Salient Partners Reviews

1. Good learning, internship experience with great culture

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Salient Partners as an intern

Pros

Really nice people, great culture, very willing to help

Cons

Even for the interns there were pretty long hours and inherent pressure to stay late. There wasn't really any formal training like you see at other internship programs, and a lot of the learning is hands on and on the job. It would've been nice to receive a more formal training (even if just for a week) to catch everyone up on the basics of the industry and the type of work we'd be doing.

Advice to Management

Develop more training programs and work in programs for interns to lead into full time jobs.

Very cliquish

Former Employee - Staff in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Staff in Houston, TX

I worked at Salient Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the managers and staff are very friendly. Office is located in the Galleria area, which gives you plenty of places to choose for lunch.

Cons

I think the worst aspect of this place is how much they 'look their noses down at you'. A very arrogant bunch lead this group (and otherwise work there). What's annoying is that some of the very senior people absolutely rode others coattails to get where they were (or otherwise had family money to begin with). Has a very 'high school' feel as it's an extremely 'cliquish' place to work. You very much have to stroke egos of senior management if you hope to move up anywhere. Also, the company did away with raises for most employees. So now, unless you're one of the "fortunate few" (a quote from an actual email from one of the very senior 'leaders' at Salient) you will not receive any kind of COLA, bonus, etc going forward. Company is NOT family friendly (unless, once again, you're a senior officer or in good with one). Non-existent work life balance, as every week another 'high priority' project would be assigned. I had to miss several events with my family b/c this 'life or death' project just had to get done ASAP Benefits are poor. The cost of medical insurance is very high. The medical they offer isn't even accepted at some medical facilities. Also, 401k match is the least of any company I've worked with. Just wasn't a pleasant place to work overall.

Advice to Management

There's a reason you've had so much turnover in personnel over the past several years.

3. Good work/life balance

Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Salient Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and friendly environment. Everyone is willing to help when needed and work/life balance is good. Work is challenging and engaging.

Cons

With a smaller company, opportunities to move around within the company are on an as needed basis. Many transitions between teams/functions are a bit of a challenge.

Advice to Management

Seek input from employees regarding changes and transitions.

5. Great company with strong leadership.

I have been working at Salient Partners

Pros

Great company that encourage professional growth. Committed to serving the community. Salient focuses on placing employees in positions where their strengths can flourish and weaknesses are not held against them. Open architecture for wealth clients. Proprietary products are available but not exclusively pushed.

Cons

Website and other client facing technology applications are a little behind the times. Investment reporting is not up to par but new applications are being researched.

6. Great company to grow with and to be apart of.. No pain no gain!

Current Employee - Middle Management in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Houston, TX

I have been working at Salient Partners full-time

Pros

Growing company, friendly people from bottom to the top! Respect the HR director for all her efforts to encourage personal and professional development. Has helped me understand how to work with a dynamic group of people.

Cons

Growing pains. Promotions can be hard to come by (but that's changing slowly). Compensation range is all over place. Working in open concept is pretty brutal! Speaking of growing pains.. We have out grown the office space! Time to move!

Advice to Management

Continue to develop and promote your employees from within we have some great people working at Salient! Love seeing all the employees who got well deserved promotions!

Working for Psychopath

Former Employee - Middle Management in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Middle Management in Houston, TX

I worked at Salient Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was good. People are friendly.

Cons

I was hired for a middle management position and had to deal with a moody, sadistic psychopath of a boss. He was nice for the first month; then he started belittling me, mocking me, insulting me and humiliating me, often in front of co-workers. I would be told to do a particular task, but I was not allowed to ask questions and was told to use my own judgment. Then I'd be criticized for making a mistake. One day I'd be told to be more autonomous, then the next day I'd be yelled at for not copying him on a minor email. The company seems nice on the surface, but if you don't fit into the cliquey corporate culture, people will turn on you pretty quickly. And god forbid you have to call in sick because you actually ARE sick! They expect you to be answering phone calls and emails from your sickbed.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on your officers and managers and watch how they treat their subordinates.

8. good experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Salient Partners

Pros

growing organization there is lot of opportunity to learn

Cons

no work life balance no opportunity for growth

9. Love this place

I have been working at Salient Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with great people on interesting projects. Given a huge amount of responsibility and autonomy. Great work/life balance, especially for finance.

Cons

Opaque bonus scheme is frustrating.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

RSS Feed </> Embed