracle and what appears to be a board-level mandate for doubling revenue, employees are being asked to do even more with even less, fill higher quotas with smaller territories, less help, and the big company bureaucracy is rearing it's ugly head.

Worse still is the politics. When you hire a bunch of smart, aggressive people, and put them in an environment of outsized expectations, throw in a bunch of re-orgs and changing management, and sprinkle with uncertainty and constantly changing priorities, you inevitably get people back stabbing each other and throwing others under the bus to appear smarter and more worthy of promotion.

The few at the top will get very, very rich. The rest will lose the sense of personal ownership and start to wonder why they've given up health and family

The further you get from the foundational vision of creating great products and ensuring customer success, and instead recruit big company people focused on ego and self-promotion and growing a fiefdom, the more Salesforce starts to become just another Oracle or SAP or Microsoft. My sense is, that's what the board wants. If so, so be it. There will be another innovative and passionate startup to disrupt salesforce some day soon.

Experiences can range based on personal savvy, ability to network, and tolerance/aptitude for politics.

Pros

Marc's philanthropic drive is inspiring and demonstrated regularly both in and out of the company. Challenging, fast paced environment, and company growth provides amazing opportunities to excel for those who have the drive and ambition. Prime downtown SF locations. Working with incredibly smart and talented people forces you to up your game. Easy to be on the "kool-aid" with the products. They're awesome and I've personally seen how they can transform a business for success. Compensation/benefits are pretty awesome.

Cons

Politics and egos are rampant and get in the way of getting things done and feeling a sense of accomplishment. Constantly changing priorities combined with ever growing silo'd thinking/execution can impact job satisfaction. Extremely poor management practices due to new/inexperienced managers, managers with egos who don't understand how to lead a "team" to success, and downright unethical behavior with HR turning a blind eye. If you're lucky to get a good manager - someone who advocates for you, highlights your work, and ensures their success through the success of their team - hold on for dear life!

Improve management practices through coaching, 360 evals that don't risk retaliation, etc. Address the issues raised repeatedly in the employee survey feedback that is provided year after year. An email survey (with no follow up) is a poor replacement for an exit interview. Very telling where the priorities are.

Salesforce Services: They actually care about you. Wow!

Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

The Salesforce Services department is the group that companies can hire when they want their instance of Salesforce customized. We're told by management to do more than just customization--we're there to push the limits and transform our clients' businesses. We're each encouraged to speak up when we see something that could be made better and treated as if our opinions matter. We're given respect and treated like experts and professionals from day one. Though the Services department is fairly large, we're treated like individuals and known by the various department heads. Management sticks up for the employees when we get a bad client.

We're always reminded that we are in control of our careers and that there are plenty of opportunities for growth and advancement, even if we choose to stay in the position we currently have rather than moving up to the next level. Our managers are there to help us in our careers and to act as advocates for us. We're encouraged to become experts in some aspect of our jobs.

We have great benefits, great pay, multiple insurance plans, matching 401k, employee stock purchasing programs, volunteer time off (6 days per year), and hassle-free time off requests. I genuinely feel like the company cares about us and promotes a healthy work-life balance. I really enjoy working here, and though I'm constantly approached with offers and recruitments from other companies, I like it here too much to change.

Cons

While the company, as a whole, promotes a healthy work-life balance, the Services department is slowly losing that push. Instead we now have things like a contest to see who can work the most hours, which is really a contest to see who can burn out the fastest and grow resentful the soonest. I understand that as a consulting department, we need to make money and hit revenue goals, but don't do that at the expense of your employees' happiness. There will of course be the occasional emergency sprint that needs longer hours, but the exception is slowly turning into the norm. And when that is the case, we need to re-evaluate how we're selling and planning out projects. As mentioned, a constant push to work longer and more hours without compensation (pay, extra time off, etc) is just asking for us to get grow resentful. Sorry, "winning" a $200 gift card to a restaurant for being the drone who worked the most unpaid, extra hours isn't compensation. This is the number one complain among fellow employees in the Services.

There are some mixed messages about billable hours. Project managers often ask that we don't bill more than 40 hours per week, even though most of us are working more than 40. And over the last year, the message from department heads have been inconsistent and blurry about how we should bill out our time. Everyone I talk to has a different idea, and this inconsistency seems pretty stressful for everyone.

I'm not a fan of mandatory programs that are "for your own good." We recently started a mandatory mentorship program where everyone was a assigned a mentor and required to meet with them on a regular basis. Now, if I wanted a mentor, I would choose someone higher up, either in the company or in my profession, and someone that I admired. Someone that I looked up to and thought "five or ten years from now, I want to be that person in that position." Instead I've been assigned someone who has been here 6 months longer than me and has the same title as I do. And I'm required to meet with this person once a month to do what? Keep asking on a monthly basis "what should I do this month to achieve the level of success that you and I have both already achieved?" I say, make the program available to those who want it and offer real mentor choices.

Continue making employees feel valued and important. Continue promoting and pushing for healthy employees who maintain a healthy work-life balance. Try to keep the culture that Adam Caplan and Bill Kalma created back when the Services department was Model Metrics.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Pros

One of the better corporate environments. There are a lot of challenging work within the company but at the same time, you never feel over worked. Great work life balance.

Cons

I change managers two times a year. It seems like there are a lot of shuffling within middle management.

Wonderful Company

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

Pros

People are great, lots of resources to help you close deals + management support, tons of amazing products to offer customers and prospects. Great culture!

Cons

Culture is extremely "collaborative" meaning you have to be in the office all the time unless you are in front of customers. Territories are shrinking rapidly and hiring still on a rapid pace. Territory is a huge part of your success here and people who have the right accounts do extremely well...feast or famine.

Dear Management, pls. fix territory mapping. When salespeople feel they don't have a chance to hit the number or make any $$ they will go elsewhere. Stop diluting the AE Army or you will lose a LOT of great salespeople.

Fast paced growth with startup mentality but enterprise problems

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Smart, engaged workforce. Transparency is king, and we use our own products every day. Genuinely like the people I work with, and a commitment to having a good time while at work.

Cons

we outgrew our own infrastructure, so many cracks 4 years ago are now gaping holes. Competing against B2C culture when we are B2B.

The towers will be iconic for this company once they are built. However, I feel we will lose our identity if we don't do a serious culture pulse check before that happens.

Engineer

Pros

Good company, great culture, good pay

Cons

Some technical architecture suffers from age, but the problems are well recognized

Great company

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good management. Good culture, seems to value their employees by putting a lot of energy into training.

Cons

The reason why they put so much energy into training is because lots of bureaucracy. I guess being this big its tough to stay PCI compliant so lots of rules to follow. Just need to learn to navigate.

keep up the good work.

Fantastic culture and career company

Current Employee - Lead Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Lead Sales Engineer

Pros

The culture is doesn't have the feel of a big company but more like a well funded start-up. From the beginning you made to feel part welcome and given every resource necessary to be succesful. They also tell you about they prefer to promote from within so start figuring out where, within Salesforce, you'd like to go next.

Cons

Salesforce has 3 major releases each year full of new features. The biggest challenge is staying abreast of these new releases. At the same time, from a sales perspective, this means you have a lot to talk about with your customers - besides this I can't find a con.

Keeping looking for ways to support your employees. You do a great job right now but you can never do enough. Otherwise don't change your culture as it is very special

Great company, growing fast

Current Employee - Communications  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Communications in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The people- smart, witty, tech savvy, fast and really talented people. Perks are great too - I've never worked at a company that treats its employees so well. There's a system and a process for everything. And, Puppyforce of course.

Cons

The fast pace and constant change. You need to get to know people on a personal level, which is great for someone that likes to meet new people. Theres a ton of change that's constantly happening, and making friends along the way makes it better to comprehend, and feel more secure in your own position.

Talk more and give more direction to middle management. Communication is key.

Worked for Salesforce.com? Contribute to the Community!