Salesforce.com

www.salesforce.com

Salesforce.com Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Benefits are good and work/life balance is manageable for a company with such incredible growth(in 42 reviews)

• There are so many smart people here, and it's a great place to shape your career(in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be tough to achieve given how competitive people are to move up(in 68 reviews)

• long hours, cheesey motivational pep talks(in 30 reviews)

If there was somewhere else better...I'd be there... But yep, it has it's problems...

Sales (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe best product by far...bar none. The best visionaries, technical ops (the guys that keep the platform up and running), and internal platform engineers on the planet - these are the guys that deserve all the glory. What is done behind the scenes to keep the app going is nothing short of amazing - several million concurrent users while constantly adding functionality and innovating...and no down time? Come on. It's ridiculous.

The tenured and long-timers that are still around are incredible. They're not only the best in the company, they're the best in the industry. Prove yourself to them and they will take care of you.

If YOU have the drive and the ability, you can build a career path in the company...and if YOU make a case and have something behind it, it's one of the few companies in the world that will allow you to do so. Salesforce will not give you a map when you're hired that shows you a career path...but if you succeed in the role you're giving and prove yourself and earn trust, they'll actually allow you to create your own.

The culture of the company is like nothing else in the world. Yes...you are expected to work more than anywhere else in the world...but if you like philanthropy, no questions asked...go do it - on company time.

The best in the business keep coming on board.

Marc is the best CEO in the business - different for sure - but the best.

For a few years I thought the company had plateaued...several different times (at $750M...at $1B..at $2B...)...but I really do see this company making it to $10B in rev and beyond. Without a doubt.

So if you're considering joining Salesforce but are worried about growth, don't be. That should be the last of your concerns.

Cons"Fillers". I call them "fillers" because that's what they are...people that were hired in haste to simple fill roles in an organization that is growing so fast, they had to be hired quickly. While they may have gone through multiple rounds of interviews, it seems there are many execs that got through that shouldn't have and are just filling a role in the org chart. And they don't do s*&^. They may have had extremely successful positions at other companies, but Salesforce isn't like other companies. They only slow you down...so if you're smart and have your i's dotted and t's crossed, just go over them and it's not really looked down upon.

Tomorrow. You're only as good as the deal you have committed tomorrow. Doesn't matter if you're at 200% of quota for the year 6 months into it ...that actually only amplifies what is expected of you. It's a con...but in reality...it's also not too bad...unless you're in a Sales role that isn't an AE (i.e. SE) because you're capped. Salesforce has the SE's I've ever come across in the industry, and I don't think they're treated as fairly as they should be.

Marketeering. This is a new issue at Salesforce... It used to be the case that marketing & PM were in line and no one sold on futures. Over the past 12 months, that has changed...moving closer to an Oracle-like model where the vision is pitched and then they try to build it.

Equity. I'm not sure who is getting it, but it isn't long term sales people. Seekingalpha? They couldn't be more wrong. Granted, the ESPP program is fantastic, but once you get beyond entry level, it would be nice to see something. It can be disheartening to hear RVP's (in 2012 I swear they only brought in people as RVP's..."What? You're an RVP of WHAT? And have no reports?!?!?") and other new employees talking about selling their RSU's or options when they haven't really done anything for the company yet and you've committed the better part of a decade.

Commit. This is probably the biggest "Con" at Salesforce if you're an AE or in sales. Salesforce is an accurate machine...it really is...based on the subscription model, a great portion of deferred rev is already established and known...but they want your sales opps just as accurate and mgmt will force or override you on your deals if you think differently.

Territory. Don't come to Salesforce thinking you'll be able to pick and choose. It was picked over 5 years ago. You'll more than likely get something you don't want. End of discussion. While it seems like it should be the biggest "con", it's not. Because everything I listed in the "Pros" section means you will constantly have something new and innovative to sell to that minuscule territory you have that no one else can.

I mentioned in the "Pros" section that some of the long-termers (those that have been around 10+ years) are one of the best things about the company. They ARE. There are also a handful of high level execs that just need to go...they don't do anything...they show up at meetings and say hello and leave... and you better keep your mouth shut. It sucks. Because at one time they were amazing. Now, just awful.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow the "Marketeering".

Equity for the "Do-ers" not the "New-ers".

Fast paced culture that attracts and retains very talented team member

Customer Success (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsVery vibrant culture which is focused on education and growth. Company knows how to work and play hard. Very socially minded with a focus on 'foundation' and employees that are generally very nice and respectful. A great focus on 'doing the right thing.'

ConsFast pace can be exhausting at times. The culture is to help each other out and go the extra mile for the customer, which can lead to long days.

Corny seen from the outside. But true depth, passion, belief & product value when you look inside

Product Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSalesforce.com is a hidden gem from an employment perspective. I am sure it looks like Siebel on the outside to some people (just another CRM software company). But it's a company on a mission. With 10,000s of employees you cannot avoid the usual bureaucracy, but the company is strongly driven by mission and I think that is huge.

ConsSalesforce.com is getting big. It may not be what you're looking for.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't get drunk on the stock price. Keep planning and executing for maximum long-term value.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great CEO, great company.

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Good comp plan
    - Amazing product
    - They market themselves extremely well
    - Their 1/1/1 model helps people in need and promotes volunteer work by employees

Cons- Company does little to promote work/life balance
    - Some (not all) managers will suck you dry until you got no blood left - and then you are out
    - Upper management only cares about results and do not listen to front-line employees' concerns

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring. Some of their best employees have already left - and the trend continues, since management does not care about giving them what they need to remain successful.
    Money is a good incentive, but when it becomes only a carrot to people who were successful in the past, realize there is something wrong and at least attempt to identify the root of the problem.

Went in with an open mind and no expectation, 6 mos later I am truly in love

Software Architect (Current Employee)

ProsSalesforce is absolutely a meritocracy. Be excellent, be rewarded. This is the best possible mechanism for retaining people that count. If you're good, you will be recognized. If not, respectfully you are not who we want to work with.

ConsSome technical architecture suffers from age, but the problems are well recognized, fixes are staffed, and the tooling around the problems does a great deal to mitigate them.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain the spirit and momentum. The camaraderie, sense of purpose, and urgency balanced by truly honest work life balance (not the mere lip service so many companies offer) is so vital to our success. Maintain this, add employees at an appropriate pace, and this substantive inertia composed of the qualities above will make continued growth wildly successful.

EA

Executive Assistant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat people, nice environment, cool office

ConsManagement could be disconnected at times

Project Coordinator

Project Coordinator (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAccess to great food/snacks on the job.

ConsMore virtual communication than face-to-face.

Employee Benefits - It's not all about Health and Money

Senior Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSalesforce continuously offers non-traditional benefits to engage and elate employees. Point in fact is the recent ticket giveaway to the great Bridge School Benefit concert. This happens year round with charity, athletic and other events - the gifts keep on coming.

ConsNone - salesforce.com has it's good and bad just like any other company and is not perfect; however, the good far outweigh the bad as salesforce.com tries to improve year after year. They listen to us.

A breath of fresh air!

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- SUPER FUN environment
    - FREE snacks... and FREE lunch chatter group
    - People don't take themselves too seriously
    - Not hierarchical
    - Amazing SF location right across from the Ferry building
    - Listen to the employees to make improvements
    - 48 hours a year to give back on top of your PTO
    - Dreamforce!!!

Cons- Could use more process
    - Things can change often

Advice to Senior ManagementHold people accountable to delivering on what they commit to

#dreamjob?? Maybe for some.

Account Executive (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSalesforce is great company to work for if you fall into one of these two buckets:

1) A few years removed from college and you're looking to cut your teeth in software sales.

2) You have been working for SFDC for 5+ years.

ConsIf you're an accomplished sales rep at another company and looking for a move, here are some things to note about SFDC. These apply if you're looking for an ESB, SMB, MM or Commercial Account Executive role at SFDC:

1) Base salary is about 20-30% lower than most companies

2) They will tell you that on target earnings (OTE) are attainable if you "create your own success." Translation: We expect "butts-in-seats" by 7 AM, and cold calls / BASHO emails being sent all day.

3) Less than 2% of all new AE's reps hit OTE in their first two years (basically, expect to make a base salary). Ask this question during your interview.

3) Your every move is monitored through a dashboard, and people with the most cold calls, call connects, meetings scheduled, etc. win small SPIFFs (Think "Boiler Room")

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are losing good people, so time to start acting like a big company.

Worked for Salesforce.com? Contribute to the Community!