Salesforce.com

3.8
1,145 Reviews

Salesforce.com Chairman and CEO Marc Benioff
Marc Benioff

Pros
  • Benefits are good and work/life balance is manageable for a company with such incredible growth (in 43 reviews)

• There are so many smart people here, and it's a great place to shape your career (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be tough to achieve given how competitive people are to move up (in 68 reviews)

• long hours, cheesey motivational pep talks (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

552 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Still a lot of opportunity to learn, connect, and chart your own course, but Big Company culture is encroaching.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce.com full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I've spent over 8 years with Salesforce in various management and individual contributor roles, all customer or partner facing. Some of the pros:
    - vibrant, fast paced culture
    - smart, fun, aggressive colleagues
    - management is focused on latest tech trends and staying or becoming a leader for many of them
    - by and large, customers and partners are very positive about the technology
    - good benefits and perqs
    - hip urban culture at HQ
    - a chart-your-own-course mentality that rewards those who aggressively seek out the job they want and pursue it, or sometimes even create it

Cons

After my long tenure and many Dreamforce conferences, I'm nearly fried. To say the culture is fast paced and the focus is always changing is an understatement. The reason Salesforce always seems on top, and chasing the latest trend, and in the press, is because employees are expected to run harder, carry more, cheer loudly, and pivot constantly. It's the world's biggest startup in behavior. But at the same time, with the recent influx of top career sales leaders from Oracle and what appears to be a board-level mandate for doubling revenue, employees are being asked to do even more with even less, fill higher quotas with smaller territories, less help, and the big company bureaucracy is rearing it's ugly head.

Worse still is the politics. When you hire a bunch of smart, aggressive people, and put them in an environment of outsized expectations, throw in a bunch of re-orgs and changing management, and sprinkle with uncertainty and constantly changing priorities, you inevitably get people back stabbing each other and throwing others under the bus to appear smarter and more worthy of promotion.

The few at the top will get very, very rich. The rest will lose the sense of personal ownership and start to wonder why they've given up health and family

The further you get from the foundational vision of creating great products and ensuring customer success, and instead recruit big company people focused on ego and self-promotion and growing a fiefdom, the more Salesforce starts to become just another Oracle or SAP or Microsoft. My sense is, that's what the board wants. If so, so be it. There will be another innovative and passionate startup to disrupt salesforce some day soon.

The only constant is change

Current Employee - User Experience Designer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, salary and perks. Hard problems to solve and the opportunity to really make an impact on people's day to day lives on a product with a huge user base. I get to work beside some of the most talented, thoughtful and driven folks I've been involved with in my career. Lots of opportunity to grow your skills in ways you didn't expect. Self-directed people will do well. Don't wait for direction, make your own path.

Cons

The product is complicated - there's definitely a steep learning curve. Things can take a long time to roll out. It feels like I'm always slimming my stuff down based on what engineering can do per release. There's a rather large graveyard of abandoned or dead design projects. Work life balance is a little lacking. It's not uncommon to have at least a couple late nights a week. There's always a re-org happening somewhere, but I suppose that's par for the course at a big company. Getting design appreciated and respected at all levels of the company is a long term project and often a struggle.

Dial back the glitz and demos and pay attention to what our customers are really asking for. It may not always be sexy, but it will make our users happier and our product more complete. Listen to and support the UX team when push comes to shove. The right experience should come first. If it takes more than one release to complete it, so be it.

Best Job Ever

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

One of the best companies to work for. The talent around you is amazing which provides you with a very challenging & creative environment

Cons

Not much really. It is a very fast paced environment when many may not like. But works great for me.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the best place to launch your career

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

-lots of perks, competitive salary
    -office space is nice/ great view in San Francisco HQ
    -lots of useful training for new hires (especially for new college grad, this might be a good opportunity)
    -innovative culture
    -company is very transparent
    -lots of smart ppl to work with!

Cons

The company is growing at a rapid speed, and so should work on aligning goals for different teams going into multiple directions. But we are improving

Great Company to Work For in Enterprise Software

Former Employee - Vice President, Product Management  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President, Product Management in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Salesforce.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

All Levels: Great perks, excellent offices, mostly happy people, good salary and compensation.

At Executive Level: Marc is a visionary. Working closely with him is a lifetime opportunity.

Cons

All Levels: Company is getting bigger - not as big as SAP or Oracle - but no longer a 'startup'.

At Executive Level: The old-timers who have been around for 5-10 years and 'acquired execs' run the show. Very difficult for anyone else to rise up the ranks. Not enough space.

You may be losing key talent in certain areas. Overall, keep up the good work.

Don't become another Oracle - you are 1/3 there especially on sales & marketing side.

Fast paced growth with startup mentality but enterprise problems

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart, engaged workforce. Transparency is king, and we use our own products every day. Genuinely like the people I work with, and a commitment to having a good time while at work.

Cons

we outgrew our own infrastructure, so many cracks 4 years ago are now gaping holes. Competing against B2C culture when we are B2B.

The towers will be iconic for this company once they are built. However, I feel we will lose our identity if we don't do a serious culture pulse check before that happens.

Great company, awesome vision

Former Employee - Senior Director  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Salesforce.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of opportunities, great people

Cons

Not enough structure, career path and promotions difficult to understand

Create more structure on performance reviews

Wonderful Company

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People are great, lots of resources to help you close deals + management support, tons of amazing products to offer customers and prospects. Great culture!

Cons

Culture is extremely "collaborative" meaning you have to be in the office all the time unless you are in front of customers. Territories are shrinking rapidly and hiring still on a rapid pace. Territory is a huge part of your success here and people who have the right accounts do extremely well...feast or famine.

Dear Management, pls. fix territory mapping. When salespeople feel they don't have a chance to hit the number or make any $$ they will go elsewhere. Stop diluting the AE Army or you will lose a LOT of great salespeople.

Great company

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Salesforce.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good management. Good culture, seems to value their employees by putting a lot of energy into training.

Cons

The reason why they put so much energy into training is because lots of bureaucracy. I guess being this big its tough to stay PCI compliant so lots of rules to follow. Just need to learn to navigate.

keep up the good work.

Fantastic Place to Work - the #dreamjob is real!

Current Employee - Biz Dev  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Biz Dev in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Definitely still an entrepreneurial environment, growing fast, with more than the usual amount of attention paid to employee engagement. It is a work hard, play harder spirit - very cool but not for those just looking for a 9-5 gig.

Cons

Not much to report here. Work/life balance can be a little challenging; there is lots to do and the company is growing quickly so if you are looking to just cruise this is probably not the place for you.

Keep up the awesome work... it's really fun to be on the winning team!

Worked for Salesforce.com? Contribute to the Community!