Salix Pharmaceuticals

Salix Pharmaceuticals President, CEO, and Director Carolyn J. Logan

Carolyn J. Logan

First impression

Pharmaceutical Territory Manager (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsPeople seem to generally care and want you to succeed. Take pride in their work ethic. Like a high level of transparency and accountability.

ConsSo far none but I am new.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep making the new hires and santarus reps feel like they are still a "family"

Terrible company

ProsThere is not anything that I consider to be good about this company

ConsThis is a Micro managed company. Everyone wants to leave including me

Great company to work for but some shortsighted leaders

Director (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsGreat company, top management is warm and caring (Carolyn), good salary for company of this size.

ConsFolks were promoted too quickly and their sense of insecutiry put heavy toll on others. Workload is too much even for routine workholics.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhenever you promote your staff send them to leadership/management training so that they can mend well into the senior roles.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked for this company for one and half years.It is the worst experience I have ever had. The company is dysfunctiona

Scientist (Former Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsGood pay; Sometimes free lunch; Nice Christmas gifts

ConsExtremely dysfunctional; employees are not being valued; no work-life balance exist; very unique unhealthy company culture; Stock price is everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees; send your executives to the leadership training classes. You should realize you are developing drugs for patients and not just for making money.

Territory Manager

Territory Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood salary, reasonable benefits, challenging (in a good way) training, and great products (very successful company from an investor standpoint). This company is not for people who don't want to work hard. They reward excellent performance very well.

ConsManagement can be hit or miss, sometimes micro-managing, becoming more like big pharma, which they don't need to do

Advice to Senior ManagementYou train and hire well. Trust in your hires and avoid a top-down micromanaging approach. It pushes out the best people.

Great pay at the expense of work life balance.

ProsGreat pay and benefits. Get week off between Christmas and New Years.

ConsHighly competitive.. Not uncommon to work over 50 hours a week. A lot of travel.

Manage multi-state territories promoting primarily to Gastroenterologist, Hepatologist, Colorectal Surgeons, Spine inter

Pharmaceutical Territory Manager (Former Employee) Charleston, SC

ProsSpecializes in an area of medicine that is ever growing

ConsSmall company with large geography

Territory Manager

Pharmaceutical Territory Manager (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent opportunity to be able to stand out in one's field. Solo territory representatives with large geographies, call specifically on gastroenterology specialists and endoscopy clinics and hospital units.

Sell two different kinds of bowel purgatives: Osmoprep (tablets) and MoviPrep (reduced-volume liquid)... which truly makes you a full-service expert/provider when you walk through the door. There are enough perceived safety concerns about products and competition to maintain necessity for articulate clinical conversations-- therefore keeping the details intelligent and interesting to the rep: there is no chance of being bored or 'sloughing off' with this job. The representatives are "force ranked" and therefore there is no wishy-washyness when it comes to looking at numbers and rankings each month. Your standing in the company will be noticed.

I highly recommend it to people who want 1) to be highly clinical and highly accountable, 2) to run their territory as if it truly were your business, 3) experience that will help them move into a career in medical device sales as this position with Salix appears to have been an excellent bridge for people looking to make that career move.

ConsMore so than with other pharmaceutical companies, you must remain committed to ensuring your own work-life balance, as this easily becomes an 80-hour/week job.

Worked for Salix Pharmaceuticals? Contribute to the Community!